New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Native American Pantheon and the Great Wheel

Are/were there any rules about which Realm each of the Native American deities lived on or did they all live on the Beastlands?

Using a combination of the deities alignment with those of the Outer Planes I have the following as a start:

Great Spirit - LG - Celestia (I'm thinking of making Great Spirit as an Overgod, like Ao, and so to me the best place to put him is Celestia)

Sun[1] - CN - Ysgard

Moon - LG - Arcadia or Bytopia

Earth - NG - Bytopia, Elysium, or Beastlands (and these are just the Outer Planes, I'm also considering either the Elemental Plane of Earth and/or the Prime Materialplane)

Wind - CN - Ysgard, Limbo, or Pandemonium/- CG - Beastlands, Arborea, or Ysgard (and these are just the Outer Planes, I'm also considering the Elemental Plane of Air)

Morning Star - LG - Arcadia, Celestia, or Bytopia

Fire - LE - Gehenna, Baator, or Archeron (and these are just the Outer Planes, I'm also considering the Elemental Plane of Fire)

Thunder - CG - Beastlands, Arborea, or Ysgard/- LG - Arcadia or Bytopia (and these are just the Outer Planes, I'm also considering the Elemental Plane of Air)

Raven - CG - Beastlands, Arborea, or Ysgard (and these are just the Outer Planes, I'm also considering the Prime Material Plane)

Coyote - CN - Ysgard or Limbo (and these are just the Outer Planes, I'm also considering the Prime Material Plane)

Snake - NG - Bytopia, Elysium, or Beastlands/- CG - Beastlands, Arborea, or Ysgard (and these are just the Outer Planes, I'm also considering the Prime Material Plane)

Red Lord - N - Outlands or Prime Material Plane

Winter - CE - Pandemonium, Abyss, or Carceri

War - NE - Carceri, Gray Wastes, Gehenna (Archeron sounds like a better Realm for a war spirit/god he has an alignment issue)

What do you think?

[1] From here down I'm only using the 'generic' names for each god.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Native American Pantheon and the Great Wheel

1e's D&DG assigned each of them planes... elemental planes and the Prime.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Where is that pantheon from, out of interest? I know a few articles here or there that statted out a few native American Gods, but none that created a whole generic pantheon.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

2E's Legends & Lore states:
    "Deities from the Indian pantheon are most commonly found in the Upper World and Lower World. These demiplanes are located in the Outer Planes, with direct access to the Happy Hunting Grounds where Indian deities spend much of their time. There are many gates connecting the Upper and Lower Worlds with that portion of the Prime Material Plane inhabited by the Indian tribes."
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

5. - Top - End - #5
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Where is that pantheon from, out of interest? I know a few articles here or there that statted out a few native American Gods, but none that created a whole generic pantheon.
    I suspect they just took a variety of stories from Anglo versions of Native folklore and did that. It's part of why the first two (in 1e's D&DGs) are Raven and Coyote... those stories are, IME, the best known.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I suspect they just took a variety of stories from Anglo versions of Native folklore and did that. It's part of why the first two (in 1e's D&DGs) are Raven and Coyote... those stories are, IME, the best known.
    Ah, I meant the D&D source, not the mythological source. But 1e D&DGs answers that, thanks.
    Resident Vancian Apologist