New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default 14th Doctor Announced

Scottish-Rwandan Actor Ncuti Gatwa (pronounced approximately "in-shooty") has been tapped for the role.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/08/a...octor-who.html

The 29-yo's biggest role prior to this one was starring in the Netflix series Sex Education as Eric Effiong. Among other accolades, he has three BAFTA nominations in the past three years, and one win for Best Actor in 2020.

In addition, RTD is returning to take over as showrunner after Chibnall's... ah... interesting run.

Though the news broke yesterday/today, Ncuti claims to have been cast all the way back in February.

I'm excited!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: 14th Doctor Announced

I burned out on Doctor Who long ago, but that's pretty neat! Hope he has a nice, long run.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Dead series lmao who cares

Jokes aside, I'll probably give RTD a season to win me back, same as I did with Chibnall. But at this point Doctor Who('s reboot) has sucked longer than it's been on air.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I have honestly never been so little engaged with this show. I completely missed the Easter special, only watched it out of a vague sense of obligation and couldn't care less for it.

I'm going to watch the centenary special, because it'll have 13's regeneration and Ace (Tegan too, I guess), but I don't expect much from it.

The whole of Chibnall's run just feels like a waste of potential and acting talent. I hope Davis can turn this ship around, but frankly, the simple fact that they're bringing a previous showrunner back shows how bad it currently is.

Edit: Mr. Gatwa has quite the uphill battle ahead of him and I wish him luck.

Edit2: Also, next year is the sixtith anniversary, with a milestone like that this early into an actor's run, it'll be hard not to be overshadowed by the inevitable Tennant and Smith.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-05-10 at 02:59 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Also, next year is the sixtith anniversary
    Dont you mean three twentieth?

Yes, I know, but I dont think we'll be doing and talking about the same things in a couple decades when the joke would actually work, so you get it now.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Dont you mean three twentieth?

Yes, I know, but I dont think we'll be doing and talking about the same things in a couple decades when the joke would actually work, so you get it now.
    Wouldn't that be three scores, for you?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

New face, same old Davies back to be out of ideas.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

8. - Top - End - #8

I have honestly never been so little engaged with this show. I completely missed the Easter special, only watched it out of a vague sense of obligation and couldn't care less for it.
    You didn't miss much, it bored me to tears. And then it ended with the most awkward shutting down of a companion's romantic advances I've seen since Martha.

Hilariously, the Doctor even mentions that she has/had a wife, and Yaz has absolutely no reaction to that revelation Maybe the ocean was pretty loud?

The whole of Chibnall's run just feels like a waste of potential and acting talent. I hope Davis can turn this ship around, but frankly, the simple fact that they're bringing a previous showrunner back shows how bad it currently is.
    He was not up to the task and it shows. I'm convinced he didn't really believe in Jodie which is why he wasted her first two seasons cramming too many companions into the TARDIS off the bat rather than first allowing us to get really attached to one (and to the Doctor) like we did with 11 and Amy Pond's intro.

I wonder how much money was in the dumptruck they backed up RTD's driveway to get him to return?
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #9

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    I don't know much about Scotland, but one of the comments compares it to NYC's relationship with New Jersey (bitterly rival locales separated by a bridge) so I'm going to go with that
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #11
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I love the comments partway down:

"Edinburgh and Fife are basically the same, right?"

"If the Fifers could read they'd be very upset by that."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I don't know much about Scotland, but one of the comments compares it to NYC's relationship with New Jersey (bitterly rival locales separated by a bridge) so I'm going to go with that
    If it's two locales in Europe and they're right next to each other, it's generally safe to assume they hate each other's guts.
    Forum Wisdom

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Would be a bit odd for him not to believe in her seeing as he's the one that encouraged her to audition. The reason he had three companions is because it's what Classic Who had to begin with.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

You didn't miss much, it bored me to tears. And then it ended with the most awkward shutting down of a companion's romantic advances I've seen since Martha.
    Yeah, I was kind of falling asleep out of boredom when that happened.

Hilariously, the Doctor even mentions that she has/had a wife, and Yaz has absolutely no reaction to that revelation Maybe the ocean was pretty loud?
    Four wives even! River Song, Elizabeth I, MArylin Monroe and an unnamed Time Lady from before the show. Plus One accidentally got engaged with a Aztec woman once.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Would be a bit odd for him not to believe in her seeing as he's the one that encouraged her to audition. The reason he had three companions is because it's what Classic Who had to begin with.
    However, in the classic era, stories where spread out on several episodes, making them longer and giving each character more room to breathe.
    Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

However, in the classic era, stories where spread out on several episodes, making them longer and giving each character more room to breathe.
    Plus, the companions themselves generally weren't crap, which helped a lot.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The core idea behind having 3 companions was solid. It helps avoid "Most Special Companion" syndrome and helps move things away from the companion being in love with the Doctor. It gives a chance for people to have conversations away from the Doctor and generally gives more room for the characters to grow. That element was the best part of the Chibnall era.

However, the writing of the actual episodes was godawful. I gave up towards the end of the first season because I couldn't take how bizarre the plots became.

Reboot Doctor Who has never been able to stay on an even keel. You have occasional really good episodes mixed in with a bunch of meh and a handful that are offensively bad. I'm no longer prepared to go fishing for the really good episodes.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I burned out on Doctor Who long ago.
    Yeah, pretty much there myself. Tennant was the best doctor. Eccleston also did a good job, and I enjoyed at least some of the Smith run before it started declining.

Not sure exactly where it happened, but at some bit I stopped caring. Eventually they started relying on recycled ideas quite a lot. So, uh, neat I guess, but not feeling any compulsion to pick it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Reboot Doctor Who has never been able to stay on an even keel. You have occasional really good episodes mixed in with a bunch of meh and a handful that are offensively bad. I'm no longer prepared to go fishing for the really good episodes.
    Yeah, absolutely. Even the best episodes have neighbors that are way worse. It's just that the ratio started sinking at some point, and the fun ideas didn't seem worth waiting for.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2022-05-10 at 03:08 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Part of the problem is that an episode used to be something like fifteen minutes long, and a single story would be stretched over multiple episodes. So aside from having to arrange some kind of cliffhanger every fifteen minutes, they could take all the time they wanted with any story, and they didn't need anywhere near so many stories.

I wish the new guy luck, but you can't make a silk purse out of a cow's ear, and he can't make a great character if the writing is bad no matter how talented he is. Also, if his being black isn't treated as an incidental feature but becomes a central issue, it's going to be bad - it will be like Bill's sexual orientation, only worse.
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    1) There's a big difference between getting her to audition and then having to write stories around her. For whatever reason, he didn't seem to think a doctor-1-companion dynamic would carry the show, until abruptly he did when 2/3 of them threw up their hands and quit, and by then it was too late.

2) Even Classic Who moved away from stuffing the TARDIS, and for good reason. Doctor Who isn't Star Trek. When every single episode is introducing new characters in the form of the aliens, humans, historical figures, and recurring characters from the extended cast, being able to anchor the audience's focus on 2-3 constants (ideally 2) is necessary. Deviations from that should be the exception, not the rule.

Also that. Chibnall was way too interested in Monster of the Week for the beginning of her run, and by the time he began taking bigger swings like Timeless Child and Sontaran Stratagem he was already floundering to recapture audience goodwill.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    The core idea behind having 3 companions was solid. It helps avoid "Most Special Companion" syndrome and helps move things away from the companion being in love with the Doctor. It gives a chance for people to have conversations away from the Doctor and generally gives more room for the characters to grow. That element was the best part of the Chibnall era.
    I don't mind companions being special, part of the whole point is that they have a lot more to offer than even they realize they do and their time in the TARDIS is focused on bringing that out. Donna Noble was perhaps the most well-received example of that.

On the romance thing I definitely agree, except Chibnall ran right to that as soon as Graham and Ryam bounced so what was the point?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Plus, the companions themselves generally weren't crap, which helped a lot.
    True, the series still hasn't managed to give us a better companion than Jo or Jamie.

Although Ace comes close.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Yeah, pretty much there myself. Tennant was the best doctor.
    Somebody's never heard of Patrick Troughton or Colin Baker.

Seriously, Tennant was the worst and his episodes are hard to rewatch. Jodie might have got a lot of bad scripts, but she's in more of a Colin Baker situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian View Post
    Part of the problem is that an episode used to be something like fifteen minutes long, and a single story would be stretched over multiple episodes.
    About 23 minutes, the average story length was six episodes for Hartnell and Troughton, or four for Pertwee through McCoy. When you account for running down corridors it's still just under 50% longer than your average revival story. On the other hand serials were just the normal format for British sci-fi up until the early 2000s.

As for the announcement, eh. The only reason I checked it was to make sure a new actor had been cast, and I'll give him a go. Maybe unlike the Chibnall era this'll keep me engaged for more than two episodes and five minutes.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

I am excited about it, though perhaps even more excited about the prospect of a different writer than a new doctor. As others have said, I think Jodie was a great cast and it is such a shame that she had to deal with so poor scripting. My wife and I have stuck with the entire run so far, but on the last season we were on the verge of giving up on the Doctor, it all just felt so soulless and repetitive towards the end. There was also a point where they had major issues of heavy-handed messaging. I mean, even people who find x political message important and relevant do not appreciate being hit in the head with it with a sledgehammer.

There was admittedly the occasional decent episode, it wasn't all without merit. I quite liked the time loop New Year's Special, for example, it felt appropriately Doctor-ish.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

What gives me hope is the comment that they had basically decided who they were going to cast before Ncuti's audition (which was the last of the day) and he came in and acted well enough for them to change their minds. No Dr Who actor has been bad, but this suggests Ncuti is something special which gives hope.

Now a good actor cannot save bad writing, but they can take good writing and make it into a great show (or mediocre writing into a good show).
    We know that Russel TD can write, so hopefully he will write wee enough for Ncuti to turn it into something special.
    (A many years ago I made the mistake of giving up watching during the Colin Baker era when the BBC were actively trying to kill the series so I missed the original outings of Sylveste(r) McCoy's Doctor and Ace.)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    True, the series still hasn't managed to give us a better companion than Jo or Jamie.

Although Ace comes close.
    Romanadvoratrelundar would like to have a word with you.
    Forum Wisdom

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Romanadvoratrelundar would like to have a word with you.
    Ah, but is she one or two companions?

Jo's still my favourite, but I'll admit that others have been almost as good. It's like how no Doctor is better than Rowan Atkinson, but Colin Baker comes close. Romana and Sarah Jane both make the top five with ease.

Actually, I'd still like to see Atkinson as a main series Doctor.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

25. - Top - End - #25

I still like Evelyn Smythe as a companion. The Doctor could use more older, calmer companions. And companions who can speak their mind.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2022-05-12 at 03:14 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I still like Evelyn Smythe as a companion. The Doctor could use more older, calmer companions. And companions who can speak their mind.
    Been a while since I listened to any of her audios. But yes, she was the perfect choice to match with Six.

Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Corlindale View Post
    I am excited about it, though perhaps even more excited about the prospect of a different writer than a new doctor. As others have said, I think Jodie was a great cast and it is such a shame that she had to deal with so poor scripting. My wife and I have stuck with the entire run so far, but on the last season we were on the verge of giving up on the Doctor, it all just felt so soulless and repetitive towards the end. There was also a point where they had major issues of heavy-handed messaging. I mean, even people who find x political message important and relevant do not appreciate being hit in the head with it with a sledgehammer.

There was admittedly the occasional decent episode, it wasn't all without merit. I quite liked the time loop New Year's Special, for example, it felt appropriately Doctor-ish.
    Not only is it a sledgehammer, but Chibnall would frequently miss and flatten his own foot. "Kerblam!" was a great example of that - he made a whole episode sending up a certain well-known retail giant and alluding to themes of corporate greed/malfeasance, but ended it with none of it being the poor widdle corporation's fault, opting to instead pin all the episode's evil on a lone disgruntled former-employee-turned-terrorist. The Doctor deals with that person and hooray, the corporation is in the clear, all its wrongdoing is solved forever and the Doctor takes off with multiple purchases in tow.

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    What gives me hope is the comment that they had basically decided who they were going to cast before Ncuti's audition (which was the last of the day) and he came in and acted well enough for them to change their minds. No Dr Who actor has been bad, but this suggests Ncuti is something special which gives hope.

Now a good actor cannot save bad writing, but they can take good writing and make it into a great show (or mediocre writing into a good show).
    We know that Russel TD can write, so hopefully he will write wee enough for Ncuti to turn it into something special.
    (A many years ago I made the mistake of giving up watching during the Colin Baker era when the BBC were actively trying to kill the series so I missed the original outings of Sylveste(r) McCoy's Doctor and Ace.)
    That actually worries me. I mean, props to Ncuti for what must have been a bang-up performance, the guy is clearly talented, but it also suggests they didn't have a clear vision for what they want the next Doctor to be if they were going through a real audition. IIRC and by contrast, they went looking for Capaldi specifically.

I'm not as sold on RTD's return as some either. I mean sure, he gave us gold like Waters of Mars and Turn Left, but he also gave us dross like Love & Monsters and Fear Her. But I'd take a monkey with a typewriter over Chibnall at this point, especially after suffering through Flux and the most recent special.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

#FrobisherOrWeRiot

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    ...companions that are written well!

The sad thing is that the audio dramas have been so much better-written that the show itself. Really, even the worst of them are better than the show's average, and some have been absolutely brilliant. And while audio effects are neither effortless nor cheap, they've managed to tell enthralling stories without the slightest bit of visuals.

Really, they need to get the people who write the audio dramas to write the TV series.
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian View Post
    ...companions that are written well!

The sad thing is that the audio dramas have been so much better-written that the show itself. Really, even the worst of them are better than the show's average, and some have been absolutely brilliant. And while audio effects are neither effortless nor cheap, they've managed to tell enthralling stories without the slightest bit of visuals.

Really, they need to get the people who write the audio dramas to write the TV series.
    No, there's some absolute stinkers in the audio dramas, too. I remember one about Charles Darwin that tried to make a point about the theory of evolution, written by someone who didn't even understand high school biology. At all. It features the Silurians evolving the first humans from apes. At one point, a Silurian tries to control Darwin by telling him that he is a God, and Charles Darwin can break the midn control because he believes in natural evolution, not God. It also has the worst Spanish accent ever put on tape and is generally just boring.
    Resident Vancian Apologist