New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Binks (new?) Rise of the Runelords!

As the wounded Brynlieagh takes Jason by the arm to the side, the medic let's a look of concern cross his face, thinking that her injuries were worse than expected. As she starts to correct him, instincts take over, putting himself at parade rest, back straighten, feet apart, and the crossbow pointing low and away from both.

**'Of all the things to get mad about right now...'**

Jason stays silent as he gets reprimanded by the half-elf, doing his best to keep his simmering thoughts under control. Once she was done, Jason was mulling over his words when turns and leaves him.

As Brynlieagh offers her report, Jason breaks out his healer's kit close by, knowing his role in the group. Letting her finish, Jason pulls out a minor healing extract and holds it out for her.

Spoiler: If Brynlieagh reaches for the vial
    Show
    As she reaches for the vial, Jason lifts it a second and looks at her, speaking in a low tone so that the others couldn't hear.

"If we are going to be formal, then the name is either Medic Loenar or Doc Loenar, Ma'am," Jason says as he lowers the extract into her hands. "Only my family, friends, and close comrades get to call me anything else, including late for dinner."

As Brynlieagh drinks the extract, Jason administers to her cuts and bruises. "I am the team's medic and healer. As long as I am here and in that position, I will do my best to keep you and everyone in peak condition. I need you to trust me to do my work to the best of my ability, just as I have to trust you, your companions, and our comrades to do the best we can. If we can't do that, then situation will be a hundred times harder."

"I follow the concept of 'praise in public, criticize in private'. If I do something wrong that is personal but not a illegal or harmful, then I would appreciate it if we kept it in the group. If not, that will cause trouble and harm in the long run."

"As such, Brynlieagh, I apologize for not using your full name. I didn't know that was an insult to you and I apologize for the ignorance on my part. I will do my best to use your full name. I ask that you forgive me and let me learn from the error in my manners. Do you forgive me?"
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

2. A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.
    3. An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.
    27. Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Brynlieagh accepts the vial with a smile and listens to the young medic closely.

Spoiler: Further response, quietly
    Show
    "Formal? I guess so...Anyone who heals Lyssmi, Lenore, or me is a friend in my mind, but if I haven't earned your friendship yet I understand. Was what I said too loud? I tried to pull you aside...Yesterday I had to remind Klimvell - he's not familiar with arcane power, you see - but you and I don't know each other as well, so I though I should tell you off to the side. I certainly forgive you, I mean, you didn't know, right?" Brynlieagh says in a rushing stream-of-consciousness statement. She looks mostly confused by the formal, military approach Jason took, but too direct and unsocialized to either understand or avoid making another faux pas as she answers his question.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

After sheathing his sword, Tobias picks up the discarded Robe of Bones and turns it over thoughtfully, examining where the patches have been removed. "If this robe was the source of the skeletons then our adversary may not be a necromancer per se, but rather one of their minions, or someone with connections to one..." He straightens up and looks around. "I never was much of an outdoorsman... if the beast- err, Lyssmi - can follow a scent that might be our best option. What's important is that we pick up the trail soon before it - hey, what are you two whispering about?" He arches an eyebrow at Jason and Brynlieagh, noticing their private conversation off to the side.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2022-11-29 at 03:56 PM.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

4. - Top - End - #184

Spoiler: Jason's Heal Check and Cure Extract, along with a Skill Check
    Show

Extract of Cure Light Wounds (1d8+2)[5]
    Heal Check (1d20+8)[9] to Long Term Care, One use of the Healer's Kit expended
    Knowledge (Arcana) Check (1d20+10)[13] for Brynlieagh's past and Arcane comments
    Knowledge (Arcana) Check (1d20+10)[16] for the Robe of Bones

Nodding and smiling at Brynlieagh's response, Jason looks up from his work when Tobias asks what they were doing.

"Just helping to heal Brynlieagh's injuries, Tobias," Jason says, smiling in the fighter's direction. "I wanted to make sure she didn't have any other injuries from the undead."

Turning back to Brynlieagh, Jason nods at the half elf. "As far as I can tell, you won't suffer lasting damage. Just take it easy for the rest of the day and you should be fine."

Leaning down to pack his gear up, Jason talks low to Brynlieagh...

Spoiler: Brynlieagh's Ears Only
    Show

Thank you for the forgiveness. I will do my best to remember to use your full name."

Finished with stowing his gear, Jason stands up and looks at the group. "Ok, let's check this place out. We have tracks with a possible human or elf leading a bunch of goblins. A magic robe that has been expended in this expedition. Said robe is the source of multiple undead. The remains of the previous head priest has been stolen."

Frowning at the possibilities, Jason looks at the group, then at the Sheriff. "Sir, is Father Zantus nearby? I would like his perspective. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is all connected."
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Klim has little difficulty scrounging a few other details about the tracks.

The medium creature wore leather boots. Can't tell gender, but they certainly weren't heavily armored. He came in over the 8' stone wall to the north of the crypt, as did most of the Goblins (barefoot) with him.

In addition, and interesting detail about the Robe of Bones is that the produced creatures are not summoned by the wearer, potentially significantly limiting the garment's usefulness.

The sheriff leans back out the doorway, and glances towards the cathedral. "Aye, he's watchin '. Wringin' his hands like a frightened stool pigeon."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"Sorry, I just slash things. And poison them. Skeletons aren't my ballywick, and, unfortunately, much sight doesn't work that way. At least not the cheap kind I can do."
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Klimvell Mikoye, human hunter

The battle was over before Klim could unleash an arrow. Probably for the best - he didn’t think an arrow would hurt walking bones very much. Putting away his bow, Klim moved to check the tracks again. When the healer asked him several questions, he turned to answer the but paused at the question about gender.

"Uh … Ah’m not th’best tracker in these parts - that’d be Ol’ Hurlan out near Whisperwood. But even he ain’t good enuff t’tell ya boy or girl based on foot prints. But they ain’t too heavy-set, ain’t likely wearin’ armor, and ain’t goblin. They came o’er th’wall yonder. Real question is, kin Lyssmi ‘n me track them boots?”

Heading to the wall, Klim inhaled deeply near where the figures came over the wall. Hopefully he could distinguish between the sweaty goblins and whoever was with them. From their they might be able to follow the trail.

OOC: Any chance scent works for this? Maybe Klim and Lyssmi could help each other …

Effects/Conditions: aspect of the falcon (+3 per [comp], +1 ranged attacks [comp], increased crit values)

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC: 17 (18) HPs: 15 CMB/D: +2/16 Init: +4 (+5)
    F +4 R +7 (+8) W +2 Move: 30’
    Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    0 (Unl) create water, detect magic, guide nce, mending, light
    1 - summon nature's ally I, gravity bow, aspect of the falcon, entangle

Perception +7; Handle Animal +6; Stealth +9; Survival +7; Heal +7; Nature +4; Geography +4; Climb +5; Swim +5; Sense Motive +2
    Animal Focus 0/2 min
    - Klim: Tiger (+2 Dex) and Wolf (gain scent)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2022-12-07 at 10:59 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

8. - Top - End - #188

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "I never was much of an outdoorsman... if the beast- err, Lyssmi - can follow a scent that might be our best option. What's important is that we pick up the trail soon before it - hey, what are you two whispering about?"
    Brynlieagh grins and waits for Jason to finish his answer. "Lyssmi is a cat, Sir Knight. Can't you tell?" she says as she scratches underneath the massive feline's chin, eliciting a purr/growl from her companion. "And she can."

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    "Aye, he's watchin '. Wringin' his hands like a frightened stool pigeon."
    With a sad expression Brynlieagh looks to where Father Zantus is standing. "I like him - he's healed us before," she mutters to Lyssmi sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    Heading to the wall, Klim inhaled deeply near where the figures came over the wall. Hopefully he could distinguish between the sweaty goblins and whoever was with them. From their they might be able to follow the trail.
    "Lyssmi, seek," commands Brynlieagh, pointing to the largest tracks and pushing her companion to track the large humanoid leader using her scent ability.

9. - Top - End - #189

Following the Sheriff's look, Jason raises his right hand, trying to wave the head priest towards the Crypt. "Sir, these events are tied together and I am afraid that the peace the Sandpoint has experienced is about to end."

Quote Originally Posted by Feathersnow View Post
    "Sorry, I just slash things. And poison them. Skeletons aren't my ballywick, and, unfortunately, much sight doesn't work that way. At least not the cheap kind I can do."
    Hearing the Half-Orc speak, Jason smile and her direction. "Don't let this experience sour you, Snesk. You will have plenty of opportunity to show yourself. And don't sell yourself short. Arcane mastery is a skill and talent that requires time and experience to fully explore. Chances are, you can acquaint the person that was leading the goblin party with your abilities soon enough. I would also say that this encounter might be a taste of what to come."

The battle was over before Klim could unleash an arrow. Probably for the best - he didn’t think an arrow would hurt walking bones very much. Putting away his bow, Klim moved to check the tracks again. When the healer asked him several questions, he turned to answer the but paused at the question about gender.

"Uh … Ah’m not th’best tracker in these parts - that’d be Ol’ Hurlan out near Whisperwood. But even he ain’t good enuff t’tell ya boy or girl based on foot prints. But they ain’t too heavy-set, ain’t likely wearin’ armor, and ain’t goblin. They came o’er th’wall yonder. Real question is, kin Lyssmi ‘n me track them boots?”

[i]OOC: Any chance scent works for this? Maybe Klim and Alyssa I could help each other …
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    Brynlieagh grins and waits for Jason to finish his answer. "Lyssmi is a cat, Sir Knight. Can't you tell?" she says as she scratches underneath the massive feline's chin, eliciting a purr/growl from her companion. "And she can."

With a sad expression Brynlieagh looks to where Father Zantus is standing. "I like him - he's healed us before," she mutters to Lyssmi sadly.

"Lyssmi, seek," commands Brynlieagh, pointing to the largest tracks and pushing her companion to track the large humanoid leader using her scent ability.
    Hearing Klim and Brynlieagh talking about the tracks, Jason nods. The fact we got tracks is helpful. But a day's headstart and who knows how many goblins between us and the thieves isn't a good plan.

Hearing Brynlieagh guiding her companion, Jason snaps out of his thoughts. "Klim, Brynlieagh, Lyssmi, be careful in tracking these. I recommend going as far as the woods and no further. We have no idea if the opposition has left a rear guard behind. In the meantime, I will get the wagon ready for transporting us. We are about to stir up a hornet's nest."

Turning back to the Sheriff, Jason mulls over his next question. Putting himself at a modified parade rest, Jason clears his throat before continuing. "Sir, is there any way to conduct a search of the buildings here in Sandpoint? I understand that under normal circumstances that would be ill advised without a warrant. However, these are not normal circumstances. This raid and operation could mean surprises for anyone who might not be paying attention."

As he let's the request hang, Jason looks back at the group of his newly acquainted comrades. "In addition, sir, I would like to have a senior level meeting. You, Father Zantus, the Mayor, Council, and any important individuals need briefed on what is going on. Between the raid and this operation, someone intended to cause harm and disruption here. I have the feeling there is a storm coming, and that the peace that Sandpoint has experienced might be coming to an end. Given the ease and "professionalism" by which this was conducted, whoever is leading the goblins might have inside help here in Sandpoint."

Taking a glance at the rest of the group, Jason continues. "I can only speak for myself, but I would like to offer my services." Looking over his shoulder, Jason addresses the rest of the group. "What do you all think? Anyone else up to volunteer for a potential crisis?"

Favorite Merc Maxims

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Snesk seems noticeably encouraged! "Always eager to help!"
    GNU Terry Pratchett

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tobias shrugs. "I'm bound by the knight's code to render aid where it is needed. So long as the threat remains unchecked, Sandpoint has my service." He falls silent, giving the sheriff time to respond to Jason's questions.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Klim snorted as Jason continued to talk, giving directions. He rolled his eyes at Lyssmi, but whether the cat understood or not was anyone's guess. It did have a tendency of peering at you unnatural-like ...

When Jason spoke of offering services, he glanced back at the man with a frown. "Isn't that what we're doin' already? Ah live round these parts, mista. Ah don't need t'offer m'services ... they's already dun given. Now quiet down so's we kin hunt ... ”

Klim continued to seek the trail ...

OOC: Whaddya need from me?

Effects/Conditions: aspect of the falcon (+3 per [comp], +1 ranged attacks [comp], increased crit values)

Show
    AC: 17 (18) HPs: 15 CMB/D: +2/16 Init: +4 (+5)
    F +4 R +7 (+8) W +2 Move: 30’
    Show
    0 (Unl) create water, detect magic, guidance, mending, light

Perception +7; Handle Animal +6; Stealth +9; Survival +7; Heal +7; Nature +4; Geography +4; Climb +5; Swim +5; Sense Motive +2
    Animal Focus 0/2 min
    - Klim: Tiger (+2 Dex) and Wolf (gain scent)

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Klim and Lyssmi pore over the tracks and the portion of wall they stem from, struggling to find much of a scent. After a time, they manage enough that they think they could follow it- perhaps more importantly, they're confident they would recognize it if they encountered that scent again. There's something that makes it not quite just "Goblins," but neither of them are familiar enough with the unusual part to identify the subject by smell (and boot-prints) alone.

Brynlieagh scrambles up the wall, and with each other's aid, Lyssmi and Klim follow suit without too much difficulty. Straddling (or perched atop, in Lyssmi's case) the wall, you realize the boneyard indeed serves as the north-eastern border of Sandpoint. Only a dozen paces beyond the wall, the tracks pass from clear ground into a relatively sparse woods that flanks the Lost Coast road leading East-north-easterly.

Meanwhile, Jason makes a few requests of the sheriff, who for his part nods listening carefully. "As for inspecting the buildings, it's not a matter of propriety. Any reasonable search would be a gross affront to the citizenry, and even more important, I don't have the manpower for it. It'd take weeks even if I took every guard off the gates. The people will just have to be careful for a while. Even Goblins have to eat- any stragglers can't possibly stay hidden more than a day or two."

"As for informing the mayor, I will of course tell her of our findings here. She and I will discuss who needs to know, and do what we can about seeing to everyone's safety. In the meanwhile, I'd like to thank you all for seeing to this little slice of fiasco we've found. I have to insist that you keep these details to yourselves, for now. It won't do at all for the citizens to get all worked up over something they aren't prepared to handle..." He frowns, deep in thought, for several moments. "Gods above, this is gonna get nasty before it gets any better," he groans.

Turning to Brynlieagh, he calls, "You all see anything noteworthy up there? I'm gonna go talk with Zantus."

Back to Jason, he adds with both a smile and nod, "You don't know how much I appreciate that, Master Loenar. Gods know we can use all the help we can get."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Klim knew enough not to answer for Brynlieagh, and it seemed like an easy enough way to avoid dealing with the others for a bit. Nodding to the short woman, he murmured, "Ah'ma check th'trail fer a bit. Ah'll meet ya back at th'church ... or the Dragon.”

Klim slipped down the wall and dropped to the ground with a slight grunt. With a moment's concentration, his feline look fading as he continued to keep the avian bent, his eyes looking like those of a raptor. Satisfied, he continued to track, figuring enough weather hadn't happened to remove the nastiness of goblin+ scents.

OOC: Survival - (1d20+7)[23], Perception - (1d20+11)[20] and using scent to follow for a ways

Effects/Conditions: Animal focuses ...

Show
    AC: 17 HPs: 15 CMB/D: +2/16 Init: +4
    F +4 R +7 W +2 Move: 30’
    Show

Perception +7 (+11); Handle Animal +6; Stealth +9; Survival +7; Heal +7; Nature +4; Geography +4; Climb +5; Swim +5; Sense Motive +2
    Animal Focus 0/2 min
    - Klim: Falcon (+4 Per) and Wolf (gain scent)

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Snesk follows behind, in case the trackers are ambushed. She poisons her blade and casts abjurations against this likelihood.

"I got your back, lead on"
    GNU Terry Pratchett

16. - Top - End - #196

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Turning to Brynlieagh, he calls, "You all see anything noteworthy up there? I'm gonna go talk with Zantus."
    Brynlieagh turns from her perch atop the stone wall and says, "Tracks, leading into the woods. We could try to track them, but in the woods it's easy to lose a trail, especially if they're trying," answers Brynlieagh. "Do you want us to go? Or do you have other plans?" she asks the sheriff with a manic smile.

"Ah'ma check th'trail fer a bit. Ah'll meet ya back at th'church ... or the Dragon.”
    With a suddenly serious look at Klim the little elfin woman nods. "Be careful - and don't go alone. Lyssmi, guard," she commands the large feline, directing her attention to Klim. "Both of you better come back safely, Klimvell. Am I clear?" she asks, more or less demanding an affirmative answer. "It's been tough for you, but you aren't to go off and get yourself killed in a reckless revenge run..."

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Klim almost ignored the young woman then paused, sensing the urgency in her voice. Glancing back, he nodded. "Ah ain’t plannin’ on dyin’ t’day. Can’t say th’same fer them gits”

OOC: Just tracking

Show
    Show

Perception +7 (+11); Handle Animal +6; Stealth +9; Survival +7; Heal +7; Nature +4; Geography +4; Climb +5; Swim +5; Sense Motive +2
    Animal Focus 0/2 min
    - Klim: Falcon (+4 Per) and Wolf (gain scent)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2022-12-12 at 12:54 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

It takes only a few moments for Klimvell to make some solid conclusions. First, it's much easier to track the group of Goblins in the woods, though its much harder to be sure how many there were in the party. Second, though they left plenty of disturbed flora and no small amount of footprints in the loamy surface under the trees, the scent of Goblins... and something else has dispersed pretty significantly.

Finally, the amount of broken branches and crushed underbrush clearly suggests the group was moving quickly. It's unlikely that Klim will find them today, unless he presses on hard, and they slowed down.

19. - Top - End - #199

NecromancerGuy

From atop the wall Brynlieagh watches her closest friend and a newly-closer-friend prowl about the edge of the woods and read the signs in the goblin-trail. Her expression is somewhat neutral, though there is some concern visible too. As the other PCs return to discuss more with the Sheriff and Father Zantus she stays where she is, content to wait for Lyssmi to escort Klim back to the rest of the group...

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Klim lost the scent almost immediately, frowning as it was lost amidst the standard odors of the forest. However, the trail itself was still clear and made it easy to follow, even if the group was moving a little too fast for him to keep up with. He considered turning back, wishing Ulfar was here to help him track. But at the thought of the dog, tears came to his eyes unbidden as he glanced at Lyssmi. Wiping the tears away, Klim clenched his jaws and nodded in the direction of the tracks. "Le's keep goin'g, gurl ... Ah ... Ah can't go back jus' yet. Ah'm not feelin' very soshable right now.”

With that, Klim continued to follow the tracks, checking to see if any of them split off.

OOC: Not to get to far ahead of the group, but this is more from the RP piece than anything. He'll continue for another 30 to 40 min, taking 10 to track (Survival 17. He's hoping to get an idea of where the group was headed ... or if any of the tracks split off (like the humanoid). He'll head back afterwards, unless someone comes to find him earlier (thinking Lenore might)

And Perception - (1d20+11)[23] in case something comes up.

Show
    Show

Animal Focus 0/2 min
    - Klim: Falcon (+4 Per) and Wolf (gain scent 10')

21. - Top - End - #201

NecromancerGuy

Lyssmi stares briefly at Klimvell, not comprehending the man nor seeming to mind. With unknowable feline patience she waits for him to begin tracking again and sticks close beside, guarding him and sniffing at the ground every so often, as if curious but unconcerned. If she ever gets a hint that they are about to get into danger, though, she will stop and ensure Klim does too...

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Snesk watches the interplay with vague comprehension, trying to stay alert to threats that obviously left hours ago.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Klim doesn't exactly hurry, but neither is he eager to talk with Father Zantus after the night he's had. With Snesk and Lyssmi close at hand, he prowls into the forest, paying keen attention to the abundant signs of passage left by his quarry. for several minutes, he strides purposefully into the thickening underbrush, piecing together more details as he goes. First, the Goblin scent becomes less noteworthy, but the other one (certainly humanoid, though he's not sure more than that) continues stronger. It seems the Goblins came with someone to Sandpoint, but the someone left alone, as the Goblins no doubt doubled back to join the rest of their kind in general mayhem. The someone alone seems to have followed the same tracks, but made good time. Twenty minutes away from Sandpoint, there's no sign of him or her, and nothing to suggest they stopped anytime soon.

Meanwhile Jason and Tobias spearhead the company reporting to Zantus. The middle-aged priest is visibly worried, keenly aware that no one with good intent would steal a priest's bones. "We'll have to find him, though I don't know how..." he mutters, unhappily. At Jason's request for holy water, the man lights up a little. "That, I can help you with," he chimes. With a word, he sends an acolyte to fetch some. A few moments later, she returns with a pair of bottles. "We can make more," she explains, "but we'll need quite a bit more powdered silver. I'm afraid we'll have to buy it to prepare any more vials."

"Loenar's got the right of it," Sheriff Hemlock grunts. "We'll have to tell the mayor immediately. Doubt it's worth going door to door, but we'll discuss the details and decide how to move forward..." He looks up to Brynlieagh on the wall, and gleans whatever meaning he plans to from her body language and expression. "Let's go."

At city hall, a pair of guards nod greetings to Hemlock, and take his presence as authorization for your presence. They step aside, after rapping sternly on the door. You're greeted by a young woman, pre-or-early teenage, apparently working as the mayor's assistant. "Right this way, sheriff." She nods awkwardly to the rest of you, obviously unsure precisely how she should behave but keen enough to take the sheriff's lead. "Madam Deverin? Sheriff Hemlock to see you. With guests." As you file into her waiting room, you hear the mayor whisper, and the girl hurriedly rushes from the room.

There aren't quite enough seats for the group (and Tobias' armor would make it awkward at best) in the mayor's sitting room. As her helper returns with a tray of short wooden cups, she greets you a bit sternly. "Any useful developments Hemlock?" she insists before raising a hand in apology. "It's been a month's worth of trial in less than a day's time." She sighs deeply. "We were supposed to be celebrating," she groans. "Please tell me you have some sort of explanation, friends."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Klim cursed under his breath as he realized the goblins had returned to the town, while the taller humanoid continued on for a bit, then the trail went cold. Frowning, the hunter cast around, trying to find any signs of a footprint or broken branch to regain the trail, but nothing stood out. After casting about for a bit, he finally turned back towards the town, acknowledging Snesk with reluctant acceptance as he forged a return path to Sandpoint. "Can't find 'em ... guess we join th'others back'n town.”

OOC: Headed back in, I spose ...

Show
    Show

Animal Focus 0/2 min
    - Klim: Falcon (+4 Per) and Wolf (gain scent 10')

25. - Top - End - #205

Spoiler: Meeting with Father Zantus
    Show

Hearing the concern from Father Zantus, Jason nods. "Sir, if the Team is going in against such a force, then we will need some counters. May we get a dozen a vials of Holy Water? I want the team as well as your flock ready for whatever trouble comes bubbling up."

Entering city hall, Jason nods at the assistant, then looks to the gnome. "You can have a seat, sir," Jason says, gesturing to a seat. Gently, Jason removes the bolt from the crossbow and rides the crossbow string forward. Better to be careful. Some people don't like armed strangers in their presence.

Hearing the Mayor's statement and tension, Jason takes a moment to glance at the Sheriff. Getting a nod from the local lawman, Jason looks back at the Mayor and steps forward, back straight. "Mayor Deverin, Jason Loenar, Andoran Expeditionary Medic. I am believe the situation went from bad to worse. Someone in league with the Goblins had used the chaos yesterday to steal the remains of Father Ezakian Tobyn. Limited vandalism to the other graves and crypt, but the fact the op was stealthy, quick, and precise suggests a bigger situation."

Stealing a glance at the Sheriff once more, Jason takes a deep breath. "Between yesterday and the most recent development, three things can be speculated. The first, whoever stole the remains had intimate of Sandpoint. The second is that whoever planned this has enough presence to and force of will to convince the Goblins. The third, is that whoever did this had access to some powerful backers. The question of it being one person or a group has yet to be answered."

Letting the information sink in, Jason glances at Tobias and the gnome. Hopefully this can be enough to get a search done.

Looking back at the mayor, Jason clears his throat. "I have a proposal, that under normal circumstances wouldn't be considered. Being that we have an imminent threat and evidence of trouble, I would feel it would be irresponsible to not bring it up now. Would you like me to elaborate?"

Spoiler: If Jason is Allowed to Elaborate
    Show

"The proposal is that we search the various buildings here in Sandpoint to ensure that no surprise trouble is here. Sheriff Hemlock had mentioned there might be difficulty in conducting an operation, but I believe that can be mitigated.

"All that would be needed is you, Sheriff Hemlock, and a number of guards and local hunters with animal companions. I believe it should be no more than a one guard and one hunter/animal handler, with up to six teams by my best guess.

"The operation would be conducted with you and Sheriff Hemlock going by each place to get the permission to conduct a non-judicial search. We get permission from the residents to conduct the search. Denial means we apologize for the inconvenience and move on. Permission granted would bring a two man team into the building. Short of a crime against life, the idea is that the animal handler goes in with a tracking animal do a quick search. The guard is there to observe and be reinforcement. If there is no trouble, we move on.

"This operation would be dependent on the permission granted by residents. Anyone that doesn't give us permission will have until the end of the operation to change their minds. After that, I can safely said we did our due diligence should any problems occur.

"Frankly, I hope that I am being paranoid and that I am giving too much credit to whoever is guiding the goblins. That being said, I would rather admit to being paranoid and wrong than paranoid and right."

Favorite Merc Maxims

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tobias stands at relaxed attention during the debrief, only chiming in to add, "Medic Loenar has the right of it, Madam - the goblins had help. From someone on foot, which means they likely didn't travel far. What other settlements are nearby? Can you think of any persons or factions that might hold a grudge against Sandpoint, even to the point of allying with goblinoids?"
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sarone View Post
    "Would you like me to elaborate?"
    The mayor takes a deep breath before answering, silently poring over what you've already said. As the silence drags on, the young woman returns, with a tray heavily laden with small wooden cups and a simple glass carafe of cool water. Eagerly, Mayor Deverin retrieves a cup. She raises it with a simple nod of thanks before drinking deeply. "Yes, of course. I'm sorry. Please continue."

Quote Originally Posted by Sarone View Post
    "The proposal is that we search the various buildings here in Sandpoint to ensure that no surprise trouble is here. Sheriff Hemlock had mentioned there might be difficulty in conducting an operation, but I believe that can be mitigated.

"All that would be needed is you, Sheriff Hemlock, and a number of guards and local hunters with animal companions. I believe it should be no more than a one guard and one hunter/animal handler, with up to six teams by my best guess.

"The operation would be conducted with you and Sheriff Hemlock going by each place to get the permission to conduct a non-judicial search. We get permission from the residents to conduct the search. Denial means we apologize for the inconvenience and move on. Permission granted would bring a two man team into the building. Short of a crime against life, the idea is that the animal handler goes in with a tracking animal do a quick search. The guard is there to observe and be reinforcement. If there is no trouble, we move on.

"This operation would be dependent on the permission granted by residents. Anyone that doesn't give us permission will have until the end of the operation to change their minds. After that, I can safely said we did our due diligence should any problems occur.

"Frankly, I hope that I am being paranoid and that I am giving too much credit to whoever is guiding the goblins. That being said, I would rather admit to being paranoid and wrong than paranoid and right."
    As you speak, Deverin and Hemlock share more than a few glances that speak volumes of both her concern and the weight his opinion carries. "Any other context, I'd call it madness, but it might actually allay some concerns to show the people a serious response...." She turns to a small, unshuttered window, from which she can see several roofs with the cathedral facade poking up in the distance. She breathes again, heavily.

"You have my blessing," she finally answers, still looking away. As she turns back ,you can tell she's fighting back tears. "Do you need more than that? Loenar? Hemlock?"

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Snesk nods at Klimveil. "I suppose we had best, if this isn't going to pay off. It was worth a try!" She adds, encouragingly.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

29. - Top - End - #209

NecromancerGuy

Before she turns to follow the others to see the Mayor, Brynlieagh sends Lenore to follow Klim, Snesk, and Lyssmi. “Stay close but don’t distract. Fly straight to me if they get in trouble,” she orders as she hops down off the stone wall and silently goes to see the town’s leadership…

Lenore squawks once in confirmation and hops out of her satchel to take to the air and circle slowly above the trackers.

In the Mayor’s office Brynlieagh stays in the back and keeps quiet, well aware that she’s been the subject of conversation in here, and not in a good way. She listens to the others speak up and looks a bit surprised at the ideas presented. After thinking about it she does say, “I won’t help with the searches - don’t want to scare anyone,” hoping that her statement will be received as a bit of an olive branch by the assembled lawful authorities in Sandpoint.

As the trackers finish Lenore sends the feeling of “relief” to her mistress as the odd quartet begin to make their way back to town.

30. - Top - End - #210

Letting a frown take to his face, Jason weighs the Mayor's response with a need to ensure unseen consequences don't turn up. What would my old mentors say in times like this...

Surprised by Brynlieagh's response, Jason raised an eyebrow. Pursing his lips, Jason mulls over the half elf's response, then looks at her.

"Brynlieagh," Jason starts as he turns to her, "I understand your desire to not scare people. I get that. But these times are more fearful with an organized Goblin raid. While I won't force anyone to do anything against their will or conscience, I would encourage doing what is right and proper." Letting his words hang, Jason looks to Tobias and Ip, then back at Brynlieagh. "I ask that you would reconsider, to help your home and neighbors from a bigger threat. One that is more than an inconvenience if left unchecked"

Taking a step forward, Jason takes a cup of water and holds it up to the others. "A mentor of mine once quoted an old book. 'Wish it need not have happened in my time', a character had said when presented with an impossible task. That character's mentor had a response: 'So do I, and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what do with the time that is given us.'"

Drinking the water, Jason sets the cup on the tray and refills the cup. Turning to the mayor and the sheriff, Jason lifts the cup to his waist. "Heavy lies the crown," Jason says as he looks at each of them. "I am ill experienced in this world, and I know that this 'Age of Lost Omens' has been spreading like wild fire. But the days of that age are coming to an end, that we have only our fates to challenge. This is the time to rise and face them."

Raising the cup, Jason looks at each person. "To the small deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. To small acts of kindness and love."

Letting the toast subside, Jason look to the Mayor. "I get there is hesitation I there anyone else we would need to get on board before we conduct the operation? Either the local council or heads of houses?"

Favorite Merc Maxims