New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Chult Hex Crawl - IC

Upon practically rocketing off the ship, which had started to feel like a prison for the past few days, Nolwenn's mood had been buoyed by the colorful sights and sounds of magnificent Port Nyanzaru. Barely taking the time to make sure her belongings were in order, she immediately asked for directions to the place where guides could be hired and made her way there. Now, though, after inspecting each of posted offers, her high spirits have drained almost completely. Too much, too much, too much... the wizard thinks as she anxiously fidgets with her too-light coinpurse. I thought at least I'd have a chance of covering some sort of up-front payment. I guess there's at least the ones who will waive the fee...

The posters for the most reasonably-priced of the guides are in Nolwenn's hands when the other adventurers arrive. Or falling in with another expedition, not the worst choice. "Oh, I'm sorry, just looking," she apoloogizes, handing over the postings, but there's a flash of recognition in her eye when she sees the group, "oh, you! From the boat! Are you all looking to hire a jungle guide? I didn't know all of you were together."
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

The Red Horns turned around:
    "Well, I don't know yet about these ladies and gentlemen, but I certainly am looking for a group to share the expenses of a guide.
    I'm called The Red Horns."
    This time the name rolled smoother from his lips. "Pleased to meet you Miss...?"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Draelin wasn't expecting the expedition's numbers to grow so rapidly, but he wasn't complaining. They were a strange lot, sure, but he recognised them from the boat, might've even talked to one or two of them, and they seemed...competent enough that it'd be worth having them. Clapping his hands, he steps forward to get everyone's attention. "Alright, you're all in. I won't turn down more manpower and funds. We currently have three goals out there in the jungle: firstly, the big one, the Lost City of Omu. If we're the ones to find it, that's fame and fortune for all of us. Secondly, Ziri here has a nemesis out there she's hunting down, so if we hear anything about that we're following it up. Thirdly, everything else. This is a big city, and there's a big jungle out there. We can probably find people that want something out there, and I don't know about the rest of you but I won't turn down extra paydays." He nods, looking over everyone. It was quite satisfying seeing everything come together like this after spending so long wanting and preparing. "Once we're done with introductions, first step is figuring out who of these people are worth hiring. Farid here wants to suss out the guides a bit, so we'll go around to talk with them, but if any catch your eye we can prioritise."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

"...Nolwenn," the wizard completes for the tiefling with a short bow before turning her attention to Draelin with a grin, "and fame and fortune are what drew me here as well so that's a wonderful place to start. You'll all have my finest enchantments at your disposal." Next, she offers forward the posters she had been examining, setting aside those she mentions for reference: "a few of the guides are willing to waive their fees for personal assistance--I like the look of Musharib--but there are others, and with this many of us, an extra pair taking their split of the treasure might be more reasonable."
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

"Well then, let's go visit them. I'm interested in the quest for the mask, stolen by pterafolk." Red Horn shrugged and let his wings partially unfold from beneath his leather coat. "With a bit of disguise, I might be able to get the covetted mask with little effort."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Farid introduces himself to the others...

"Maybe find some lodging first and a place to store our gear. Then we can start working our way down the list... I have no preference before I've met any of them. Speaking of guides, we first need to learn our way around this city."
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

"Ah right, a place to work and... sleep, I guess. Yes. I remember a sailor recommending the Thundering Lizard, though I'm not sure this speaks for a restful environment. Kaya's House of Repose sounded much more inviting. I think I'll take lodgings there."

The Red Horns replied, indicating vaguely towards the south.

"For our expedition, I can provide you with an Alchemy Jug to produce 8 gallons of freshwater each day. That should simplify our logistics somewhat. Alternatively, I can create an extradimensional storage container for survival equipment. So plan your purchases accordingly."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Lady Ziri Foxglove, Dame of Steel Fists
    Warforged Devotion Paladin
    AC: 17 HP: 37/37
    PP: 14
    Slots: Lvl1 3/3
    Conditions: None
    Concentrating: --

"I am the Lady Ziri Foxglove," the clockwork lady introduced herself when the others did, "Dame of Steel Fists, as some have called me."
    On the topic of guides, after looking at the posters, she pondered for a moment.
    "This druid - Qawasha - seems they could be trustworthy. The annihilation of the undead is always a worthy goal, and I would have pride in undertaking such as task. That he would then require no payment is some bonus, there."
    [/B]
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bliksem Los, the fabulous
    Level 3 Sword bard; HP 24/24; AC 15; Passive perception 13; Save DC 13

Bliksem follow the lady mumbling though not really trying to conceal his excitement Such magnificience, this is going to be such a story!

Getting serious, a little, as they pondle over who to ask as a guide... but he laughed No, wait, sorry, its just too funny, that Salida salepitch is to say we're going to die with anyone else but she's one of the few who didn't offer to waive away the fee. In the end, she also doesn't ask for a fee in advance, meaning she believe she can take us back alive. Devious and a survivor, survivor is good, but devious... not so much. Anyway, as you said, the druid... i've heard stories

He thinks a moment before sharing his thoughts, waiting a little to make it a tiny bit more dramatic.

"A druid would usually be the best choice if our interest ally with his. The lost city, if that druid doesn't want it found, he might simply lose us within the jungle. Not all druid are good i've heard though i certainly do wish i'm wrong. But, taking care of the undead with all of you, side by side, would certainly make for a good story. And even better if we can find that city, and the hag."

Bliksem fondle his pouch a moment "I've no wants for wealth beside the necessities so i'm never sure if i have enough, not sure i can help on the sharing expense, so i'd take the risk with the druid since he'd do it free if we hunt undead at the same time. Win win situation for everyone!"

"I'm curious about the emerald enclave and the chwinga, anyone knows?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, then we have at least one pair of matching opinions." Red Horns chuckled drily.
    "Let's question that druid first. If he makes a favorable impression, we can forgo the effort of asking the others. Acting decisesively is often just as good if not better than acting slowly."

Spoiler
    Show

History check on Emerald Enclave

(1d20+7)[27]

"As for the Emerald Enclave: They are a group of rangers and druids, usually focused on preventing the wild threatening civilisation and vice versa. Here in Chult they are focused on protecting everything from the undead menace that has taken root on the isle.
    They are usually trustworthy enough to keep travelers save that they accompany through the wilds.

Chwinga are little elementals - harmless for the most part. If you can manage to gain their favor they are known to bestow a blessing or boon on you."
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2022-05-24 at 03:05 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

As the group starts talking about the particulars of each of the guides, Nolwenn suddenly becomes very conscious of the fact that the group is quite the immobile crowd on the street corner. "I have no objections about any of the guides yet, but we should continue this conversation somewhere more comfortable," she pipes in, nodding towards Farid and The Red Horns in deference to their initial suggestion, "Kaya's House of Repose sounds lovely--it'll be nice to sit down somewhere we aren't packed in like pickled fish. Lead on!"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

"Excellent, let's move then." The Red Horns was now very animated, almost manic as he moved with purpose along the street, trusting the others to follow.

13. - Top - End - #43

Listening to The Red Horn explaination Thank you, that pretty much cover my doubts about the druid.
    Looking at the rest of the group, bowing slightly Shall we pay Qawasha a visit? I wouldn't wait, we're on a roll anyway.

Bliksem circle around Red Horn fidgetting with his fingers, whispering those wings, i want to touch them... mmm... later, yup, later
    Last edited by Sirithhyando; 2022-05-24 at 08:41 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

The Red Horns retreated a bit. "That... probably wouldn't be a good idea. Petting in public isn't something I'm comfortable with.
    But yes, by all means talk to the guides and we meet up at the Inn."
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2022-05-25 at 02:09 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

"That sounds like an excellent plan! Onwards to the inn!"
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

The Red Horns nodded towards Nyx and set out towards the Inn, asking where necessary for directions from the people on the street. Though he made sure to ask at least three different people to avoid getting steered into an ambush or similarly into a tourist trap.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground

The newly formed company moves through the crowded streets towards Kaya's house of repose. The humidity is unrelenting, and soon most of the mammalian adventurers are damp, heading towards soaked. The day is so bright that they don't really notice the high clouds gathering, but the sudden deluge of rain catches their attention. The streets suddenly empty, as pedestrians hop into shops, and vendors hide under awnings. Water fills the street several inches, and faded flower blooms, drowning insects, and litter swirl around your feet. Five minutes later, the downpour ends as quickly as it started, and a few moments later the sun is out and the streets are steaming. A young stegosaurus, pulling a load of timber, stomps happily up the street, splashing everybody nearby.

Kaya's House of Repose is a yellow, two-story building, with pink and green pennants waving from the roof and balconies. Vines covered in fragrant blooms climb the walls. Inside it is blessedly cool, with a pleasant breeze cleverly encouraged by the architecture.

A tall black woman with is writing in a ledger at the front desk as you arrive. Her kinky hair is sculped high over her head, and wrapped with silk ribbons and colourful shells. She looks up and smiles widely. In accented common, she says, "Welcome! I am Kaya. Enter, and be refreshed. How many rooms would you like? We have private rooms for 8sp, doubles for 6sp each, or 4-bed dorms for 4sp each. We serve breakfast only, until noon, for 5 sp."

The Inn has a central courtyard, almost entirely shaded by several trees that are taller than the building. Hammocks and comfortable chairs are scattered throughout, and a fountain adds a cooling mist to the air. Seeing the party looking once more at the guide advertisements, a long-legged girl hops off a bench and offers to fetch any guide they want, for 5 copper pennies.

Late in the afternoon, a tall man with a shiny pate but long dreadlocks enters the courtyard. He wears long green robes with voluminous sleeves, though the fabric looks sturdy, it swirls around him as if very light. He is accompanies by a strange companion. The vegepygmy is easily half his height, and looks like a stiff wind could blow him away. He moves with a strange, boneless fluidity, and his eyes are round yellow globes, with no sign of pupil or iris.

"Greetings, travelers," Qawasha's voice is deep and smooth, with little trace of an accent. "I am Qawasha, a druid of the Emerald Enclave. This is my dear friend, Kupalué. I would be honoured to guide you on your upcoming expedition. I assume you have questions for me?"
    Spoiler: Chult game links
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

"One private room for one night, please - no breakfast." The Red Horns smiled apologetically at Katya. "I have to get some work done and I require little sleep."

Once his backpack was in his room, he came down to also meet the potential guides.

He bowed slightly before the druid and asked: "I'm the Red Horns, pleased to meet you. You said you would waive your fee if we help destroying undead - does this mean we will be seeking them out specifically or is it enough if we meet them merely incidentally?"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

When the downpour suddenly arrives, Nolwenn is frantic to get out of the the rain to something of the tune of 'my books!' but, once under an awning, she laughs it off and watches the dark clouds until they pass.

Arriving at the inn, Nolwenn takes it all in, finding the décor and general environment well suited to her, and breathes a sigh of relief at the welcome breeze. In fact, she's pondering where she'll be able to find a nice empty space to dry her things while the innkeeper is explaining the rates and so is caught on autopilot as she steps forward to pay for a room. "Oh yes I'll have a..." she begins before opening her coin purse to again be disappointed by its lightness. And so, putting on her most diplomatic smile, the wizard turns to Lady Ziri and the elf she hadn't gotten the name of yet, "are either of you willing to share a room?"
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2022-05-26 at 06:11 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

He bowed slightly before the druid and asked: "I'm the Red Horns, pleased to meet you. You said you would waive your fee if we help destroying undead - does this mean we will be seeking them out specifically or is it enough if we meet them merely incidentally?"
    The vegepygmy blinked its globe-like eyes and said something to Qawasha. Its language was like listening to the wind in the branches and the rain on stones. Qawasha smiled and nodded, then said, "Weed would like to point out that our advertisement said the rate was negotiable if we killed undead together, not waived completely. We would be willing to charge 3 gp per day instead of 5. And you understand, Chult is full of undead. I can tell you the story as we travel, if you like. There are areas where this dangerous blight is...shall we say...thinner, and other areas where there are more of them. We will not shy away from those places if I guide you."

He looked to see what the reaction would be, then asked a question of his own. "Do you have any specific locations in mind? How long are you looking to travel for?"
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Firbolg in the Playground

Draelin nods thoughtfully as the druid talks. So more fighting for more gold. That was a sensible deal, although he supposed it depended on what the difference was between the safer and more dangerous areas. "How numerous are we talking about, in the areas you'd be wanting us to go into in exchange for the discount? I can see why you'd want us to do it, and I know some of us would be particularly happy to do their bit against the undead, but there is a point where the risk outweighs the reward." He pauses, a thought coming to mind. "On the note of evil things out there, one of our number" He gestures to Ziri if she decided to be present for the meeting. "Is here to find someone...something?...anyway, the point is there's a hag out there that she needs to kill. Would doing what you can to help us find it be an acceptable part of your job? Besides that, primarily we're here to try to find Omu." He chuckles, watching Qawasha to see his reaction. "Not a small goal, I know."

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    "How numerous are we talking about, in the areas you'd be wanting us to go into in exchange for the discount?...

"...anyway, the point is there's a hag out there that she needs to kill. Would doing what you can to help us find it be an acceptable part of your job? Besides that, primarily we're here to try to find Omu." He chuckles, watching Qawasha to see his reaction. "Not a small goal, I know."
    Qawasha nodded thoughtfully. "I am not interested in suicide by skeleton. I would not take us where I would expect to be overwhelmed. Other guides will try to guide you completely away from them. My preference is to fight my way through them. Ideally, we would destroy several per day."

"A hag?" He stroked his chin thoughtfully, then answered Kalupe's wheezy question in its own language. "I have heard of such creatures, but never encountered one. I would be interested in learning more about this foe, and fighting it if necessary."

Kalupe blinked twice at the mention of Omu. Qawalish laughed, a deep, resonant chuckle. "You and every other treasure-hunter! I am not convinced such a place even exists. But we can search for clues together, and who knows, we might get lucky."
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

The Red Horns shifted a bit uneasy, but replied: "We all have differing reasons for this expedition. I myself am looking for a shaman with experience in exorcisms. Not that that precludes my participation in the reduction of undead or hagicide." He tried to smile, but it came across as pretty forced.
    "Anyway, I'm also interested in collecting materials for my artificery. There are several projects I want to advance."
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2022-05-29 at 05:04 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54

Bliksem hiss at the coming of the rain, wanting to flee to be safe from it, he stayed with his companions and he started singing as rain flooded him :

I'm singing in the rain
    Just singing in the rain
    But now its time
    Let it go! Let it go!
    Can't take it anymore

As the rain stoped he looked at the others
    Have you ever heard someone say "Oh what a cute wet cat"? Nope, you know why? Because no wet cat are cute! Well, i'm still gorgeous under all the wetness His last sentence said toward the "audience".

At the low ressources mention from the wizard, Bliksem get closer I'd welcome the occasion to share a room, i also prefer to keep my coins whenever possible.
    He goes to the desk Hi, this is a strikiningly beautiful woman if i've ever seen one! I'll take a room and breakfast, and thank you for your hard work my lady.

While the druid is here, Bliksem keeps silent, observing, not by mefiance per se, but curiosity mainly. Whispering, taking mental note Oh, so that city might not even exist, even better! lowering his whisper if he's saying the truth of course
    Last edited by Sirithhyando; 2022-05-29 at 03:10 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

"Oh, no no no," Nolwenn interjects as Bliksem goes to pay for the room. There's an awkward pause as a doubt passes through her mind, but she quickly decides she hasn't misgendered the Tabaxi and goes on, quieter. "I was hoping to room with somebody less...decidedly...male."
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2022-05-29 at 01:02 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

Oh, i understand, i was more interested in your knowledge and magic though. Well, it's alright,
    i'll have plenty of occasion to learn about those. Good rest your ladyship.

Bliksem change his mind with the lady at the desk
    A private room if there're still some available

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Lady Ziri Foxglove, Dame of Steel Fists
    Warforged Devotion Paladin
    AC: 17 HP: 37/37
    PP: 14
    Slots: Lvl1 3/3
    Conditions: None
    Concentrating: --

The paladin had nodded to the druid and his vegetal companion when he entered.

"The destruction of the abhorrent unliving is always a worthy goal. No small number have fallen before these fists. All the same, are there any unusual types to be wary of?"

After the answer, she heard Nolwenn's request and took pity on the woman. The Lady Foxglove nodded towards her.

"I do not sleep anymore. All the same, it is pleasant to rest in what is close to privacy; I will share a room with you, if you so wish."
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Awful View Post

"The destruction of the abhorrent unliving is always a worthy goal. No small number have fallen before these fists. All the same, are there any unusual types to be wary of?"
    "Unusual types?" the druid repeated, "I am not certain of the question. I do not know what type of undead you find "usual". Any creature that can die, can be raised again. But it is mostly men-type creatures we find."

He added, "I know of a wise oracle, deep in the jungle, who can answer many questions. The chinga dream of her, sometimes. Perhaps we should seek her out, and see if she can help you with your myriad quests."

Anything else to ask? Are you happy with Qawasha, or would you like to interview anybody else?
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Do not sleep anymore, eh? Almost as quickly as her curiosity produces this thought, Nolwenn quashes it for the moment. The lady Ziri is quite the marvel already, but Nolwenn isn't about to let herself get carried away and squander her good fortune with rudeness, not today--not when, if this expedition gets underway, there will be plenty of time for that later. "Excellent!" she says, turning to the proprietor and reaching into her coin purse, "a room for two, please."

Nolwenn wastes no time in hefting her things once again and seeking out her room to make sure nothing is damaged and relax, only making a short detour to seek out Bliksem. "Thank you for understanding. I meant no offense," Nolwenn apologizes to the bard, bowing her head politely, "if this guide is satisfactory to everyone, I have no objections. I'll be in my room if anyone needs me."
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2022-05-30 at 09:46 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

"An Oracle? That sounds pretty much exactly like what I need. I'm satisfied then. If no one objects, I'd take you up on your offer. Can you meet us here tomorrow at first light? I assume we want as much daylight as we can get for our jungle forray."

To Ziri he said: "Ah yes, sleep. I've become somewhat less dependent on sleep as well, so we likely can share watches then."