New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Way of the Sword Saint

had an idea for a character that had floating swords that they attack with like from some action anime. i tried to figure out what class this subclass would work with and the main ones that came to mind were monk and sorcerer. the subclasses would essentially operate the same it would just be sorcery points instead of ki points and i would replace whirlwind with extra attack.

i would greatly appreciate any insight, suggestions, or criticisms.

Way of the Sword Saint
    Monk subclass

Namesake
    (3rd level)

You gain proficiency in longswords and they count as monk weapons for you.

Blades of the Saint
    (3rd level)

The sword saint is recognized by the blades that float through the air near them. You may spend an hour performing a ritual to bind a dagger or sword that doesn't have the heavy property to you. Once bound, the blade floats near you and follows you as you move and you can move them around however you wish as long as they stay within 15 feet of you. The force holding the blade in the air is only strong enough to hold the blade in the air and nothing more. You may have a number of blades bound this way up to your proficiency bonus.

When you take the attack action, you can use your bound blade to make the attacks instead, gaining a 15 foot reach when you attack with them.

Additionally you gain the following:

Flurry of Blades
    When you take the attack action, you may spend 2 ki points as a bonus action to make a single attack with each of up to two of your bound blades.

Shield of Blades
    As a reaction you may spend 1 ki point to increase your AC by one for each blade you have bound until the start of your next turn.

Whirlwind
    (6th level)

You may use your action to make your bound blades orbit you at a very high speed, potentially cutting all those nearby. Each creature within 5 feet of you must make a dexterity saving throw. For each creature that fails, it is hit by one of your bound blades of your choice as though it were hit by an attack with that blade. The damage for each hit with this ability is increased by your martial arts die.

Saint's Summons
    (11th level)

As an action you may spend a number of ki points up to your proficiency bonus. For each ki point spent this way you summon a spectral longsword to float near you. These Spectral blade act the same as bound blades but don't count against the number of blades you can have bound. When you make attacks with these spectral weapons they get a bonus to attacks and damage equal to half the number of ki points spent on this ability, rounded up. These spectral blades last for one minute or until you lose conciousness.

Heavy Handed
    (11th level)

You may now bind swords with the heavy property but they take up two of your bound blade slots. Additionally you gain proficiency with greatswords and they count as monk weapons for you.

Saint's Vengeance
    (17th level)

As an action you may send all of your bound blades to strike a targert all at once. For each bound blade you have make an attack with it against a target you can see within 30 feet of you. These attacks count as a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.

Once you use this feature, you cant use it again until you finish a long rest.
    Last edited by KittenMagician; 2022-05-07 at 10:32 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Way of the Sword Saint

Have you looked at the Way of the Astral Self monk? It’s pretty close to a floating sword concept, just re-skin the fists as sword. However I too have thought about a floating/flying sword themed character. By re-flavoring Arcane cleric’s magic missile and spiritual weapon as swords.

However for your archetype, it seems to be very powerful especially you you start adding magic weapon effects and magic weapons type spells.
    Last edited by Garfunion; 2022-05-07 at 01:43 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Garfunion View Post
    Have you looked at the Way of the Astral Self monk? It’s pretty close to a floating sword concept, just re-skin the fists as sword. However I too have thought about a floating/flying sword themed character. By re-flavoring Arcane cleric’s magic missile and spiritual weapon as swords.

However for your archetype, it seems to be very powerful especially you you start adding magic weapon effects and magic weapons type spells.
    i know its similar to astral self and a friend of mine pointed that out and strongly pushed for me to make it a sorcerer subclass.

im not sure what magic weapon type spells you are talking about though

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KittenMagician View Post
    i know its similar to astral self and a friend of mine pointed that out and strongly pushed for me to make it a sorcerer subclass.
    A paladin could work, your channel divinity could summon swords to your side.

The sorcerer is definitely needing a “melee” archetype though.

im not sure what magic weapon type spells you are talking about though
    Magic weapon
    Elemental weapon—this one is the big one seeing how it adds extra damage.
    Last edited by Garfunion; 2022-05-07 at 05:19 PM.