New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1256 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Oh, it would definitely suck more for the people in the general area where he'd live settle, sure. But I don't see him appointing people for every state on the planet.

No really, I think the real risknwould be him deciding to blow up the planet put of boredom.

Besides, this is all a moot point anyway.
    Considering that Xykon already would have slaughtered all the goblins in Gobbotopia if he hadn't found them dancing on the paladins' graves more amusing according to Redcloak, I imagine "slaughtering entire countries" would be a starting point.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Considering that Xykon already would have slaughtered all the goblins in Gobbotopia if he hadn't found them dancing on the paladins' graves more amusing according to Redcloak, I imagine "slaughtering entire countries" would be a starting point.
    Eh, I think that was a hyperbole on Redcloak's part. Killing so many few-HD creatures is tedious and boring. Xykon has better taste than that.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by tanonx View Post
    For someone like Xykon, I think ruling is different from administration. Not in a trivial sense, either - when Xykon wanted his phylactery found, the whole city was put on it, immediately. If he wants to roll out and take your leadership with him, he will, and you better hope they have a plan for that, because he doesn't. He doesn't care about details, or prosperity, but he absolutely does care about being the area's ultimate power. You don't need to worry about him having armies from all his cities, sure. You just need to worry that there are no more armies against him.
    Well said. As ruler of the world, if he wanted something to happen, it would happen.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Havran View Post
    Eh, I think that was a hyperbole on Redcloak's part. Killing so many few-HD creatures is tedious and boring. Xykon has better taste than that.
    He wouldn't do it methodically, but sooner or later he'd definitely "use them up", so to speak. Once regular mortals have no more value to him as a resource, you just know he's going to start having contests like seeing how many people he can hit with a single Meteor Swarm, or playing Jenga with zombified villagers, or making his own armies fight each other, or hosting a caltrop eating competition where the winner's family gets to live... for now.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

You'll see a lot more dwarven souls sent to Hel in that case. Not much honor in getting into feuds between the local evil warlords. Come to think of it, ending this world appears to be the option that liberates future dwarves to start with.
    Nah, dwarves will be out of hell if they die in battle, even uf they are evil. In fact, an evil society will have more chances to die in battle than a good one. {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by truemane; 2022-05-09 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Scrubbed

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

You'll see a lot more dwarven souls sent to Hel in that case. Not much honor in getting into feuds between the local evil warlords. Come to think of it, ending this world appears to be the option that liberates future dwarves to start with.
    Eugene suggests that they might "squeeze in a quick civil war before lunch tomorrow", though we don't know if that's a realistic option.

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    Well-said. Well-not-said. (^_~)
    I've been suppressing the urge to bring up real-world politics...

Quote Originally Posted by Larsaan View Post
    He wouldn't do it methodically, but sooner or later he'd definitely "use them up", so to speak. Once regular mortals have no more value to him as a resource, you just know he's going to start having contests like seeing how many people he can hit with a single Meteor Swarm, or playing Jenga with zombified villagers, or making his own armies fight each other, or hosting a caltrop eating competition where the winner's family gets to live... for now.
    "How many gobbos can fit into a phone booth, if they're minced finely? How about if it's a transdimensional phone booth? Ooh, yeah, realistic war games, because the table-top stuff is for losers. It's no fun if real people aren't getting hurt or killed."
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2022-05-08 at 11:24 AM.

7. - Top - End - #277

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I think even more relevant is that the god who made the case at the godsmoot for not destroying the world yet included in the argument that they could still pull the plug quickly if the last gate falls.
    I get the feeling they've had a meeting already once they learned of the plan when Lorian's Gate was destroyed. It would have been apparent that whether or not Xykon and Redcloak escaped someone else might figure out how to threaten them whether from the Dark One or on their own. In that meeting they may have already agreed to destroy the world if anyone started such a ritual.

The current meeting had a vibe more of 'should we bother waiting' feel. After all at least two of the rifts are definitely larger than they originally were and the only obvious obstacles for Xykon/Redcloak were a rag-tag bunch of adventures without a cleric (whose actions resulted in the gates destruction more often than not) and an elderly halfling's magic door trick that Redcloak would have eventually figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Hmm, while the distinct mechanic mentioned was "nemesis" (for narrative reasons) that's a good point. Other similar avenues may also exist that are not shown on screen.
    While not explicitly stated Hilgya may have considered Durkon her nemesis and benefited accordingly.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    While not explicitly stated Hilgya may have considered Durkon her nemesis and benefited accordingly.
    Once she was mad at him for the way he gave her the brush off, that makes sense.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #279
    Halfling in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Eugene suggests that they might "squeeze in a quick civil war before lunch tomorrow", though we don't know if that's a realistic option.
    The key word in Hel's memory appears to be "die with honor."

Given Eugene's track record, I wouldn't trust him to grasp how honor works. And once the world's over, Hel will be a lot harder to pull one over on, where lawyering dwarves out of her domain is concerned.

And, while dwarves have a variety of workarounds to get out of this problem, how certain are we that they work? What's the dwarven caseworker-equivalent think of it? If they're much like the default Lawful Good ones, they may not take kindly to it.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vikenlugaid View Post
    {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    I feel like I should point out that "viking" was a profession, one that only a portion of old norse society took part in. I'd also argue that they were no more or less brutal than most other professional soldiers of their time, though perhaps there's an argument to be made that medieval morality in general might be considered Evil.

As a side note, the show "Vikings" and the video game "Assassin's Creed: Valhalla" shouldn't be considered even remotely historically accurate, and the current pop-cultural image of vikings is deeply stupid.
    Last edited by truemane; 2022-05-09 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Scrub the quote

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Havran View Post
    He has a bouncing ball of insanity and most probably has Blackfire as an 8th level spell. If he wants to slaughter a city, he is absolutely able to in a minimal amount of time.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Also, he’d totally start a Wightpocalypse because he was bored.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #283

Kobold

The cool dead bug that Sunny wanted to show Elan?

14. - Top - End - #284

Quote Originally Posted by JonahFalcon View Post

Spoiler: Hiding the giant picture
    Show

A Spinal Centipede, I gather? I don't know Magic-ese, but I think it's harmless as long as it's dead?
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2022-05-10 at 12:01 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    [/SPOILER]
    A Spinal Centipede, I gather? I don't know Magic-ese, but I think it's harmless as long as it's dead?

Monstrous Centipede.

16. - Top - End - #286

Monstrous Centipede.
    The image is from Magic: The Gathering.

17. - Top - End - #287

To me that's rather a-hat-on-a-hat, what with having an endoskeleton outside an exoskeleton.

My silly suggestion for cool-dead bug is Shedinja. Which is cicada-ghost-ninja-pokemon.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

So, who here thinks the cool dead bug will turn out to have important plot significance?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    So, who here thinks the cool dead bug will turn out to have important plot significance?
    Considering that the punchlines of each comic generally have less plot significance than anything else that's said, it's unlikely.
    I like heated water, not heated arguments.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Really, REALLY enjoyed Belkar's perspective here. I remember back in the middle of DStP, I was so annoyed with him and lost no tears over his impending permadeath. But these days with every update, Belkar's character deepens more and more. His convo with Minrah on the ship made me genuinely sad about the prophecy breathing down his neck. I'm aching to see how his arc wraps up...maybe moreso than any other PC!

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Also, he’d totally start a Wightpocalypse because he was bored.
    I mean, I've done that because I was bored, and I'm not even an evil lich!

Rest in peace, Infectonator. Bring back Flash Player! (except don't)

21. - Top - End - #291
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    I mean, I've done that because I was bored, and I'm not even an evil lich!

Rest in peace, Infectonator. Bring back Flash Player! (except don't)
    You can get Infectonator on Steam FYI

22. - Top - End - #292

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Larsaan View Post
    I feel like I should point out that "viking" was a profession, one that only a portion of old norse society took part in. I'd also argue that they were no more or less brutal than most other professional soldiers of their time, though perhaps there's an argument to be made that medieval morality in general might be considered Evil.

As a side note, the show "Vikings" and the video game "Assassin's Creed: Valhalla" shouldn't be considered even remotely historically accurate, and the current pop-cultural image of vikings is deeply stupid.
    I am just saying that as far as we know, according to #737 every dwarf who die in battle doesn't go to hel, they go wherever their alignment send them, but not to hel.

23. - Top - End - #293

SolithKnightGuy

Since Thor is the main battle god of the pantheon and dying in battle is the easiest way to die honourably it makes sense most go to Thor. It’s interesting that other northern gods haven’t made that effort and surely they know about the Bet. Then again, maybe not.
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    Since Thor is the main battle god of the pantheon

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr
    I would see this world torn to shreds, before I allow anyone to gain a strategic advantage over us. Tyr, God of War, votes Yes.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Since Thor is the main battle god of the pantheon
    Source?
    and dying in battle is the easiest way to die honourably it makes sense most go to Thor.
    Even assuming that Thor is the main battle god, why would dying in battle have them go to Thor? Dying honorably only gets the souls to get out of the Hel deal, they go wherever they would have without the bet. Not specifically to Thor.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #296

SolithKnightGuy

War =/= battle
    Strategy =/= tactics
    If he isn’t the battle god what is he? God of beer? And if they go to other gods after then why aren’t we seeing those gods arguing the case for their worshippers? Sure, we see Loki doesn’t care much about his but a LG like Tyr seems to be would surely be fulfilling his duty.
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

If he isn’t the battle god what is he? God of beer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor
    We owe it to our followers to give them every chance to make this right. Thor, God of Storms, votes No.
    And if they go to other gods after then why aren’t we seeing those gods arguing the case for their worshippers?
    Either:
    A)Because Thor is the one who made the Bet in the first place so he feels it is his responsability to help every single dwarf damned by his fault.
    B)They do, but we haven't been shown it because they're not relevant to the story unlike Thor who is Durkon's chosen god.
    Sure, we see Loki doesn’t care much about his but a LG like Tyr seems to be would surely be fulfilling his duty.
    Assuming thr one handed god from 1143 is Tyr (and come on, he totally is), his willingness to doom an infinity of planets just to spite and ennemy makes me doubt he's LG in this universe.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-05-12 at 09:27 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298

I believe it has been mentioned about a thousand times that Thor is the god of thunder, and explained in detail once that he the god of weather in general.

Also, were you being sarcastic about "God of beer"?
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

29. - Top - End - #299

HalflingRogueGuy

War =/= battle
    Strategy =/= tactics
    God of thunder?

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

War =/= battle
    Strategy =/= tactics
    If he isn’t the battle god what is he? God of beer? And if they go to other gods after then why aren’t we seeing those gods arguing the case for their worshippers? Sure, we see Loki doesn’t care much about his but a LG like Tyr seems to be would surely be fulfilling his duty.
    So, just to be clear here, you have no source for Thor being the god of battle?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2