New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Nightmare in Katapesh IC

Dalnu looks at her capturs.
    "Okay, as long as I get all my stuff back, I'll let it go," she said, "I don't have much time for revenge right now anyway and by the time I do get around to it, you're probably dead from old age anyway."
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

With Dalnu in agreement, Sapha goes to return her possessions. The rogue then explains, “I was laying on the roof last night, when Purheegee and Jaghun started having an animated conversation. Purheegee is Jaghun’s son, and a black sheep or just a screw up maybe. He was boasting about how he bought what would be a big score off Kathalra, because he knew the woman was a famous scholar somehow, and I think the name he said was Sofh al Ustadh or something very similar. Jaghun said something akin to leave him out of it, share the wealth with the tribe, and heal his reputation, which all just pissed Purheegee off. He yelled and left.”

“I think Purheegee has her, and since he always smells like dung, he probably lives in the sewers. You could ask one of the muckrakers where, they would likely know.”

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

The sudden resolution of the conflict leaves Gurmok alternatively confused and relieved. The group had been close to defeat for a moment... But remembering all the stories of the wars involving his tribe, there had never been a surrender and truce reached this fast, at least not until considerable bloodshed had occured. Does this mean longshanks are kinder to others overall, or just kinder to each other only, or rather that they hate goblins more than anyone else? Reflecting on how light his education has been on societal matters, he decides to postpone judgment until he the end of his learning tour.

His heads pops out from the platform, calling out: "Nice! From the sound of it, both groups were able to resolve this conflict without further violence. Congratulations!" He listens to the young rogue. "Turns out we were right to come inquiring over here! We just started on the wrong foot with you." He jumps down, and goes to the elf woman first, offering a solemn hand for her to shake. "I am Gurmok, humble apprentice to the Master of Masters. Honored to make your acquaintance." He then proceeds to introduce himself to each member of Sapha's group in the same somewhat stiff manner.

4. - Top - End - #184

Mauricio carefully considers Sapha's words, dissecting them like a cadaver. "Hmmm... Perhaps whatever items Jaghun is missing would either be embarrassing to his fellow gnolls... or something that they would kill him for having. Either way, we can use that to our advantage."

He stops as a thought occurs to him. "So, this son is estranged and Jaghun is missing valuable items... Could they be connected in some way? Perhaps Purheegee lost the items for his father, or even stole them for himself...."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Mauricio Averni
    HP: 17/17
    AC: 14
    Class DC: 17
    Speed: 25
    Fort: +4
    Ref: +6
    Will: +7
    Perception: +7
    Feats: Forensic Acumen, That's Odd
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2022-08-14 at 01:24 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

“Phinnaeus, but I go by Phinn,” the tall strange-looking man replies.

His bandaging done, the rogue replies curtly, “Gallwu.” Nodding toward the unconscious woman, “Palla.”

“Well met, Master Gurmok. I am Sapha. As to your idea, I haven’t the faintest idea who robbed him. If it was his son, I don’t know how that would help you.”

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Gex nods to each as they introduce themselves

"Well met, I am Gex" he then turns to everyone "Might I suggest we rest up, and perhaps, we can rest here? and discuss how we can get back at these gnolls together?"

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy - (1d20+7)[23]

Gex
    HP's: 16/16
    AC: 16
    Speed: 25ft
    Fort: +5
    Will:+5
    Perception: +3
    Feats: Hobnobber, Unexpected Shift
    Effects: none
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh Hammerfist, dwarven monk

Kharesh let the others talk, since it seemed they were all so good at it. He listened, nodding occasionally at one comment or another. He gave his name to Dalnu when she introduced herself, seemingly more open with the woman than with the people who had attempted to kill him mere moments ago. The monk wasn't one to hold a grudge, but that did not mean he forgave quickly or easily. However, given the unfolding situation, he was willing to admit his eagerness to test himself in combat had likely added to the chaos of the situation.

When discussions arose about what was next, he finally spoke. "We were sent to kill this lot ... the gnoll will likely try to confirm our success. If he hears of us wondering about, he'll know we are coming for him - success or no, we will have found out he betrayed us. If he thinks his son has the woman we seek, he may warn him. I suggest we either rest here, or find a hidden spot to rest. Let these young ones walk about town bragging how they defeated old adventurers ... and maybe find out where the son is.

What say you?"

OOC - Just an alternative approach ...

Effects / Status / Conditions: Darkvision; Ancient Blooded Dwarf (+1 save vs magic); Cat Fall (falls are 10’ less)

Spoiler: Crunch& Status
    Show
    AC: 17 (19) HP 22 Initiative +5
    Saves: Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +7 Per +5 / Move 20’ (14’)
    Abilities: Str 18 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 8
    Skills: Acrobatics +5, Athletics +7, Warfare Lore +3, Religion +5, Stealth +5, Pahmet Lore +3
    Abilities: Call on Ancient Blood (prior to rolling a save vs magical effect, add +1 [circ]); Flurry of blows (make two strikes for 1 action [flourish]); Mountain stance (see below); Darkvision; Dwarven Weapon Familiarity; Cat Fall (treat falls as 10' shorter)
    Stance: Mountain (+4 AC, +2 vs Shove/Trip, +0 Max Dex, -5 ft move; Falling Stone are only Strikes useable in stance)
    Combat: Axe (+7 / 1d8S+4 / sweep); Clan Dagger (+7 / 1d4P+4 / agile, dwarf, parry, uncommon, versatile B); Unarmed (+7 / 1d6B+4 / agile, finesse, nonlethal, unarmed); Falling Stone (+7 / 1d8B+4 / forceful, nonlethal, unarmed)
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

8. - Top - End - #188

"I am Mauricio Averni, Miss Dalnu. A pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Gex and Kharesh's suggestions prompt a nod from Mauricio. "Perhaps our remaining here will be best for all parties concerned... Your suggestion is a cunning one, master dwarf," Mauricio complimented. "Besides, it will give me a chance to mollify some of the damage we have inflicted on each other. Now, Kharesh, please come here so that I might doctor you properly this time..."

Show
    Just assume that Mauricio waits until the 10 minutes have expired for this Treat Wounds: (1d20+5)[25]
    If the thieves allow it, Mauricio will also tend to their friend. Treat this as Treat Wounds or Administer First Aid as necessary: (1d20+5)[20]
    Mauricio Averni

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"You can, but I'm going to a more decent place to stay," Dalnu said, "somewhere I can get some wine and decent food."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh took on a pensive look, wondering if the woman didn't understand. "Assuming the gnoll knows you were captured ... if he sees you, that will speak volumes as well.
    Perhaps you can stay out of sight for a bit and enjoy your wine and decent food another time?"

OOC - Might be overthinking it, but we've already underestimated the gnoll info broker once ...

Effects / Status / Conditions: Darkvision; Ancient Blooded Dwarf (+1 save vs magic); Cat Fall (falls are 10’ less)

Show
    Skills: Acrobatics +5, Athletics +7, Warfare Lore +3, Religion +5, Stealth +5, Pahmet Lore +3
    Abilities: Call on Ancient Blood (prior to rolling a save vs magical effect, add +1 [circ]); Flurry of blows (make two strikes for 1 action [flourish]); Mountain stance (see below); Darkvision; Dwarven Weapon Familiarity; Cat Fall (treat falls as 10' shorter)
    Stance: Mountain (+4 AC, +2 vs Shove/Trip, +0 Max Dex, -5 ft move; Falling Stone are only Strikes useable in stance)
    Combat: Axe (+7 / 1d8S+4 / sweep); Clan Dagger (+7 / 1d4P+4 / agile, dwarf, parry, uncommon, versatile B); Unarmed (+7 / 1d6B+4 / agile, finesse, nonlethal, unarmed); Falling Stone (+7 / 1d8B+4 / forceful, nonlethal, unarmed)

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Maybe, but then we go somewhere else," Dalnu said, "I'm not staying in this location."
    She wasn't going to stay in the location where she was held and with the people who had been doing the holding.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

At the PCs desire to stay here, the young criminals bristle initially, but Gex’s words and Mauricio’s healing seems to soften their stance. “Bragging about this could probably help with our clout,” suggests Phinn.

When Dalnu refuses to stay, Sapha jumps to the defense of the woman, “Jaghun wouldn’t know about her and even if he somehow knew she entered here, she had done so freely. Nothing would look odd about her being free.”

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Dalnu leaves after agreeing to meet up at the Dawn Gate at, well, dawn. It isn’t long before Palla regains consciousness. While initially hesitant about the arrangement, her friends persuade her to get on board. Two at a time, the young criminals head out to boast about killing some old ruffians who raided their home. When it comes time to sleep, the dirt floor is made available and a small watch is formed just in case their hosts decide to try something. On the cool ground, the vestiges of a roof permit a lovely view of the stars overhead as you drift off to sleep…

The next morning, the party leaves to reach the gate by dawn. Outside the home of Sapha’s crew, Kali, who has been a little distraught all night, clears her throat, “this wasnae what I expected. I knew that there would be dangers, and mistakes, but we a’most killed those kids. We a’most killed those kids, because a gnoll told us to. I… dunnae think this is da right move for me now. I thought about stickin through for Sofh, but I amnae sure I’d make the right choices. I am sorry, but I am gonna leave and think. I hope you find Sofh safe and well.” With that, Kali departs.

Dalnu arrives to the Dawn gate only a little after the rest of you. Following Gallwu’s suggestion, you look for a member of the muckraker’s guild. It doesn’t take long to find a dirty man with a wagon full of tools shoveling some refuse into a sluice of ocean water at the base of the wall. A mention of gnolls in the sewer has him reply, “aye, aye. Know where they are, I think the rightuns anyway. Tell you all about it for three silver.”

Spoiler
    Show
    If you want to perform additional healing, there was plenty of time in the night. Kharesh and Sadar are the only ones with lingering injuries I believe.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Sadar

Sadar has sought some healing from his learned friends the night before and had then happily stood his turn on watch during the night in the slums to avoid getting attacked or mugged whilst they slept. In the morning he is happy to toss the old man 3 sp. "Less dung today wise elder. Soak your bones in a bath and seek solace in the arms of a woman. But first tell us of the sewer gnolls and we can remove them to make your days safer."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

The white-haired muckraker happily takes the coin, perhaps with a hint of surprise. “Thank ya kindly, Sir. There be three or four gnolls living in one of the nearby chambers. It’s a big room with sewage coming in from three directions, joining together, then out to sea. They’ve been there about two months. There are four paths in: the one from the south is probably still mostly impassable unless you want to crawl through sewage; the one from the west we’ve stopped using since people go missing in that corridor; coming in from the north is probably easiest, the grate about a block that way - pretty straight shot from there, first chamber it hits; last from the east, the one headed out to sea, is accessible from within the city behind the bakery in Horrth Plaza, you follow along the water until it meets up with a different canal, head uphill against the current, pass straight through the first chamber, they’ll be in the second.”

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Dalnu had a nice night and a reasonably good meal. She couldn't stay in the most fancy inns due to her financial situation, but she did find one that was clean and that was the important bit.

The following morning she went to meet up the others.
    "I suggests the Eastern one," she said, "they probably guard the most direct route the most."

17. - Top - End - #197

As the group gathers to confer on what the best route could be, Gurmok ask Sadar: "It felt like this man was surprised. Did he perhaps expect you to haggle for the price? It is how everything is done in this city, am I correct?"

No matter how educational they may be for him, the goblin realizes the cultural considerations have to give way to more immediately practical ones. At Dalnu's suggestion, he replies: "I agree with you, Miss Dalnu. I have no taste for crawling through sewers - the look of disgust on his face is eloquent about this, as are his freshly cleaned clothing even after spending a night on a floor - and as you, say, the easiest route is guarded. I suppose we could also venture the dangerous way, but I am loath to waste Irori's blessings. So, East, yes, seems best."

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh thanked his companion for the ministrations that eased his bruises. By morning, even the tenderness was gone - a good omen for the day. It didn’t take long to find their newest companion and get information regarding the sewers. He listened to the old man speak, but something else as bothering him. It seemed everyone in this city was a merchant of sorts, and anything could be had for a price. Unfortunately few things could be accepted at face value - as their last bout in information brokering had shown them.

Kharesh listened closely, but watched the old man even closer for any signs of deceit. He also held up a hand when the others started to discuss which direction to take. "Let’s talk over a meal."

Once they were along, he murmured, ”We have less friends in this city than we would hope. As for directions, I cote for the path less traveled. Even the one to the East sounds like an escape path … or access to a safe house.”

OOC - Not sure Kharesh has started trusting so easily just yet.
    Perception mod is +5

Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Sadar

Sadar looks at the others and nods, “I agree. From the description the east seems wise. Like you I have no wish to crawl through anymore of the city’s filth.” The last said with a distasteful look around their current location.

After that he turns to Gurmok with a shrug. “my brother was the merchant, me, I will pay for what I think the information is worth. If I he had lied and had nothing I would have asked for my silvers back.”

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh rubbed his head thoughtfully, commenting, "How do you tell the difference between nothing and a lie? And if he sells information of our asking to the gnolls, that's just as bad."

Sighing, he waved to the others. ”I talk too much. Action over indecision ... east it is. Perhaps we can beat any news of our coming.”

OOC - not going to rock the boat over perceived issues. Moving on out! Kharesh is an okay scout (decent perception/stealth and darkvision), so he can go first if folks like.

Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Gex watches everyone and as he does he almost starts to hyperventilate, it wasn't getting anywhere, and he had to put out a small hand to steady himself.

He was about to stammer out something when Kharesh finished his statement "Y...Yes, let's move...instead of talking, or perhaps move while we talk? But I agree, the road least traveled, let us go."

Spoiler
    Show

Gex
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

After some discussion over breakfast, the group settles on taking the path from the East. Following the old muckraker’s directions leads the party behind the Bakery at Horrth Plaza. The rusted wrought iron grate is lifted with only a little difficulty allowing for descent into the sewers below. A sturdy ladder makes the movement to nearly 20’ below possible.

The first thing you notice is the smell. While outside of the grate it was subtle, at the bottom the olfactory barrage is relentless. The fetid air below is cold and damp. There is a slight grade to the stone floor, which permits the flowing central canal of sewage to descend rather than stagnate. The acoustics from the hard stone walls cause sounds to echo and effuse everything you can hear the distant sounds of waterfalls, metal clanging, objects splashing into water, animals screeching, rhythmic thumping, and countless other noises pervading the atmosphere. The ceilings are fairly low, only about 7’ high. Lastly, it is very dark.

Spoiler: Lowlight vision (Dalnu, Gex, Mauricio)
    Show
    You can see that the stone path is 5 ft wide and descends into darkness. On one side of the path is a stone wall, the other side descends about two feet into the foul sewage. This river of filth stretches for about five feet and then a second pathway on the other bank runs parallel to where you stand.

Spoiler: Darkvision (Gurmok, Kharesh)
    Show
    You can see that the stone path is 5 ft wide, on one side of the path is a stone wall, the other side descends about two feet into the foul sewage. This river of filth stretches for about five feet and then a second pathway on the other bank runs parallel to where you stand. At several points in view, wooden planks are laid across the gap allows for crossing from one side to the other. Scattered along the stone are the occasional pieces of wood, either covering damage, or covering smaller chutes of waste from different sources. Uphill about 20 ft back is a wall that only the sewage flows under. The descent down leads into a perpendicular corridor and another river of sewage about 50’ away.

Spoiler: All
    Show
    This is our first foray into exploration mode. Describe what your character is doing, and I can roll the relevant checks. Also, please construct a marching order.

Lastly, what do you do with Zen? Do you try to bring him down the ladder?
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2022-08-23 at 03:43 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kharesh pulled out a piece of bread he had kept from earlier and pulled off two small pieces that he rolled into balls and pressed into his nose to help mitigate the odor. Turning to the others, he leaned close and whispered, "Path is only a couple paces wide, stay close. The section we need is up ahead. If you use light, let me know ... I'll scout ahead."

OOC - Figure Kharesh can lead, or scout ahead if the others call upon light. Depending on the gasses down here, might want to be cautious with an open flame.
    Not sure how this translates into specific checks in exploration mode, but sneak and search ...

Show

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Gex has no problems climbing down the ladder, but once down, he crinkles his nose, there was nothing to do about it, so he just set a frown upon his face and wiggled his fingers, his eyes lighting up with a blue glow as he examined their surroundings.

Spoiler
    Show

His action will be 'Detect Magic'

Marching order: in the middle

Gex
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

25. - Top - End - #205

Mauricio shares Kharesh's misgivings about the information. His pride still stings after being made a fool by Jaghun. While Mauricio has had some experience skulking about, however, it was always under someone else's direction. In this case, he defers his judgment to the others.

This proves to be a horrible idea as the full reek of the canal hits him. If it was this bad here, how bad was the south entrance?! Mauricio pulls out a ragged handkerchief and coughs into it, practically smothering himself with the fabric to keep the noise down. With little more than a foot of clearance, it feels claustrophobic.

"Into this den of disease we go," Mauricio grumbles quietly.

Show
    Mauricio will try to stick to the middle of the formation. If there are too many people clambering for that, stick him second to last. For exploration, he will be primarily investigating the area around them for any sign of clues.
    Mauricio Averni

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Anybody bring a torch," Dalnu asked while binding a scarf in front of her face to avoid the worst of the smell, "I can carry it if you need both hands, but I didn't bring any and I don't have magical means to make light either."

27. - Top - End - #207

Gurmok realizes one drawback of adventuring with longshanks. Oh. They can't see in the dark. Er...

He hesitates, then admits sheepishly: "I prayed Irori to grant me his boons today, but, er, light isn't one of those. In fact... Well, it never is, because, er, I can see in the dark. And I don't have any torches either. I'm so sorry. I shall correct this as soon as I can."

Another concern comes to his mind. "Also, I will need to bring my companion. I know that few people like him, but... I do. And I don't want him left in this less than safe area of the city, with the gnolls and all. He can sense things we can't, too, so he may be useful." Attaching his rope to the top of the ladder, he proceeds to haul Zen down.

Show
    Goblins live in caverns with their goblin dogs, so, even though Zen doesn't have a climb speed, I take it he's familiar with underground movement and the occasional manhandling. If necessary, Gurmok can use his Survival or Nature skills?

Exploration: Gurmok will be in the back of the group and use Search to check for anything the others may have missed.

Gurmok, level 1 cloistered cleric of Irori
    Perception +6; darkvision
    AC 12; Fort +4, Refl +5, Will +8
    HP 15/15

Zen, goblin dog (trained animal)
    Perception +6; low-light vision, scent (imprecise) 30 feet
    AC 17; Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +5
    HP 17

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Zen tolerates being lowered into the sewer by rope, if only because of how delightful it smells to his rodent senses. Once at the bottom, Sadar can’t see anything and lights a torch, which he hands off to Dalnu. While nothing explodes, the gases in the air cause the torch to burn rather brightly. After deciding on tasks, Kharesh takes the lead and scouts ahead a bit. Sadar follows with his weapon drawn and eyes watchful. Next are Dalnu and Gex, both scanning for magic, followed by Mauricio, Zen, and Gurmok, who watch for danger and this of interest.

The group descends down the shallow grade with the stream of waste slowly moving to their right. Frequent narrow inlets join into the main flow as you descend. After a short trip, you come to a point where the flow joins into a perpendicular one. Rather than following the flow down, you turn upward to match the old muckraker’s directions. After the turn, dim patch of light can be seen ahead, where the narrow tunnel expands briefly.

Spoiler: Kharesh
    Show
    Kharesh sees several gigantic rats ahead, seemingly aligned in eating a piece of carrion. The don’t seem to have seen you yet.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    I am rolling initiative now, but they haven't actually spotted you yet, so as long as you are quiet, you may be able to act. If you attack, combat will begin.

Kharesh - (1d20+5)[22]
    Sadar - (1d20+6)[26]
    Dalnu - (1d20+3)[13]
    Gex - (1d20+3)[21]
    Mauricio - (1d20+7)[10]
    Gurmok - (1d20+6)[22]
    Zen - (1d20+6)[11]
    R - (1d20+5)[9]

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Yellow are planks that allow you to cross
    Brown is the sewage stream
    The red is the ladder you descended down
    The cavern AB13-AF17 is dim light

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2022-08-28 at 02:14 PM. Reason: removed stray initiative

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Sadar

Sadar had copied the others in pulling his scarf across his face to try and mask some of the god awful stench. Then as the dark enevloped them he lit the torch and held it arms length before cautiously handing it to Dalnu, a grin and a wry "Well we didn't explode yet". As they advance and he see's the writhing pile of rats he gags slightly before swishing the falchion. "Well, it won't be the first time I've disposed of vermin" and striding forwards to chop at the nearest rat

1. Stride to AE17
    2+3.Power Attack (1d20+9)[10] dam (2d10+4)[16]

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As Sadar moved forward, Dalnu let fly a ball of acid on the middle rat, splashing the others with the acid as well. Then she cast a shield spell for additional protection, which caused gold scales to appear on her face and the back of her hands.

Spoiler: OOC round 1
    Show

actions 1-2: acid splash on R2: to hit (1d20+7)[19] for (1d6)[3] acid damage +1 splash to it and all around (on a miss, only splash to main target, on a crit miss, nothing, on a crit success, 1 persistent acid damage to main target)
    action 3: raise shield (including bloodline bonus, AC20 for one round)