New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Traps and puzzles help needed - beholder dungeon

I need a little help with one trap and one puzzle in my Beholder dungeon.

So, they’ve made their way through the buried temple that the beholder is claiming as it’s own. They are in the final approach now, and have reached a large room with a big carved eye in the center, with ten doors in the walls around the chamber.

They will need to go into each room, to retrieve an eyeball key that plugs into one of the ten depressions around the large eye in the big chamber. Once they’ve all been plugged in, the eye will open into a door that leads them down into the beholder’s treasury – and where the beholder is. Each room will have a trap, puzzle, or combat encounter that relates to one of the beholder’s eye rays.

Charm – the room is filled with various fine clothing for both men and women, jewelry, a pair of glasses, fine food, all kinds of creature comforts. Lounging on a divan in the center of the room is a beautiful person (a slave, but perhaps also a changeling). On the left wall of the chamber is a mural of a man imploring a woman who stands turned away from him, arms crossed and nose in the air. The wall to the right has a mural of the same two people, this time the man is wearing glasses, and they are embracing as lovers. The challenge is to charm the beautiful person with the glasses that are in the room. The glasses are magical – Eyes of Charming. Using any other item will cause a charm ray to shoot at the player character. They get the key from the person after they charm the person.

Paralyzing – A few Gazers and a Spectator emerge. The gazers only have use of one ray – paralyzing ray. The spectator is normal.

Telekinetic – The room has a large boulder against one wall, and many smaller rocks strewn around. High above on one wall is an alcove. An “eye” in the ceiling is randomly casting a telekinetic ray and moving things around – sometimes a creature if there’s one in the room. The goal is to use that ray to move the large boulder into the alcove, causing a secret door to open and reveal the eyeball key.

Sleep – This room is nothing but a huge bed, blankets, and pillows. The eye is either in the wall at the head of the bed or in the bed somewhere, I haven’t decided. If you touch the bed, make a Wisdom save or fall asleep.

Petrification - A few Gazers and a Spectator or Gauth emerge. The gazers only have use of one ray – petrification ray. The spectator or gauth is normal.

Disintegration – The hallway leading to this room and the room itself are filled with what looks like sand. In the sand is bits of bone, clothing, and jewelry (it is the sand of disintegrated people). The eyeball key is under the sand in the room. They have to make it there and find the key without stepping on a pressure plate, or they get hit with a disintegration ray. There is a tapestry on a wall of a pathway through a desert that shows the correct path to take.

Slow – A few Gazers and a Spectator or Gauth emerge. The gazers only have use of one ray – slow ray. The spectator or gauth is normal.

Fear – this room is actually faulty. The door is behind some kind of field and won’t open. One of the ten depressions around the big eye is cracked and kinda filled in. They don’t need to do anything with this door. This is because the beholder is missing this eye stalk.

So that leaves me with the Death ray and the Enervation ray rooms. I want one to be a trap and one to be a puzzle, but honestly I’m drawing a blank on traps or puzzles that have to do with those rays. Anyone have any ideas for me?

I wish i could post my picture of the dungeon map layout, it is built to look like a beholder lol.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Traps and puzzles help needed - beholder dungeon

Why not just a magic trap with enervation or a death spell?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Enervation could maybe be a test of stamina, where the party (rather than taking damage) needs to repeatedly make saving throws against some sort of stacking penalty (or have a smaller penalty replaced by a larger one) that lasts for the duration of the otherwise simple puzzle. Or perhaps the trap opens and these penalties accumulate as they figure out how to escape.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrinblade View Post
    Why not just a magic trap with enervation or a death spell?
    Or even just a regular trap that kills you
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2022-05-01 at 02:22 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)