A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 298
  1. - Top - End - #1

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    NIGHTMARE IN KATAPESH

    The desert metropolis of Katapesh is one of the most splendid cities in all of Golarion. Within its sandstone walls, anything one wishes can be bought, sold, or traded... for the right price. Katapesh is a manifestation of an organized chaos, where coin is the king and commerce is the greatest god, with Abadar a distant second.

    The city itself is broken into four main districts: the Inner City, the oldest piece of the city, and home to the walled palace of the pactmasters, the Grand Coliseum, the Marble Sphinx, the Golden Oasis, the Glass Pyramids, and the Screaming Obelisk, among other wonders; the Lower City, the largest of the districts, the most densely populated, the only one along the coast - housing the docks, as well as a ubiquitous and constant sprawling bazaar; the Dawn Gate, northern portion of the city and home to most of the upper-middle class and the Immaculate Repository, the temple to Abadar; and, lastly, the Twilight Gate, once ruins south of the Inner City, now a blend of old and new architectures in a mostly residential layout. Outside the sandstone walls, a handful of other districts have cropped up to glom onto the prosperity within the walls: the Daystalls to the west provide what seems a cheap imitation of the grandeur of the Lower City bazaar; the Sprawl to the south, housing cheaper residential areas endemic to any capitalist society run amok; and the infamous Dog Town to the north, home to the cheapest housing, shadiest businesses, and more hyena-headed gnolls than within all other major cities in the Inner Sea combined.

    This Starday morning started like most other Stardays in Katapesh - with the promise of the Grand Bazaar. Already by dawn, trade has begun. Entertainers of all sorts claim trafficked street corners to make a few coins and, hopefully, to secure some more lucrative opportunities. The streets are flooded with enticing aromas from those catering to the hungry foot traffic, the city has even cracked down on any stands that produce more noxious odors as interfering with trade. And, of course, merchant stands with varying degrees of permanence are erected in every viable area with their hawkers peddling their specific wares, some come from afar, but most are local staples. While every day in Katapesh looks like a more sedate version, the Grand Bazaar is where every man, woman, and child with something to sell claims their patch of land. Most of these have purchased rights with the city, but even if the full Zephyr Guard worked all day at it, they couldn’t possibly verify every license, to say nothing about forgeries.

    Sadar looks for work as a guard with the rising of the sun and meets Galtho Thiranyi, a merchant moving a cart through the city who quickly hires him on to stand guard over his kiosk for the day, as well as help him set up, and close down. Galtho is a curt Vudrani man in his early sixties, who sells paper, ink, quills, chalk, blank books, and other writing related tools. He makes it clear in his gruff matter-of-fact way that Sadar’s mere presence is the deterrent. With so many stands in the city, only those selling highly valuable objects like jewelry, or those unguarded, are in danger of thieves - after all it would be a strange individual to risk their hand for some scraps of paper. His offer of eight silver is a fair rate, and a touch above what Sadar would have expected. The man sets up shop in the Lower City’s Hearthstone Plaza, in front of the door to an alchemist’s shop, “Pulchritudinous Paggron’s Positively Potent Potions,” and between a luxury cartwright, “Craft Carriages,” and a sprawling stand, “Fine Artifacts of Ancient Osirion and More.” Galtho converts his cart into the kiosk, “The Write Stuff,” where he can sell his wares. Throughout the morning, his business seems to do well as there are customers seeking his supplies specifically. The guard work is rather dull, as not a single thief is encountered, but honest.

    Kharesh begins his search and is quickly told that a merchant in the Lower City’s Hearthstone Plaza is selling ancient Osirion artifacts some of which he believes are Pahmet in origin. The dwarf heads there and enters the plaza to find the stand for “Fine Artifacts of Ancient Osirion and More.” There, Zetath al Ustadh, a middle-aged black bearded man with seemingly a lot of energy, encourages passersby to purchase his items of somewhat grandiose origins, taken from this or that tomb, ruined city, necropolis, barrow, or even an altar high on a mountain. After speaking with another customer, he notices your gaze and says, “ah, my friend, how can I help you this day?”

    Gurmok, having recently arrived in Katapesh, thought his first grand bazaar would be a perfect time to solve one of his more persistent problems - his goblin dog’s dander. Though he didn’t mind it himself, the rodent was a biohazard to any non-goblin he encountered. Though the goblin dog receives a few curious glances as he moves through the city, Gurmok also sees a woman leading a tiger, an entertainer entwined with a half dozen venomous snakes, and a man with a collared creature composed entirely of dirt in tow, so he suspects the bizarre can be a bit mundane at the bazaar. A helpful young halfling woman suggests he try Cintra’s Exotic Pets in the Lower City. There, Cintra herself recommends a goblin alchemist several blocks away who has helped her with this issue when she has had goblin dogs in stock. Pulchritudinous Paggron’s Positively Potent Potions is accessed through a narrow door in the Hearthstone Plaza of the Lower City. Various herbs hang from the ceiling, and every surface is covered in flasks and vials, both full and empty, most stoppered, some not, some alarmingly not with a greenish smoke slowly leaking into the room. Even by goblin standards, Paggron’s grin looks a bit deranged. His clothing is a custom leather patchwork of pockets, littered with tools and vials. When he sees your dog, he squeals with delight, hops over the counter - knocking a few vials to the ground which miraculously don’t shatter - and begins to gleefully pet the creature. When asked about goblin dog dander, he says, “oh yeah! I perfected a simple unguent a few years back that will keep the dander on him pretty well. Does nothing for the bite though. It’s simple ingredients - mostly lard, goldenrod, and arnica - I can whip you up a pot of it for 1 silver. If you apply it daily, that pot should last a week. As a warning - it may make him less appetizing to some predators, and more appetizing to others.”
    Spoiler
    Show
    1 sp for 7 doses on Goblin Dog Unguent that suppresses the dander. Loses scratch ability for the day, less of an allergen hazard to others. Bite still transmits goblin pox.


    Tired of living in fear - or dislike - of water, Gex sets about his task of finding a cure for his predicament in the city that sells everything. Unsure where to start, he asks people at random. The sanitarium sounds a little promising until one man describes it as where “mad dogs go to fester until they die.” Several separate snarky individuals point out that this is a desert, and as long as you avoid the sea, finding water is the bigger issue. One woman suggests weekly sessions talking to someone about your fear, processing the past trauma, and, after a year or so, growing into a healthier person as a result - the whole notion seemed both laughable and time-consuming. One man suggested an alchemist who he thought may be able to help. The old man he recommended did not actually have a solution, but he suggests a different alchemist, who in turn suggests a third alchemist, who then suggests a wizard, who suggests a witch, who suggests yet another witch. Finally, a third witch, a wizened old Kele****e woman, Belinda al Thrakow, in the Lower City asks a few questions and concludes, “yes, I could cure your fear. I know a spell that can… correct your memory of the event. Your fear will disappear and you will be cured. The price - well, the spell is rare, requires significant talent to cast, and I may be the only one in the city who knows the necessary art, and it will take several hours of my time - so you will need 10 platinum coins for me to do it.”

    Kali heads to Twilight Gate, where the Katapeshi chapter of the Pathfinder Society is headquartered. The friendly halfling manning the front desk greets her. As to joining, he informs her that due to some potentially exploitable loopholes in Katapeshi law, all prospective recruits to the society must have a letter of recommendation from a current member in good standing. At this point, though he remains very friendly throughout, his help proves rather… unhelpful. “Can I interview with someone in the society to get a recommendation?” He laughs, “they are all at the bazaar, of course. The building is empty right now. I just work the desk, and my shift is only two hours on Starday.” “Can you tell me where someone is?” “Not really sure.” “Can you provide with names of chapter members?” “No, it’s a safety concern. If you were an Aspis agent or Mantis assassin, they could be targeted.” After a few more unhelpful exchanges, he recommends coming back on Moonday. Kali sets out sightseeing instead, while periodically asking about Pathfinders, finally a woman mentions that she thinks she heard a merchant selling Osirion artifacts a few plazas over say he was a Pathfinder. Kali heads in that direction and sees a pale, slightly overweight man in front of a massive stand littered with… well, junk at first glance, a second look reveals that some of the items are bejeweled. The man has just begun to speak to another dwarf, a Pahmet in fact, as Kali approaches.

    Mauricio’s purely academic interest in a mobile hospital cart are initially met with confusion or occasionally suggestions that he go to a stationary apothecary for whatever ails him instead. A young couple of apparent means overhears Mauricio ask someone, and the young woman interrupts, “sir, I would bet Erthin at the Craft Carriage could build that for you. He made a splendid carriage for my friend, and she spoke very highly of his work.” Although she did not know where he was located, a few questions to others directed him to the right plaza. Sure enough, the tall Vudrani man seems to know precisely what sort of mobile carriage Mauricio has in mind, and shows him some technical drawings for three similar carriages he hass designed. “The price? It would be at least 50 gold for this. If there are more features you want, it could run a bit higher, luxury features could drive the cost up a lot. I would require half up front, half on delivery. The construction would likely take about two weeks.”

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Kharesh Hammerfist, dwarven monk

    Kharesh Hammerfist stepped onto the main street, eyeing the expanse that lay ahead before continuing onward. The solid dwarf walked through the marketplace slowly, his methodical pace allowing him to take in the sights, sounds and smells all around. He had gotten up before dawn to greet the day with his centering fitness regime that he always did - calisthenics, katas, and meditation. After cleaning up and gathering his meager belongings, he had taken to the streets to get to the Bazar early in order to enjoy as full an experience as he could. His purposeful stride marked him as someone confident in who he was and where he was going, as the crowds seemed to part around him as he moved through the market. He wasn't aggressive, confrontational or demonstrative - people simply moved out of his way.

    After half an hour of walking, Kharesh paused at one stand selling 'beholder eyes,' curious what made the items so popular. He had eaten some rations earlier, but a snack would be welcome. When the merchant handed a small bag of them over in exchange for a silver, he bit cautiously into one, then nodded in approval and thanks to the woman. It was a crisp, citrus-flavored cookie, with a single colored almond in the center - both tasty and filling. He asked a quick question regarding directions, and found the Lower City might hold what he was looking for.

    When he arrived in Hearthstone Plaza, a few vendors pointed him in the right direction, and he was soon standing before a stand with the sign "Fine Artifacts of Ancient Osirion and More." He stood silently for a few moments, his gaze taking in the different wares displayed for would-be customers. While he noted the gamut of trinkets, baubles and more, he was searching for items of a particular origin. As he perused, an energetic middle-aged black bearded man approached him with a slight bow of his head. “Ah, my friend, how can I help you this day?”

    Kharesh turned and nodded back to the man, thinking for a moment before speaking. "Greetings, merchant. I seek dwarven goods."
    His response was short and to the point, and suggested a person who was not a prolific speaker.

    OOC - Into the IC! Glad to be here. Kharesh is not a cagey customer, so he may show his cards more freely than a savvier individual might. He will look for any dwarven made items as he checks the visible wares. Perception - (1d20+5)[17]

    For any sense motive requirements, my bonus is +5


    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    AC: 17 HP 22 Initiative +5
    Saves: Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +7 Per +5 / Move 20’
    Abilities: Str 18 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 8
    Skills: Acrobatics +5, Athletics +7, Warfare Lore +3, Religion +5, Stealth +5
    Abilities: Call on Ancient Blood (prior to rolling a save vs magical effect, add +1 [circ]); Flurry of blows (make two strikes for 1 action [flourish]); Mountain stance (see below); Darkvision; Dwarven Weapon Familiarity; Cat Fall (treat falls as 10' shorter)
    Stance: Mountain (+4 AC, +2 vs Shove/Trip, +0 Max Dex, -5 ft move; Falling Stone are only Strikes useable in stance)
    Combat: Axe (+7 / 1d8S+4 / sweep); Clan Dagger (+7 / 1d4P+4 / agile, dwarf, parry, uncommon, versatile B); Unarmed (+7 / 1d6B+4 / agile, finesse, nonlethal, unarmed); Falling Stone (+7 / 1d8B+4 / forceful, nonlethal, unarmed)
    Effects: Stance (see above); Darkvision; Ancient Blooded Dwarf (+1 save vs magic); Cat Fall (falls are 10’ less)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2022-04-26 at 01:34 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BelGareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ಠ_ಠ
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Gex moves through the crowd with ease, well, with as much ease as a gnome used to the hustle and bustle of a large cosmopolitan city, and his size helped drastically. Moving like a shadow in and out of the stalls, and shops, he asked around quite literally asking anyone who cared to listen.

    The lady who told him about the...what was it....Therapy?....he chuckled as he walked towards the Witch's shop, "What a ridiculous notion!". He finally gets there, and is dismayed at the cost. Patting his almost empty coin purse, he frowns. "Might you do a trade for services? Or anything you are in need of in repayment?" he asks wistfully. "Unfortunately, my coffers are....not what they could be." he says meekly.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Diplomacy - (1d20+7)[12]

    Gex
    HP's: 16/16
    AC: 16
    Class DC: 17
    Speed: 25ft
    Fort: +5
    Ref: +6
    Will:+5
    Perception: +3
    Feats: Hobnobber, Unexpected Shift
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

    Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

    “Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi”
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Prehysterical's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lawton, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    For a sheltered (or rather, incarcerated) young man such as Mauricio, Katapesh is a riot of color, smells, and noise. Not necessarily good or bad either way, but just... so different from what he was used to. For once, the tiefling's appearance does not draw overmuch attention from the varied city-goers. Still, the hot sun beats down on Mauricio's head and he adjusts his hood to offer him a bit more protection. The burns from crossing such harsh land have been searing agony and Mauricio has been forced to adapt to the local style of dress to keep himself from getting cooked. Here, among members of every race and nation, he is nobody... and that is just how Mauricio prefers it.

    Of course, there is plenty of grime to go with the glamor. Mauricio averts his gaze as a slaver walks past, leading an embarrassingly dressed Osiriani woman along behind him. It seems as though, as a foreigner, Mauricio better watch his step if he does not wish to become shackled himself. After what I saw in Cheliax... No, never.

    Mauricio has come here seeking a fragment of a dream and it seems like the city would deliver on its reputation. It is an arduous process, explaining that he is looking to commission such a carriage instead of seeking one, but a woman finally realizes his intent. A few more directions and Mauricio finds himself at the right cart. He makes sure to keep a healthy distance from the surly-looking guard at the writing stand next door before making Erthin's acquaintance.

    Erthin's designs seem reasonable... Mauricio has no background in any sort of carpentry or engineering to inform analysis. The thin-framed and ashen grey man pulls forth a sheet of paper and a quill before noting Erthin's quotes. Fingers that are too long, resembling more the legs of spiders than human digits, curl around the feather's shaft as Mauricio writes. Remembering his father's lessons, Mauricio opts for what he perceives to be politeness.

    "I shall not waste your time, serrah. I do not have the money required at present for such a commission. You have piqued my interest with your designs, however. How often do you come to the market here? Perhaps if I am able to procure sufficient funds at some point down the road, I might return here and we may conduct more lucrative business... and potentially speak of additional features." Behind his words, Mauricio begins to question Erthin's offer. Not because the man has been offensive or done him wrong, but Erthin is a complete stranger and Katapesh has a reputation of bleeding gold from the unsavvy.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Lore (Mercantile): (1d20+7)[24]
    Sense Motive: (1d20+7)[16]

    Mauricio Averni
    HP: 17/17
    AC: 14
    Class DC: 17
    Speed: 25
    Fort: +4
    Ref: +6
    Will: +7
    Perception: +7
    Feats: Forensic Acumen, That's Odd

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Today wasn't turning out to be much better than any of the previous days Kali had spent in Katapesh. The Pathfinder Society had been practically closed, much to Kali's surprise. Were they allowed to do that? It didn't seem like an organization that took weekends off, but perhaps the rumors she'd heard were exaggerated after all. Kali adjusted her breastplate into a more comfortable position as she took a step outside the headquarters. The sun was glaring down on the city today, and even though she was unfazed by the heat, sweat still trickled down her forehead and made her scalp itch. The shade offered by the Society headquarters had been a nice relief for a time, both from the bustling crowds in the streets and from the weather.

    The halfling who greeted her had been nice enough, even if he had insinuated that she could be an assassin or spy of sorts. Kali glanced down at her calloused hands and dusty clothes before barking out a laugh. An assassin of delicious pastries and spirits maybe. Without giving it another thought, she set off about the marketplace and tried to find more information on her own. Spending more time in Katapesh was a mixed blessing of sorts. On the one hand, she got to visit the various food stalls the city of commerce had to offer and try some incredible delicacies. On the other hand, she was running lower and lower on funds and would need to find some sort of work to do soon. Add to that the increasing presence of Gnolls just wandering about, a sight which made her teeth grind together in a way that definitely wasn't healthy. No, the sooner she was out of there, the better it would be. Katapesh was a little too crowded, and it was tough fighting through the crowds when most of them had to look down to even notice you, and all of them were in too much of a hurry to look down. She'd bumped into countless people, and keeping a watchful eye out for pickpockets was becoming exhausting.

    Kali soon found herself in the Hearthstone Plaza passing by a small cart guarded by a man with the most intense gaze she'd ever seen and stopping in front of the artifact merchant she'd heard about. There was an undeniably sweet smell hanging in the air, and it made her stomach growl in anticipation. Kali hoped it was from a vendor's stall nearby and not from the alchemist's shop; she didn't trust those potion makers and poison peddlers to brew anything she was interested in imbibing. The artifact merchant already had a customer though, another dwarf by the looks of him. His skin was darker than she'd expected, he must've been either a local or maybe from one of those Osirian clans she'd heard about, but more importantly the dwarf looked like he could crush iron with his bare hands. Kali had never met a sand dwarf before, though she'd definitely seen a few around the city, and none were quite so impressive looking as this one was.

    The dwarf and the shopkeeper had exchanged few words so far, but Kali felt it was better to wait her turn. It'd be rude to cut in line, and Kali had a sneaking suspicion that the merchant wasn't even from the Pathfinder Society. It was just the latest in a long series of wild chases leading to nothing.

    Well, perhaps looks were deceiving. Kali quietly reached into her pack and took out a small waterskin while she waited, taking a deep sip and a moment to gather her thoughts.

    What do I even do if he's no' a Pathfinder? She wondered. It wasn't like she had much of an idea of what to do next. There had to be something she could do. Ah, I forgot ta pick up a block o' wood. She mused. It would've been nice to sit down and work on something while she waited.

    Spoiler: Current Status
    Show

    HP: 22/22
    AC: 18
    Class DC: 16
    Speed: 20ft
    Fort: +7
    Ref: +6
    Will:+5
    Perception: +7
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2022-04-26 at 09:50 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrK's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Sadar had enjoyed the day and the bazaar. The merchant, griff though he may be was paying well and had a canny manner that seemed to do well in his business trading. No one seemed to have got the better of tye paper and scroll merchant and the stocks of papers and inks concealed under the stall was severely diminished even half way through the door.

    He relaxed in the sun, the heat of the day muted by the tents and awnings hanging above the thronged bazaar, his sword hung under at his waist, eyes roaming and he brought it out only twice to sit and sharpen it visibly as he spied a small group of thieves ghosting through the market. But they passed him by, one offering a nod and a smile to Sadar and heading towards a cluster of Osirani gold traders.

    The bazaar was filled with oddities as he watched a tough looking dwarf heading to the ancient artifacts stall opposite and a bizarre looking goblin going to the potion maker. He watches them all, sipping tea occasionally and relaxing
    Last edited by DrK; 2022-04-27 at 03:53 PM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Gurmok had been a little wary, as always, entering such a large city. He remembered the nasty looks he had gotten from the longshanks in Oppara. And a few other places hadn't been much better, to tell the truth. But Katapesh has quickly proved itself to be a different kind of city. After all, he does cut an unusual figure, this blueish-skinned goblin, smartly dressed in fitted leather pants, an impeccably pressed white shirt with large emerald-tinted glass buttons, finely embroidered with a goblin-size hand in a circle over the heart, and a round straw hat topping his oversized, squarish head. But he sees the locals have their share of weird looks. This burly gnoll with a shaven, tattooed skull and the rows upon rows of necklaces, all made from the teeth of varied, presumably very large creatures? People barely turn their heads at him, and Gurmok has to remind himself that staring is rude. Besides, it takes all his attention to make sure Zen isn't trying to grab a mouthful of this delicious-smelling spicy fish off the street merchant's stall, or scratching himself in the middle of this group of veiled Quadiran ladies, or any other shenanigans that would get him in trouble. The large, scrawny rodent has been his best friend as well a a very convenient mount in his travels around the Inner Sea, but one has to admit that he isn't always comfortable company for longshanks, or gnomes, or halflings, or anyone not a goblin.

    On this glorious sunny day, the bustling Grand Bazaar looks like an excellent place to look for a job, but before that, Gurmok has some shopping ideas in mind. Cintra’s Exotic Pets is his first stop, and from there he gets good directions to the place where he might find a solution to this pesky dander issue. "Pulchritudinous Paggron’s Positively Potent Potions", the sign says. Reading such long words takes a bit of focus, but Gurmok appreciates the elegant pattern of the alliteration, once he manages to decipher it. Next to the shop, he notices the writing wares stall, and the tall guard in desert robes obviously checking out the street for thieves. He nods to him politely, a method that often works to placate longshanks. He dismounts, and leads Zen into the shop.

    Inside, he frowns disapprovingly at the indescribable mess - this is a goblin shop, all right. But Paggron appears to be a nice character, and even better, it seems he does carry a remedy! Gurmok rewards him with a large smile - "Friend, how delighted you find me, as it appears I am in the right place!" - and decides to try this new concept he learnt as he traveled through Quadira - haggling.

    Spoiler
    Show
    This is probably a Diplomacy check, untrained (1d20+3)[6]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2022-05-02 at 10:10 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    The merchant nods at Kharash, "please, call me Zetath! Ah, dwarven goods. Pahmet? Well," he asked the question rhetorically, then turns to the table and scans its contents, "ah! Yes, these two gold riveted saingham were found buried in the sand near an oasis about a three days trek south of Wati. They lay next to the bleached bones of a dwarf - one would suspect, Pahmet. I was not there when they were uncovered mind you, but I trust the finder's word absolutely. Ten gold for one, fifteen for the set."

    Perhaps sensing that his customer lacks the requisite funds, he says, "I have some more." He bends down and digs up one of several crates from under the stand, and pulls it out. Seeming to remember something else, he grabs a hefty dwarven waraxe from within another crate, "the waraxe belonged to a caravan guard I once travelled with who had a bit too much of the life on that trip, and offered to sell the axe on our arrival in Katapesh. I took the deal, even though I hadn't a clue what I would do with the axe... I hope he's well. I would sell it for... 2 gold, 4 silver. In the crate, there are... the names for them escape me, friend, so please forgive the uncouth 'beard jewelry.' I would be happy to sell you any of the pieces at a good rate. Please excuse me, take a look, and let me know what you'd like."

    He then moves over to a Kelesh man in a yellow turban who picked up a tea kettle, "why, my friend, this brass kettle may be worn, but it was hauled from the ruins of Sephar-Taj in Vudra! As it came from within the largest building there, it likely belonged to the mayor or a high priest. Eight gold and it is yours!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    The dwarven waraxe appears to be a dwarven waraxe
    If you would like any beard jewerly, you can buy it at a "good" rate, pay what you want, and it would be of appropriate quality.


    Gex explains his plight to the crone, who looks back at him with a look of confusion. "Have you never engaged in commerce before, boy? I give you a price, and if you cannot pay for it, you go earn the money, then you come back with the money, you give it to me, and I give you what you wanted. I’m sure a handsome devil like yourself could make some money quickly, there are over a dozen brothels in the city. I'll be here when you have the coin," she motions him away. Without warning, a loud CAW echoes though the small shop. The sound came from a raven perched high in an alcove, who up until that moment had not made its presence known. "Really?" she asks the bird who responds, CAW CAW CAW. "Very well. I could give you a tarot reading, if you'd like. Free of charge."

    Gurmok sets into haggling with enthusiasm, if no aptitude. The fast talking merchant is clearly no stranger to the art of haggling, but after some back and forth Gurmok scores a clear victory in this circumlocutory sojourn, and manages to talk Paggron down to one silver for a pot that will last a week.

    Erthin nods understandingly to Mauricio, "far from being a waste of my time, your interest is the best investment so far today. As you can imagine, foot traffic in the bazaar looking for a carriage isn't common, but every other week or so, I book a new order here. Barring some crisis, I am here every Starday for Grand Bazaar. My workshop is down in the Sprawl and you can usually catch me there other days of the week." Mauricio is pretty confident that price is on the high side, but definitely reasonable. The merchant does not appear to be trying to cheat him.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Prehysterical's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lawton, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Erthin's relaxed response prompts a small, pleasant smile from Mauricio... even if his sunken cheeks make it seem more tight-faced than he intends. "I suppose I can see the difficulty," he concedes. "If I might be so bold, perhaps I could offer a service to establish a line of credit? I have been studying the medical arts for years. I am sure that Katapesh has no shortage of clerics or alchemists... but sometimes it is more useful to diagnose the origins of a problem than merely treating the symptoms. Also, forgive me if this marks me as an impertinent stranger, but I do also have experiences in law and finances should there be need for you to focus your attention on an otherwise conflicting priority."
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I am guessing this is going to require Mauricio to either Make an Impression or Request, so here goes nothing: (1d20+1)[8]
    Mauricio Averni
    HP: 17/17
    AC: 14
    Class DC: 17
    Speed: 25
    Fort: +4
    Ref: +6
    Will: +7
    Perception: +7
    Feats: Forensic Acumen, That's Odd

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Kharesh Hammerfist, dwarven monk

    Kharesh nodded at the merchant, silently observing the items Master Zetath showed him. For any of the weapons he is allowed to touch, requested with a simple look and raised eyebrow, he took them and tested their weight, balance and feel with a series of slashings, swings and thrusts. As he spun the weapons across his wrists and peered down the handle to the blades, he nodded and handed them back.

    Kharesh seemed deep in thought as he stared at the cart. When Zetath excused himself, the dwarf simply nodded in acknowledgement. As the man attended another customer, Kharesh considered how the weapons felt, how they looked, and what he thought the relative value was. The siingham were nice, and possibly tied to both his ancestral roots and his professional ones. However, the price seemed steep at best, for accents that served little functional purpose. The axe was more intriguing, although truth be told, Kharesh was not accustomed to fighting with weapons in the first place. As for the jewelry, he had little desire or need for anything displayed.

    If the merchant returned, he nodded and pulled forth his axe, brandishing it, then going through several rapid attack sequences to display it's balance and speed.
    “This plus one gold for waraxe.”

    Kharesh waited quietly for the man's response.

    OOC - Well, I suppose some sort of 'appraisal' is in order, but I'm not sure how to do it. I think I saw references to recall knowledge and an appropriate knowledge skill. So here goes nothing ...

    Warfare lore - (1d20+3)[22], Pahmet lore - (1d20+3)[19] ... not sure anything else applies.

    Spoiler: Crunch& Status
    Show
    AC: 17 HP 22 Initiative +5
    Saves: Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +7 Per +5 / Move 20’
    Abilities: Str 18 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 8
    Skills: Acrobatics +5, Athletics +7, Warfare Lore +3, Religion +5, Stealth +5, Pahmet Lore +3
    Abilities: Call on Ancient Blood (prior to rolling a save vs magical effect, add +1 [circ]); Flurry of blows (make two strikes for 1 action [flourish]); Mountain stance (see below); Darkvision; Dwarven Weapon Familiarity; Cat Fall (treat falls as 10' shorter)
    Stance: Mountain (+4 AC, +2 vs Shove/Trip, +0 Max Dex, -5 ft move; Falling Stone are only Strikes useable in stance)
    Combat: Axe (+7 / 1d8S+4 / sweep); Clan Dagger (+7 / 1d4P+4 / agile, dwarf, parry, uncommon, versatile B); Unarmed (+7 / 1d6B+4 / agile, finesse, nonlethal, unarmed); Falling Stone (+7 / 1d8B+4 / forceful, nonlethal, unarmed)
    Effects: Stance (see above); Darkvision; Ancient Blooded Dwarf (+1 save vs magic); Cat Fall (falls are 10’ less)
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Kali gave a start as the merchant turned away from the sand dwarf and addressed another customer nearby. She still wasn't used to how things worked in the crowded markets of Katapesh, as it seemed waiting wasn't going to get her anything useful. Kali quickly stowed her waterskin away and stepped forward to address the stall merchant when her heart nearly leapt out of her throat as the dwarf in front of the stall started swinging an axe around. His attacks were precise, not even close to her, but Kali fell back a half-step anyways at the sheer surprise of it all.

    "Are you mad!" Kali grumbled loudly. There was heat rising to her face as she stepped around the larger dwarf, "Who swings an axe around a market like that?"

    He seemed taciturn, even for a dwarf, and Kali couldn't help but wonder where he'd learned his manners. The streets seemed much too crowded to do such a dangerous thing like that. Even if he did seem well trained with such a weapon, there's no telling what could have happened.

    Shaking her head, Kali decided it would be better to give the sand dwarf a wide berth. She stepped up to the stall and tried to call for the merchant's attention.

    "'Scuse me, excuse me, Master, ah...Zetac!" She started, not quite recalling what he said his name was. "Do you happen ta know a Pathfinder?"
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2022-04-28 at 10:02 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Zetath permits examination of the items. Kharesh can tell the saingham are well made, and either of Pahmet origin or an exceptional imitation. Likely, the price asked is reasonable, perhaps low even. Regardless, most of the cost is locked up in their gilding, despite being a pretty uncommon weapon. The dwarven waraxe on the other hand is a very common weapon among dwarves, Pahmet included, although he doesn't think this one is Pahmet. The axe can be used with one or two hands easily, sort of a hand-and-a-half axe. He also knows that nearly every weaponsmith would charge at least 3 gold for a new one, and this one is barely used, Zetath is already offering it cheaply.

    At Kharash's offer, Zetath shakes his head. "I'm afraid not, my friend. Goods I have, but coin is what I need. I am not really a weapon seller, all these weapons are incidental. It is unlikely another customer would come along to buy it, so I will have to go to another merchant to unload the axe. This waraxe for two gold and your axe is my counter offer."

    At Kali's question, a forlorn grimace crosses Zetath's face, but he quickly composes himself. "Yes, my wife is a member of the Pathfinder Society."

    A red-haired Varisian man picks up an ornamental silver rod inlaid with black and green stone rings. Zetath's attention gets pulled away, "a fine piece that is! Taken from the tomb of the vizier to Pharaoh Gebessek the Seventh! A unique artifact - priceless even, but I would sell it to you for twenty platinum!" The man chuckles dismissively and sets the rod back down. Zetath frowns sadly as the man walks away.

    At Mauricio's proposition, Erthin shakes his head, "half now, half on delivery is all the credit I can offer. Maybe if you were buying a cart every month, and had been doing so for a bit, we'd have a different discussion." He doesn't seem inclined to modify his whole business model for a stranger he just met.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Kharesh Hammerfist, dwarven monk

    When Kharesh started twirling the weapons, most in close proximity to his body and certainly not near anyone, he heard an exclamation behind him. "Are you mad! Who swings an axe around a market like that?" He paused for a moment, turning to see who was complaining and took in the dwarf that was standing there. He raised a single eyebrow at the obvious frustration coming off of her, and responded to her question. “No.” They stared at each one for a moment as she stepped around him, giving Kharesh a wide berth. He watched as she went to speak to the merchant, wondering why his examination of the weapon had ilicited such a response; he thought he had been careful and he had ensured the immediate are was clear. Perhaps her clan had different rules for such actions - some even thought a weapon could not be sheathed or put away unless it tasted blood first.

    Not knowing what else to say, he put the weapon down and nodded to the merchant. He held up a hand to the last offer, simply commenting "No thank you." If he changed his mind, he could always come back. Instead, he turned to the bazaar and moved to the side, peering up and down the street, scanning for other opportunities to find something of interest.

    OOC - Hanging out for now, looking for another option. Perception - (1d20+5)[20]
    Spoiler: Crunch& Status
    Show
    AC: 17 HP 22 Initiative +5
    Saves: Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +7 Per +5 / Move 20’
    Abilities: Str 18 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 8
    Skills: Acrobatics +5, Athletics +7, Warfare Lore +3, Religion +5, Stealth +5, Pahmet Lore +3
    Abilities: Call on Ancient Blood (prior to rolling a save vs magical effect, add +1 [circ]); Flurry of blows (make two strikes for 1 action [flourish]); Mountain stance (see below); Darkvision; Dwarven Weapon Familiarity; Cat Fall (treat falls as 10' shorter)
    Stance: Mountain (+4 AC, +2 vs Shove/Trip, +0 Max Dex, -5 ft move; Falling Stone are only Strikes useable in stance)
    Combat: Axe (+7 / 1d8S+4 / sweep); Clan Dagger (+7 / 1d4P+4 / agile, dwarf, parry, uncommon, versatile B); Unarmed (+7 / 1d6B+4 / agile, finesse, nonlethal, unarmed); Falling Stone (+7 / 1d8B+4 / forceful, nonlethal, unarmed)
    Effects: Stance (see above); Darkvision; Ancient Blooded Dwarf (+1 save vs magic); Cat Fall (falls are 10’ less)
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrK's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Sadar

    Crouched at peace on top of a barrel a whetstone keening the edge of his sword Sadar looks up and smiles lightly as he watches the dwarf and several market folk interact as the dwarf tests a weapon. Looking to the merchant he grins. "Master Galtho, would you have excitement like from time to time? No danger of your customers swinging your wares around beheading people."

    Rising he stretches slowly and walks around the stall looking for any trouble, an eye on the slightly more "adventurer" types that are roaming the stall nearby.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BelGareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ಠ_ಠ
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Gex looks dismayed, he very much knew how money worked, but was hoping, maybe naively, that he could figure out a deal. Looking obviously dejected at the news, he turns to leave, but stops as the bird begins to make a sound. Turning around, he nods with a smile, "I would very much like that!" he exclaims.
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

    Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

    “Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi”
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Despite her offer, the old woman seems rather annoyed to be doing this. She curtly motions Gex over to a small wooden table and sits down. She pulls out a weathered deck, shuffles seven times, gets Gex to cut, then lays out four cards in a diamond. She flips the card closest to him and mutters in a bored tone, “the inverted hermit - that probably means you are lost, directionless, or not where you think you are supposed to be.” She then flips the card to her right, “the ace of pentacles, upright - you are about to stumble into an opportunity, you should take it as it is likely to pay off, a lot.” She flips the card furthest from Gex, stares at it for a long moment and now seems to grow slightly more interested in the reading by a change in her tone, “the inverted moon - there is discord on the horizon, but this slot pertains to you and your well-being. Confusion and fear will gnaw at you from many directions. The confusion and fear are - in themselves - a genuine danger to you.” She then flips the last card, “an upright three of pentacles - teamwork is going to be paramount to your success, without it, you will certainly fail, which here probably means die. Well, that should be all,” she nods at the cards, but then the raven emits another loud CAW, so, with a frown, she picks up the deck, glares at the bird, and says, “I usually don’t bother with this part, because it never says anything useful, at best it's just ominous.” She then flips two final cards face up into the center of the other four. She stares at them for a long moment, “inverted temperance and upright justice - there is an extreme imbalance and a reckoning coming. It is difficult to gauge, but I think either the reckoning of the imbalance is you, or the imbalance will be your reckoning. Of the imbalance, I have no guess and the cards cannot tell me more…” She sits back in the chair leaving the cards where they are, “I am tired. Leave me and return when you have the money for me to fix your fears.”

    ---------------

    Galtho chuckles to Sadar, “oh I’ve had my share of paper cuts over the years. That stand has been changing every week for months now, Professor al Ustadh there is just the freshest face - not a regular like Erthin and me,” at the mention of his name, the young man behind the neighboring kiosk extends his fist, and the much older Galtho bumps his own against it.

    Erthin joins the conversation, “but, this is Katapesh, so weapons at market are pretty tame. While last week had a woman selling grilled meat, the week before had a strange man selling vipers! They kept escaping too! About two months ago, there was an alchemist throwing bombs in the market, I’d think in some misguided attempt to drum up some business - Paggron drove that one away thankfully.”

    At those words, the door to the alchemist’s shop opens and the goblin with the giant rodent in tow emerge, the door closing behind him.

    A finely dressed Garundi woman examining a silver bowl bejeweled with purple amethysts draws Zetath’s attention, “a keen eye, madam! For that bowl belonged to the nephew of Pharaoh Menedes the Eighth and was truly the highlight of his humble tomb - no curses! I swear it! Worth easily thirty gold, but I am willing to part with it for twenty!” The woman scoffs at the price, returns the bowl where she found it and moves away. “I will be here all week! Tell your friends!” He calls after her.

    Gex left the witch's shop, barely even remembering how he made his exit. Somehow, the cards left him in a bit of daze. When he realizes where he is, he has meandered into a nearby plaza, where a slightly overweight pale-skinned Kelesh merchant standing under a banner stating “Fine Artifacts of Ancient Osirion and More” catches his eye. Seeing that the proximal clientele have begun to skew toward rough-around-the-edges types, the merchant proclaims, “I have a lot of gear useful to an adventurous sort! Not of so spectacular an origin, most gently used, but excellent condition. I am willing to part with these,” he grabs a large crate from under the stand, one of about two dozen, and pulls out several items, “for a bit below market value.” As the items emerge, Galtho gives Sadar a look and gesture clearly granting his guard leave to check it out.

    Spoiler
    Show
    The crates include (all sold at 80% market value):
    2 adventurers packs
    2 healers tools
    Climbers kit
    Repair kit
    Thieves tools
    2 daggers
    1 shortsword
    1 maul
    1 heavy pick
    1 dwarven waraxe
    2 thunderstones
    200 ft of rope
    Grappling hook
    2 Crowbars
    Compass
    Cookware
    Hooded lantern
    Bulls eye lantern
    Mirror
    Hourglass
    20’ chain
    Water purifier
    Spyglass
    Four person tent


    The man in the yellow turban picks up a ceremonial dagger, a wickedly curved kris with emeralds in the hilt, Zetath proclaims with enthusiasm, “ah! Those emeralds are fine, but only a fraction of the blade’s worth! That is none other than the Talavades Dagger! The dagger was taken from a cave containing only it and an ominous obsidian altar on the steps of Mount Talavades in the Brazen Peaks. Aside from the altar and the dagger, there was absolutely nothing in the cave. No signs of any animals, plants, or fungi even - utterly devoid of life. I could bid farewell to such a fantastic piece for forty platinum.”

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Kali's demeanor immediately brightened at the merchant's words. Though the way Zetath said it was concerning, the fact that he directly knew a Pathfinder was the closest she'd gotten to making headway on her journey for days now. It was possible that asking to meet the man's wife would be improper, but she didn't have a lot of other options at the moment. Besides, he hadn't given an indication that his wife was deceased, only the look on his face was giving her pause.

    Kali pretended to peruse the wares he had available while the merchant continued hawking his merchandise to the gathering crowd. She didn't have enough money left from signing away the old lumber mill to purchase any of the more useful items he was selling, and some of the prices he had offered sounded truly outrageous. Who payed in platinum for a dagger? The crowd around the stall was also dividing his attention at an increasing rate.

    "Is she the one who helped you get these artifacts?" Kali asked, wrinkling her nose as she caught the stench of the goblin dog exiting a store nearby. "Do ya think I could meet her? I've been lookin' for a Pathfinder so I can join their Society."
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2022-05-01 at 06:56 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Faced with Paggron's impeccable if circuitous rhetoric, Gurmok's head spins for a moment. Mechanically, he takes a silver coin out of his purse and hands it over to the merchant alchemist. Then the realization dawns on him. He's been beaten at this strange game. This is infuriating - he nearly bares his teeth, but catches himself. Wait! Remember! Irateness Reveals Overconfidence, Respond Impassibly! He breathes deeply, his face calm again, before it splits into a wide smile.

    "You are absolutely correct, my friend! If it lasts seven days each worth one seventh of a silver, then it will last a week, making its worth one silver! I am glad that we were able to come to a mutually satisfactory understanding. Thank you, dear Paggron, and I pray Irori that you will have a prosperous day!" Stowing his precious purchase into his backpack, he makes for the exit to emerge on the sun-drenched plaza.

    There, he notices a number of interesting characters - two dwarves, different in clothing, skin tone and gender, but both seriously muscular. The guardsman, idly chatting with the merchant while he sharpens his weapon, but very watchful all the same. A gnome with an interesting tattoo and the look of someone who is lost in thought. And the hooded man, something unusual about him, but Gurmok isn't sure, at this distance.

    But just then, the "fine artifacts" seller decides to stop quoting absurd prices, and instead to show wares that could be of interest. Gurmok approaches, and eyes a few items that could complement his gear. This product of longshank science, in particular, a fascinating device, helpful for finding directions...

    Spoiler
    Show
    Buy:
    1 lesser thunderstone 3gp
    1 climbing kit 5sp
    1 dagger 2sp
    1 compass 1gp
    Total 3.7gp, with 20% discount = 2gp 9sp 6cp
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2022-05-02 at 08:54 AM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrK's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Sadar

    Sadar grins at the two merchants, admiring their relaxed demanours. At the nod from Galtho he slips off his barrel and approaches the antique seller and looks into the box. He eyes up the water purifier and the compass, "Ho now. What are these ones and how much would they be?" As he starts to offer polite barter and trading he senses a little pair of hands grabbing the compass to just buy it ad many other thing without th customary haggling,

    Turning he looks at the culprit (GUrmok) with a shake of his head, "Not so hasty outlander, who know who may offer this fine merchant a better price for his way finder or the stones of thundering..." He looks to a nearby stall and gestures to Gurmok and the merchant. "Now, shall we start the haggling with some tea? My gift of course" he offers whistling to the small boy on the tea stall to bring a pot and some cups.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    When Sadar mentions haggling, Zetath shakes his head, “although anathema to Katapeshi traditions, my friend, I have no desire to quibble over coppers. If a poor merchant I seem, it is only since a merchant I am not. I offer a price that is more than fair here - you know it, I know it. I have a second lesser thunderstone here, for 2 gold - 4 silver, the water purifier is 4 gold with an unused filter in place, the compass was 8 silver. If you would like to buy the compass from the master goblin, that is between you two.” True to his word, he seems to have no desire to tolerate the customary argument to lower the price down, also unlike most merchants who slightly inflate expecting back and forth, he also is selling these clearly below market value.

    To Kali, he seems to soften a bit at her entreaty, “yes, these are items Sofh has collected over the years. I would love for you to meet her and I'm sure she would endorse you, but for that I need money.”

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BelGareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ಠ_ಠ
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Gex was in a daze, and not one of the hashish good ones, he stumbled up from the table, barely managed to get out of the door, he felt like he was having an out of body experience, but he wasn't outside of his body.

    Weird.

    Somehow, his little legs moved, and he found himself at a stall for Osirion goods somehow, his mind reeled as the seller tried to pawn off some old discounted goods to some of the others nearby, he waved the seller off with a hand, but watched the others as the witches words rang through his head, each card, but specifically "the inverted moon - there is discord on the horizon", it had such....weight to it, and he struggled under the implications, feeling like the sky was pushing down upon him. "...there is an extreme imbalance and a reckoning coming..." he began to hyper ventilate, the stress of it all coming down upon him like an anvil upon his shoulders, the world began to blur, and the horizon skipped in his vision as he fell to the floor.
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

    Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

    “Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi”
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    "That's awful kind of ye." Kali nodded at the merchant's reply. "But I'm afraid all I can do is offer ta buy sumthin'."

    As she glanced over his wares again, she tried to pick out something cheap enough to purchase and still leave her with enough funds to last another night or two in the city. Her options were limited, and Kali especially didn't want to pick up something that she'd only pawn off later.

    "I'm not sure-" she started before she caught a small figure collapse out of the corner of her eyes. Kali let out a small exclamation as she looked back and forth between the gnome and the merchant in concern. Today was definitely a strange one. Her question momentarily forgotten, she stepped carefully over to the small figure lying in the street and considered the situation.

    Likely heat had gotten to the little guy and he hadn't been drinking enough water. Kali reached back and grabbed her waterskin again as she knelt down next to him. She was about to give him a small shake when another thought occurred to her: it could be a trick. Pickpockets were rampant in the city and a wounded gambit like this could give the gnome or a nearby accomplice a perfect opportunity to snatch her coin purse as she tended to him.

    Kali shook her head to banish the thought, she would rather not be wrong about this sort of thing. Also, collapsing in the middle of the street was a surefire way to get trampled, so he wouldn't be a very intelligent thief if that was his plan.

    "You alright?" She asked, giving the gnome a gentle prod. "Can ye hear me? I'm going ta give ye some water."
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Medicine check to see if there's anything Kali can figure out about Gex's condition. Recall Knowledge, I guess? I'm not entirely sure what this is, but I think Medicine is the appropriate roll here.
    (1d20+5)[20]

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Prehysterical's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lawton, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Having reached the brick wall in the negotiations, Mauricio is about to excuse himself when a tattooed gnome stumbles out into the street. When the gnome drops into the street, Mauricio acts immediately. His conversation with the merchant is forgotten as he leans forward, edging his way past anyone obstructing his path. Mauricio's long fingers dart this way and that. Check his pulse, his pupils, his breathing, his complexion... All while Mauricio goes about his business, he tries to maintain calm as he questions the sprawled gnome in a deep, refined voice at odds with his lanky appearance.

    "Sir, are you all right? Can you hear my voice? If you can, please say something."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Medicine: (1d20+5)[23]
    Mauricio Averni
    HP: 17/17
    AC: 14
    Class DC: 17
    Speed: 25
    Fort: +4
    Ref: +6
    Will: +7
    Perception: +7
    Feats: Forensic Acumen, That's Odd

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Having just concluded his transaction with Sadar, Zetath gasps when Gex faints in front of him. Unsure how to react, he rushes over, fumbles for a moment, and Kali and Mauricio dash to the gnome’s aid. Their combined medical prowess quickly gets the unfortunate gnome conscious and back onto his feet.

    Meanwhile, the man in the yellow turban, who callously ignored the fainting gnome, shakes the silver rod with the stone dials, he spins a few of the dials seemingly at random and presses into the top of the rod. Suddenly, the whole area is bathed in a blinding, but momentary violet light. A faint lavender-colored mist that smells of sewage and rotting onions lingers as your vision returns, but before you can process the scene, urgent screams drown your other senses as the area descends into pandemonium.

    The man in the yellow turban fiddling with the rod is now covered in dozens of writhing creatures. The fist-sized things are a revolting sight. There is little uniformity to the creatures, each is a pallid fleshy blob with one to three lamprey-like mouths, a black appendage resembling a giant spider leg with a barbed tip, most have a few black wiry tendrils, most have one or two bulbous purple tentacles, some have an orange eye or two, some have a protusion or two that somewhat resembles a humanoid finger, but with far too many joints. The things perpetually emit a cacophonous din of screeches, yelps, clinks, chirps, and wails - but the unnerving cadence removes every vestige of familiarity from the sounds. They roll, flop, and twitch about, using their assorted appendages to approximate some form of locomotion. They crawl and writhe over each other and everything in the vicinity. Where they find exposed flesh, either of the man or one another, they bite, climb, and plant their throbbing, barbed spider-like leg deep. You witness one of the creatures split open in a burst of violet goo, and another similar creature crawls from the husk - the newcomer slowly ratcheting the corpse it emerged from into one of its three lamprey-like mouths. The creatures are a fundamental offense to the senses, their presence makes thought difficult. While Gurmok's years with Irori help him keep a calm center, Kharesh, despite his similar background, is driven to the brink of madness.

    Joining the horde are two larger creatures, each about the height of a toddler, that stand on almost a dozen uneven and randomly arranged spiny legs that fall somewhere between crab and spider in design, however the body it hosts is a fleshy mass that appears partially melted and hosting black eyes with yellow centers and mouths arrayed with jagged shark-like teeth all haphazardously arranged around the creatures with no discernible pattern or symmetry at play. A black mucus drips continuously from the eyes and mouths, running over the creatures to drip a slime trail in their wake. They scuttle about on the legs, and the flesh near the various mouths stretch outward from the body to bite at whatever living thing they can. One charges into the midst of Gurmok and Sadar, the other into Zetath and Kali. While Zetath and Kali both manage to back away from the gnashing mucous laden teeth, Gurmok and Sadar are not so lucky.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    X1
    1: Move to N11
    2: attack Kali: (1d20+9)[17] Damage: (1d6+2)[7]
    3: attack Zetath: (1d20+4)[8] Damage: (1d6+2)[8]


    X2
    1: Move to J11
    2: attack Sadar: (1d20+9)[20] Damage: (1d6+2)[5]
    3: attack Gurmok: (1d20+4)[19] Damage: (1d6+2)[8]

    Swarm
    1: Damage [roll]1d6[roll] Reflex (Y) (1d20+4)[12]
    2: Damage [roll]1d6[roll] Reflex (Y) (1d20+4)[23]
    3: Maddening Display See OOC

    Welcome to combat! All PCs go now


    Spoiler: Map
    Show

    Pink - the swarm
    X - the two spidery thing
    Y - yellow turban
    Z - Zetath
    Green (red, gray, blue) are merchant stalls, can stride through require a DC 12 Acrobatics check: crit success: pass through as normal; success: to pass through them as difficult terrain; failure: end stride; crit fail: as failure, but fall prone.
    P and E,G are all fleeing in terror.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Kharesh Hammerfist, dwarven monk

    Kharesh was busy scanning the stalls while others turned to treat a fainting bystander. At the commotion, he turned towards the prostrate gnome and the gathering crowd. However, before he could move forward to help, a flash of light blinded him. Immediately afterwards, a cacophany of horrifying sounds erupted to his left, the unnatural cadence of noise sending chills down the spine of the normally calm and collected monk. Blinking rapidly, Kharesh spun on his heels, desperately trying to clear his vision as he sought out the source of the flash. Through his blurred vision, something skittered past him, bumping his leg as it went. Planting his feet and assuming a solid combat stance, the dwarf lashed out rapidly - once, twice, thrice. As he swung, he growled, "Stay back!"

    Words, especially in combat, for one typically as taciturn as Kharesh spoke volumes about how rattled the dwarf was.


    Round 1 Random - (2d2)[2][1](3)
    Action 1: adopt Mountain Stance
    Action 2: Flurry of blows, non-lethal if possible. Att 1 - (1d20+7)[20], Damage - (1d8+4)[7] (vs Zateth), Att 2 - (1d20+2)[20], Damage - (1d8+4)[11]+1 extra (vs Zetath)
    Action 3: Third attack. Att - (1d20-3)[7], Damage - (1d8+4)[5] (vs spider thing)

    Effects / Status / Conditions: Confused (1 round); Stupified 2 (10 rounds); Stance (+4 AC, +2 vs Shove/Trip, +0 Max Dex, -5 ft move; Falling Stone are only Strikes useable in stance); Darkvision; Ancient Blooded Dwarf (+1 save vs magic); Cat Fall (falls are 10’ less)

    Spoiler: Crunch& Status
    Show
    AC: 17 (19) HP 22 Initiative +5
    Saves: Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +7 Per +5 / Move 20’
    Abilities: Str 18 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 8
    Skills: Acrobatics +5, Athletics +7, Warfare Lore +3, Religion +5, Stealth +5, Pahmet Lore +3
    Abilities: Call on Ancient Blood (prior to rolling a save vs magical effect, add +1 [circ]); Flurry of blows (make two strikes for 1 action [flourish]); Mountain stance (see below); Darkvision; Dwarven Weapon Familiarity; Cat Fall (treat falls as 10' shorter)
    Stance: Mountain (+4 AC, +2 vs Shove/Trip, +0 Max Dex, -5 ft move; Falling Stone are only Strikes useable in stance)
    Combat: Axe (+7 / 1d8S+4 / sweep); Clan Dagger (+7 / 1d4P+4 / agile, dwarf, parry, uncommon, versatile B); Unarmed (+7 / 1d6B+4 / agile, finesse, nonlethal, unarmed); Falling Stone (+7 / 1d8B+4 / forceful, nonlethal, unarmed)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2022-05-05 at 12:24 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BelGareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ಠ_ಠ
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Gex woke up to several faces helping him stand, he meekly muttered a "thank you" and then the world turned upside down.

    The blinding violet flash wasn't even the worst of it, it was the creatures that appeared, they moved, and turned, and shouldn't have been, but where, and everywhere he looked, he saw one of them, their twisting and babbling stupefied him, and he found himself in a mindfog. Seeing a monstrosity before him, he tries to summon the power to daze the thing, but felt weaker than normal.

    Spoiler
    Show

    2 actions: Will cast Daze Cantrip
    4 mental damage and a basic Will save or be stunned for 1 round with a critical failure. DC 16 (including the -1 from stupefied)

    Gex
    HP's: 16/16
    AC: 16
    Class DC: 17
    Speed: 25ft
    Fort: +5
    Ref: +6
    Will:+5
    Perception: +3
    Feats: Hobnobber, Unexpected Shift
    Effects: Stupefied 1 (1/3)
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2022-05-03 at 05:23 PM.
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

    Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

    “Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi”
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Kali had just finished helping the gnome onto his feet with the aid of another stranger nearby when her vision exploded with a blinding light and her senses were filled with an even worse smell than the goblin dog from earlier. Her hands flew up to shield her eyes, but nothing prepared Kali for the horrific sound that came next. A vile, cacophonous shrieking noise that defied her comprehension and gnawed at her mind. She stumbled back in a daze as she looked around, taking the sheer carnage of the formerly peaceful market square. People everywhere were running away from the vicious looking creatures that had appeared from nowhere, and Kali almost lost her footing trying to scramble away from one of the larger monstrosities that charged her.

    Its jaws snapped shut where her leg had been only a moment ago, and Kali swore loudly as she yanked a large axe from her pack and placed it between the creature and herself. She could barely make out the gnome chanting something next to her, and she could feel the breeze from a flurry of motion near the merchant, but Kali's eyes were focused entirely on the monster currently trying to get the taste of some of her extremities.

    What was that thing? Its body made no natural sense, and the horrid sound was keeping her from focusing. It was like there was a fog in Kali's mind, and she couldn't quite make sense of the situation unfolding around her. Another toothy snap from the monster caused Kali to reel back and ready a swing.

    Whatever it was, she was sure being eaten by it would be a remarkably unpleasant experience. With a roar, Kali brought her axe crashing down towards the creature's hide.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Action 1:Draw Weapon
    Action 2: Hunt Prey (X1 creature)
    Free Action: Recall Knowledge (1d20)[10] (Add either a +6 if it's covered by Nature, or a +1 if it's Occultism or Arcana; this includes the -1)
    Action 3: Strike ((1d20+6)[19] to hit, (1d12+3)[10] damage)


    Spoiler: Current Status
    Show

    HP: 22/22
    AC: 18 (19 vs X1 creature)
    Class DC: 16
    Speed: 20ft
    Fort: +7
    Ref: +6
    Will:+5
    Perception: +7

    Buffs:
    Debuffs: Stupefied 1 (1/5 rounds)

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Prehysterical's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lawton, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    It seems no sooner than the gnome is back up before complete chaos erupts. Mauricio only catches a glimpse of the customer experimenting with the relic before indescribable horrors erupt with a smell as cacophonous as their noise. His mind reels as the world turns on its ear in the streets of Katapesh. "What in the world?!" Even with his senses dulled by overstimulation and horror, the analytical portion of Mauricio's mind tries to evaluate the strange creatures for clues to their identity. When one rushes forward and attacks the merchant guard, Mauricio pulls forth his dagger and tries to sink its point into the abomination.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Actions: Recall Knowledge (Religion): (1d20+4)[7]
    Interact to draw his dagger
    Attack X1: (1d20+4)[13] (Mauricio is flanking because of Kharesh, so the creature is flat-footed)
    Damage: (1d4)[3] piercing

    Mauricio Averni
    HP: 17/17
    AC: 14
    Class DC: 17
    Speed: 25
    Fort: +4
    Ref: +6
    Will: +7 (+6 currently)
    Perception: +7
    Feats: Forensic Acumen, That's Odd
    Status: Stupefied 1, 1 round remaining
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2022-05-03 at 06:10 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrK's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

    Sadar

    Sadr is confused ad bewildered, the tiny alien things horrific beyond imagining although as one stabs a spiny leg into into his flesh he snaps out of it. With a cry and a warning of "Get back you fools" to the nearby shoppers he swings his sword down on the one by his leg the blade spinning easily in his hand as he swings and slices at it with a second fast attack



    Power Attack (1d20+9)[22] dam (2d10+4)[14]
    Attack (1d20+1)[10] dam (1d10+6)[14]




    Sadar
    HPs 14/19
    Saves +6/7/4 Per +6
    AC 18
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •