New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Question 5th dimension; Sideways in time

Let's get this out of the way: I have no evidence. I have no qualifications. I have only an idea.

Anyways, onto my hypothesis. If we can see every side of a 2d object, and people have said 4d creatures would be able to see all sides of a 3d object, would a 5d creature be able to see all times? Because, the notion of "timelines" has been exploited for pop fiction, but if it's just another spatial dimension in some respects, wouldn't timelines be more like a gradient? As you move "sideways" in time, you wouldn't have different timelines, just things slowly changing as you move forward, backward, or sideways in time.

Is there anything like this yet? What do I have misconcieved?
    As the red day is dawning,
    And the lightning cracks the sky
    They'll raise their hands to the heavens above
    With resentment in their eyes

Note: if I ghost you on FFRP, you have my explicit permission to godmod me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: 5th dimension; Sideways in time

You are confusing different definitions of "dimension" I think.

The fourth dimension that can see all sides of a three-dimensional object is a theoretical fourth dimension of space, not time as in the fourth dimension of spacetime. So, under an assumption of purely spacial dimension, a being in the second dimension can see the entire length of a line, a being in the third dimension can see the entire surface of a plane and a being in the fourth dimension can see all sides of a cube. A being in the fifth dimension, presumably, can see the totality of a hypercube.

Purely mathematically, a "dimension" can really be pretty much anything. It's just an axis along which something can change. (Well, that's a very simplified way of putting it, but should be understandable).

Anyway, there are higher-dimensional theories in physics, often called hyperspaces. Spring theory, for example, postulates 10-dimensional spacetime. I think there's at least one theory of physics with four dimensional space plus one time dimension.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2022-05-02 at 10:34 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    You are confusing different definitions of "dimension" I think.

The fourth dimension that can see all sides of a three-dimensional object is a theoretical fourth dimension of space, not time as in the fourth dimension of spacetime. So, under an assumption of purely spacial dimension, a being in the second dimension can see the entire length of a line, a being in the third dimension can see the entire surface of a plane and a being in the fourth dimension can see all sides of a cube. A being in the fifth dimension, presumably, can see the totality of a hypercube.

Purely mathematically, a "dimension" can really be pretty much anything. It's just an axis along which something can change. (Well, that's a very simplified way of putting it, but should be understandable).

Anyway, there are higher-dimensional theories in physics, often called hyperspaces. Spring theory, for example, postulates 10-dimensional spacetime. I think there's at least one theory of physics with four dimensional space plus one time dimension.
    Ok, thanks. I'll look into that more.
    As the red day is dawning,
    And the lightning cracks the sky
    They'll raise their hands to the heavens above
    With resentment in their eyes

Note: if I ghost you on FFRP, you have my explicit permission to godmod me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Spring theory,
    Eh?
    Last edited by halfeye; 2022-05-02 at 10:44 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Eh?
    It's just that time of the year.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

It's my new theory. The tiny additional dimensions aren't just coiled up tightly, they are also under a lot of tension.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

It's my new theory. The tiny additional dimensions aren't just coiled up tightly, they are also under a lot of tension.
    I hope they are blooming, too.