New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

cool Re: Is 750 word too long for a backstory?

I would say some people care for backstory, some don't, and that's ok.

I personally like PC backstory, both as a player and a DM, but I recognize that isn't everybody's thing. I would prefer everyone at the table had the same love of it that I do, but I am not going to force it on people who don't.

Personally, I think its something similar to the old GNS divide. Those who are really into world-building and lore enjoy backstory, those who prefer drama see it as an impediment to having fun in the moment, and more gamist players see it as a pointless chore. This is, of course, a generalization.

What I do see as a problem, and this goes both ways, both players and DMs, is people who care about THEIR story and shutdown everyone else. Excessively long backstories can be a warning signof this in a PC, and refusing any backstory can be a warning sign of this in DMs.

Now, maybe I am just hardened to this after having gone through so many creative writing workshops in college, but 750 pages is not a novel. Its not a novella. Its not a short story. Its barely even flash fiction. I read and write several forum posts longer than that each day (this one is almost 300 words). That can fit on a single page, depending on the spacing, at a normal font size. It takes a few minutes to read, tops. Even if it is the worst written piece of cliched trash ever, who cares? You are really willing to spend 3-6 hours a week with this person engaging in games of imagination, but can't read 750 words of their prose? Seriously?
    Last edited by Talakeal; 2022-05-03 at 12:42 AM.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Is 750 word too long for a backstory?

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Now, maybe I am just hardened to this after having gone through so many creative writing workshops in college, but 750 pages is not a novel. Its not a novella. Its not a short story. Its barely even flash fiction. I read and write several forum posts longer than that each day (this one is almost 300 words). That can fit on a single page, depending on the spacing, at a normal font size. It takes a few minutes to read, tops. Even if it is the worst written piece of cliched trash ever, who cares? You are really willing to spend 3-6 hours a week with this person engaging in games of imagination, but can't read 750 pages of their prose? Seriously?
    This made me chuckle. I know ye meant 750 words.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    This made me chuckle. I know ye meant 750 words.
    Lol. Fixed that.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

If nothing else I'm sure we can all agree 750 pages would be overdoing it.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Hytheter View Post
    If nothing else I'm sure we can all agree 750 pages would be overdoing it.
    So 749 pages is the limit then.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

6. - Top - End - #156
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    So 749 pages is the limit then.
    I am going to be SO HIGH LEVEL!
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.