New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: OOTS #1256 - The Discussion Thread

Yeah, I have a feeling that if anything happens to Serini, Elan is going to have his own familiar.

Btw, is it just me, or did Serini's question regarding Xykon sound a bit suspicious?
    Last edited by Edward15; 2022-04-26 at 08:38 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    Am I the only one that actually counted them to see if it was in fact 11?
    I love that it was also a joke about how many eyes a trademark beholder actually has. :D

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I mean, given the way they voted, can you say they don't deserve it?
    They were split, and I imagine some of the destroy the world votes might have been trying to avoid mortal souls getting annihilated by the Snarl.

Though I can see how that reasoning wouldn't be particularly compelling to Roy and the others.

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by link3710 View Post
    And hopefully this puts an end to all the debates about Serini's motivations. While I wouldn't say she was exactly correct, the lack of even factoring in the gods makes perfect sense for her.
    I dunno, I'm not a fan of "this character conveniently forgot this important piece of information they know." Then again it's not exactly clear how speculative the Scribblers' understanding of the gods' intention was. Did they even know about the Godsmoot?
    People forget things all the time, even important things they would not want to forget. Aging can increase this and certain diseases can do so devastatingly. Also, I don't think it's accurate to say that Serini forgetting this information was "convenient" in story terms because forgetting was not the solution to a dilemma, but rather a factor in the cause. Additionally the reasons given for her forgetting to include the gods in her calculus seem reasonable and we could even possibly add on the trauma of facing Xykon again as another possible reason that could have clouded her thinking in a way that allowed her to forget to consider what the gods might do.
    Last edited by pearl jam; 2022-04-26 at 05:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    Sunny meeting the MitD will be gold. I wouldn't be surprised if the two ended up as long-term friends in the end.
    I think it is quite likely that Sunny knows the MitD already from his time in Dorukan's dungeon. Maybe Serini had various ways of keeping tabs on the gates and sending Sunny there to look for work was probably one. So we might get a Sunny/MitD flashback.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edward15 View Post
    Yeah, I have a feeling that if anything happens to Seirini, Elan is going to have his own familiar.

Btw, is it just me, or did Seirini's question regarding Xykon sound a bit suspicious?
    Serini. Serini Toormuck.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Belkar...BELKAR, Mr. Wisdom of a coffee table, just successfully empathized with another person and then phrased a compelling argument about his viewpoint using his understanding. And he didn't even do it on purpose, it was just them connecting through natural Chaotic cynicism. I...What the...WHAT?
    Last edited by woweedd; 2022-04-26 at 09:01 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

While Belkar and Haley did well, I can't help but feel that the most decisive factor in Serini changing her mind was having a Paladin to yell at. Lien coming in put her back up and she starts agreeing with the Order without even thinking about it.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    Haley doesn’t seem to happy about Elan spending so much time with Sunny though.
    She looks downright jealous. My mind is going off on a number of tangents there.

10. - Top - End - #100

Is "Adorbeholder" copyrighted?

11. - Top - End - #101

One fun thing I noticed was that Lien doesn’t actually know Belkar’s name. That makes sense because they’ve only incidentally met before today.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

12. - Top - End - #102

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Edward15 View Post
    Yeah, I have a feeling that if anything happens to Serini, Elan is going to have his own familiar.

Btw, is it just me, or did Serini's question regarding Xykon sound a bit suspicious?
    Cohort, not familiar.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

I love the beholder with cute little eyes.
    For some reason, I am starting to see Bob from YAFGC vibe here.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Serini's comment about letting Xykon live brought back a theory I saw discussed a while ago: The order could literally tell Xykon that Redcloak plans to give the Gate to the Dark One, that there was never a way to control the Snarl, and that the gods are a hairs breath away from hitting the Big Red Button. He probably wouldn't believe it at first, but he has plenty of reason to be suspicious of Redcloak, and creating that rift in Team Evil might quickly dissolve their ability to accomplish anything.

Of course, it might damage their ability to negotiate with Redcloak, but that's better than being steamrolled by approximately 10 butt-tons of epic lich sorcerer.
    I like heated water, not heated arguments.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Oh, I always love seeing Belkar's unfiltered speech knocking some sense back into people. Did he take a feat that added his attack roll and/or damage roll to his diplomacy checks or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Oh, I always love seeing Belkar's unfiltered speech knocking some sense back into people. Did he take a feat that added his attack roll and/or damage roll to his diplomacy checks or something?
    No, he gets to make an attack roll against bull****.
    I like heated water, not heated arguments.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thermophille View Post
    Serini's comment about letting Xykon live brought back a theory I saw discussed a while ago: The order could literally tell Xykon that Redcloak plans to give the Gate to the Dark One, that there was never a way to control the Snarl, and that the gods are a hairs breath away from hitting the Big Red Button. He probably wouldn't believe it at first, but he has plenty of reason to be suspicious of Redcloak, and creating that rift in Team Evil might quickly dissolve their ability to accomplish anything.

Of course, it might damage their ability to negotiate with Redcloak, but that's better than being steamrolled by approximately 10 butt-tons of epic lich sorcerer.
    "Damage their ability to negotiate"?
    I suppose negotiating with a stain on the floor would​ be rather difficult.

18. - Top - End - #108

Don’t need to mention the Gods and big red button. Just got to split Xykon from Redcloak. Got two rogues now, shouldn’t be too hard. Like you said he’s already suspicious of Redcloak, (feigned) betrayal would be enough. Xykon’s shown in the Throne room to (belatedly) retreat if he’s at risk of losing. Particularly if he gets suspicious about his phylactery/Astral Fortress.

He of course sets MitD on Redcloak, and then O’Chul outpaladins every paladin ever and tries to stop Monster-san from eating Redcloak. Redcloak is amazed that an Azure City Paladin would save him, as he was with the hobgoblin saving him from the catapult boulder. Monster-san upset about killing his only friend is enough to break the spell, as with Thanh with pretend Shojo.

Redcloak has now lost his arcane caster for the plan and developed some sympathy for the cause.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Belkar...BELKAR, Mr. Wisdom of a coffee table, just successfully empathized with another person and then phrased a compelling argument about his viewpoint using his understanding. And he didn't even do it on purpose, it was just them connecting through natural Chaotic cynicism. I...What the...WHAT?
    I think it probably was deliberate. It parallels what Roy tried to drunkenly explain at the end of the dwarven lands, that Belkar is effective when he can be bothered to be.

In this case Belkar, looking at this from a Chaotic perspective, realised that the problem was that the talkers were all Lawful and so couldn't frame their arguments as anti-authoritarian, which Serini would find credible. So he stomped in there with all the tact of a lit match in a bottle of high strength sake and insulted all the gods in front of a pair of paladins. It's kinda what he does.

On an aside, anyone else getting a distracted boyfriend meme vibe from the last panel?

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Michaeler View Post
    I think it probably was deliberate. It parallels what Roy tried to drunkenly explain at the end of the dwarven lands, that Belkar is effective when he can be bothered to be.

In this case Belkar, looking at this from a Chaotic perspective, realised that the problem was that the talkers were all Lawful and so couldn't frame their arguments as anti-authoritarian, which Serini would find credible. So he stomped in there with all the tact of a lit match in a bottle of high strength sake and insulted all the gods in front of a pair of paladins. It's kinda what he does.

On an aside, anyone else getting a distracted boyfriend meme vibe from the last panel?
    And thank you for that lovely mental image.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    The Scribblers as a group completely succeeded at their initial goal. The aftermath where someone might figure out the Gates themselves might be used as a weapon was given barely any thought. Yes, they figured out this possibility but I think it is fair to say they did not have a plan or consider the larger ramifications at all.

Heck, they apparently knew a Gate could be weaponized, but they may not have realized that this could actually be used to kill a god. The gods live Out There and the Gates wrap Rifts in the fabric of This World Here. Whether they did or did not recognize this specific possibility is speculation.
    Dorukon did seem to foresee that a gate could be weaponised, and did have a plan to prevent it - the self destruct button.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Pretty sure he did it on purpose. And for all his failings as a ranger, Belkar hasnalways been pretty perceptive about people. So he can better insult them, true, but still, since the pyramid he's been channelling that in more useful ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoHaxJustPi View Post
    Durkon has Speak with Dead. Granted, it didn't work so hot last time, but you never know...
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-04-27 at 02:41 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Eleven puppy dog eyes: the most powerful eye attack in the manual!!!

24. - Top - End - #114
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Did Rich just make the cute beholder unspecified eye creature even cuter?
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2022-04-27 at 03:05 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonmantle View Post
    She looks downright jealous. My mind is going off on a number of tangents there.
    I wouldn't go that far-- on either point-- but I'm still not sure what Haley's expression is or means. My thought was perhaps some befuddlement that, as soon as the conflict is resolved, Elan is immediately back off to doing childish things. Maybe a bit of concern about him wandering off with a strange monster they just met (even if they seem friendly).

Quote Originally Posted by NoHaxJustPi View Post
    Yeah, leaving Redcloak a grease spot wouldn't help matters much, and there's no real reason Xykon wouldn't still just kill the Order. Plus, Roy's got the blood oath.

However, when I started to think about it, it would be a hell of an interesting play in combat. I don't know if Xykon would believe them, but if he did, in theory it could force Redcloak to switch sides-- because after that cat's out of the bag, Xykon is definitely going to kill him, and the Order definitely needs his help.

It could also be of a theme with cooperation and the friends we made along the way-- the final ally the Order needs to win over in order to succeed, leaving Xykon all alone. That said, I'm not sure how well the theme sticks if the cooperation is effectively coerced.

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Eh, I'd peg Serini as CN at best.
    oh no, here we go again...
    Eh, her "good guys love that line" chuckle here pushed me a long way into "she's Neutral"

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    One fun thing I noticed was that Lien doesn’t actually know Belkar’s name. That makes sense because they’ve only incidentally met before today.
    There's also the fact that, as Roy once mentioned, neither Lien nor O'Chul are actually allowed to associate with Belkar:
    https://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/paladin.htm
    While she may adventure with characters of any good or neutral alignment, a paladin will never knowingly associate with evil characters, nor will she continue an association with someone who consistently offends her moral code

At best, they're walking a tightrope with this party by not "knowing" Belkar is CE. One "Detect Evil" in the wrong direction, and they have a problem.
    Last edited by Reboot; 2022-04-27 at 05:39 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

How would they come by this knowledge in order to tell Xykon? Only Tsukiko was able to figure it out, and they that took having Xykon directly give her everything she needed to even be able to guess that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    Dorukon did seem to foresee that a gate could be weaponised, and did have a plan to prevent it - the self destruct button.
    I do wonder if that would have been the case had the author gone in on panel 1 with the story outlined and plotted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Eh, her "good guys love that line" chuckle here pushed me a long way into "she's Neutral"
    Yep. I may have been a bit flippant when I said "at best" but I believe she is firmly Neutral.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

28. - Top - End - #118
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Was it just me, or did anyone else get emails this morning about the last 10 strips being posted?

29. - Top - End - #119

I'm sure you get these posts a lot Rich, but still: brilliant writing.

I was ready to grudgingly accept Serini as another bull headed minor antagonist, a bit like Tarquin. I mean, fiction has taught us that old people are incredibly good at not changing their opinion, and I was ready to bin Serini there.

Having Belkar upstage the entire party and present facts in a viewpoint no other party member even considers is cathartic. I want the cool rogue-ish grandma to be on the heroes side! Thank you and once again props.

As an aside, I started reading webcomics before I was 20 years old. It did take me a while to discover OotS, i think my first archive binge led me to around comic 400 or something, which would make my OotS discovery at 2007, so i would be on my late 20s. Now i recently broke the 40s. I have already dropped every single other webcomic, except for OotS. It's the sole comic I still check at least once a week to see if new comics came up. It sounds insane to me that you held my attention for so long even as I changed so much, but that is exactly what you're doing.
    Last edited by Noodz; 2022-04-27 at 08:18 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120

AssassinGuy

"Every part of this is hideously complicated," indeed. About every 6 months, I have to go back and read from the beginning just to make sure I've got it all. But it's totally worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]