New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Chult Hex Crawl - OOC

Would I be able to use the Survival and/or Insight skills to evaluate potential guides and their abilities?
    Hmmm, interesting question. If you actually interview them, then sure, I'll allow it. Survival will let you know a few key questions to ask, and Insight will help you know if they're being honest about their motivations and experience.

Anybody have any opinions on the new recruits? I'm hoping to pick a couple later today.
    Spoiler: Chult game links
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32

I've invited 4 from the other thread to join. That puts us at eight, but I suspect natural attrition will whittle us down to 5 or 6.

Hopefully they'll post IC this weekend. If you have questions for the guides, please do that this weekend so we can get a move on out of the Port.
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Hi all! Happy to be joining! Here's all the info for Nolwenn de Menez.

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Nolwenn doesn't cut an especially imposing figure, short and slight as she is. However, she's quite memorable to anyone who interacts with her--she's very physically expressive and wears her emotions on her sleeves so she's equally likely to be seen barely dragging herself around (especially in the morning) and practically skipping when she's in a good mood. It's obvious that Nolwenn enjoys talking whenever she has the opportunity to do so, though she has a bad habit of getting stuck when the perfect word is on the tip of her tongue, especially in her non-native languages, and she talks to herself when she thinks no one else is around. For clothing, she wears robes or dresses with a cloak added for inclement weather, favoring cool colors when she can (she says they go better with her eyes) though eschewing mundane jewelry whenever able.

As a general rule, Nolwenn is fairly good-natured and tries to get along with people. While she enjoys jumping in to help people when she thinks she can and does so with good intentions, the same tendency makes her rather nosy which can rub some people the wrong way.

The young scholar is rather bright, especially when working on more creative endeavors, and she is a veritable wellspring of esoteric facts and knowledge, potentially to the chagrin of those listening to her. She also doesn’t lack self-confidence, leading to her favoring broad plans and ideas that can be modified on the go when faced with a problem. When her attention isn’t focused on something, Nolwenn tends to bore easily, so she has a history of leaving a trail of half-finished projects, abandoned when her interest waned. Additionally, while she's aware of the privilege of her own upbringing, it takes conscious effort on her part to keep it in mind so she's certainly caused offense by taking things for granted in the past (she's also bad with money). Finally, she tends to underestimate her own stubbornness and can become frustrated quickly with other stubborn people.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    The sole child born to an aging pair of nobles in Baldur's Gate, Nolwenn grew up in privilege and abundance. She was an energetic and curious child, which her parents nurtured by providing her with the best tutors money could buy. By the time her father had passed away in her early teens, Nolwenn had already gone through half a dozen, learning what she could from them until she decided she'd had enough of the topic either from boredom or her own satisfaction (except in the one case of animal husbandry--being kicked while attempting to shoe a horse put her out of that one quickly). The only exception was education in how to manage the household's finances and duties which her mother, especially after her husband's death, demanded of Nolwenn in order to safeguard her future (even though she hated it). It was the (admittedly small all told) price she had to pay for her other eclectic studies.

This bouncing around would change, though, when Nolwenn found her interest in the studies of arcane magic. It was some something she had been hastily redirected from before, both for the lack of good tutors and her age at the time, but, at her sixteenth birthday, she was presented with Sergei Magos, a middle aged retired adventurer, as a tutor. And, indeed, this time things were different. Nolwenn was not only a natural at the logic of wizardly magic (though not to downplay its difficulty--it was still years before she managed her first cantrip) but Sergei's stories of adventure and discovery, both of his own personal variety and the uncovering of long-lost secrets taken to the grave by ancient wizards, ignited her imagination and drive in a way no other study had done before. Thus passed a number of difficult but rewarding years.

However, eventually the day came where Sergei had no more lessons to teach Nolwenn. Additionally, throughout her arcane training, Nolwenn's mother had dutifully deflected a line of suitors looking to try the hand of the lone daughter of a wealthy widow, but with her daughter's studies done and her now a woman in her own right, there was nothing more she could reasonably do to hold back the tide. This came as a tremendous irritant to Nolwenn, who was certainly not interested in any such thing--or at least as she told herself, not yet. She saw a way out, though. Sergei's stories of adventure had left a considerable impression on Nolwenn, and the life of an adventurer was far from where even the most persistent suitors could reach her. Deciding to kill two birds with one stone, she departed for far-off lands, leaving suddenly to give no one (herself included) a chance to change her mind.

That was three years ago. Her journeys were longer, more circuitous, and more laden with pitfalls than Nolwenn had imagined it would be, and she has not yet been able to gather the resources to settle down to study her craft in earnest. Not willing to go crawling back home just yet, she has recently been lured by he tales of ancient ruins and unimaginable treasures (and Nolwenn has never lacked in imagination) waiting in the jungles of Chult, and so it is to Port Nyanzaru that she has come to seek her fortune.

I think it'll be best if you all run into her while she's perusing the guide posters (she sadly doesn't even have close to the money to afford one) so I'll get a post up when you let me know you're firmly in the 'guide perusal' stage (which could be right now if need be).
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2022-05-20 at 01:37 PM.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh cool, all of them. That works.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hellbug View Post
    I think it'll be best if you all run into her while she's perusing the guide posters (she sadly doesn't even have close to the money to afford one) so I'll get a post up when you let me know you're firmly in the 'guide perusal' stage (which could be right now if need be).
    Yeah, we've all agreed that's the next step and the DM's asking for our questions for them, so it sounds like a good time to have us come across you now.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Glad to join you everyone!

Bliksem, at your service! Or as he'll say later in IC, "The pleasure is all yours"

Spoiler: Bilksem fabulous blue eyes
    Show

Spoiler: Character sheet (unfinished)
    Show

Still missing some description on the sheet, might be able to finish it tonight, probably a first IC post tonight also.

Thanks for having me and this little fellow

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

The Red Horns

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Spoiler: Story
    Show

The Red Horns:
    Red, scarred skin, red, dead eyes and black, matted hair. Dark grey, practical clothes that smell slightly musty with just a hint of mildew. Beside the large horns, the most remarkable thing are the large, leathery wings, that unlike the rest of his body isn't covered with slightly raised scars. Some of them seem to spell words in abyssal script.

Red Horns may appear to be brooding most of the time, staring without seeing, but once engaged in conversation he quickly becomes animated, even heated in discussion. In fact, as long as he has company he shows a relentless curiosity in almost all topics, but most of all history and arcane knowledge. Likewise, he always tries to help out those in need around him. He is followed by a silent figure that resembles a scarecrow made of sticks, black cloth and silvery twine. A miniature of that creature hangs from a chain around his neck with a large red jewel at its center.

Red Horns has forgotten much of his past. What he pieced togehter of his live before he found that horrible book indicates, that he used to be some kind of gladiator, entertaining the masses. Now there is nothing left of that. All he knows for certain is, that he awoke with a knife in his hands and many bleeding cuts all over his body, the smoldering remains of an old leatherbound tome beside him. And horrible knowledge just at the edge of remembering. Every now and then he dares to read a bit of the script upon his skin, regaining some kind of useful knowledge, but creeping just a little bit closer to insanity as well.
    His two servants are a product of this forbidden knowledge as are his other abilities. So far he hasn't dared to learn more, but this might change soon. Looking into a mirror isn't something he undertakes lightly anymore, because there seems to be a shadowy figure lurking there in the distance and everytime he looks, it has come just a little bit closer.

Recently he has learned that a shaman in Chult might be able to help him with this unsettling development - without condemning him to a pyre for revealing these facts.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Alright then - my vote goes to the first guide Azaka Stormfang - because I very much want to take a look at the Pterafolk

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Xarmus

Spoiler: Img
    Show

Spoiler: Poetra
    Show

Spoiler: background
    Show

The future past.
    Xarmus was born on an auspicious night of an auspicious occasion. ‘The stars were aligned’ some might say, others call it a ‘sign’ or consider him a ‘blessing’. He was the one mentioned in songs and stories of old, a creature of foretold greatness. Coincidence or destiny, it didn’t really matter because great things were expected of him.

And at a young age he did some fairly great things, he learnt the secrets of music almost as soon as he could talk, he joined the druids and aided in protecting their lands, he rescued a child from a rampaging owl bear. All great things but not THE great thing.

Revelling in his soft fame, he grew indulgent and lazy. Time passed, years passed and soon his old accomplishments carried less weight. He was getting old and that moment of greatness had not yet come to him. People started doubting Xarmus and worst, started forgetting him.

He knew he was destined for greatness, he would show them. Songs would be written about him, he just had to find this destiny of his.
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2022-05-21 at 10:41 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

So the terrain is jungle that we will be adventuring through?
    How long does everyone plan on staying in town?

I was thinking to make my entrance/interaction in the wilderness as to not flood the game with introductions.
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2022-05-21 at 10:49 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Not long IP - but with so many players it might take awhile before we get going.
    It might seem contrived for so many people to rally around that group at that moment, but I think we can all ignore that for the sake of expediency

11. - Top - End - #41

I love to see all the interaction, both here and IC. There's a map of the port in the slide deck.

Two inns are recommended to you by the locals. Both are located by the Red Bazaar (18 on the map). The Thundering Lizard if you want a raucous time, or Kaya's House of Repose if you're after a good night's sleep. Both have all the guide posters displayed.

I don't see anything that needs my response just yet, let me know if I've missed anything.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

My apologies if it feels like I'm pushing things sideways here, but I'm thinking first steps. It might be about the point where we can break it up between people who want to actually be present for interviewing guides and those who maybe want to take care of other ways to get info on them. I'm thinking Nolwenn might try to see if there are any other adventurers about and ask about their experiences with the guides...or just go clean up at the bath house after the long journey.
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2022-05-24 at 12:17 PM.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Since high insight would be best for this job, I assume that the wisdom based classes will take care of that chore.
    The Red Horns spends his spare time with crafting (trying to turn his weapon into a true +1 weapon)

14. - Top - End - #44

I don't particularly have questions in mind that others haven't brought up, but given his skillset and his rough position in the group Draelin should go along with those of us talking to the guides.

15. - Top - End - #45

If somebody wants to write up a post about chatting with the guides, go ahead. If not, just a list of questions in the IC thread and a bunch of dice rolls will do the trick. Since there are so many of you, and a few guides that are of interest, I recommend one guide's worth of questions per PC, but totally up to you.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46

Pyrophilios already took care of Bliksem questions, so he's going to be observing (still going to write IC and roll some insight for your use if needed )

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Apologies, all.

I wanted to try getting back into PbP, but it's not working for me (not because of this DM/campaign).
    I would just hold all of you back, so I'll bow out now.

Thanks for the chance.
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Swami Monsoon View Post
    Apologies, all.

I wanted to try getting back into PbP, but it's not working for me (not because of this DM/campaign).
    I would just hold all of you back, so I'll bow out now.

Thanks for the chance.
    Thanks for letting us know, I appreciate it. Games certainly don't always work for everybody. Happy future gaming.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

I'm losing a bit track of who is still playing in this game - please correct the table below if necessary:

Player Character Race Class
    Awful Lady Ziri Foxglove Warforged Paladin
    tonberrian Nyx Half-Elf(Drow) Hexblade
    Volthawk Draelin Wood Elf Inquisitve Rogue
    Hellbug Nolwenn V Human Illusion Wizard
    Sirithhyando Bliksem Tabaxi Sword Bard
    Pyrophilios Red Horns Reborn Winged Tiefling Battlesmith
    Holy-hunter Xarmus Satyr Druid/Bard

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophilios View Post
    I'm losing a bit track of who is still playing in this game - please correct the table below if necessary:
    That looks correct. I think you'll be meeting the satyr once you head into the jungle. That info, along with links to character sheets and pictures for those that have provided them, are also the first few pages of the slide deck.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

I’m still here!
    I’ll be away camping for the next five days so I’ll join in when I get back, where ever everyone is up to :p

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Thanks for the post agignac, I was just about to ask if we could get a scene-laying of the inn.

Also, I don't know about you, Pyrophilios, but a tourist trap sounds like exactly the villain I was ready for here.
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2022-05-26 at 06:14 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Pretty much, yes

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

I'm good with Qawasha, and Nolwenn's not the best judge of jungle guides.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

I don't have a strong opinion either. For expediency I'd say we go with it

26. - Top - End - #56

I'm good with the druid too

27. - Top - End - #57

Yeah, he works for me.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't have any further questions, let's go.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Are we using the Encumbrance rules?

I highly recommend buying the canoe, if only so that I can offload some of this adventuring pack - am urchin with weak arms, cannot carry all this.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2022-05-30 at 10:11 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Are we using the Encumbrance rules?
    No, we'll just stick to regular carrying capacity.
    Show