New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: Questionable Content XVIII: "That's only sort of good news"

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    Far as today's strip goes, this "meme rot" is absolutely a thing and it makes normal communication impossible sometimes. Like, I don't care what face some character from some sitcom made 20 years ago, I asked you a question, could you please answer it like a human being? That and just saying "mood" to everything like I'm supposed to parse what that means. Aurelia is excellent for not succumbing.
    If I could answer a question like a human being I would actually have a life and not live on the internet like some gremlin witch with a keyboard who's more comfortable moving 3D avatars around than she is taking a single photo of herself in decent lighting.

If you can't handle me at my "hyperfixating on replying to things with 10-second GIF loops of scenes from ancient cartoons before mentioning that I had a crush on some anime woman," you don't deserve me at my... uh... actually the same thing. It's Transformers trivia and anime nonsense all the way down. Occasionally I talk about ex-girlfriends.

That being said, I wish Aurelia was my mom.
    "But it always seemed weird to me to get mad about things going wrong, as if everything turning out OK was promised to anyone, ever. There wouldn't need to be paladins if the world was, like, fair." -Lien

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Howard Johnson Dame_Mechanus is right
    I get to be a favorite today!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Mechanus View Post
    If I could answer a question like a human being I would actually have a life and not live on the internet like some gremlin witch with a keyboard who's more comfortable moving 3D avatars around than she is taking a single photo of herself in decent lighting.

If you can't handle me at my "hyperfixating on replying to things with 10-second GIF loops of scenes from ancient cartoons before mentioning that I had a crush on some anime woman," you don't deserve me at my... uh... actually the same thing. It's Transformers trivia and anime nonsense all the way down. Occasionally I talk about ex-girlfriends.

That being said, I wish Aurelia was my mom.
    Screaming woman "Meme rot!" Sassy cat "pictographic communication!"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

*.gif of that little buck-toothed girl in a vehicle who's looking around confused*

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Screaming woman "Meme rot!" Sassy cat "pictographic communication!"
    Why not both?
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    A few pages ago she was taller than Marigold, so I THINK whats happening here is that she's hunched over a little bit to look Marigold in the eye. Or Marigold found a box.
    Today she definitely appears shorter than Marigold, although I suppose she could be standing back farther than I realize like some sort of Lord of the Rings-style forced perspective trick.

I do agree the age of the characters seems to be shifting Simpsons-style; Marigold is now comfortable with Zoomer slang despite presumably also being in her early/mid-twenties back in 2006 or so.

I'm actually enjoying this arc so far despite the nitpicking. As long as we stay away from the logistics of how these two are actually wildly successful streamers, their interactions are fun to watch.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I like it when Marigold gets to be the Straight Man of the scene. It's fun when she's like: "I'm a barely-reformed basement dwelling, nigh-terminal internet addict, but even I know that this is weird".
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I have a feeling when Marigold returns home, Dale and May have been busy coming up with like the perfect strategy to prepare Marigold for her meeting because she was somewhat freaking out before, and she'll just go "Oh that? Don't worry, I ran into her at the coffeeshop and we talked the whole time. She's really cool and has a dog"

8. - Top - End - #248
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    I have a feeling when Marigold returns home, Dale and May have been busy coming up with like the perfect strategy to prepare Marigold for her meeting because she was somewhat freaking out before, and she'll just go "Oh that? Don't worry, I ran into her at the coffeeshop and we talked the whole time. She's really cool and has a dog"
    Instead it turned out she texted Dale pretty early on so they wouldn't worry. Marigold is more capable than a lot of people (including Marigold) give her credit for.
    "But it always seemed weird to me to get mad about things going wrong, as if everything turning out OK was promised to anyone, ever. There wouldn't need to be paladins if the world was, like, fair." -Lien

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, that doesn't sound fun for anybody.

10. - Top - End - #250

Mom voice is different from dommy mommy voice, so I understand the issue.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Mechanus View Post
    Instead it turned out she texted Dale pretty early on so they wouldn't worry. Marigold is more capable than a lot of people (including Marigold) give her credit for.
    Yes I stand corrected. Also it was less a dig at Marigold and more at Dale and May being unnecessarily worried.

However why does Aurelia now think Dale owes Marigold an apology? He just said that he would rather not meet Aurelia in person, for a pretty valid reason if you ask me, and then May started teasing him about it and he got defensive.

12. - Top - End - #252

MindFlayer

However why does Aurelia now think Dale owes Marigold an apology?
    Probably for the incident with the fluid up Marigold's nose.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

However why does Aurelia now think Dale owes Marigold an apology? He just said that he would rather not meet Aurelia in person, for a pretty valid reason if you ask me, and then May started teasing him about it and he got defensive.
    The implication of Aurelia last strip discussing making her paramour lose turgor and then Marigold discuss something going up her nose is that this was Dale's... emissions. Mind you, bedroom activity calamities aren't really one or the other participant's fault, but you tend to still say sorry when you do the thing that causes your partner discomfort (and for all we know, Dale did, but Aurelia doesn't either, something that would get straightened out with Marigold's next statement were there not this interruption with the actual plot of the day).

Re: May -- May was in the wrong there. May is coded as being crass and insensitive. We've seen her slowly mellow in that behavior, but I don't think she's supposed to be becoming a toothless crass individual (Pintsize seems to be capturing that role, for the time being).

14. - Top - End - #254

Griffon

I read that as harmless teasing, on Aurelia's part. They were JUST through hearing an anecdote about Marigold getting something up her nose, then the 'phone rang, so Aurelia's reaction being "Is that him? Better make sure he's sorry!" is a reasonable in-joke just between the two of them, while Dale can't actually hear her.

My only complaint - and its very, very minor - is that I don't feel like we've had enough build up for Marigold to be telling such sexual anecdotes to someone she met for the first time only 20 minutes ago. She's introverted, struggles to meet new people, and was red-faced embarrassed when she was at yoga and her closest, bestest friend just ripped a fart. Going from that to "Band Camp" stories with a near-stranger feels like I've missed a step or two where they actually became friends, or something?

15. - Top - End - #255

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I read that as harmless teasing, on Aurelia's part. They were JUST through hearing an anecdote about Marigold getting something up her nose, then the 'phone rang, so Aurelia's reaction being "Is that him? Better make sure he's sorry!" is a reasonable in-joke just between the two of them, while Dale can't actually hear her.

My only complaint - and its very, very minor - is that I don't feel like we've had enough build up for Marigold to be telling such sexual anecdotes to someone she met for the first time only 20 minutes ago. She's introverted, struggles to meet new people, and was red-faced embarrassed when she was at yoga and her closest, bestest friend just ripped a fart. Going from that to "Band Camp" stories with a near-stranger feels like I've missed a step or two where they actually became friends, or something?
    To be fair, mommy milker shared her story first. Its an odd social convention that when one side shares a story, you often share a similar one as well when possible. Normally it might be something like silly childhood adventures, funny workplace stories, but I suppose sexual experiences gone weird works as well.

16. - Top - End - #256

I haven't watched many Vtubers, and the ones I've seen typically just put a .png up if they have a co-host present. Aren't there practical concerns about Marigold not bringing her setup with her, or should we just assume that a QC gaming rig is advanced enough to just import her avatar and hope Aurelia has an extra mic?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I haven't watched many Vtubers, and the ones I've seen typically just put a .png up if they have a co-host present. Aren't there practical concerns about Marigold not bringing her setup with her, or should we just assume that a QC gaming rig is advanced enough to just import her avatar and hope Aurelia has an extra mic?
    If Aurelia's system could handle putting up animated avatars for both Clinton and Claire on basically a few minutes' notice, we should assume that this technology is advanced enough beyond real-world limitations that Marigold not having her rig is not a realistic and practical concern. In real life this would actually be a not only reasonable but pretty significant question, but again, in real life Aurelia wouldn't be able to give her children bespoke cow-themed models without prior notice.

Like, being able to custom-build an avatar or use one via procedural generation is a pretty big lift. Usually these avatars take a lot of time and effort to make.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Based on the struggles for my own Vtuber friends when they were getting set up, Marigold is the one who would have to struggle here. Typically if streamers do a collab they each still have their own streams up and just use a little image file to represent when the other is talking (if they even go that far), and streaming equipment frequently isnt very portable. Although I guess since they have actual AIs and such, having a laptop and webcam setup thats just as good as a proper 2-3 screen desktop tower isnt actually that far out of the realm of possibility.

Its probably an accident, but a V-tuber being able to just casually move their rig around with minimal issues is probably actually a logical consequence of the world they live in.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2022-07-20 at 11:29 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #259

Fair enough. I'd sorta forgotten about Claire and Clinton getting custom avatars at a moment's notice.

20. - Top - End - #260

Griffon

Marigold could have her avatar/streaming software saved to the Cloud. In theory, all she'd need to do is download them, install them onto Aurelia's computer, and run them through a separate webcam - or as Clinton did, through the camera in a 'phone. It might be a bit more janky than usual, but she's notoriously computer savvy so could probably sort it out.

I just had to make that up though, its not indicated by the story. Similarly, WHY she would have her "secret identity" saved online rather than locally where she could be confident of its security, is another question entirely. Or why she would feel safe about installing it on a stranger's machine.

Any way you look at it there's a lot being skipped to make this work "somehow", when we already had a perfectly good "we've discussed it in a call and will meet up later" premise that fell apart for no particular reason. It's like Jeph contrived this situation to make less sense than when it started out.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Marigold could have her avatar/streaming software saved to the Cloud. In theory, all she'd need to do is download them, install them onto Aurelia's computer, and run them through a separate webcam - or as Clinton did, through the camera in a 'phone. It might be a bit more janky than usual, but she's notoriously computer savvy so could probably sort it out.

I just had to make that up though, its not indicated by the story. Similarly, WHY she would have her "secret identity" saved online rather than locally where she could be confident of its security, is another question entirely. Or why she would feel safe about installing it on a stranger's machine.

Any way you look at it there's a lot being skipped to make this work "somehow", when we already had a perfectly good "we've discussed it in a call and will meet up later" premise that fell apart for no particular reason. It's like Jeph contrived this situation to make less sense than when it started out.
    At some level Marigold already has her identity saved online. Whatever streaming service she uses is linked to her finance management service, and they both definitely know her real identity in a way that could theoretically be linked to her vtuber by a hacker. Having a cloud backup of her data isn't that implausible.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2022-07-21 at 03:30 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm with Dale. This is everything I ever dreamed it could be.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

23. - Top - End - #263

I'm with Marigold on this one, why does Aurelia have that open? Also why does she have it in general? Also also, I vaguely recall Claire considering selling feet pics at some point, so that's an interesting connection. Also also also, is that fanart or a feature of her avatar, and also(x4) does this mean both Aurelia and Marigold have interactive avatars with collision physics if it's a feature? I have many questions, and I'm also (x5 combo) with May in that last panel. As a bonus 6th also, I'm a little surprised she didn't just go with hooves.

If nothing else, this is definitely an interesting strip.
    Last edited by Delicious Taffy; 2022-07-21 at 11:21 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

I'm with Marigold on this one, why does Aurelia have that open? Also why does she have it in general? Also also, I vaguely recall Claire considering selling feet pics at some point, so that's an interesting connection. Also also also, is that fanart or a feature of her avatar, and also(x4) does this mean both Aurelia and Marigold have interactive avatars with collision physics if it's a feature? I have many questions, and I'm also (x5 combo) with May in that last panel. As a bonus 6th also, I'm a little surprised she didn't just go with hooves.

If nothing else, this is definitely an interesting strip.
    It's definitely some fanart:
    a) different drawing style
    b) you can clearly see part of the video feed around the picture.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

25. - Top - End - #265

Griffon

The joke continues to be "Aurelia doesn't know what she's doing, somehow".

Even though she has managed to gather 50k+ subscribers...
    Even though she likely dropped anything between $800-$3000 on her vtuber avatar...
    Even though she has a setup that can handle a game, streaming software and two vtuber avatars at the same time (NOT a small accomplishment)...
    Even though she has actual mind-controlling mom-vibes and is fully aware of them...

...She doesn't know which hotkey starts the camera (that she already used for both Clinton and Claire's appearances).

I *liked* it when Aurelia was cool. She played bass, and had hot boytoys on call, and was laid back and clever despite both her kids being neurotic messes all the time. I don't understand why Jeph has to make her a dumbass at random intervals, and apparently contradicting the other things we know about her.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Even though she has managed to gather 50k+ subscribers...
    Even though she likely dropped anything between $800-$3000 on her vtuber avatar...
    Even though she has a setup that can handle a game, streaming software and two vtuber avatars at the same time (NOT a small accomplishment)...
    Even though she has actual mind-controlling mom-vibes and is fully aware of them...

...She doesn't know which hotkey starts the camera (that she already used for both Clinton and Claire's appearances).

I *liked* it when Aurelia was cool. She played bass, and had hot boytoys on call, and was laid back and clever despite both her kids being neurotic messes all the time. I don't understand why Jeph has to make her a dumbass at random intervals, and apparently contradicting the other things we know about her.
    I've known actual, real life professional streamers who will set up their hotkeys for something and then immediately fumble it up. Its really not that implausible.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

27. - Top - End - #267

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I've known actual, real life professional streamers who will set up their hotkeys for something and then immediately fumble it up. Its really not that implausible.
    If anything, making it part of her routine makes it more likely for her to fumble on occasion, especially if she's excited. I've also seen plenty of little flubs like this during streams. Well, not exactly like it, but y'know

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

She's had active extra characters on her stream all of twice before, and we already know she's been nervous about this whole encounter. This doesn't stike me as notably unrealistic. How many people over the past two-and-change years have been on Zoom/Teams/Dou calls when someone who was presenting alt-tabbed to the wrong window (hopefully not showing anything situationally inappropriate)? That said, maybe once again I'm just more tolerant of a comics-medium sitcom doing sitcom-normal things like people screwing up when it would be funny for them to do so (regardless of supposed talent).

29. - Top - End - #269
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I mean, it seems more like the joke is that Aurelia made a mistake in the heat of the moment and it was at least mildly embarrassing for her and Marigold, which is on brand for both of them. Aurelia is very smart and capable in a lot of ways, but she does get flustered and lose her composure depending on the circumstances, and when she hadn't even planned to meet Marigold yet (she went to CoD out of anxiety about same) it's totally plausible that she might make a minor mistake when trying to do something new.

She still seems cool to me. She still plays bass and has hot boytoys and is clever and all of that. She's just not a flawless superwoman, and the things which fluster or confuse her are consistent across her appearances and different from other members of the cast. I don't see this as contradicting anything about her, I see this as just a reminder that Aurelia is capable of accidentally hitting the wrong button.

30. - Top - End - #270

I'm beginning to think ol' Jephy-boy has some particular interests. Hey, it's his webcomic.

More seriously, there's definitely a dissonance in their vibes, but I've seen that work just fine before. Once they pick something to play/do, they'll probably settle into a dynamic pretty fast and build from there. Or they'll spend the entire stream faffing about and wind up not actually doing much, which will somehow wind up being immensely popular regardless. Collabs are funny that way.