New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC II

Quote Originally Posted by mmdeforrest View Post
    John nodded. “I kept it to relatively broad outlines with Emi. She knows Sidney’s mind has been tampered with, that she was with Ryker in the Rooks, and that she’s a good person who needs her help.” He grinned and glanced toward Ryker. “The thought of you owing her one did have some appeal, though.

“She mentioned that you had provided her with some information about the team here,” John continued, turning back to Keith. “She seemed comfortable enough with what she knows.”
    Keith breathed a sigh of relief at the first bit. "Thank the heavens. My cover story before the Market of keeping it under wraps and just investigating should be enough to hold over and they all know I'm a bit of a stickler for not sayin' more than really necessary."

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    Living Room
    Ryker rolls his eyes and crosses his arms as he falls back onto the cushions of the couch. “Of course it does.” He sighs. “But I’d do anything for Sid, even if it means owning a favor to some ridiculously powerful psychic, who’s teammate’s ribs I broke two years ago. What could she possibly want from me?” He asks, voice dripping with sarcasm.
    He smirks, looking over at Keith. “Did that dweeb think he ever had a shot with a girl that looks like that?”
    Keith ran a hand through his hair. "We need an almost equally psychic to be able to tell. By now I'm sure she has at least 15 different plans."

At the comment about Grayson, Keith tilts his head with a slight scowl and then chuckles a bit. "I'm not actually sure, tried to tell him to take the chance multiple times but he never did. Even tried to get him to write a song for her and everythin'. He's actually pretty cool when you get to know him. Pretty wicked guitar player." Keith rubs the back of his head. "Honestly he was also the first to tell me I should go ahead and tell Kylie how I felt, just waited too **** long."

At the mention of Stella and talking about the team, Keith shook his head. "Only really told her about Stella for the safety concerns. Didn't really tell them about anyone else, though they knew South Side was here and we had a nice discussion on our time at East Side. We mostly talked about Will and how he got here. And then a good discussion on dragons bein' real and music."

“Wait, can we back up a second before we get into a discussion of comparative meditative techniques and go over that bit about dragons, flying busses, and being burned at the stake. It sounds like there are some details I should know about before she comes to high tea tomorrow.”

Indeed, while the bus could be considered a variation on the theme of her family dropping a car on his head, the thought of a dragon or a pitchfork-wielding mob had not been part of his initial mental list of concerns.
    Keith raises an eyebrow. "John, are you telling me you missed the big dragon back there? Actually that shouldn't be much of an issue I'll just be consoling him if my guess on why you're askin' about Emi's preferences is right. Busses and trucks well...... training day a few times I got pitted against her brother and that was NOT a good time." He thinks for a moment. "Then again I may have also jumped the gun and gone worst case scenario with the burning at the stake comment. More so if things go deep south tonight."

He takes a moment to think about his next words carefully. "You should be fine since her brother, while protective, is still a hero type. Should only have to worry if you break her heart or do something really stupid." Keith blinks a few times readying himself to console Grayson when he found out. "Just be yourself, and retain some mystery."

He grimaces and then takes a deep breath. "Main reason I'm askin' advice is finally asked out my crush and......" He has to stop a minute to think of how to best phrase it. "I think the phrase 'Scream into the Void' works here but it's more like the Void is screaming into me if that helps. Also trying to prepare myself if I get good news and have something semi planned."
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-04-29 at 11:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #212

OldWizardGuy

John pinched the bridge of his nose. “Keep in mind, Keith, I’ve only been in town for less than one week and am catching up on the local heroic community. If you wanted to know something about The Longshoreman, Rock Lobster, or Hope and Anchor, I’d be more on top of things. But I’m guessing you couldn’t tell me much about them.

“Well, maybe Rock Lobster, given his YouTube following.

“Anyway, let me see if I have this straight: Her brother, who I was going to ask about, is heroic but overprotective and can throw busses around. Grayson is the name of Draconic, whose ribs Ryker broke a little while back, and he has feelings for Emi that he has never acted on and, for reasons unexplained, doesn’t believe his very intelligent, psychic teammate has picked up his feelings. And while we know that the stunningly beautiful psychic is arriving tomorrow for high tea, we don’t know and cannot predict what her draconic friend, super strong brother, and as-of-yet undescribed father are likely to do.

In addition to that, you want advice on what mental exercises might help you stay calm while you wait for a response from your friend and crush from the team — I’m assuming Burnout, given she was the other one there and you kept surreptitiously glancing at her — is going to get back to you later about whether she is going to go on a date with you. That last formulation hints that there is something more going on than you are telling us right now.

John took a deep breath and let out a sigh.

“And I thought getting the furniture set up on the roof and the food made was going to be the complicated part of this.”

He looked around at his teammates. “Have I missed anything?”
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-05-27 at 09:03 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213

NinjaGuy

“Performing Arts, actually,” the barista answers, leaning her head on her hand. “I play piano, and sing. You like what you hear?”
    "So what can't you do? He smiles around his fork as he takes another bite out of his tart. "And I love it, your music I mean. Definitely looking forward to hearing you live tonight."

“Oooh, one of those ridiculously smart science people, huh? I could never get through those classes. Calculus was enough for me,” she says with a rueful grin.
    Louis waves the compliment away with a free hand. "'Ridiculously smart' would be giving me waaay too much credit. Science was always interesting to me even as a kid, machines especially, but that's probably because my old man's a mechanic. I guess growing up to be a gear-head was inevitable." He looks down into the depths of his cup thinking of the countless hours he spent working alongside his father in their family garage. "So what was it that got you into music?" His eyes linger on Isabelle's lips for a moment before moving up to meet her eyes again.

4. - Top - End - #214

AssassinGuy

Keith runs his hand down his face. "Right, sorry, easy to forget as it feels like it's been way longer."

He takes a deep breath as well before responding to John. "The dragons comment was mostly joking, which I apologize for. He's mostly just going to probably listen to the same song over and over again, and then circle back around to pining and teenage angst. She tries her best not to read the minds of those she is closest too, so his hopes there are, sound but also unlikely."

"I'd like to avoid the brother if at all possible. And yes you are correct, it is Burnout and there is more there than I prefer to go into at this time. Mostly because, positive thinking. Funnily enough that issue is completely unrelated to Emi and her brother thankfully."

Keith sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose. "The furniture and food is going to be the easy part. You can also go early and order some stuff from Sunshine's Bakery over near Bastion. Everything is good there. Good coffee and tea, if you want loose leaf, go to Avian's Roost and tell Owl what you want. He'll get you a good blend."

"Again, sorry for the dragons comment, just lamenting at my sanity in a bit."
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-04-29 at 11:42 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

After everything had gone on and the team dispersed Goldheart went back to the base.

"Mimi, Where's John? I need to speak to him."

6. - Top - End - #216

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Roguewolf View Post
    Keith runs his hand down his face. "Right, sorry, easy to forget as it feels like it's been way longer."

He takes a deep breath as well before responding to John. "The dragons comment was mostly joking, which I apologize for. He's mostly just going to probably listen to the same song over and over again, and then circle back around to pining and teenage angst. She tries her best not to read the minds of those she is closest too, so his hopes there are, sound but also unlikely."

"I'd like to avoid the brother if at all possible. And yes you are correct, it is Burnout and there is more there than I prefer to go into at this time. Mostly because, positive thinking. Funnily enough that issue is completely unrelated to Emi and her brother thankfully."

Keith sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose. "The furniture and food is going to be the easy part. You can also go early and order some stuff from Sunshine's Bakery over near Bastion. Everything is good there. Good coffee and tea, if you want loose leaf, go to Avian's Roost and tell Owl what you want. He'll get you a good blend."

"Again, sorry for the dragons comment, just lamenting at my sanity in a bit."
    “No problem, Keith,” John replied. “I think it’s just my day to annoying dragons. And given the way you have been talking, I think it might be better for me to avoid the brother initially as well.

“As for relaxing, some of that tea you just recommended might not hurt. By the time you walk out and get a cup, I may be back with the furniture. I don’t think I will have enough time to have assembled everything, but we’ll see how efficient I am. A spot of tea looking out at the river for a little bit before the meeting and you’ll be right as rain, as the saying goes.”

John’s eyes widened just a moment as he opened Dark Sky to look at tomorrow’s weather report.

“I think you’re right, though. Going local may be the better option. Having everything overnighted from London might feel a little much for a second date. I’ll try limit myself to something from one of the known sweets shops.

“Although,” he said to himself, “if I go with sweets maybe I should look into something from Brussels or Switzerland. I’ll have to check when the flights arrive from those locations.

John shook his head. “Anyway, I don’t think it will be about the technique, Keith. It will be about settling in and giving yourself some space to freak out then acknowledge and accept your emotions as your honest feelings. Once you get there, it will melt away for a little while. Each time will get a little easier, though.

John switched his screen back to Lowes. “So what do you guys think: Should we go with a metal, wood, or wicker set for the furniture? Since everyone is going to have access to it, I’d like it to be something that works well for everyone.

“I was thinking of something where we can center it around a gas fire pit but I didn’t know if it got cold enough at night.” John glanced over at Ryker. “What do you think? I’ve seen Yuki curl up on the couch and nap in some of her other forms. Would having a fire pit to be able to do that up on the roof be something she would enjoy?”
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-04-30 at 07:57 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Living Room
    Ryker shakes his head at Keith’s description of Grayson. “What a *****,” he mutters. He listens to the back and forth between John and Keith, his face amused. “Nah, John, I think you got all of it.”

“Wait, your second date?” Ryker asks John. “Didn’t you just meet this girl today? Like thirty minutes ago? ****in’ magicians and psychics man…”

“I think she’d love that,” Ryker replies to John’s question about Yuki. “I think one of the reasons she likes Drake so much is that he’s like a ****in’ furnace. So yeah, she’d love a fire pit. Even if we can only use it for a couple months out the year.”

Calvin
    “John is currently in the living room, speaking with Keith, Ryker, and Will,” Mimi answers.

8. - Top - End - #218

GreataxeFighterGuy

Calvin
    “John is currently in the living room, speaking with Keith, Ryker, and Will,” Mimi answers.
    "Thanks Mimi." Goldheart says, Making his way to the Living Room.

"John. You gotta minute? Sorry to interrupt."

9. - Top - End - #219

AssassinGuy

Keith shakes his head. "I'll head over since there does seem to be some extra time and pick up a blend for ya. May also want to get a nap in." Team is probably a good idea but it just tastes like hot leaf juice most of the time.

At John's comment about technique, Keith chuckles a bit. "Guess you're right. Thanks man." Guess I will go talk with myself. Whole other meanin' to it but eh, guess having an answer isn't too bad.

Keith laughs a bit at the comment about psychics and magicians. "Never know what's gonna happen with them. But since that seemed to go well thirty minutes ago, just remember, sweet."

Keith grins at the idea of a firepit. "Would be a cool idea. Though a few options to weigh in on for the actual furniture. Metal might last the longest, but good wooden furniture is a godsend.

As Calvin enters behind them, Keith half waves. "Just a discussion on furniture now man, all good!"

10. - Top - End - #220

OldWizardGuy

Living Room
    Ryker shakes his head at Keith’s description of Grayson. “What a *****,” he mutters. He listens to the back and forth between John and Keith, his face amused. “Nah, John, I think you got all of it.”

“Wait, your second date?” Ryker asks John. “Didn’t you just meet this girl today? Like thirty minutes ago? ****in’ magicians and psychics man…”

Keith laughs a bit at the comment about psychics and magicians. "Never know what's gonna happen with them. But since that seemed to go well thirty minutes ago, just remember, sweet."
    “It’s can be a bit complicated, I will concede. For what it’s worth, it was spontaneous rather than premeditated.”

“I think she’d love that,” Ryker replies to John’s question about Yuki. “I think one of the reasons she likes Drake so much is that he’s like a ****in’ furnace. So yeah, she’d love a fire pit. Even if we can only use it for a couple months out the year.”

Keith grins at the idea of a firepit. "Would be a cool idea. Though a few options to weigh in on for the actual furniture. Metal might last the longest, but good wooden furniture is a godsend.
    “Fire pit it is, then,” John said, placing an order for the set and moving on to the planters. “Maybe I should leave these for phase two so I can make sure I have as much time I think I do.”

Quote Originally Posted by HIDA View Post
    "Thanks Mimi." Goldheart says, Making his way to the Living Room.

"John. You gotta minute? Sorry to interrupt."

As Calvin enters behind them, Keith half waves. "Just a discussion on furniture now man, all good!"
    It looked like the planters were getting bumped to tomorrow. He had no idea what plants would thrive in this climate anyway.

Needing to know about gardening was not an anticipated entry on the list of things he needed to learn fast.

“Sure thing, Calvin. But first, let me bring you up to speed. Stella and I did some work. We didn’t get much, but we were able to determine that Raphael is out there somewhere. We don’t know why he has gone to ground — whether he needs to recover a little or if he is waiting for the Darkwatch to lose track of him. It isn’t much, but it was enough to give Stella hope.

“As Keith said, we were just looking at patio sets for the roof. I, um, am kind of getting it set up for a date tomorrow afternoon.” He offered Calvin a wry smile. “Things have been moving somewhat fast today.”

11. - Top - End - #221

GreataxeFighterGuy

“Sure thing, Calvin. But first, let me bring you up to speed. Stella and I did some work. We didn’t get much, but we were able to determine that Raphael is out there somewhere. We don’t know why he has gone to ground — whether he needs to recover a little or if he is waiting for the Darkwatch to lose track of him. It isn’t much, but it was enough to give Stella hope.

“As Keith said, we were just looking at patio sets for the roof. I, um, am kind of getting it set up for a date tomorrow afternoon.” He offered Calvin a wry smile. “Things have been moving somewhat fast today.”
    "A Date? When the- Nevermind." Goldheart says. waving his hands. "What the Hell is Darkwatch? What do you know about them? Why did they go After Raph and Why aren't we going after them right now?! You seem to be taking this whole situation alittle too casually right now. You talked to Seraph and ****. Where's the plan?"

12. - Top - End - #222

AssassinGuy

"A Date? When the- Nevermind." Goldheart says. waving his hands. "What the Hell is Darkwatch? What do you know about them? Why did they go After Raph and Why aren't we going after them right now?! You seem to be taking this whole situation alittle too casually right now. You talked to Seraph and ****. Where's the plan?"
    Keith looks between Calvin and John as Calvin starts to question him. He shrugs when Calvin asks about the date. "Seems like they fancy themselves a group of monster hunters. Some kinda professional hit squad. I'm gonna research them a bit and see if anythin' I know of another society might line up with theirs, but it's unlikely. Probably also be part of the meeting later. That and the night mission."

Keith looks at the ground a bit sheepishly. "I might also have an idea of how to draw them out, but I've never used the ability before. I'm not even sure if I could control it enough, or have it last long enough for them to come back out." He cracks his knuckles. "Could give it a quick go and see how well it works. Anyone wanna volunteer? Ya just gotta stand right where you are."
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-04-30 at 09:50 AM.

13. - Top - End - #223

OldWizardGuy

Keith looks between Calvin and John as Calvin starts to question him. He shrugs when Calvin asks about the date. "Seems like they fancy themselves a group of monster hunters. Some kinda professional hit squad. I'm gonna research them a bit and see if anythin' I know of another society might line up with theirs, but it's unlikely. Probably also be part of the meeting later. That and the night mission."
    John nods, trying to pull his focus away from trying to make tomorrow a great time for Emi and back into the present moment. The memory of her eyes smoldering from beneath her lashes as she teased him with “your place or mine” made it more of a challenge than he would like to admit.

“All fair questions, Calvin, and I am afraid all I have are frustrating answers. As Keith says, Darkwatch are monster hunters — ones that focus particularly on vampires. They verge on the fanatical and came loaded for bear today. Several of us have observed Raphael’s power profile made him an obvious target for them and he had mentioned them as a threat to me once.

“As to why we aren’t pursuing them right now, we have no leads. They were professional and proficient. Stella and Jaal managed to track them as far as where their getaway vehicle was waiting. Neither Aeryn nor I saw any vehicles that were obvious candidates when we surveyed the area.

“Seraph and I did speak but it was mostly about the evidence at the scene. Raphael drew on things deep within himself when he fought so he knew it was a kill or be killed encounter. I’m glad he was able to get to what, at minimum, passes for safety.

“At today’s 5 PM meeting, Yuki will be projecting an image of the woman who led the attack — the one she showed you at the market — to all of us so we can watch for her.

“If she tracked Raphael to the Market, she at minimum knows he frequents this quarter of the city. We may get lucky and spot her while we are out and about.

“All that being said, I’m open to any ideas of how we can find the Darkwatch or get Raphael back here sooner.

“And I’m sorry if I appear to be taking this lightly,” he replied earnestly. “I’m not. I will concede that my encounter with Emi — Siren — has left me a little distracted. Working with Stella to obtaining what information we have was…well, anyway. She’s the better off for it as it has given her some comfort.

“I suspect I am trying to focus on more pleasant things. I didn’t meant to come across as being callous.

Keith looks at the ground a bit sheepishly. "I might also have an idea of how to draw them out, but I've never used the ability before. I'm not even sure if I could control it enough, or have it last long enough for them to come back out." He cracks his knuckles. "Could give it a quick go and see how well it works. Anyone wanna volunteer? Ya just gotta stand right where you are."
    “Maybe we should talk through this a little more first, Keith,” John said. “You don’t sound confident about the safety of what you are suggesting.”

14. - Top - End - #224

AssassinGuy

“Seraph and I did speak but it was mostly about the evidence at the scene. Raphael drew on things deep within himself when he fought so he knew it was a kill or be killed encounter. I’m glad he was able to get to what, at minimum, passes for safety.

“At today’s 5 PM meeting, Yuki will be projecting an image of the woman who led the attack — the one she showed you at the market — to all of us so we can watch for her.

“If she tracked Raphael to the Market, she at minimum knows he frequents this quarter of the city. We may get lucky and spot her while we are out and about.

“All that being said, I’m open to any ideas of how we can find the Darkwatch or get Raphael back here sooner.
    "I just wish that were all for that meetin'." Keith says with a sigh. Today was starting to get too complicated. "Raph definitely surprised everyone, since there was a lot more blood there. And you're right John, we might just get lucky. Worst case we might find one of the grunts." He still needed to talk to Stella himself about Emi.

“Maybe we should talk through this a little more first, Keith,” John said. “You don’t sound confident about the safety of what you are suggesting.”
    Keith shakes his head. "It only really affects me so this is more just a test run. But....." Keith considered John's words for a moment. "No, you're right. My own mental and emotional state right now it might not hold well."

He scratches the back of his head. "So I've been tryin' out one of my uncle's techniques for controllin' his shadow and if I do it right, it should give me an illusionary appearance. Biggest thing is I have to have seen the person and heard them speak before. I don't generally like having to use it but if we gotta."
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-04-30 at 10:32 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    "So what can't you do? He smiles around his fork as he takes another bite out of his tart. "And I love it, your music I mean. Definitely looking forward to hearing you live tonight."

Louis waves the compliment away with a free hand. "'Ridiculously smart' would be giving me waaay too much credit. Science was always interesting to me even as a kid, machines especially, but that's probably because my old man's a mechanic. I guess growing up to be a gear-head was inevitable." He looks down into the depths of his cup thinking of the countless hours he spent working alongside his father in their family garage. "So what was it that got you into music?" His eyes linger on Isabelle's lips for a moment before moving up to meet her eyes again.
    Izzy notices Louis’ gaze and smiles, leaning even closer. “My dad is a jazz musician who plays saxophone, so I’ve been around music my whole life. I started piano lessons at four years old and I’ve loved it ever since.”

From out of the kitchen, an apron-d Scott emerges. He looks to his right and sees Louis flirting with one of his baristas. “I told you,” he says with a wide smile at the hero.

Living Room
    Drake and Yuki enter the living room. Drake looks over at John. “Did I hear you correctly? Raphael’s fine? Or fine enough?”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-04-30 at 07:49 PM.

16. - Top - End - #226

OldWizardGuy

Living Room
    Drake and Yuki enter the living room. Drake looks over at John. “Did I hear you correctly? Raphael’s fine? Or fine enough?”
    “How fine he is, Drake, I’m not sure,” John cautioned. “All I know for sure is that he hasn’t been captured and that he has gone to ground. I hope that he will be able to either make his way back here or contact us to come and pick him up soon. The rest is unclear at this time — although Yuki is scheduled to provide everyone with an image of the attacker at our 5 PM meeting.

“Come to think of it, could you project that image to me again, Yuki? I’d like to double check something about her armor.”

Spoiler: Yeah, totally double checking — Opposed Persuasion roll for those who want to call him on his bluff
    Show
    Persuasion Roll: 1d6o6 13

John hoped for two things: First, that his casual request did not sound as forced to everyone else as it did to him and, second, that the image he was supposed to have seen included any portion of the armor. He also thought that, Calvin thought over his responses, it was probably not best to confirm with Yuki that she would be interested in a fire pit on the roof.

Spoiler: OOC Housekeeping
    Show
    OOC Housekeeping
    John revealed his weakness to Emi and earns two bennies to be added to the Team Pool when she is present.

Having reassured Stella about Raphael, he no longer feels Guilty about having triggered her Major Curse.

17. - Top - End - #227

AssassinGuy

He was glad the discussion of that other ability was left away. Truthfully he hated it. Becoming someone else for even just a few minutes, he had done that enough growing up.

Keith raises an eyebrow though at John's response. "Managed to make a date and keep it business? Glad that worked out well." He still remembered the armor, though he hadn't thought to study it too much.

He thought back to it but figured he wouldn't see as much as John would anyway. Instead he started to wonder about who all else he could make amends to while passing the time. Certainly Stella, that's where he figured his guilt might end but just a few hours couldn't alleviate it that quickly. No he needed to reflect on it all still. After all, thanks to John misunderstanding what he had intended to be a safety measure, Keith just felt that insecurity from before growing.

OK yes I said more than I really needed to, but if anyone would understand Stella's story I really think Emi would. Too bad now everyone thinks I just talked about everyone.

He needed a break. He needed his head clear before they started to take on the Dragonovs, and so far nothing was going in their favor.

Keith shook his head getting rid of the intrusive thoughts. Not like anyone would really believe he did anything with the thought of being helpful in mind.

While everyone was discussing Raph and John looked at the armor 'again', Keith took a few steps back from the group and opened a direct line to Mimi whispering his question. "Hey Mimi, is is possible for you to find out if someone is still in the city based on a name? I know they used to be here but I'm not sure if they still are, and only have their old hero name. It's a bit of a personal issue I need to resolve but no rush. The person I'm looking for went by the title; Silver Horn."
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-04-30 at 08:49 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Living Room
    Drake crosses his arms. “Oh. Well, at least we know he hasn’t been kidnapped by the Darkwatch. Anyone want a drink? I’m gonna grab some water.” He waits for any requests before heading into the kitchen.

Yuki shifts into her wolf form at John’s request and projects the picture of the red-haired woman to him.

“Hey Yuki,” Ryker says, folding his arms behind his head. “John was just askin’ if you would be interested in a fire pit on the roof, cuz he’s gonna get some furniture up there for a date. What’cha think? I told him you’d be cool with it since you like snugglin’ up to Drake so much.”

Wolf Yuki’s ears pin back and her eyes go down to her paws. “Not funny, Ryker,” she says. “You know I’ve always liked warm things. In this form especially.”

“I know,” Ryker answers with a smirk at his teammate. “I just like teasing’ you. I ain’t wrong though.

Keith
    “I will look into Silver Horn for you,” Mimi answers into Keith’s earpiece. “It may take me some time to find them with just a name however.”

19. - Top - End - #229

AssassinGuy

Living Room
    Drake crosses his arms. “Oh. Well, at least we know he hasn’t been kidnapped by the Darkwatch. Anyone want a drink? I’m gonna grab some water.” He waits for any requests before heading into the kitchen.

Yuki shifts into her wolf form at John’s request and projects the picture of the red-haired woman to him.

“Hey Yuki,” Ryker says, folding his arms behind his head. “John was just askin’ if you would be interested in a fire pit on the roof, cuz he’s gonna get some furniture up there for a date. What’cha think? I told him you’d be cool with it since you like snugglin’ up to Drake so much.”

Wolf Yuki’s ears pin back and her eyes go down to her paws. “Not funny, Ryker,” she says. “You know I’ve always liked warm things. In this form especially.”

“I know,” Ryker answers with a smirk at his teammate. “I just like teasing’ you. I ain’t wrong though.

Keith
    “I will look into Silver Horn for you,” Mimi answers into Keith’s earpiece. “It may take me some time to find them with just a name however.”
    Keith was half paying attention to the others but chuckled a bit seeing everyone sorta getting along. He hadn't realized just how much he enjoyed being here with the others, even if he had screwed up a lot. [I]Crap, that makes me the screw up here too....[_i]

He did look up when Drake asked about anyone wanting something and chuckled. "I'll grab some water in a minute, thanks though Drake!"

As Mimi spoke into his comm, Keith smiled and took a deep breath. "Thank you so much Mimi. I don't mind telling ya why, will do so probably while in the library or somethin'. Seriously though I appreciate it."

He looks back over at Ryker and Yuki and chuckles a bit. "At least the roof will be a bit more comfortable. Probably even set up a grill up there."

He turns to John. "Need help just ask. Just going to try and see if there's anything else I can find on.... at this point name it." He let's out a laugh.

Keith made his way into the kitchen after that and checks in with Aeryn, Sid, and Stella. "How's the baking lessons comin' along? Oh, Stella do you have a minute as well?"

20. - Top - End - #230

GreataxeFighterGuy

John nods, trying to pull his focus away from trying to make tomorrow a great time for Emi and back into the present moment. The memory of her eyes smoldering from beneath her lashes as she teased him with “your place or mine” made it more of a challenge than he would like to admit.

“All fair questions, Calvin, and I am afraid all I have are frustrating answers. As Keith says, Darkwatch are monster hunters — ones that focus particularly on vampires. They verge on the fanatical and came loaded for bear today. Several of us have observed Raphael’s power profile made him an obvious target for them and he had mentioned them as a threat to me once.

“As to why we aren’t pursuing them right now, we have no leads. They were professional and proficient. Stella and Jaal managed to track them as far as where their getaway vehicle was waiting. Neither Aeryn nor I saw any vehicles that were obvious candidates when we surveyed the area.

“And I’m sorry if I appear to be taking this lightly,” he replied earnestly. “I’m not. I will concede that my encounter with Emi — Siren — has left me a little distracted. Working with Stella to obtaining what information we have was…well, anyway. She’s the better off for it as it has given her some comfort.

“I suspect I am trying to focus on more pleasant things. I didn’t meant to come across as being callous.
    "Uh huh." Goldheart says, completely annoyed at the magicians ill-timed frivolities. "I'm glad Stella is ok but that still doesn't help us get closer to finding Raph or dealing with this new threat. Are you saying they went after him because he's Vampire? How do vampires walk in sunlight or is that a lie? Do you think your date helps us with any of that? Or did you just taking advantage of the situation."

Goldheart steps past John and Shakes his armored helm on the way to the kitchen. "I expected better."

Spoiler: MASKS STUFF!
    Show
    Calvin is trying to get John to admit he's knows more about this than he's owning up to and to spill it.
    Provoke a PC: 9
    Last edited by HIDA; 2022-04-30 at 11:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231

OldWizardGuy

"Uh huh." Goldheart says, completely annoyed at the magicians ill-timed frivolities. "I'm glad Stella is ok but that still doesn't help us get closer to finding Raph or dealing with this new threat. Are you saying they went after him because he's Vampire? How do vampires walk in sunlight or is that a lie? Do you think your date helps us with any of that? Or did you just taking advantage of the situation."

Goldheart steps past John and Shakes his armored helm on the way to the kitchen. "I expected better."

Spoiler: MASKS STUFF!
    Show
    Calvin is trying to get John to admit he's knows more about this than he's owning up to and to spill it.
    Provoke a PC: 9
    “Vampires being destroyed by sunlight has never been a thing,” John responds somewhat cooly. “It was a plot device invented for the film Nosferatu to let the writers compress the story they were stealing from the Stoker estate and try and make it different enough to avoid copyright law. They failed in that. In the novel, Count Dracula walks through the city streets of London without the least bit of discomfort during the daytime — although, unlike Raphael, his powers are limited when the sun is shining.

“Knowing that kind of thing is why I was sent here, Calvin — to help with demons and vampires and whatever else is roaming around this city right now. Sometimes, that means I cannot reveal everything I know because the time isn’t right or the pieces on the board haven’t moved into the right position or because I haven’t figured out things fast enough or because there are secrets I am not permitted to tell.

“Every one of us has a security clearance but none of us know what each other’s security clearance is. Some of our clearances are higher than others. They can’t tell us what we know that hasn’t been cleared for our level. Montcrieff had to not tell me any number of things for that reason and I can guarantee you that there are people in this room who know things they can’t tell you or me.

“And if it turns out there are things like that with Raphael, I will not be able to tell you. It comes with the territory. That doesn’t mean I am any less anxious for him or any less interested in tracking down Darkwatch and running them out of town.

“And no, my date with Emi — whether it was the one I had on the borders of my mind between the tick of a second or the one I will be having tomorrow — has nothing to do with Raphael’s fight. It began as an opportunity to ask her to help us with Sidney. And I trust you will forgive me if that encounter grew into something else and for a moment — just for a moment — I was just a kid from Providence sitting across the table from a lady more beautiful than he could imagine.

“But even then, that couldn’t last, could it? My past in London and my present here intruded and my otherworldly responsibilities intruded.”

John closed his eyes for a moment, getting himself back under control.

“Look, Calvin, we’ve all had a tough morning. Let’s just leave it at that before either of us say something that we don’t really mean. Yes, I know more than I am saying and no I cannot tell you what it is. This probably isn’t the last time that will happen. I am sorry about that but, as I said, it comes with the territory.

“I’m not going to say I am sorry about the date, though.”

He took another deep breath. “I’m going to grab a coffee milk and head to my room. I have a lot to do and I should change.”
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-05-01 at 09:02 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Kitchen
    Keith enters the kitchen to find Sidney going over flavor profiles with her two students while the cake in the oven cooks. Aeryn occasionally pauses to ask what something is, but mostly seems to be following along as Sidney explains how sometimes contrasting things, like salty and sweet flavors, can go together.

Drake stands off to the side, drinking his glass of water, watching the three of them interact and listening to Sidney’s lesson.

“What do you need, Keith?” Stella asks, coming over to the shadow user.

23. - Top - End - #233

AssassinGuy

Kitchen
    Keith enters the kitchen to find Sidney going over flavor profiles with her two students while the cake in the oven cooks. Aeryn occasionally pauses to ask what something is, but mostly seems to be following along as Sidney explains how sometimes contrasting things, like salty and sweet flavors, can go together.

Drake stands off to the side, drinking his glass of water, watching the three of them interact and listening to Sidney’s lesson.

“What do you need, Keith?” Stella asks, coming over to the shadow user.
    Keith smiles as he sees Aeryn is attentive to the lesson. He always was willing to learn new things. As Stella came over, he could feel the weight of the world on him.

"Actually had to tell you something, and to apologize. While we were at the Market, I thought it best for safety reasons to tell my friend that could help Sid about your curse. I didn't want to chance her trying to read your mind and that thing activating right then and there." Keith sighs. "She's also one of the most understanding people I know, and I trust her. She also asked about you being out and about so I told her Raph gave you the chance to change sides and show everyone the truth." Keith looks at the ground in shame. "I was almost forced down a similar path, and my friend knows about that history. I am sorry for telling her about it Stella. I can promise that she would do what she could to help. That doesn't change the fact that what I've done was wrong. I just wanted you to know, and to say, again, that I'm sorry."

He mentally prepared himself for the beratement that he thought would inevitably follow, or at least a loss of faith in anything he does.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Kitchen
    Stella sees the guilt in Keith, hears it his voice and smiles reassuringly. “I think it was probably for the best that you told a telepath not to read my mind. After what happened yesterday with John, I’m not eager to repeat that experience.”

“Honestly, I should have just sent Jaal with Drake and Ryker, but I couldn’t… not after Mimi said that Raphael needed help. I was emotionally compromised, and not thinking clearly, especially after seeing the scene. So I understand if you needed to give someone some additional information about me, to explain why I was there in the first place. Sometimes I forget that I’m still under AEGIS custody, since Seraph has graciously given me such a long leash.”

25. - Top - End - #235

AssassinGuy

Kitchen
    Stella sees the guilt in Keith, hears it his voice and smiles reassuringly. “I think it was probably for the best that you told a telepath not to read my mind. After what happened yesterday with John, I’m not eager to repeat that experience.”

“Honestly, I should have just sent Jaal with Drake and Ryker, but I couldn’t… not after Mimi said that Raphael needed help. I was emotionally compromised, and not thinking clearly, especially after seeing the scene. So I understand if you needed to give someone some additional information about me, to explain why I was there in the first place. Sometimes I forget that I’m still under AEGIS custody, since Seraph has graciously given me such a long leash.”
    Keith rubbing his eyes, he hadn't realized most of the emotional damage today had hit him so hard. He also looked up and smiled at Stella. "Thanks Stella. And I understand completely. I don't think anyone would have blamed you for rushing out there either."

He shook his head and kept up the soft smile. "I do promise she's trustworthy. Heck she knows my past. Kinda just like you, was about forced down another path. A villain used my mom against me for it, which is why I'll do everythin' in my power to help you save yours. And I'll make sure to put that other away behind bars when I find him."

Keith takes a deep breath and he becomes worried again. "Either way, we got this. And Raph will be back."
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-05-01 at 11:38 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236

NinjaGuy

Izzy notices Louis’ gaze and smiles, leaning even closer. “My dad is a jazz musician who plays saxophone, so I’ve been around music my whole life. I started piano lessons at four years old and I’ve loved it ever since.”
    "Seems we're the same in a way." Louis mirrors Izzy's smile as he loses himself in her eyes for a moment.

From out of the kitchen, an apron-d Scott emerges. He looks to his right and sees Louis flirting with one of his baristas. “I told you,” he says with a wide smile at the hero.
    Louis snaps back to reality when he hears a familiar voice calls out from the kitchen and leans to one side to verify it's owner. "Seeing is believing." He concedes with a shrug and a grin.

"Oh yeah, I have a special delivery for you!" He reaches in to his jacket pocket and removes Sidney's letter, gently waving the envelope in the air for emphasis. "Think I could convince you to step away from the counter for a few minutes so we can catch up and have you take a look at this?"

"Hey Isabelle, I know it's a lot to ask but..." He feigns a heavy sigh. "Do you think I could I borrow a napkin and a pen for sec?" He looks back up at the barista with a playful look in his eyes and waits for her reply.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Louis
    Izzy grins. “You lookin’ for this?” she asks as she turns Louis’ cup around, revealing a phone number written in sharpie on the back. She turns around and grabs a napkin and pulls out a marker from her apron. “I guess I could help you out though. Here you go, delivery boy,” she says as Scott comes up beside her.

The older man looks at the envelope in Louis’ hand intently. “I’ll meet you around the side.”

Louis finds Scott in the alley beside the coffee bar, waiting next to the fist sized crater in the brick. He’s studying the wall. As Louis comes up, he points at it. “You have any idea what could’ve caused this?”

Kitchen
    “Thank you, Keith,” Stella says, briefly grabbing his arm. “It means a lot, hearing that. Everyone here has been so compassionate and understanding. I never thought I’d meet people like all of you,” she says, looking over at Drake and Aeryn.

Drake smiles at her. “Everyone’s past is different. I always try not to judge until I hear the facts. You and Ryker have proved to me that you’re more than who you used to be. Things have happened to both of you that weren’t under your control.”

28. - Top - End - #238

AssassinGuy

Kitchen
    “Thank you, Keith,” Stella says, briefly grabbing his arm. “It means a lot, hearing that. Everyone here has been so compassionate and understanding. I never thought I’d meet people like all of you,” she says, looking over at Drake and Aeryn.

Drake smiles at her. “Everyone’s past is different. I always try not to judge until I hear the facts. You and Ryker have proved to me that you’re more than who you used to be. Things have happened to both of you that weren’t under your control.”
    Keith smiles and returns to his usual self for the moment. "Have the same philosophy as Drake. I'd rather hear the story before casting any kind of judgment. As someone once told me 'there are many paths to the same place'." He stretched his arms, this had been probably the second most comfortable he had felt all day. First time was giving that joke of a eulogy, just because it seemed like old times.

"Come to think of it, I'll have to tell you guys that story later. Probably when things have calmed down a bit though." He lets out a laugh after. "Well either way, just gotta make it through this rave." He looks over at Drake and smirks. "You ready to party?"

29. - Top - End - #239

NinjaGuy

Izzy grins. “You lookin’ for this?” she asks as she turns Louis’ cup around, revealing a phone number written in sharpie on the back. She turns around and grabs a napkin and pulls out a marker from her apron. “I guess I could help you out though. Here you go, delivery boy,” she says as Scott comes up beside her.

The older man looks at the envelope in Louis’ hand intently. “I’ll meet you around the side.”
    "Oh, so you're a magician too? I'm impressed." Louis says as he lifts his coffee up to his lips. He offers the older man a nod before he steps outside.

"I guess I'll have to leave you with something else now." Louis smiles. He picks up the marker and taps his temple a couple of times as he casts a quick glance around the room in search of inspiration. Izzy's arm grabs his attention when he looks back at the barista. "I've got it."

Louis uncaps the maker and sketches a rose onto the napkin. He quickly assesses his work then decides to add a stylized signature in the bottom right corner. "I assumed you might be the flower type but unfortunately I didn't come prepared today." He smiles but then tilts his head to consider something. "Actually..." He recaps the marker and sets it down on the bar, then rolls up the napkin. Louis holds out an open hand and points at Izzy's with his eyes. Should she take it he'll place the rolled up napkin into her hand and close it around the napkin so that both the top and bottom of the paper remain visible.

"Watch closely." He says glancing at her eyes once more. He uses one hand to support hers while he waves his free hand over both in one fluid motion. A vibrant red rose now rests in her hand where the paper napkin once was. He waits for a reaction and locks eyes with her once more. Louis wraps both of his hands around hers the moment she looks away from the rose and speaks up. "It's not much but at least you won't have worry about watering it." He grins. If Izzy looks back at her hand she'll find the paper napkin in the roses stead.

"Alright, I probably shouldn't keep Scott waiting any longer. Thanks for everything, this was great." Louis finishes the final bite of his tart and washes it down with the last of his coffee as he gets up from the bar but opts to toss the cup into his duffle bag. "I'll see you tonight, Izzy." He leaves barista with a warm smile and small wave as he heads outside to meet Scott.

Louis finds Scott in the alley beside the coffee bar, waiting next to the fist sized crater in the brick. He’s studying the wall. As Louis comes up, he points at it. “You have any idea what could’ve caused this?”
    Louis whistles at the sight. "Not a clue. Unless you know any superpowered kids in the neighborhood that play baseball?"

What is it with heroes and walls? He sighs inside.

"Here, this is for you." Louis hands over Sidney's letter. "I don't know what's written in it but... take all the time you need to read it. I'll try to answer any questions I can." He offers.
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2022-05-01 at 08:08 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Kitchen
    “I wish,” Drake says with a chuckle. “Too bad we’re working. The only one old enough to go out with me for beers is Ryker, and he doesn’t drink. Oh, and Seraph. But I feel like that would be weird. Unless John is? But I don’t think he’d be a big partier either. Guess I’ll just have to settle for a delicious cake.”

“Settle?” Sidney repeats, putting one hand on her hip. “The cake’s not done, you know. I could just… let it burn.”

Drake holds up his hands in surrendered. “No wonder Ryker likes you,” the South Sider says.

Louis
    Scott takes the letter and carefully opens it. He reads the contents, then reads it again. A single tear slips out of his eye before he turns away from Louis to hide it.

“So she’s safe?” he asks, bracing one hand against the brick wall. “You’ve seen her?”