New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default I need spaceship names, please.

I'm stockpiling as many names as I can to offer a better lived-in feel for my game universe. I don't want all the ship names to sound like I, alone, came up with them. You fine folks all have varying mindsets so suggest away as long as it isn't explicit. I'm sticking to a PG-13 feel. Feel free to elaborate why a name is awesome and/or it's meaning and origin. I'll even take names for space stations if you've got them. Thank you.

Edit: I should mention that this setting has fantasy races and magic in addition to technology so a wider range of options open up in that sense.
    Last edited by FiddleForge; 2022-05-05 at 02:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: I need spaceship names, please.

Ships:

Starwind
    Starwing
    Solrunner
    Planet Vagrant
    Adastra

Space Stations:

Alpha Lem
    Chrono Prime
    Keppler Prime
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-05-05 at 02:35 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Here's a really big list of Royal Navy names:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...the_Royal_Navy
    I favor names like the Implacable, Indefatigable, Indomitable, Intrepid, Invincible, etc.
    The RN has apparently had over 13,000 ships in service, so you could mine this for a long time if you don't mind a British sound to the names.
    You could also run them through a translator program to get the same names in whatever RL (or fantasy like Klingon/Elvish) language you'd like.

Fantasy Name Generators has both a Ship and Spaceship version
    https://www.fantasynamegenerators.co...ship-names.php

You could also go with weapon names in various languages.
    Nahuatl: Atl-atl, macahuitl, cuahualoli, etc.
    Japanese: Katana, bo, naginata, etc.
    Chinese: Dao, chu-ko-nu, qiang, etc.
    Last edited by J-H; 2022-05-05 at 05:25 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post

I favor names like the Implacable, Indefatigable, Indomitable, Intrepid, Invincible, etc.
    The RN has apparently had over 13,000 ships in service, so you could mine this for a long time if you don't mind a British sound to the names.
    You could also run them through a translator program to get the same names in whatever RL (or fantasy like Klingon/Elvish) language you'd like.
    Might be worth digging through other naval name records and using different countries for different navies.

For individual ship suggestions:
    Thunder Child (yes it's a The War Of The Worlds reference, it's still awesome)
    Persephone
    Dauntless
    Dreadnaught
    *Insert mythological monster here*
    Gravitas... Gravitas... No don't help me, I'll get it in a moment
    Omega
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

One that I've used a time or two is a horrific destructive warship named The Spirit of Peace and Diplomacy.

So that when they ride up to burn your planet and enslave your people, at least it's in The Spirit of Peace and Diplomacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think Seventh Sanctum has a spaceship name generator
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

7. - Top - End - #7

PirateWench

You can always use slightly altered versions of famous fictional spaceships, like the Exit Prize or the Century Bird.

Or name the ships after famous real dead people, like the George Washington, the Edmund Fitzgerald, or the E.B. White.
    Last edited by SimonMoon6; 2022-05-05 at 08:32 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Power Metal Song titles can be good for ship names
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

9. - Top - End - #9

No matter what else you end up with, there has to be an Easter egg about a starfreighter that got stuck sideways in a wormhole. Go ahead and call it the Ever Given, since everybody already totally forgot about it.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

10. - Top - End - #10

Alright. Here's a few ideas, in case you don't want to go all-in on the tried and tired old human naming conventions for everyone:

1. Have you read Lowry's Under the Volcano? Hugh's bildungsflashback (the only part of an otherwise so very incredibly good novel I love that I don't care much about, but that's beside the point) features two ships, the Philoctetes and the Oedipus Tyrannus, both named after plays by Sophocles. You can do (kind of) the same with Aeschylan and Euripidean plays for some more refined nation/civilization/whatever and have, say,
    —a. Rhesos; Kyklops; Alkestis; Medeia; Herakleis; Stephanephoros; Andromakhe; Hekabe; Hiketis; Mainomenos; Ion; Troas; Phoinissa; Bakkhe; Tauroi and Aulis as medium-size, more agile vessels; and
    —b. Persa; Hepta; Desmotes; Khoephoros and Eumenis as larger, heavier craft.

2. For something a bit more alien-sounding, you can pick a genus of, well any category that has genera in it and transliterate the more exotic-sounding species names phonetically, maybe taking the archaic route here and there. In this manner, from Prunus we get
    —Apetala; Awiom; Darwasika; Graiana; Inkana; Simoni; Tenella; Pumila; Havardi; Durakina; Pissardi; Rakemosa; Dumetorom; Satiwa; Moldawika.

3. In a similar vein, you can take a relatively obscure language or one that's not widely spoken in your area and likewise transliterate/alter it where you see that fit. For examples, I'll use Arabic and Romanian:
    —Sharq; Shamal; Djanub; Gharb; Suqur; Nasr; Ittihad; Muhadjir; and Vynt; Tcher; Sbor; Sedjata; Sware; Ostash; Megar.

4. Going through the components/regions that constitute the human brain can yield another long list of names with an interesting ring to them, including but not limited to
    —Arcuata; Cuneata; Pons; Dentata; Crus; Ruber; Cinerea; Radiata; Striata; Lamina; Dura; Calcar; Forniks; Vermis; Meninks.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

As someone who occasionally has to deal with (commercial) ships in their line of work, most ship names aren't especially creative.
    Names of cities, rivers or islands are quite popular, occasionally preceeded by "Spirit of" or something similar. Female names might be somewhat clichéd, but happen a lot, so a baby name generator will also be helpful.

I've also seen ships named after famous actors or artists, as well as fictional characters like the three musketeers.

There are also occasional weird names, like calling your line of ships "My ship <number>", but those are pretty rare.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

12. - Top - End - #12

Here's my list of names to use for pirate airships:

Spoiler: There's a few of 'em
    Show
    Questionably Acquired
    Indestructible VII
    Big Booty or Bust
    Predictably Damaged
    Hostile Acquisition
    Malicious Intent
    Don't Hek the Snek
    Serial Peacemaker
    Budget Cuts
    Lost and Found
    Another Happy Landing
    Potentially Airborne
    Boombringer
    Ship Happens
    Zombies Can't Fly
    Smile Before Flash
    Sotally Tober
    End of the Rainbow
    Devil's Reacharound
    Mad-Cuz-Bad
    Git Gud
    Dodge This
    Just a Cloud
    Mining Your Salt
    Cunning Stunt

For anything else, I usually name it the most pretentious thing I can, Age of Sail ship names are a good source for that, what with Formidable, Salvador del Mundo, Santissima Trinidad and so on.
    That which does not kill you made a tactical error.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Celestial Object + Movement Verb (but "noun" the verb)

Sun + Dancer
    Star + Chaser
    Moon + Skipper
    Asteroid + Crawler
    Blackhole + Jumper

Names like this basically create a sentence of "The ship verbs the object" which is a nice description for a ship or class of ships.

This can be expanded to other verbs.

Planet + Eater
    Comet + Collector
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2022-05-06 at 11:07 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Are your players fans of the Star Wars expanded universe? If no, there's a whole set of star destroyer, mon cal cruiser and other names out there. Star Destroyer names are quite good for evil empires.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Spamalot in the Playground

Spacy McSpace Face

I like stealing the names off NASA probes/landers for names to science and exploration vessels; Voyager, Mariner, Opportunity, etc.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

16. - Top - End - #16

A buddy of mine in Ark always named his ships The Unsinkable(whatever number he was on). He was up to around The Unsinkable 18 when I stopped playing.

A name like The Invincible(3) could add a touch of humor. Especially if captained by a Zap Brannigan type.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    A buddy of mine in Ark always named his ships The Unsinkable(whatever number he was on). He was up to around The Unsinkable 18 when I stopped playing.

A name like The Invincible(3) could add a touch of humor. Especially if captained by a Zap Brannigan type.
    Heh. I do the opposite in Kerbal Space Program, my basic surface to (Kerbin) orbit rockets are the Bad Idea series, whereas any attempts at deep space craft get the Imminent Explosion title.

If I ever get good enough that I'll be setting up colonies or the like they'll be named something like Tragic Mistake, but I'm still running out of fuel on my way to crash into the Mun.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    Celestial Object + Movement Verb (but "noun" the verb)

Sun + Dancer
    Star + Chaser
    Moon + Skipper
    Asteroid + Crawler
    Blackhole + Jumper
    [Enter the Pulsartoddler and the Damocloid Locomoter, fastest ships of the galaxy.]

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    As someone who occasionally has to deal with (commercial) ships in their line of work, most ship names aren't especially creative.
    Names of cities, rivers or islands are quite popular, occasionally preceeded by "Spirit of" or something similar. Female names might be somewhat clichéd, but happen a lot, so a baby name generator will also be helpful.

I've also seen ships named after famous actors or artists, as well as fictional characters like the three musketeers.

There are also occasional weird names, like calling your line of ships "My ship <number>", but those are pretty rare.
    I have to deal with commercial vessels as well (in a peripheral way), and I can agree - there's some really odd names out there.

There's also a lot of vessels that carry their owning companies name and a (sometimes themed) distinguishing name - to give an example, if Jeff Bezos decided he wanted to own a global shipping fleet and picked birds as the theme, you could have a vessel called the Amazon Nightingale. Or you could have their home/registered planet or build location - maybe there's a Ganymede Sarah or something similar.

Some vessels carry names from their owner's native language (especially oriental languages - and not just Kobyashi Maru ).

And while I second the notion of using a baby naming site, I personally find this site a wonderful source of names - https://tekeli.li/onomastikon/
    Last edited by Storm_Of_Snow; 2022-05-06 at 01:37 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Objects in Space, one of my favourite spacefaring games, has this big list of ships. Some of my favourites (which include some great references) are in the spoiler.

Spoiler: Picks
    Show
    Maltese Falcon
    Fortunate Son
    Ventriss Storm
    Alabaster Folly
    Morgan's Honour
    Pericles
    Nomad Explorer
    Septim Power
    Bounty
    Destiny
    Horizon
    Starlight
    Ruza's Hope
    Pygmy Giant
    Indefatigable
    Irish Rover
    Amber Fire
    Brigadier
    Jasmine Charm
    Constant
    O'Brien's Folly
    De Ruyter
    Tradewind
    Alcide
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

If you ask me you can't go wrong with nicking the names of some Culture ships

I'm particularly fond of the 'Hand Me The Gun And Ask Me Again' and the 'Ravished by the sheer implausibility of that statement'

https://theculture.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_spacecraft
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    [Enter the Pulsartoddler and the Damocloid Locomoter, fastest ships of the galaxy.]
    Based on those names and the assertion that they are fast:

Beware the Pulsartoddler. I have no idea how it goes so fast but was the worst turbulence I have ever felt. It travels from pulsar to pulsar with a signature unsteady zigzag around the pulsar beam as it accelerates or decelerates.

The Damocloid Locomotor on the other hand is a legendary ship of yore. Nobody knows how it was built but it is able to take minor planets and comfortably accelerate them faster than most other ships can fly unencumbered. Wars have been fought over this ship.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

These are good for a few moments of confusion in the opposing ships:

The Obvious Distraction
    Belay that Order
    Initiate Self Destruct
    Run for the Escape Pods
    All Hands Abandon Ship
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    If you ask me you can't go wrong with nicking the names of some Culture ships

I'm particularly fond of the 'Hand Me The Gun And Ask Me Again' and the 'Ravished by the sheer implausibility of that statement'
    i always liked these longer phrase names. some of the better known ships in halo are a little like this as well; Pillar Of Autumn, In Amber Clad, etc.

one thing i liked to do when i was toying with notes for a traveller campaign is assign different name schemes to different sectors of space as sort of a cultural marker; if they're from over here, they get a name that's a genus of flora or fauna, like Strelitzia or Aranea. if they're from over there, they get an adjective + noun name. if they're part of this organization, i give them a song title or lyric. just spitballing a bunch of methods that are easy to go grab a random word generator or raid a wikipedia article for, that you can shuffle together to make a list of ships in a port that don't all *sound* like they came from the same place, but you can make one method denser than the others to imply "oh, this is what ships from this place sound like; and these other ships sound like visitors", stuff like that.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMoon6 View Post
    You can always use slightly altered versions of famous fictional spaceships, like the Exit Prize or the Century Bird.
    At yes, the good old Business Venture and Decade Vulture.

• Carillon of Fallen Empires
    • The Tannhäuser Gate
    • RRS Hauer
    • LSS Royal Star

On that note, you might want to pick some prefixes for commercial or civilian ships. As a real world example: SS is steamship, while MV is the prefix for motor vessel (as in most modern commercial ships). I'd suggest SV for solar vessel and IV for interstellar vessel.

You can also use prefixes for owner names. MSC for example is Mediterranean Shipping Company, which could applied to Argo. Thus MSC Argo is a cargo ship owned by MSC.

Then all you need to do is slap the appropriate prefix on any real ship and you're golden!

On that note: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_ships

That is a complete list of every ship that Wikipedia lists. There are thousands and thousands of names to choose from.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh baby, here we go. In no particular order:
    The Forward Foray
    The Harken Heavy
    The Even Effort
    Sicarus Scorned
    Carion Call
    Clarion Hall
    The Gum Tug
    Collideascope (it's a ramming ship)
    Arken Angelus
    The Capital Capricious
    The Rapscallion
    Bright Sky Boundless
    The Bumrush
    Wanton Whimsy
    Concorde Cradle
    Bone & Brew
    Reckless Abandoned
    Sandman
    Queen of Hearts
    Ace of Spades
    King of Clubs
    Diamond Jack
    Permanent Assurance
    Choking Hazard
    Gets The Worm
    Anyone's Game
    Invincible II
    No Sense Of Right And Wrong
    Pyrite Ship
    The Maker's Mark
    Flying Obstacle
    Null And Void
    Oceans Of Wrath
    The Nature Of Catastrophe
    Forward Thrust
    Pretty Lady
    Fungible Goods
    Scourge Of The Weak
    Scourge Of The Week
    Stormchaser
    Feeling Fine
    Lack Of Regard
    Heavier Than Air
    What Goes Up
    A Stone's Throw
    Monarch
    Heirarch
    Ecclesiarch
    Autarch
    Oligarch
    Patriarch
    Matriarch
    Revenant
    Snake Eyes
    Royal Flush
    Tall Order
    Made You Flinch
    In Mythril Clad
    Wanderlust
    The Restitution Of All Things
    The Warrant Absolute
    Aces High
    Right Eye Blind
    The Water Foul
    Three Left Turns
    Two Wrongs
    The Hammerhead
    The Laughing Bastard
    Requiem
    Armistice
    The Silver Hand
    Serenity

Hope It Helps

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A personal favorite has always been Samuel Clemens' riverboat in the Riverworld series.....

Not For Hire

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post

Fantasy Name Generators has both a Ship and Spaceship version
    https://www.fantasynamegenerators.co...ship-names.php

You could also go with weapon names in various languages.
    Nahuatl: Atl-atl, macahuitl, cuahualoli, etc.
    Japanese: Katana, bo, naginata, etc.
    Chinese: Dao, chu-ko-nu, qiang, etc.
    Assuming you can use skme English:

This! I love the way the Royal Navy names ships.

You may as well pick famous ships.

Enterprise may be too obvious but there is a darned fine reason a rental car company and Kirk's ship used that name.

Acosta, Johnson (or Evans if that is too obvious)

Warspite though maybe the best name ever. And if any of yoir players get the historical significance give fhem in game props.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMoon6 View Post
    You could also abstract this in a sort of scattergories type way

Enterprise
    Invisible Hand
    Capital
    Wealth of Nations
    Commerce
    Return On Investment

Heart of Gold
    Harvest Moon
    The Needle
    The Damage
    The Emperor of Wyoming
    Unknown Legend
    The Old Laughing Lady
    The White Line
    Drifter
    Danger Bird
    Big Time
    Cinnamon Girl
    Powderfinger
    The Loner
    Hitchhiker
    Hippie Dream
    Johnny Magic
    Love and War
    Music Arcade
    Monsanto Years
    Silver and Gold
    Revolution Blies
    Four Strong Winds
    Act of Love
    Thrasher

Red Dwarf
    Blue Giant
    Main Sequence
    Neutron Star
    Hot Jupiter

Event Horizon
    Ergosphere
    Cauchy Horizon
    Singularity
    Ringularity
    Maximum Entropy
    Holographic Principle
    Black String
    Einstein-Rosen Bridge
    Ether Flow
    Ellis Drainhole
    Dark Star
    Time Dilation
    Firewall
    Kerr Metric
    Schwarzchild Radius
    Gravitational Collapse
    Reissner–Nordstrom

Serenity
    Ataraxia
    Inner Peace
    Nirvana
    Prajnaparamita
    Patience
    Humility
    Renunciation
    Grace Under Fire
    Contentment

The Milano
    The Pirouette
    The Goldfish
    Bordeaux
    Snowball
    Chessman
    Lexington
    Harvest Wheat
    Puff Pastry

Cornucopia of Excellent Goods at Low Prices
    Amazon
    Acme

The Eagle
    The Condor
    The Hawk
    The Turkey Vulture
    Dromaeosaur
    Archaeopteryx
    Barn Owl
    Terror Bird
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2022-05-07 at 10:56 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

30. - Top - End - #30

Once upon a time in Stellaris I ran out of things to do and so I entered window mode and let it keep running in the background. What did I do to pass the time between researches? I added a few hundred words to my own personal subsector in Mongoose Traveller and, when writing in an alien race, ran into this problem.

For those who play Stellaris you know were this is going;

For my butterfly people all ships come in two part names. A yacht could be named “Ram-zardox” using the following…

First part;
    Che - small stations
    Fej - large stations
    Hom - small military craft
    Ram - small residential (free traders qualify but usually shuttles and yachts)
    Ima - large residential
    Mok - freight haulers
    Pa - science vessels
    Tra - construction or mining craft
    Zof - corvette
    Pas - destroyer
    Rit - cruiser
    Wer - battleship

Last part;
    Ata, bon, dum, fid, gentru, ghan, hen, jov, kinen, kot, kow, kuteq, lesuk, letr, par, trogd, wrek, yma, yron, zardox

Plenty more whare that came from but it should be a good start.