New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Lower starting power levels - how low and pace of rebuild?

By default, FATE prefers a start with quite competent characters. I, however, prefer various levels of "Zero to Hero" or at least "Apprentice school" games where the characters start out with only a few tools, and build up from there with a more recognizable progression.

My last couple games have had decent longevity, so that's an issue too; I am sometimes wary of starting out competent as in some systems, that eventually becomes a bit of a Dragonball issue of games getting very high powered.

Now, I can do that by trimming back the starting skills/stunts/etc, but I have to wonder if anybody knows about how skilled the various build levels feel? How much of a build should a person being sucked into a situation, or someone just getting started (two distinctive skill levels) be? Does it matter much which variation?
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Lower starting power levels - how low and pace of rebuild?

Note that Skill levels are relative to the game being played. Great Spellcasting means different things not only in Harry Potter and Second Apocalypse, it means different things in Philosopher's Stone and Deathly Hallows. You can have increasing threat without having increasing numerical values just by deciding that the story has shifted enough that your baseline is higher.

Aspects are your friend here. A beginning villain might be Tough As Nails, but the Ancient Deadly Dragon God of Doom is Literally Invulnerable.

As to skill spreads, the Fate System Toolkit brings up a good point: breadth matters as much as depth. A character with 50% of the skill list can probably contribute in most situations, one with 30% is much less capable.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.