You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: The Book Thread

1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: The Book Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    You should go back a few pages, we had a lengthy discussion about the ending there. Your opinion?
    So, thinking about it some more, I think the ending fits quite well with the themes.

Spoiler: Ending and themes
    Show
    Namely that on an individual/small-scale level, people are generally compassionate, even good, but once you get to the institutional level that same compassion starts causing problems. When presented with the choice "You can save this person/child in front of you, and all it will cost you is some effort and maybe risk to yourself", most people will choose to help. The problem is once you reach the level of enclaves (and politics in general) that choice gets the addendum "and some risk to someone else you've never met and never will", and people will still choose to save the person in front of them, the person they actually care about. On an individual level, things can go right, people can be happy, but making institutional changes takes a lot more work.

So I think it makes sense that saving Orion just plain works, but changing the enclave system will be the work of a lifetime and may not be permanently possible at all.

Feel like I'm not explaining this as best I can, but those are my thoughts so far.

Spoiler: Plot twist
    Show
    I also really enjoyed the plot twist that El was destroying the enclaves after all, by destroying the maw-mouths. We had the most crucial information, the timeline, the entire time, but because we the readers get fed the information as discrete bits very separated in both time and context, I never once connected the dots. An extremely well foreshadowed twist that I nevertheless did not see coming at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Realism, the natural predator of D&D mechanics.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, that plot twist worked really well.
    "And now I see, with eyes serene,
    The very pulse of the machine."

3. - Top - End - #243
    Orc in the Playground

I caught on a bit before El did, but a plot twist that I see coming because the clues have been well-laid is always better than a plot twist that I didn't because it doesn't make any sense.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been listening to the audiobook of All of Us Villains by Amanda Foody and Christine Lynn Herman. It's YA fantasy, but so far it hasn't been too tropey, and I really like the premise.

The best way I can describe the setup is, it's the Holy Grail War from Fate/Stay Night, except instead of summoning servants the mages are fighting each other directly. And instead of being a secret battle for power, someone published a tell-all book and now the world is treating it like a reality show, with people speculating on who's going to win, paparazzi following the mages around before the start of the competition, and magic shops competing to sponsor the different contestants.

It's just getting to the part where the battle actually begins, so I'm excited to see how things turn out.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Boy and I are reading Magnus Chase: Sword of Summer together; I've got the ebook, he's got the audiobook. He loves the Aesir and Vanir, so getting him into this has been great.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I found out someone got the rights to make My Cousin Vinny novels continuing the stories of Vincent LaGuardia Gambini and Mona Lisa Vito. I got the audio book to listen to during my commute.

It is the single worst thing I've ever encountered. It is a masterpiece of crap, truly unparalleled and is only not immortalized among the worst schlock there is through its obscurity. I thought about making a let's read thread for it on the boards but it wouldnt be suitable due to my reactions of incredible rage and profuse swearing.

Y'all should check it out. It's atrocious.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #247
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    The Boy and I are reading Magnus Chase: Sword of Summer together; I've got the ebook, he's got the audiobook. He loves the Aesir and Vanir, so getting him into this has been great.
    How are the Magnus Chase books compared to the Percy Jackson novels?
    Last edited by Rynjin; Today at 11:34 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    How are the Magnus Chase books compared to the Percy Jackson novels?
    Not too far different, IMO, but it's been ten years since I read PJ.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Firbolg in the Playground

Just finished the complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, including the last two novels which I'd never really read properly before because they didn't grab my attention like the others the first time I read the series