New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: OOTS #1256 - The Discussion Thread

*scrubbed*
    Last edited by flat_footed; 2022-05-12 at 10:32 PM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Clearly his role goes further than just storms though especially since most Northern dwarves seem to live underground. So for them at least he seems to be more a battle god.
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    Clearly his role goes further than just storms though especially since most Northern dwarves seem to live underground. So for them at least he seems to be more a battle god.
    He generally seems to be in charge of rain and the weather (per Sigdi telling Durkon that clouds are where he keeps rain when he's not using it). Given his demeanor and antagonism with Loki and Surtur, it's likely he's also worshipped as a warrior god in some capacity, but he's not the pantheon's main battle-god which was the claim I objected to.

I also disagree that the dwarves don't see him as that much of a sky god. They see omens in his lightning (see the whole tree business), his main center of worship seems to be Firmament, which is unusually close to the surface, and his priests there have a tradition of star-gazing.

Edit: so his function as a warrior seems secondary to his role of storm-master.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-05-13 at 07:31 AM.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Interesting art problem, the party is now up to 10 humanoids (6 OOTS, Minrah, 2 paladins, and Serini) plus one beholder. Not to mention a cat, a raven, and an allosaurus currently polymorphed into a lizard, although he's parked outside the lair.

I wonder if we'll be skipping to Team Evil or the fiends next, now that everyone's getting along. Sure, Xykon and Redcloak only saw 2 dwarves but their bugbear tracker is going to see a lot more tracks real soon.
    Last edited by drazen; 2022-05-13 at 08:45 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Chaotic Neutral Human Sorcerer (5th Level)

Ability Scores:

Strength - 11
    Dexterity - 16
    Constitution - 11
    Intelligence - 15
    Wisdom - 12
    Charisma - 11

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post
    Interesting art problem, the party is now up to 10 humanoids (6 OOTS, Minrah, 2 paladins, and Serini) plus one beholder. Not to mention a cat, a raven, and an allosaurus currently polymorphed into a lizard, although he's parked outside the lair.

I wonder if we'll be skipping to Team Evil or the fiends next, now that everyone's getting along. Sure, Xykon and Redcloak only saw 2 dwarves but their bugbear tracker is going to see a lot more tracks real soon.
    True (I doubt we'll be cutting off, though), but what does this have to do with the post of mine that you quoted.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Either:
    A)Because Thor is the one who made the Bet in the first place so he feels it is his responsability to help every single dwarf damned by his fault.
    B)They do, but we haven't been shown it because they're not relevant to the story unlike Thor who is Durkon's chosen god.
    Probably a mix of both. Other gods can contest souls with Hel, even those that aren't theirs. Thor probably does most of them on principle but he isn't required to.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

True (I doubt we'll be cutting off, though), but what does this have to do with the post of mine that you quoted.
    Actually nothing. I just forgot to remove the quote when replying to the general thread. It's been the kind of week where I'm really glad it's Friday.

Also the new comic came up -- guess it was a little of both!
    Last edited by drazen; 2022-05-13 at 09:31 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Chaotic Neutral Human Sorcerer (5th Level)

Ability Scores:

Strength - 11
    Dexterity - 16
    Constitution - 11
    Intelligence - 15
    Wisdom - 12
    Charisma - 11

8. - Top - End - #308
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

So, again, to be clear here, you have no source for this at all?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    So, again, to be clear here, you have no source for this at all?
    They are somewhat limited by the board restrictions on mentioning real world religions.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Barbarian in the Playground

In my opinion there's a conceptual problem with the way D&D does deities.

Are they supposed to be deities of a domain or of a path?

Domains are like choosing the supermarket or post office: it's a question of if I want to send a package or get some bread. Eventually I'll need both; there's no such things as a person that doesn't use both of them. Dwarfs collectively need a bunch of domains, including domains ill suited to adventurers like farming, fertility, family, and fermentation.

Path being worldviews and ethical frameworks. For roleplaying and story purposes we typically want paths so that a cleric can have a special relationship with a deity.

The contradiction being that domains serve to limit the context where a deity is relevant, and paths tend to universalize the context where the deity is relevant.

So is Thor the weather god? Then he doesn't matter underground. Is he the Battle god? Then he doesn't matter when it's time to cure a plague. If we go strictly by domain, most gods are irrelevant most of the time. Some other choice of domain might be relevant more often that weather for dwarfs, but they are all, by their essence, limiting.

I'd say it makes the most sense to think of Thor as a path deity with some domains tacked on. Thor cares if you're good, he cares if you're brave, he cares about most things you do. He doesn't seem to care about the weather foremost.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Bugbear in the Playground

He generally seems to be in charge of rain and the weather (per Sigdi telling Durkon that clouds are where he keeps rain when he's not using it).
    So, rain is stored in the clouds?

(Actually quite a lovely description, but I couldn't resist alluding to the famous never-paid-attention-in-biology fail.)
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

12. - Top - End - #312
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    They are somewhat limited by the board restrictions on mentioning real world religions.
    Given that we are not discussing any real-world religious figures and instead are discussing an explicitly fictional deity based on (but still not the same as) the explicitly fictional deity in Dungeons and Dragons, I don't see how that is limiting at all.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #313

Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post
    Actually nothing. I just forgot to remove the quote when replying to the general thread. It's been the kind of week where I'm really glad it's Friday.

Also the new comic came up -- guess it was a little of both!
    Ah, thank you much! Today is the second occasion in a row that I've clicked on my bookmark to go to the comic index and seen nothing new (a couple of times, no less)... then when someone referred to a new comic being up, I clicked it again and still saw nothing new until I click Reload.

(For clarity, I didn't return to that spot in browser history. I clicked on a bookmark to go there as a de novo action.)

I'll have to keep it in mind going forward.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

14. - Top - End - #314

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Given that we are not discussing any real-world religious figures and instead are discussing an explicitly fictional deity based on (but still not the same as) the explicitly fictional deity in Dungeons and Dragons, I don't see how that is limiting at all.
    FWIW, the Norse gods are not without real-world followers. I know one hobbyist blacksmith who wears a hammer-of-Thor pendant -- I haven't inquired as to his actual faith -- and I see more than a few others on Forged in Fire. There are also some SCA fighters with Norse personae who wear that pendant mundanely.

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    So, rain is stored in the clouds?

(Actually quite a lovely description, but I couldn't resist alluding to the famous never-paid-attention-in-biology fail.)
    I don't know what you're alluding to, but I'm curious.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2022-06-02 at 11:01 AM.