New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

Kharesh Hammerfist, dwarven monk

To the Sergeant's question about the relevancy of the gnome's fainting, Kharesh shrugged. The woman had asked if there were other factors and he shared them ... he was not a detective, nor expert on what was required to bring creatures from another dimension into this reality. He was a simple wanderer seeking to harden himself against the anvil of the world; the events of today simply demonstrated several areas for improvement or work.

When asked for his name, he replied simply "Kharesh Hammerfist." When the others suggested gathering for a drink and the gnome offered to clean them up, he accepted the invitation and offer with a curt nod.

Ready to move on ...

Effects / Status / Conditions: Darkvision; Ancient Blooded Dwarf (+1 save vs magic); Cat Fall (falls are 10’ less)

Spoiler: Crunch& Status
    Show
    AC: 17 HP 22 Initiative +5
    Saves: Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +7 Per +5 / Move 20’
    Abilities: Str 18 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 8
    Skills: Acrobatics +5, Athletics +7, Warfare Lore +3, Religion +5, Stealth +5, Pahmet Lore +3
    Abilities: Call on Ancient Blood (prior to rolling a save vs magical effect, add +1 [circ]); Flurry of blows (make two strikes for 1 action [flourish]); Mountain stance (see below); Darkvision; Dwarven Weapon Familiarity; Cat Fall (treat falls as 10' shorter)
    Stance: Mountain (+4 AC, +2 vs Shove/Trip, +0 Max Dex, -5 ft move; Falling Stone are only Strikes useable in stance)
    Combat: Axe (+7 / 1d8S+4 / sweep); Clan Dagger (+7 / 1d4P+4 / agile, dwarf, parry, uncommon, versatile B); Unarmed (+7 / 1d6B+4 / agile, finesse, nonlethal, unarmed); Falling Stone (+7 / 1d8B+4 / forceful, nonlethal, unarmed)
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gurmok dismounts, and goes to help with stamping out the rest of the little horrors. Relieved at the arrival of the authorities, he responds to all questions diligently and precisely, and introduces himself:

"My name is Gurmok, humble disciple of the Master of Masters and a traveler from distant lands. I was here for shopping purposes, and looking for possible employment in the Bazaar. I am grateful to Irori that I was in a position to provide some help."

As Sadar offers him an invitation to dinner, he bows stiffly, and answers in a very formal tone. "Sir, you are most welcome. Please, do not consider yourself in my debt. Your sword saved a number of lives today, including possibly my own. If the power of Irori was able to help you in that regard, my application of it was only my duty.

That being said, I am honored by your invitation, and I will gladly accept it. I am Gurmok, and delighted to make your acquaintance."

He introduces himself to the other heroes of the day in the same polite fashion, and happily accepts Gex's offer of cleaning magics. "Sir, I am most grateful. Cleanliness and orderliness of clothes is a most precious thing to preserve, and your power brings much appreciated efficiency to the task!" Even after the cantrip's effect has dealt with the goop and blood on him with apparent thoroughness, he takes time to verify every piece of clothing with great diligence, brushing off near-invisible smears here and there.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2022-05-11 at 07:34 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tuthani diligently records the names, but laughs a bit at Sadar’s suggestion this area of the market will be closed for the day, "this is Katapesh! The street sweepers guild has already been contacted and this plaza should be cleaned up within the hour," glancing over at the noxious spidery carcass, she adds, "...hopefully. That said, it is likely many of the merchants will go home for the day, after their ordeal. You do not need my permission to celebrate, and I suspect if any merchant were to complain, the others would run them out of town." She removes two pieces of parchment and a quill from a small scroll case in her belt and begins to write something.

Galtho approaches Sadar, and shakes his hand, placing the promised eight silver in them. "You’ve my gratitude and my coin for the day’s work. I’m going home for the rest of the day, but you saved my life today - so do go celebrate. And thank you." The merchant begins to pack away his cart, discarding anything smeared with violet goo.

Tuthani returns and hands Zetath one of the papers and says bluntly, "this is your lot number. All of your goods will be at that repository. After they have been deemed safe, you can pick them up. Should take a week or so." Her guards begin to grab the items on his stand and the crates and load them up onto the Aluum golem.

Even when attacked by the foul spider horror, and even when Kharesh punched him hard in the face - twice, Zetath seemed more calm than he does in this moment. He screams frantically in a wide-eyed mad panic, "NO!!! No, not my goods? No! You must let me sell! I HAVE TO SELL!!! I own nothing else to sell!" He grasps pleadingly at the sergeant, who smacks away his hands. "Please! Don’t take my goods! Don’t take them!!!"

Tuthani bellows with a fierce tone, "I will reconsider arresting you if you don’t stop this nonsense!" The reproach seems sufficient to shunt Zetath into the throes of silent despair. The sergeant curtly thanks you for your time and departs with her squadron, the golem, the unconscious man in the yellow turban, and Zetath’s goods.

Zetath clutches his parchment, drops to his knees, and sobs.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

The response from the merchant is interesting to Kharesh, but perhaps he would be similarly distraught if someone said he could no longer pursue a life of martial perfection. However, he was fairly certain he would not exhibit such an emotional outburst. That being said, he wasn't sure how to engage with the man, having little by frame of reference to commiserate. As he looked at Zetath, he noticed the bruising on the man, and he glanced down at his own fists, suddenly uncertain.

After a few moments of reflection, he walked over to place a hand on the man's shoulder, leaning close. "I am sorry." After waiting a moment, he rose and followed the others to wherever they departed to.

Not sure if Kharesh would know in the moment he had struck the man, but figure he might piece it together in the afermath.

Effects / Status / Conditions: Darkvision; Ancient Blooded Dwarf (+1 save vs magic); Cat Fall (falls are 10’ less)

Show
    Skills: Acrobatics +5, Athletics +7, Warfare Lore +3, Religion +5, Stealth +5, Pahmet Lore +3
    Abilities: Call on Ancient Blood (prior to rolling a save vs magical effect, add +1 [circ]); Flurry of blows (make two strikes for 1 action [flourish]); Mountain stance (see below); Darkvision; Dwarven Weapon Familiarity; Cat Fall (treat falls as 10' shorter)
    Stance: Mountain (+4 AC, +2 vs Shove/Trip, +0 Max Dex, -5 ft move; Falling Stone are only Strikes useable in stance)
    Combat: Axe (+7 / 1d8S+4 / sweep); Clan Dagger (+7 / 1d4P+4 / agile, dwarf, parry, uncommon, versatile B); Unarmed (+7 / 1d6B+4 / agile, finesse, nonlethal, unarmed); Falling Stone (+7 / 1d8B+4 / forceful, nonlethal, unarmed)

5. - Top - End - #65

At the mention of wine, Mauricio perks up a little. "I have not had a chance to sample the wines of this area... so I will hardly turn such an offer down." He greets Gurmok's personal introduction with a polite shaking of hands, his fingers almost enveloping the goblin's hand in the process. Mauricio likewise nods toward Gex. Before he can ask the gnome for a spot-clean, Mauricio notices the merchant's breakdown. It is one thing for a vendor to begrudge losing a day's business, but... Zetath is behaving more like his firstborn son is being taken away. Mauricio waits for Kharesh to apologize for assaulting the man before making his own approach.

"Are your current finances so tight that you cannot survive a week?" Rather than being judgmental, Mauricio's question cuts to the heart of the matter like a verbal scalpel.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+7)[8], +1 if Pursue a Lead applies.
    Ouch, Nat 1

Mauricio Averni
    HP: 17/17
    AC: 14
    Class DC: 17
    Speed: 25
    Fort: +4
    Ref: +6
    Will: +7
    Perception: +7
    Feats: Forensic Acumen, That's Odd
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2022-05-11 at 06:03 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Though Kharesh’s apology didn’t seem to crack through the man’s misery. Zetath looks up at Mauricio’s question. Though obviously still distressed, he seems to have composed himself a bit. While there had been a part of him that was keeping his troubles private, the previous half hour dissolved those walls, and he speaks openly. “Well, in a manner of speaking, yes. It is my wife, Sofh! She was off in Solku for research, but her caravan never arrived when scheduled. Slavers must have raided it, as I went to the night stalls and found her name up for an auction in five days. This has happened twice before, and I’ve simply bought her back. In the past she’s used an alias, but this time they figured out who she is! An ancient Osirion scholar of her renown - well, I’ve looked at the records and the last one sold for 70 platinum!”

Zetath shakes his head, “I live comfortably enough off what I earn as a professor, but I do not have access to anything approaching that kind of funds! Her father is a very wealthy merchant, but he is off in Jalmeray on business. Selling the curios we’ve collected over the years seemed my only hope of raising enough funds in time to have a shot at buying her back in the auction.”

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

The gnome's magic worked better than she'd anticipated. Kali wasn't sure she would ever get the stench off of her clothes, but the moment Gex uttered some words and wiggled his fingers, she looked cleaner than she had at the start of the day. She made sure to thank the gnome before turning to see the guards make off with all of the merchant Zetath's wares. She couldn't help but feel bad for the miserable-looking man, but listening to him spill his troubles out incensed her deeply.

"And th' guards don't care if a citizen gets sold by slavers?"
    Kali asked indignantly.

She knew slavery was legal in the city, but allowing a citizen (especially if she was from the Pathfinder Society) to be auctioned at the market was lawless behavior. Kali didn't know any of the particulars behind his wife's bizarre repeat incidents with slavers, but her mind immediately conjured images of the horrid laughing gnolls scattered about the city. If it meant avoiding another tragedy like her own, then it seemed aiding this merchant would be a worthwhile pursuit.

"Is there no other way ta get her back besides paying those mongrels?"

Spoiler: Current Status
    Show

Kali Ashmane
    HP: 22/22
    AC: 18
    Class DC: 16
    Speed: 20ft
    Fort: +7
    Will:+5

Buffs:
    Debuffs:

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Zetath nods, “within Katapesh, you cannot just grab someone and make them into a slave. Outside of Katapesh though, if a caravan is raided, the people in it are often taken as slaves. It’s basically a business: raids happen close to the city, the people are then generally sold back to their loved ones. Usually Sofh would be on a caravan that is too heavily guarded for that to happen though.”

He shakes his head, “paying them is the only way.”. A small measure of hope returns to him, as the implications of the fact that he is speaking with one of the heroes that just saved the market dawn on him, “although, if one could find her, and take her back, as long as the slaver hadn’t done any legal legwork - most gnolls wouldn’t bother - then she would be free!” As an afterthought, he adds, “killing the slavers and not getting caught would work too even if they left a paper trail.”

He then faces all of you, steeling himself for disappointment as he makes his entreaty. “I have no right to ask and only a little to give. You saved my body this day, could you save my heart too? If you ever have any issues of mathematics or numerology, I will aid you for as long as I live. Sofh could certainty reward you with knowledge. And her father surely would reward you financially when he returns. Would you try to save her?”

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh was silent as the man told his story. One did not grow up in Osirion and not have an appreciation for the concepts of slavery. Fortunately, his home nation had long ago departed from the use of slavery as a major financial endeavor; most slaves now were there as penance for transgressions or crimes. However, one did not simply impart one's ideals upon the nation one was a guest in. At least not overtly and without the will and voice of the people.

In this circumstance, Zetath's plight was moving, and seemed genuine. The more enticing element was a chance to test his skills, body and mind against a worthy challenge. He waited for a long moment before he curtly nodded and muttered, "Aye."

Kharesh would like to recall anything he can about slavery here, and make sure this sounds like it's on the up and up. He'd hate to kidnap some other woman for Zetath's pravity ... or find out this is a long con to steal something from someone who thought he/she was buying a slave!
    General check - (1d20)[16] (+2 if a Wis check, +0 if Int)

Show

10. - Top - End - #70

Zetath's story initially has Mauricio horrified, but as the man goes on, Mauricio starts to grit his teeth and his cheeks tighten like the skin of a drum. Fortunately, Kali expresses her own distaste and saves Mauricio from losing his composure right in the middle of the street. He has trouble believing that a single slave could sell for that much money... Either Zetath is running a scam or the slavers are. Either way, Mauricio would spare the man his tongue-lashing until his wife was recovered. Why do the city's Masters ignore such an obvious scheme? Is the local slave extortion racket making too much money to deny? Or is the city making so much money anyway that the Masters view this side operation as not worth the trouble of investigating?

This whole thing was none of his business, really. After all that he saw in his own home, though, can Mauricio truly stand by and do nothing? Begrudgingly, Mauricio answers, "I will assist you, if only to spare your wife the indignity of a life of ignominious servitude." Looking down at his soiled traveling clothes, he asks Gex with a sigh, "Could you please spare a moment?"
    Show
    Lore (Mercantile) to see if such a price is reasonable for a slave: (1d20+7)[25], +1 if Pursue a Lead applies
    Lore (Legal) to think of any alternative solutions to the problem: (1d20+7)[23], +1 if Pursue a Lead applies

Mauricio Averni

11. - Top - End - #71

Zombie

Kali can't help but wince at the flowery language Zetath used in his plea to save his wife. Not only was it somewhat embarrassing to hear, it reminded her of a much sweeter time that she had left behind not too long ago. She started to wonder if her husband Agnar would've opened up a shop selling overpriced junk for her before dismissing the idea. That dwarf was foolhardy enough to take an axe and charge after the slavers himself the moment he heard one of his family had been taken.

But Agnar was gone, and Kali shook her head to rid herself of the nostalgia. That was then, this was now. She felt sorry for the poor man who had lost his wife in such an unfortunate way (again), and a cold resolve steadily wormed its way into her heart at the thought of taking an axe to some wretched slavers. She was even more emboldened when the powerfully built Karesh and the thin Mauricio agreed to help as well. Kali did a double take at the latter of the two; now that she was close enough to him, she couldn't help but notice there was something off about his appearance. She had thought he was a human, but his features were much too...odd for that to be entirely true.

Well, it didn't matter for now, he was offering his help and he had seemed more than competent during the horrible scuffle earlier.

"I asked ta meet yer wife earlier, didn't I?"
    Kali grinned at the pleading merchant. "Count me in."

Show

Kali Ashmane

Buffs:
    Debuffs:

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

sadar

Sadar listening to the others in a distracted manner spins at mention of the slavers. "What manner of slavers? Human or the filthy hyena-folk?" He taps his his sword hil and offers a low bow. "Either way I will help, slavers killed many in my clan and drove us from the sand seas to the city here and the indentured slavery that we endure." he spits onto the ground showig his opinio. "You have my blade..."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

13. - Top - End - #73

Gurmok listens to the unfortunate longshank's story. His overly dramatic retelling confuses him for a moment - himself would certainly have never reacted in this way - but he isnt't one to judge. If Zetath were to ask him for help to learn the way of Irori, he would start by explaining the basics of self-control, but that seems an unlikely prospect. Anyway, the help the man needs is not philosophical or educational, but physical in nature. Gurmok has seen a few examples of slavery in action in his travels, and never found a case of it being a good thing for all involved. Also, helping a longshank is also an opportunity to earn goodwill, and rehabilitate some of the reputational burden all goblins suffer from.

"I shall join this esteemed company, if they will have me, and contribute what I can, Sir."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Zetath is both surprised and delighted when Kharesh agrees to search for his wife. As Mauricio, Kali, Sadar, Gurmok, and finally Gex follow, he gets increasingly joyous as despondency shifts into hope. "O my friends - you heroes, thank you! Words cannot convey my gratitude! I will be ever in your debt."

"I do not know whether the slavers are gnolls, but it is likely. Her caravan from Solku was scheduled to arrive in the evening three days ago. They typically arrive within a day of the scheduled time." He frowns, "ahh, I don’t have much more to go off of. You could try the night stalls, but they will almost certainly give you no information and may even try to have you arrested. You could try to ask experienced drivers or guards near the caravan port in the day stalls, they may know a bit about the raiders."

The cart crafter Erthin, who had been cleaning his stall nearby, interjects, "I overheard... in case it is helpful, I’ve met an exiled gnoll who I've heard was once a raider a long time ago. He’s a spice merchant now. He could have a lead for you... but please don’t tell him I sent you... and thank you all for killing those things."

15. - Top - End - #75

At first, Mauricio wonders why Sadar bothers to differentiate between human and gnoll slavers. His own experience in Cheliax had shown that, at their worst, the only differences were in the amount of fur and the material worth of their attire. Fortunately, Erthin jumps into the conversation with his own contribution. Mauricio nods his understanding. "I shall inquire with this spice trader. As for you, Zetath... If you want to see your wife again, or at least without chains around her ankles, I suggest that you hand over what cash funds you have in reserve. I only have five silver on my person and I suspect that a few well-placed bribes with the Zephyr Guard will be in order before this is all over." He holds up all five of the fingers on one hand in grotesque emphasis, their lengths curling like the rigor mortis of a corpse.
    Show

Mauricio Averni

16. - Top - End - #76

Zombie

Kali's nose wrinkled in displeasure at Mauricio's bold lack of tact. Asking the merchant for money in this situation felt wrong. It was like watching a man try to kick a puppy.

"Now hold on," Kali growled as she turned to the thin man, "You offer ta help and then turn the man o'er and try ta empty out his pockets?"

A part of her could reason that Mauricio might have a point, there was no telling what the guards allowed in this city. She'd never had to bribe a guard before, or anyone for that matter. It all seemed so underhanded and not at all how she imagined the rescue would start off.

"I may not be itchin' ta see a gnoll for anything; there's no amount of spice that can cover that stench. But if he's got a better idea than footing the bill fer some guards who already aren't doin' their job, then I'd at least hear him out first."

Unless the spice merchant also wanted money for the information. Pretty much everything in this city was for sale only, it was distasteful.

Show

Kali Ashmane

Buffs:
    Debuffs:

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Zetath pales slightly at Mauricio’s claims. "Oh no! I must..." he starts pawing through the pockets in his robes, when Kali jumps to his defense. "No, Kali, he's right. Guards often will look the other way for a few coins," he then pulls out a small brass key. After staring at it for a moment, he says, "...my... lockbox was... in one of those crates... I have only what Gurmok traded me and a few other coins." He collects them all from his other pockets, and hands them over to Mauricio. "Please bring her back!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mauricio gets 2 gold, 14 silver, and 11copper.

As an afterthought, he adds, "the alias she uses when traveling is Foshal al Tanakur, if it helps."

Show
    I'll move to the gnoll merchant tomorrow unless anyone wants to add anything.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Zetath thanks you again as you head toward the spice merchant. Following Erthin’s directions, the group travels through crowded streets and busy plazas with merchants offering their wares at every turn. Finally, they flow from a street into a plaza dominated by a staggeringly large gray tent decorated with sky-blue stars with a daunting wooden structure built underneath providing a second floor to the establishment. The Azure Star is known to provide the finest dining in the city, serving distinctly Katapeshi cuisine. A little after midday, it is packed and men and women are standing about waiting for a table to open. The melange of varied pleasant aromas provide you with immediate empathy toward those willing to await a table.

Instead of joining them, the group heads to a humble wooden door at the side of the plaza, bearing a wooden sign stating, “The Spice Emporium.” The interior is perhaps more modest than the name implies, especially so flagrantly contrasted to the sprawling grandeur of the Azure Star. Again the group is beset by another bouquet of pleasant odors, but this time free from grilled meats and vegetables. Hundreds of clay, ceramic, pewter, and glass jars line the walls of the shop, and two people are already within - a halfling having just collected his purchase passes you to exit, and a garundi woman just requesting some cumin and ras el hanout as you pass through the doors.

The merchant, who Erthin named as Hlaspak al Varr, is short for a gnoll, standing a bit under six and half feet. He is dressed in the long flowy robes with accents of color typical for Katapeshi citizens, with a large holy symbol to Abadar hanging from a chain about his neck. He has mostly gray fur tinted only slightly blonde, and speckled with black spots. Past his black muzzle on the right side of his face run three long massive parallel scars, guarding a small hole that is clearly all that remains of an ear based on symmetry. Above his light brown eyes sits a purple fez. He weighs the two spices on two of several scales in the establishment, loads them into a slip of parchment, trades them for the woman’s coin, and thanks her. Finally, he turns to the six of you, and says in a raspy, yet courteous voice, "my vanilla bean shipment arrived this morning - you will never find fresher unless you pick them yourself. How can I help you?"

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh was silent during the conversation with Zetath, and moreso on the trip to the Spice Emporium. When they entered the shop and engaged the shopkeeper, the monk stood nearby, eying both the door and the gnoll while he let the others speak.

Not sure what to roll, but I figure there's a perception check and sense motive equivalent? Perception - (1d20+5)[25] and [roll=Sense motive?]1d20[/roll]

Show

* post roll count doesn't match database

20. - Top - End - #80

Kali is spared a lecture about the nature of government and corruption when Zetath sees the cold logic in Mauricio's words. He accepts the man's money graciously. "Rest assured that any remaining funds will be returned when this is all over," Mauricio as he tries to comfort the man.

"...Assuming that we survive all this, that is."

The Azure Star proves to be an interesting curiosity, but Mauricio doesn't need to look at the menu to know that it is out of his league. He ignores the gurgling in his own stomach as they head to the small spice shop on the edge of the plaza. The inside proves to be a plethora of aromas. If Mauricio was not pressed for time, he might have spent all afternoon in here just learning about the various spices offered here.

Of course, Hlaspak's height dwarfs even the tallest person in the group. Exile or no, this is a gnoll who could voice his moral outrage in a very physical fashion. Something to keep in mind...

Mauricio bows his head respectfully toward the merchant. "Good afternoon, Keybearer. Do you happen to have any violet salt in stock?"

Show
    Actions: Make an Impression roll: (1d20+1)[2]
    Mauricio Averni

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Mauricio's question seems to irk him for some reason, and he tries, not so successful, to conceal his lips slight curl into a frown. "Yes, I have some of the precious violet salt mined from the Rimethirst Mountains. Each crystal," he squeezes a thumb and forefinger together stressing their modest size, "will cost about 5 silvers. And, please, I'm not going to trouble one of the priests to recalibrate the feather scale unless you intend to buy at least 5 gold worth."

Kharesh notes a few things about the man and the situation. He can tell that the gnoll is a man who values his time. He is also almost certain that one or more past dealings concerning this violet salt have wasted a tremendous amount of his time, and for little to no return. In his dealings with the previous customer, he was very direct and blunt, polite enough, but to the point. He doesn't seem to have the patience for typical sales tactics of Katapesh, flowery language and flattery; rather it seems he values comparitively direct communication. There is a lot of attention to detail as well - he clearly makes an effort to keep the shop tidy, immediately having cleaning the small dusting of cumin that got on his counter. He is also clearly a little wary of the six strangers who look nothing like his typical clientele, may not even have any money to spend, and are likely going to waste his time - a concern Mauricio more or less confirmed. Kharesh also spots that at the base of his massive scar, there are two thinner scars that appear to be old burns.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive is just perception now

Sense Motive

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Sadar

The guardsman follows the others, keeping back as they stand in the shop looking about, face twisted in distaste as he views the merchant's rich wares, a benefit from their slaving past. Watching the others he keeps a hand gently resting on the blade of his sword. He looks to the merchant and is equally blunt "we know of you slaving ways in your past. We seek information to help free a prisoner of one of the bands of jackals that still steal people in the desert."

Spoiler: Perception
    Show

(1d20+6)[15]

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh could appreciate the manner in which the gnoll merchant seemed accustomed to dealing with customers. He himself was not one for fancy words or wasted time when there was something to be done. However, as he considered asking a more pressing question to their task at hand than the availability of salt, the other human interceded with an question that mirrored his own intent. Kharesh turned back to the gnoll, curious as to the response.

DrK beat me to it

Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Though clearly a little incensed by Sadar’s attitude, you get the impression he is used to dealing with comparable hostilities. With no small irritation, he rants, “would it surprise you to learn I was born into a gnoll tribe? I’ve been exiled since I was six years old. I take no slaves; I own no slaves; I have nothing to do with the slave trade. I am a full member of the Guild of Merchants, so you’d be wise to keep your weapons sheathed. Now, I assume you are not planning to buy anything, so please leave.” Sadar can infer that he doesn’t seem particularly phased by being loathed for being a gnoll. On the other hand, he has a lot of pride toward his business, and any talk that disparages it will likely be met with hostility.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh frowned and cleared his throat. "Pardon us, but you looked annoyed at small talk. We have heard you know something about the slave trade; we have questions. You are a merchant. Let us purchase some of your time to answer our questions, yes?"

He's no smooth operator, but Kharesh will give diplomacy a shot ...
    Diplomacy - (1d20-1)[0]

EDIT: Wow. That's not good.

Show
    Last edited by Starbin; 2022-05-20 at 01:08 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

“No. Leave.” At that moment, a half-elven woman dressed in the Azure Star livery enters. Hlaspak ignores you for a moment while he quickly prepares the pound each of cinnamon, kesp, and paprika that she requests. Interestingly, he does not take any money, simply records the information with a quill. She leaves with the bags of spices, then he turns his gaze back on you, and with a sigh says, “how about a deal then. You also seem disinclined to leave my shop and me in peace. Though you have done nothing so far to persuade me to help you, I believe strongly in redeeming oneself and having the opportunity to succeed. If you do not interfere or impede my sales with paying customers in any way, then I will grant you the opportunity to change my mind.” He with draws an hour glass from under his counter and flips it, “half an hour. Afterwards, you leave. Fair? Otherwise, I get the Zephyrs.”

Spoiler
    Show
    I’m going to try one of the pf2e social subsystems - influence. I’m honestly not sure how it will work over pbp. From here there are two “rounds” of social interactions. You can use ANY skill to try to influence him into giving you information - if you think walking on your hands is going to remind him of his love of the circus and make him like you, then you can use acrobatics. Very off-base skills are going to have higher DCs and potentially auto fail, but you can try it. You will accumulate or lose hidden points based on your role play and roll play. At the end of the 2 rounds, the result of the encounter will be determined by how many successes you have.

General rules about this mechanic:
    - you have two possible actions: influence and discover
    - influence: make an argument or do a thing to try to win favor - crit success: +2 points; success: +1 point; failure: nothing; crit fail: -1 point
    - discover (secret): study the target - success: learn a useful skill to apply, a weakness of the person, a resistance to certain tactics, or things that would really anger them (specify with your roll, or it will default to learning a skill); crit success: learn two things; crit fail: learn a false thing.
    - repeated use of the same skill has diminishing returns (DC increases with each use)
    - you can assume that what one pc learns is passed onto the rest, eg when interacting with other customers
    - in addition to rolling the skill, make an argument and explain your justification, these choices can raise or lower the DC

The clock starts now, you got a bit of info from the rolls before that you can use (and start in the hole for points a bit). No skill has been used yet in terms of DC increases. Everyone can post a round 1 action, the everyone gets a round 2, like combat. Order is as you post, so if you wish to discover, try to go earlier.

27. - Top - End - #87

Zombie

Much to her surprise, Kali was impressed with Hlaspak's shop. It was clean, fragrant, and orderly; not at all what she had pictured in her head. Even more, she felt a begrudging sort of respect for the shopkeeper when he refused to back down from all the badgering he had received from the ragtag group before him now. It seemed that the others were better at killing than they were at shopping, though she wasn't one to talk. Kali wasn't the greatest diplomat either, her straightforward nature had gotten her into trouble more than a few times before. And since they needed information from this particular gnoll, she felt a more gentle approach would probably work out better; even if her first instinct was to meet his dismissive attitude with her own bullheaded persistence. She couldn't quite wipe the frown from her face, but Kali was starting to think Hlaspak was respectable.

She took a moment to study Hlaspak and his shop. There was likely to be something she had overlooked when first entering, or something he had said that she could use to maybe appeal to his better nature. Hopefully he had one of those. Kali didn't want to think of how much of a setback it would be to have to track the slavers on their own.

Spoiler: Action
    Show

Kali will use Hunt Prey on Hlaspak if that's allowed, followed by a Perception roll to "study the target" and discover anything useful about Hlaspak's shop that could come in handy for an influence roll, specifically to try and appeal to his dislike of slavers or of trying to rescue a slave. If Hunt Prey isn't allowed, then just the Perception roll.
    (1d20+7)[22]

Show

Kali Ashmane

Buffs:
    Debuffs:

28. - Top - End - #88

While Mauricio may have accidentally irked the merchant, that might have been recoverable... had Sadar not opened his mouth. Mauricio's eyes press shut for a moment in a slow wince as Kharesh tries a less hostile, albeit blunt, approach. He notes the arrival and departure of what could only be part of the restaurant staff. That explains the location of Hlaspak's business.

When there is a moment with no customers, Mauricio approaches the gnoll again and fishes out his own personal coin pouch. As Mauricio begins counting out the five silver onto the counter, Hlaspak could see that the doctor's coin pouch is left painfully bare with a handful of copper coins remaining.

"I did not mean to cause offense, serrah. My father was a merchant, like you... well, in the ways that count. He taught me that harassing a man during his work is the height of rudeness. I never intended to leave this shop without compensating you for our presence here. I would like one of those violet salt crystals, please. Even if it is only for a day, I would like some reprieve from the sun's robbery of every drop of moisture from my body. As someone who is obviously an outsider, any suggestion on recipes to go with it?" As Mauricio asks his question, his eyes are drawn to Hlaspak's scars. Kharesh's observation was intriguing... What could have caused such a wound?

Show
    Actions:
    Discover: Medicine roll to gain clues about the source of the scars: (1d20+5)[7]
    Discover: Lore (Mercantile) for any potential professional and constructive advice that Mauricio could give Hlaspak about his operations: (1d20+7)[10]
    Mauricio Averni

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Kali studies him as he interacts with the next customer, a Vudrani woman with a thick Vudrani accent, likely an ex-pat from Vudra unlike the bulk of the Vudrani around here. She is trying to find dried leaves of the ganno bush. and she mentioned how everywhere else she only has found the seeds. Hlaspak is generally curt, but one thing does get him talking - his business. About how to use the spice or where it comes from, he’s given simple answers. About how he acquired the spice, he talks with enthusiasm. Since the plant only will grow in Vudra, he relates to her how he had to harass the supplier multiple times to harvest and dry some of the less commony used leaves as well. It took three whole trips until they followed his instructions properly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kali is sure that lore(mercantilism) or similar skills and talking to him about his business would probably get him talking rather than just waiting out the clock.

Perhaps seeing the contents of his pouch, the merchant pushes the silver back, "frankly - it's salt, with at most a faint metallic taste. The wealthy love it because violet represents power, and the price conveys status. It's mostly used as decoration - I think topping breads is most common. Unless you have more money than sense, sea salt or the pink salt from the barrier wall are both better, cheaper, and I won't need to bring in a priest to calibrate the feather scale to legally sell it." Unfortunately, aside from suspecting that the slash was cause by a claw, weapon with parallel blades or something similar, Mauricio couldn't guess.

In watching the man's business, Mauricio is impressed. He clearly knows his trade, is in a prime location - especially with the Azure Star right outside, has good stock and storage, and has a significant fow of patrons. In fact, the only recommendation Mauricio has, and he's pretty sure its a good one, is that he coiuld use an assistant.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Examining the scars will not be a discovery action. That just takes an instant to examine.

30. - Top - End - #90

Gurmok's sense of smell is a good as the next goblin's, so the aromas flowing out of this impressive Azure Star place do make him hungry. But, his back straight as an iron rod, he passes in front of it without as much as a twitch of his nose. Not for nothing were these years of learning to control one's base desires. Proud of this worthy, if minor, achievement, he dismounts Zen and ties his harness up to a post before entering the Spice Emporium.

Once inside, he takes it all in, noting the unfamiliar smells as well as the cleanliness and order in which Hlaspak al Varr runs his business. Followers of Abadar and Irori have this in common, if little else.

The conversation in front of him makes it clear he's out of his depth, so he makes no attempt at an entreaty. Even buying something would likely not be enough to entice the hard-nosed gnoll... Another kind of longshank, just longer-shanked than others but not any kinder. Instead, Gurmok observes the businessman, trying to guess what kind of creature might have caused such wounds.

Spoiler: Action: Discover
    Show
    Nature (1d20+6)[8]