New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Chult Hex Crawl - IC

"We have something useful here." The Red Horns announced to his companions.
    "A bag of tricks - you can pull up to three animals per day from them that are friendly and helpful to you. The other one is filled with magic beans - their effects once planted are unpredictable. The third one is a bag of holding, but something feels off about it. I'd refrain from using it for now, until I can get a better feel for it.

Anyone of you who'd be particularly interested in those items?"

---

When the time came to climb, The Red Horns mainly assisted their guide with binding and testing the knots, realizing that the druid had much more experience with the intricacies of surviving in the wild.

Still, he made sure to test the knot everytime and then fly up just below the climber, ready to catch them, should it become necessary.

Spoiler
    Show

The druid npc likely has the best combination of wisdom and survival, so it makes sense to have him take care of this task. TRH uses the help action to give him advantage

But just in case a bunch of Dex Saves:

Draelin (1d20+3)[19]
    Nix (1d20+3)[16]
    Nolwenn (1d20+3)[17]
    Xarmus (1d20+3)[19]
    Ziri (1d20+3)[20]
    Qaswaha (1d20+3)[9]

For the boat, TRH is by himself to tie the knot, but can receive the help action from his steel defender

(1d20)[12]/(1d20)[16]+2

---

For the boat, The Red Horns took his time to tie the knot particularly secure. And while the crew up on the cliff pulled it up, he held on to the other side, flying with it and keeping it from bashing against the walls.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

“I’ll take the animal bag.” Xarmus quickly replies. All to happy to take the magic item out of the fiend bloods hands, less he decide to waste more life useing creatures bones for pointless endeavours.

He will later further cast his own identity on the item followed by an investigation check
    (1d20+4)[5] (1d4)[1]

Before Xarmus undergoes any pursuit he seeks guidance from nature, from destiny. He communes with the cosmos and reads the signs. A flutter of a breeze, the shape of a leaf.
    Then he gets ready to take on the climb.

Acrobatics (1d20+3)[17] (1d4)[4]
    Survival (1d20+7)[19] (1d4)[1]
    Reflex (1d20+2)[17]

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

Letting the others split the bags between whoever wants them, Draelin handles the rest of the looting, adding the waterskins and repellent to the waterproof bags and pocketing the the mundane (but diamond-filled - at least they'll have the coin for more supplies when they eventually needed to head back) pouch and the map (he'd give it a closer look when they stopped for camp). With that done, he returns his attention back to the cliff, and as his gaze turns to the canoes, an idea strikes him. "So...how many bedrolls and the like do we have? Maybe they could be used to cushion the canoes, help mitigate any damage from it hitting the rocks on the way up." He pauses, looking over at the sacks he just packed the extra waterskins away in. "I wonder if filled waterskins could fill a similar role..."
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2022-06-29 at 06:10 AM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

"The bedrolls are a good idea, but I think, we should not endanger our water supply - especially since afixing them to the boat will be considerably more difficult."

The Red Horns mused.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Sirithhyando View Post

This place is beautiful! he looked at Nolwen Don't worry, you're still my number one! Bliksem winks at the wizard.
    Nolwenn rolls her eyes at Bliksem's comment. "I could turn you into a frog, you know," she reminds the bard teasingly, "wouldn't be the first I had to teach some manners." She can't, of course, but maybe the tabaxi doesn't know that. Regardless, she goes back to packing the supplies for transportation up the cliff.

She doesn't have much to add while the others discuss how they're all going to get the canoes up the cliff so she idly watches Xarmus as he converses with the eagle, almost stepping in to help with the grave for the dwarves but stopping when she realizes she doesn't know if there's another shovel. When it's finally time for the climb, the wizard waves away the rope. "I'll stay down here for now. I need a hand free to cast my spell in case anyone falls," she explains, "if I were up there with you all, I'd likely just end up falling myself in that case. I'll come up after."
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2022-06-30 at 11:47 AM.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bliksem Los, the fabulous
    Level 3 Sword bard; HP 24/24; AC 15; Passive perception 13; Save DC 13

Having successffully teased Nolwen :
    A frog! No worries then! I'll be your prince since you want it that much! Bliksem smile and winks at the wizard again. On a more serious note though, lets get on getting everyone safely up there.

Bliksem waits for Red Horn up the cliff while the others take care of preparing the rest of the plan or loot the remains of the dwarves.
    He looks around for anything suspicious that might need a change of plan.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Looking aroung for any old camp; sign of messing around (i mean if there was a rope tied up to help climb and it was cut/gnawed on/etc); anything out of the ordinary (an owlbear saying he's not the droid we're looking for would still be funny though)
    Perception : (1d20+3)[15]
    Investigation : (1d20+1)[11]

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Sirithhyando View Post

A frog! No worries then! I'll be your prince since you want it that much! Bliksem smile and winks at the wizard again.
    "You'll be a frog for a long time, then, if that's what you're waiting on," Nolwenn grumbles as she gets back to unpacking the waterproof bags.
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2022-07-05 at 11:20 AM.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

"Let's get this done then - no time like the present." The Red Horns was already wrapping the blankets around the first boat and tying the harness.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Barbarian in the Playground

Bliksem looks around the top of the cliff. He can see a snapped-off tree with a bit of frayed rope tied to it. This was likely where the dwarves had tried to raise their canoe. It's hard to say for sure, but it looks like they just picked a bad spot to do it.

The party entreats upon the druid to help with tying the harnesses. With a skeptical expression, he does so.

Draelin starts the climb. Despite the elf's nimbleness, he puts his hand wrong and a root pulls loose. He starts to fall, and knot holding him fails! The Red Horns swoops in and catches the elf by the armpits. Straining with the weight, he manages to fly the fallen elf up to the top, where he delivers him to Bliksem.

Nix scrambles up the cliff, followed by the nimble satyr. Lady Ziri follows, using brawn over nimbleness, but makes it up without problem. Qawasha comes second last, lashing Kupalue to him, and fortunately they make it up with no problems, for at the top they discover the knot had come completely loose during the climb!

Finally Nolwenn works her way up. She also slips, and her knot fails - clearly Qawasha wasn't the man for this job. Before she could cast her life-saving spell, she is safe in Red's arms, and being flown to the top.

The first boat goes up with no problem. The Red Horn's knot is good, and the bedrolls and padding around the canoe prevent it from getting banged up. They untie it at the top, then the tiefling flies the rope down for the second canoe.

The second canoe...doesn't go so well. The canoe is nearly three-quarters of the way up the cliff when the knot begins to fail. The tiefling can see it sliding loose. At that moment, the harpy eagle flies low over Xarmus, calling out a warning. "Not alives nearby, coming to you."

One round of action before the canoe falls and enemies are in sight.
    Spoiler: Chult game links
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

The Red Horns didn't think, but reacted - flying directly to the knot and covering it with his fist from slipping loose he called: "Lower the boat, quickly but evenly, I'll keep the knot steady!"
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2022-07-05 at 12:34 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bliksem Los, the fabulous
    Level 3 Sword bard; HP 24/24; AC 15; Passive perception 13; Save DC 13

Bliksem continue to stand guard up the cliff, enjoying a light wind, helping with the first canoe as it got to the top.
    Many things could've gone wrong but Red Horn wings got them safely.
    Nice save Red Horn! Bliksem smile completly oblivious to what was occuring at the top of the cliff.

It's only when the bird make everyone focus on the threat that he takes action. He screams
    I'll buy you time!

Bliksem get his rapier at the ready, trying to reflect sunlight for an added touch of flair.
    En guarde!
    And he takes his stance.

Show

Ready action
    Bliksem intentions :
    1- Move toward the group with his feline agility (double speed if wasn't moveing the turn before)
    2- Attack action (gives +10ft movement)
    3- If the attack succeed, defensive flourish (roll bardic dice, counts as a + on dmg and a + on AC until start of next turn
    4- Move back toward the group (using all his movement). Though if they are too close already, Bliksem would move as to make them follow him away from the group.

Attack : (1d20+6)[20]
    Bardic inspiration (+DMG and +AC if attack touch) : (1d6)[6]
    DMG : (1d8+6)[9]

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Xarmus
    The Satyr had once been considered brave, but that was long ago and due more to convenience and luck than any action. Since he had sung many songs of brave souls, of brave deeds and brave actions. Well, of the successful ones anyway. Rare was the song of the knight who walked into the dragons den only to get eaten. Names of the stupid were oft forgotten.
    As Xarmus picked up the long tail of rope and ran around the nearest tree, he wondered if his name would be remembered... and then he jumped off the edge of the cliff.

He had left his good friend to die over this canoe, he’d be damned if he was letting it fall.
    “Slow me!” His fleeting voice called out, somewhere between an order and a plea as he disappeared over the edge.

It was not a complicated plan, maybe a little short if anything.
    The canoe was most the way up and by his reckoning it would take just as long to get it up as let it down safely, main concern was the rope holding. So he was going to add another length of rope to spread the load and then fix up the knots.
    At the least it would hold the canoe from having to go all the way down.
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2022-07-06 at 02:22 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Aside from the embarrassing loss of her grip on the way up the cliff and subsequent rescuing (not that it was strictly necessary, she had reminded herself while silently cursing the bad knot) Nolwenn has been very happy with the cliff ascent. And with the last canoe on its way up, it looks like everything is going to be wrapped up in a satisfactory manner, though the wizard again reminds herself that hauling on a rope to bring a canoe up a cliff wasn't exactly what she had in mind when she set out on this adventure. Then, of course, is when a lot of things happen at once. Shouts from below, over-friendly birds, satyrs taking off at surprising speed, strong hands abandoning the rope...and it had been looking like it was going to end so uneventfully.

Nolwenn, for her part, grunts with the strain of the extra weight she has to take on the rope. She reaches for her mirror pendant with one hand and barely has time to cast her spell as Xarmus disappears over the edge. She gets her hand back on the rope as soon as she can, but she can feel that its closer to slipping through her fingers than it was before. "Can anyone tell us what's going on?" she shouts in exasperation.
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2022-07-07 at 05:14 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164

Draelin was a little annoyed at how the climb had gone, but thankful it had worked out alright. That tinge of annoyance got a little worse when the knot entirely comes loose after their guide came up, and then Nolwenn has her own problems. He made a mental note to not just let their guide handle these things going forward - it appeared the Red Horns' judgement on who was best to do the job was a little inaccurate. He knew he could handle it himself, best to just do it himself if they need to tie more knots in the future. The canoe problems appear to get him to the point where there's no point being annoyed - it's happened, he's not in a position to do much about it, so that was that. Naturally, between the spectacle at the cliffs and the person aware of the nearby undead having leapt off the cliff, he doesn't prepare for the incoming undead.

Nolwenn's question gets a small shrug from Draelin. "My guess is the knot's no good. Like the others. Hasn't gone yet, but will do soon. Red wanted it down to redo it, but Xarmus is doing...something to help up here, I suppose? Saves putting it down again."
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2022-07-07 at 05:31 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Nyx prepares to shoot at any approaching "not-alives" with her INFINITE COSMIC POWER! She's just glad she made it up so easily.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready an action to Eldritch blast an undead. To hit: (1d20+6)[11], (1d10+4)[5] Damage.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

16. - Top - End - #166

The satyr floated gently down, landing on the vertical canoe. The Red Horns was struggling to hold the knot tight, to keep it from slipping further. Xarmus quickly looped the long end of the rope through the canoe and tried to tie it off. The knot didn't look very good, but Ziri called down from the top of the cliff, "Fly the loose end up to me!"

The Red Horns reluctantly let go of the original knot, grabbed the loose end, and flew it back up to the warforged. The canoe lurched alarmingly downwards, but Ziri was able to prevent it from crashing to the ground.

Meanwhile, at the top, the others reacted to Xarmus's hastily shouted warning. A moment later, figures pushed through the bushes and vines near the top of the cliff. 5 humanoid figures, in various states of decay, bearing weapons, looked up upon seeing the party, and moved forward to attack. Nyx blasted at one of the zombies, and a chunk of rotten flesh blew out of its chest. Bliksem readied himself for melee combat.

Draelin can retroactively ready something, as Xarmus assumed he'd passed on the warning. Nolwenn cast featherfall, so that's her action. I've rolled initiative in the ooc. Draelin and Xarmus can go before the enemies' turn.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Now that the boat no longer was in danger of falling and shattering on the ground, The Red Horns was finally able to get an understanding of the situation. Albeit not before the undead started their attack...

18. - Top - End - #168

Having picked up his bow upon hearing Xarmus' warning, Draelin fires a quick shot at the lead zombie as it appears, before taking his time with a second shot. First undead of the journey, huh? Time to earn their discount, he supposed.

Spoiler
    Show

Ah, okay. In that case, his readied attack (presumably at the same one Nyx's blast hit?). I'm assuming that the foilage in front of us on the map is the top of a tree, so only the bit in the middle representing the trunk blocks line of sight, but if not he'll spend his prep turn's movement to get into a position with better coverage.

Attack: (1d20+6)[22]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[10]

For Draelin's actual turn, he'll use a bonus action Steady Aim into an attack on one of the zombies (lead if it survived the first shot) with advantage and thus SA (I am right in thinking that undead aren't inherently SA-immune in this edition, right?).

Attack: (1d20+6)[21]/(1d20+6)[20]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[8] + (2d6)[4] SA
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2022-07-10 at 07:54 AM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

(1d20+3)[23]
    Climbing back up.

Oh, company. I think I have gifts for them somewhere in here.” He says calmly digging out some smooth stones and chanting over them.

Xarmus will prepare his magic stones and asses the situation.

20. - Top - End - #170

Draelin's two arrows added to the damage from Nyx's arcane attack, and the lead zombie stumbled, then fell. Unmoved by the loss of their comrade, the others continued forward.

Lurching through the underbrush and hanging vines came a sixth figure. Not unlike a gorilla, but taller and with four arms, this would have been a fierce creature in life. In death, with flesh hanging in strips, it was a horror.

"Girallon!" Qawasha cried, staring at the creature in fascination. The beast beat its chest and ran forward towards the druid, shockingly fast on its feet. Qawasha barely got his staff up in defense before the beast was on him. All four clawed hands slashed at the tall Chultan, and its dirt-encrusted fangs bit at him. The druid's skin was tough, almost like bark, but the girallon zombie still scored two hits on the druid. He staggered, bleeding freely. Behind him, cowering in the underbrush, Weed made a strange, terrified whistling cry.

The skeletons lurched forward, rusty swords in bony hands, closing in with Qawasha and Ziri, but not yet engaging with them.

The last two undead, both zombies, moved to attack Draelin and Nyx. Weaponless, the zombies swung their fists like meaty clubs. The elf took a solid hit on the jaw, but Nyx evaded the clumsy blow.

Ziri rushed forward to the druid's aid, swinging her own iron fist at the zombie. Its four-armed defense confused her, however, and her fist landed in blood-encrusted fur without actually damaging the creature.

Qawasha spoke a few words in a musical language, and his staff sparkled with magical power.

Everybody up.

Spoiler: combat stuff
    Show

All the rolls are in the ooc thread, if you were hit, check for your damage there please.

Xarmus is climbing, which is half-speed, so with a double move is able to get to the top (well, 35 of 38 feet, but we'll call it even).

See slide deck for terrible map and pic of the girallon zombie.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Xarmus looked back over the cliff and wondered how well these dead monsters could climb, if things came to that he would take his chances. But for now he finished readying his stones and hurled one of the now magic stones at the nearest enemy.

(1d20+7)[18] attack
    (1d6+5)[11] damage

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

The Red Horns decided to engage the northern most undead pressing in on their guide. Letting fly the Yklwa at the creature.
    At the same time he uttered a word in that terrible speech that the writings on his skin had forcefully taught him. At once the twig creature arose and moved next to their guide, attacking the zombiefied girallon.

Spoiler
    Show

Get within 10ft of skeleton
    Ranged attack with Yklwa against northen most skeleton

(1d20+8)[15], damage (1d8+6)[7], if crit (1d8)[4]

Afterwards gain height again

Bonus action:
    Command Steel Defender to protect Quawasha, with Deflect Attack (disadvantage for Girallon)
    attacking the same skeleton as TRH
    Force-Empowered Rend. (1d20+7)[11], damage (1d8+2)[4], if crit (1d8)[4]

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

After Qawasha's warning, Nolwenn can only gawk for a moment as the girallon zombie charges at the druid. Once its meaty hands start slamming into him, though, everything finally clicks and she catches up with reality. Whatever's going on with the canoe right now's not important. We don't put this thing down, we die.

"Hold on!"
    She drops the rope and casts a second spell, adding an extra incantation to increase its potency, and launches a barrage of magic missiles at the girallon.

Show
    Not much to say here. Casting Magic Missile with a second level spell slot--wouldn't do well for our guide to die here.

Damage: (4d4+4)[15]
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2022-07-14 at 11:30 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Nyx summons her trusty blade to hand, ready to defend herself against these zombies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Action to summon longsword via pact of the blade.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

25. - Top - End - #175

The Girallon was a problem, but the others were focusing on it and they had problems here with the normal undead, given the blow one just gave him. Darting back from the one attacking him, Draelin moves out of the way so he can get a good shot at the other one - with it focusing on Nyx, he might be able to get a good shot off.

Spoiler
    Show

Using Cunning Action to disengage as a bonus action, moving behind and around Nyx so I have a clear shot at the zombie who attacked her and then attacking it (getting SA from it being within 5ft of her).

Attack: (1d20+6)[7]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[6] + (2d6)[8] SA

26. - Top - End - #176

Nyx summons her blade, ready now for melee. Draelin retreats a few steps, using Nyx as cover, but his bow snags in the undergrowth and his arrow goes wide of the zombie. Nolwenn's magical attack strikes the girallon zombie unerringly, blasting off bits of putrid flesh.

Red throws his Chultan spear at a skeleton, where it breaks off some ribs, before coming to a rest sticking out of its back like a strange third arm. His twiggy companion tried to attack the same skeleton, but fails to connect.

Finally climbing over the edge of the cliff, the satyr looses a magic stone at the girallon, and it disappears into his body with a wet plop.

With the courage (or recklesness) the tabaxi are famous for, Bliksem throws himself forward at the zombies. His sharp blade pierces one, but the bard is unprepared for the savagery of the retaliation. Both zombies turn their attention on the handsome catfolk, and began fiercely slamming him with their bodies, wielding their own arms like clubs. Bliksem finds himself forced backwards one step, then another.

One of the skeletons attacks Ziri, who turns her body against it, trying to shield the rope. She trusts to her metal body to protect her, but the skeleton's sword slashes through delicate joint connectors. Rather than attack her attacker, however, she steps forward towards the girallon zombie, knowing that if their guide dies here, they're in trouble. She punches at the undead ape-creature, and is rewarded as blood and tissue fly. However, the girllon howls in fury, and turns its attention to her. Four arms swing like hammers, and sharp teeth tear at a porcelain face. Ziri falls, landing heavily on the rope, saving the canoe even as the spark of life within her fades.

Okay, everybody up.
    Last edited by agignac; 2022-07-21 at 10:44 AM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

A twich of his finger let the Yklwa find its way back into The Red Horn's hand, ready to be sent out anew. Which was exactly what he did. The twig creature continued with its - so far - ineffective attacks while keeping the undead Girallon from hurting anything but the construct through it's presence.

Spoiler
    Show

Same routine as before.

Get within 10ft of skeleton
    Ranged attack with Yklwa against northen most skeleton

(1d20+8)[19], damage (1d8+5)[6], if crit (1d8)[7],

Afterwards gain height again

Bonus action:
    Command Steel Defender to protect Quawasha, with Deflect Attack (disadvantage for Girallon)
    attacking the same skeleton as TRH
    Force-Empowered Rend. (1d20+7)[20], damage (1d8+2)[9], if crit (1d8)[1]

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Well this was going bad, very bad. Xarmus continued to throw magic stones at the nearest enemy to him. Couldn’t well help anyone if he ended up dead.

(1d20+7)[24] attack
    (1d6+5)[7] damage

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

To say that things are going badly feels like something of an understatement. Beginning to understand the plight of the dwarves at the bottom of the cliff a little more intimately, Nolwenn suppresses a shriek of shock as Lady Ziri is struck down. She had been so quiet but so strong. Surely she couldn't be...

Nolwenn conjures the most potent magic she can muster and again hurls it at the girallon.

Show
    2nd level magic missile again! (The upside to this spell list is that I don't need to worry about accidentally overspending my higher level slots at the moment.)

Damage: (4d4+4)[13]

30. - Top - End - #180

Draelin swears under his breath, but steadies himself as he lines up a shot at the girallon - it needed to go down fast.

Spoiler
    Show

Steady Aim as a bonus action, then shoot the Girallon with advantage/SA.

Attack: (1d20+6)[16] / (1d20+6)[15]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[11] weapon + (2d6)[5] SA