New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Default Do the rules against advertising cover posting links to videos you made?

If a user had a YouTube channel and made a video pertaining to a forum topic, would making a post that linked to said video being against the rules/frowned upon? This of course assumes the video in question is on topic for the forum in question and doesn’t break forum rules. I know for profit advertising is banned outside of the member produced commercial content section so I was wondering where this falls because of add revenue.

And as a follow up question to cut through ambiguity I was working on making a YouTube channel that updates character options from past editions for 5E roughly in the style of Dungeon Dad’s Monster of the Week series. If the above would be allowed then would that be more appropriate for the homebrew forum or the general 5e forum?
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Do the rules against advertising cover posting links to videos you made?

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    If a user had a YouTube channel and made a video pertaining to a forum topic, would making a post that linked to said video being against the rules/frowned upon? This of course assumes the video in question is on topic for the forum in question and doesn’t break forum rules. I know for profit advertising is banned outside of the member produced commercial content section so I was wondering where this falls because of add revenue.

And as a follow up question to cut through ambiguity I was working on making a YouTube channel that updates character options from past editions for 5E roughly in the style of Dungeon Dad’s Monster of the Week series. If the above would be allowed then would that be more appropriate for the homebrew forum or the general 5e forum?
    I believe that the main thing is that whatever content is linked to has to be free.

So, even if you're making five cents off a YouTube video, the fact that it's free to watch for the viewer makes it okay to post.
    But, if you were to post something like...

I have a cool Patreon with lots of awesome D&D stuff!
    Check it here: [LINK]
    And you had to pay money to access content, that'd be a big no.

I would definitely wait for a mod to weigh in, though-I'm just a forum goer.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Do the rules against advertising cover posting links to videos you made?

I believe this is the relevant section of the forum rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Rules
    You may always advertise or link to works of art online, such as other webcomics, fiction sites, music sites, or anything else that generates original artistic content—even if that site also makes a profit off of that work. We don't want the rules against advertising to prevent people from discovering new creative works that they will love, and we don't want to penalize artists for trying to make a living off of their work. However, if a site only resells creative work and does not have any of that work available online, then it is primarily a commercial site and cannot be advertised here.
    https://forums.giantitp.com/announcement.php?a=1

If your content is directly relevant to the discussion, and completely free (even if it makes money from advertising), then it's ok to post a link as long as it doesn't break any other forum rules (including spam).

This is a discussion forum, where threads are about discussion, so it's not ok to create a thread to advertise the channel. However, if you create and successfully foster a discussion about the channel's topic, such as feedback on your videos or suggestions for the next videos, then you may be able to start and maintain a thread. If you end up struggling to keep it alive without double posting, then it's not a discussion thread.

You may also consider a link in your signature if the majority of the content is completely free and it is relevant to the forum.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I believe this is the relevant section of the forum rules.

https://forums.giantitp.com/announcement.php?a=1

If your content is directly relevant to the discussion, and completely free (even if it makes money from advertising), then it's ok to post a link as long as it doesn't break any other forum rules (including spam).

This is a discussion forum, where threads are about discussion, so it's not ok to create a thread to advertise the channel. However, if you create and successfully foster a discussion about the channel's topic, such as feedback on your videos or suggestions for the next videos, then you may be able to start and maintain a thread. If you end up struggling to keep it alive without double posting, then it's not a discussion thread.

You may also consider a link in your signature if the majority of the content is completely free and it is relevant to the forum.
    Thank you. That answered my question perfectly
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323