New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default Why did Xykon left Serini free? (SoD spoilers)

In Start of Darkness, first thing Xykon done after killing Lirian is soul binding her into a black gemstone, so she can get "no raising, no resurrection, no well-deserved final rest" until the end of his existence. He's done the same thing to Dorukan later, probably because of the same reasons. His attack on the halfling happened between these two events, yet he didn't care to soul bind Serini, despite of his need for her to break her secret code. Was it stupidy alone, or something more sinister is going on?
    Last edited by Precure; 2022-04-23 at 07:49 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Why did Xykon left Serini free?1 (SoD spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    In Start of Darkness, first thing Xykon done after killing Lirian is soul binding her into a black gemstone, so she can get "no raising, no resurrection, no well-deserved final rest" until the end of his existence. He's done the same thing to Dorukan later, probably because of the same reasons. His attack on the halfling happened between these two events, yet he didn't care to soul bind Serini, despite of his need for her to break her secret code. Was it stupidy alone, or something more sinister is going on?
    With Serini, he just didn't care. Not even enough to make sure she was definitely dead. He doesn't see her as a threat, so even if she somehow survived, it wouldn't make a difference, in his estimation.

With Lirian, trapping her soul in the gem was specifically because she was a Druid and had given him a whole spiel before about the importance of natural cycles and such. So stuffing her soul in the gem and zombifying her body are specifically to keep both her body and her soul from going through their proper natural cycle.

And finally with Dorukan, probably mainly just convenience. With maybe some outside consideration that, as a Wizard, he might have some crazy way to come back as a ghost or a clone or something, but if his soul is trapped, none of those work. Also, because Xykon doesn't understand how love works, he probably thinks trapping them together is somehow worse, not better.
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2022-04-23 at 06:29 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Why did Xykon left Serini free?1 (SoD spoilers)

Considering he didn't even bother to finish her off?
    Serini was probably beneath his notice.
    Xykon left her heavily injured- dying really -in the middle of nowhere.
    Next to a bunch of monsters.

He probably figured the trolls'd eat her or whatever.
    And even if not, even if she miraculously survives or gets raised, so what?
    She's not really a threat. WHat's a rogue gonna do to him?
    Stick a knife between his ribs?

Unlike Lirian and Dorukan Serini just wasn't threat (Or in Dorukan's case one of those "Better than you, looking down on sorcerors" wizard).
    Give the druid or the wizard a chance to come back for round two and they'll be prepared next time.
    A rogue still can only stab you.
    (Well, she could pick up Righteye's little trick, but Xykon already has countermeasures for that)

Basically Xykon didn't care and/or found it funnier to leave Serini like that.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Why did Xykon left Serini free? (SoD spoilers)

His attack on the halfling happened between these two events, yet he didn't care to soul bind Serini, despite of his need for her to break her secret code. Was it stupidy alone, or something more sinister is going on?
    Theory: Xykon didn't know he attacked Serini to get her diary, Xykon just decided to kill a person and randomly decided to steal her diary - years later he found out it mattered to his plotline (most people he kills and steals books from are still worth a read - all life stories are somewhat interesting).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Perhaps this reflects a major weakness of Xykon
    He is pro caster prejudiced, particularly towards arcane casting.
    With his ability to spam anti magic and his innate negative energy abilities, I guess he feels non casters have no chance against him because he can shut down their protections and then spam them with damage. Perhaps this explains him getting caught out by Roy in the first dungeon and being saved by plot (similarly saved by plot vs the ghost martyrs).
    What he forgets is that just as his build is very strong against casters and unprepared others, others can create builds designed against undead casters - even when being determined to be a pure fighter Roy has selected feats against casting and acquired a weapon vs undead. That is enhanced by the ability to work with others to negate Xykon’s build. Specifically, o’chul’s notes on his spell list exploits the main limit of sorcerers because they know what he simply cannot do and what he himself relies on objects to make up in his limitations. Information is victory.
    'Utślie'n aurė! Aiya Eldaliė ar Atanatįri, utślie'n aurė! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómė!" The night is passing!"

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Theory: Xykon didn't know he attacked Serini to get her diary, Xykon just decided to kill a person and randomly decided to steal her diary - years later he found out it mattered to his plotline (most people he kills and steals books from are still worth a read - all life stories are somewhat interesting).
    Nope. Serini told Lien and O-Chul that when the Trolls found her she had a lot of wealth on her. So if Xykon was doing a a murder-mugging he would have gone for the wealth. I guess the wealth was hidden.

Also I think we know from SoD that Xykon spent ages tracking down Serni's diary.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Negligence on Xykon's part. He thought she was beyond recovery after his attack.

Lirian and Dorukan pissed him off by lecturing him so he gave them special treatment.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

8. - Top - End - #8

Lirian and Dorukan both managed to personally piss him off. Lirian defeated him, threw him in her nature prison thing, and left him there to die. Dorukan pushed one of his major buttons (condescending wizard bull****). Both of them were much more major obstacles and earned serious attention on his part. Even if he didn't have to worry about either of them being a threat ever again, he still would have wanted them to suffer.

Serini was nothing to him. He had no special reason to care about her other than her diary, and so he defaulted to his usual of being lazy and sloppy.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Xykon would have let Roy live after their confrontation had he not forced the issue.

I agree with others, Xykon is only bothered about finishing opponents that were a serious threat.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    Perhaps this reflects a major weakness of Xykon
    He is pro caster prejudiced, particularly towards arcane casting.
    With his ability to spam anti magic and his innate negative energy abilities, I guess he feels non casters have no chance against him because he can shut down their protections and then spam them with damage.
    "I used to think spells equalled power too, back when I was alive.

You know what does equal power?

Power

Power equals power

But the type of power?

Doesn't matter as much as you might think"

Eugene thinks magic is all that matters, and V certainly did, but Xykon?

No, not even
    Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    in SOD he knew RightEye was a threat

11. - Top - End - #11
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Havran View Post
    Negligence on Xykon's part. He thought she was beyond recovery after his attack.

Lirian and Dorukan pissed him off by lecturing him so he gave them special treatment.
    I'm always both gratified and annoyed when someone states the point I was trying to make way more succinctly and efficiently than I did.
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2022-04-24 at 07:12 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Havran View Post

To expand this point even further: it's entirely possible Xykon really did think Serini was already dead. A hit like that could easily have knocked her unconscious and brought her vital signs to minimal.

His decision to not make sure she was dead is explained quite well by you and others: he didn't think she was worth the time or effort. Though the point of "why not hang on to her for interrogation" is a good one: maybe Xykon doesn't prefer torture as a purely stylistic choice (thinks it's boring and not "cool" enough).

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Or he knew (somehow) that the coordinates were encoded in a halfling's diary and went on a grand murder/burglary spree to collect 'em all.
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2022-04-25 at 03:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

A couple of people have mentioned the failure to kill Serini as negligence, laziness, sloppiness or weakness. But not killing her hasn't come back to bite him in any way yet. It would have benefitted him had Serini not failed against the Order.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    A couple of people have mentioned the failure to kill Serini as negligence, laziness, sloppiness or weakness. But not killing her hasn't come back to bite him in any way yet. It would have benefitted him had Serini not failed against the Order.
    That's an excellent point. I don't think he could have foreseen that but it very nearly worked in his favor to keep her alive.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

15. - Top - End - #15

I have wondered why the Giant had Xykon trap Dor and Lil in the gem. I understand Xykon wanted to prevent resurrection, but it seems like they are going to return in some way.
    And that is why I think Xykon didn’t trap Serini- the Giant wanted her to serve a different purpose in the story.

16. - Top - End - #16

Flumph

He lost precious time decoding the diary and searching for her gate.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Spamalot in the Playground

Xykon considers spellcasters to be a bigger threat. In general he's right, since this world is based on D&D 3.5, and anyway he's hardly the first big bad to draw a similar conclusion.

(Of course my Ring of Power is wherever Gandalf is! Who else would guard something so important? Better focus on that!)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    And that is why I think Xykon didn’t trap Serini- the Giant wanted her to serve a different purpose in the story.
    I'll +1 this.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

19. - Top - End - #19

Xykon probably predicted that Sereni would be scared of him and thus try to stop any adventuring team from stopping Xykon, since that adventuring team might end up destroying the final gate. It was a gamble on his part, and it seems that Sereni failed. Gotta give him props for having the foresight to predict what Sereni would do, though!

Or, more realistically, he just didn't see her as much of a threat. Probably that.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Redcloak: "It's not the halfling who is important... it's with whom the halfling was friends that matters!"

Serini: "Dor and Liri were so much better than me..."

Xykon's opinion of her was probably the same as Redcloak's and her own: someone who hanged out with important people but was utterly replaceable. Like Yikyik and family to the Linear Guild, or like Tarquin was afraid Elan would be when outshined by Roy and the others.

In addition, Serini wasn't guarding a gate. She only came back to Kraagor's Gate after being attacked and disfigured by Xykon. Xykon was only trying to take control of the gates, not going after members of the Order of the Scribble in particular.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That's an excellent point. I don't think he could have foreseen that but it very nearly worked in his favor to keep her alive.
    No, he probably couldn't have predicted she would do anything that would actively benefit him. But any assumption by him that she would not be a threat in the future has (so far) turned out to be right.

He lost precious time decoding the diary and searching for her gate.
    He would have had to have done those things whether he killed her or not.
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2022-04-26 at 04:55 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

SwashbucklerGuy

He would have had to have done those things whether he killed her or not.
    Hmm, if he hadn't left her for dead, he could have tortured her for details on her own Gate.
    Last edited by hungrycrow; 2022-04-26 at 05:04 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    Say No to Doylist explanations
    Last edited by hrožila; 2022-04-26 at 07:45 PM.
    ungelic is us

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by hrožila View Post
    Fair enough. My answer would be that Xykon said his one-liner so there was no reason for him to hang around. After all, he wants to save his best material for the PCs.
    But I still wonder how Dor and Liri will appear again.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    Hmm, if he hadn't left her for dead, he could have tortured her for details on her own Gate.
    Torture doesn't actually compel truth.

Even in a world where the ability to detect lying is strictly governed by numerical rules...epic-level rogue with "the Charisma for" being a paladin before aging bonuses, vs. epic-level sorcerer (Sense Motive is cross-class) with no indications of particularly high Wisdom--Serini could lie to Xykon really easily.

26. - Top - End - #26

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Torture doesn't actually compel truth.

Even in a world where the ability to detect lying is strictly governed by numerical rules...epic-level rogue with "the Charisma for" being a paladin before aging bonuses, vs. epic-level sorcerer (Sense Motive is cross-class) with no indications of particularly high Wisdom--Serini could lie to Xykon really easily.
    You're right that torture isn't practical, but the question is whether Xykon thinks torture could work.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    You're right that torture isn't practical, but the question is whether Xykon thinks torture could work.
    Or is fun. He definitely thought it was fun with O-Chul.

Of course, paladins like to lecture, and Xykon seems to take most issue with people who try to talk down to him, whether it be wizards or Good proselytizers. Serini doesn't fit those camps so he probably wouldn't derive as much fun from her.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-04-27 at 11:09 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hrožila View Post
    Are we against such explanations for some reason?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Are we against such explanations for some reason?
    Stories don't make sense for Doylist reasons. They make sense for Watsonian reasons.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Stories don't make sense for Doylist reasons. They make sense for Watsonian reasons.
    I value both, as my sig indicates. When the author explains "this is why", that knowledge enhances my enjoyment of the work.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)