New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: 14th Doctor Announced

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    this latest one it's clear that the underlying issues that plague the show aren't being fixed in favor of "big news" castings decisions designed to create buzz.
    Good to know the castings can’t ever be genuine.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

2. - Top - End - #92
    Spamalot in the Playground

While this is true in retrospect, going into the series they had advertised her fairly heavily.
    And she featured very heavily. That she was not the bog-standard honorable idealist starfleet captain #47B you believe you were somehow promised is in no way a fault of the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Good to know the castings can’t ever be genuine.
    I have to be honest: I assumed the casting was genuine, but that was mostly because I've never heard of the guy. If it had been Patterson Joseph or Brian Blessed I'd have been suspicious.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    And she featured very heavily. That she was not the bog-standard honorable idealist starfleet captain #47B you believe you were somehow promised is in no way a fault of the show.
    I never assumed she was going to be generic bog standard star fleet captain. I did assume from all the advertising heavily presenting her as the main character that she would actually be a central character and captain of the show and not killed off in the pilot in a silly bait and switch so Spocks long lost never before mentioned half human half sister with the personality of soggy cereal could be the central character.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

5. - Top - End - #95

I never assumed she was going to be generic bog standard star fleet captain. I did assume from all the advertising heavily presenting her as the main character that she would actually be a central character and captain of the show and not killed off in the pilot in a silly bait and switch so Spocks long lost never before mentioned half human half sister with the personality of soggy cereal could be the central character.
    Michelle Yeoh's character was central, but you appear to have quit the show long before that point so I understand why you think she wasn't. Though that does impact the value of your opinions on it.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Michelle Yeoh's character was central, but you appear to have quit the show long before that point so I understand why you think she wasn't. Though that does impact the value of your opinions on it.
    Not...really? Michelle Yeoh was a central ACTRESS, but the character she originally played is not a central character. She comes back playing someone ENTIRELY different.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

...so Spocks long lost never before mentioned half human half sister with the personality of soggy cereal could be the central character...
    Fully human, adopted sister. Michael's parents were both human, they died when she was a child, and she was then adopted and raised by Sarek alongside Spock. (How Sybok fit into any of that was left unaddressed, though.)

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

When did this become a Star Trek thread?

Exterminate!

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Not...really? Michelle Yeoh was a central ACTRESS, but the character she originally played is not a central character. She comes back playing someone ENTIRELY different.
    And the character she comes back as is a central character. Which he'd know if he had watched the show. That's my point.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

And the character she comes back as is a central character. Which he'd know if he had watched the show. That's my point.
    His assertion was "Georgiou was supposed to be a central character but she's not". This is a correct assertion.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    When did this become a Star Trek thread?

Exterminate!
    Just pretend they’re talking about Star Trek in regards to Assimilation2. It wouldn’t be the oddest thing from Doctor Who to get its own spin off
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2022-05-20 at 09:31 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    His assertion was "Georgiou was supposed to be a central character but she's not". This is a correct assertion.
    No, it's really not. Both characters are named Georgiou. {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by truemane; 2022-05-22 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Scrubbed
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

No, it's really not. Both characters are named Georgiou. {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    I know four people named Matt, but they're not the same person. {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by truemane; 2022-05-22 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Scrubbed

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

So apparently there's a new comic series that's going to tell the story of how 'the Timeless Child became the Doctor we all know and love'.

Except that, we already know how the Doctor became the Doctor. They picked up the name because that's what Ian and Barbara called him and it proved convenient enough. They stopped being a selfish prick because their companions rubbed off on them. They like Earth from a mixture of it being Susan's favourite planet and having a lot of adventures there. The only thing not properly explained by the show is the TARDIS being a police box, and that's only if you subscribe to 'the chameleon circuit isn't broken' theories.

So yeah, while I'm not impressed with the Timeless Child stuff one bit, I'm significantly less impressed with ignoring the character arc that One had in order to try and bludgeon the idea in.

Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Firbolg in the Playground

BBC has just announced that Rynjin will play the 15th Doctor, while Psyren will return as The Master, a central character! Both of them will be Starfleet captains as they journey to the Dalek's home planet of Romulus!

BBC stands for Beth's Bogus Carrots, in case that wasn't obvious.
    Last edited by 137beth; 2022-05-21 at 12:26 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137beth View Post
    BBC has just announced that Rynjin will play the 15th Doctor
    What a bloody honor, I'll have to work on my British accent.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2022-05-21 at 12:30 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

So apparently there's a new comic series that's going to tell the story of how 'the Timeless Child became the Doctor we all know and love'.
    I put money on the story just being just the Martin Doctor being caught and forcibly regenerated and chameleon arched into child Hartnell.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Except that, we already know how the Doctor became the Doctor. They picked up the name because that's what Ian and Barbara called him and it proved convenient enough.
    No, the Doctor already called himself that. Ian and Barbara called him "Doctor Foreman" because of Susan's assumed name and that started the "Doctor Who?" running gag, but that's it.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    I put money on the story just being just the Martin Doctor being caught and forcibly regenerated and chameleon arched into child Hartnell.
    Why Chameleon Arched? One had a dicky ticker, but was still a Time Lord.

Unless I'm missing some revelation because Chibnall's writing is so boring I didn't watch Flux.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    No, the Doctor already called himself that. Ian and Barbara called him "Doctor Foreman" because of Susan's assumed name and that started the "Doctor Who?" running gag, but that's it.
    After watching the scene I honestly came to the conclusion that he hadn't picked an alias and Ian and Barbara just settled on 'Doctor' for convenience.

But I do like that Hartnell was the first actor to say the name on the show.

Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Why Chameleon Arched? One had a dicky ticker, but was still a Time Lord.

Unless I'm missing some revelation because Chibnall's writing is so boring I didn't watch Flux.
    It’d be a pretty ****ty way to hide the child among the general population if the first time they got a medical scan it was obvious they were different. (Also the Brendan flashbacks involve a chameleon arch, also also fob watch in series 13)
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

21. - Top - End - #111
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Notwithstanding that something being "ruined" for you does not mean it has been actually ruined. Said chugging on as exhibit B.
    I've come to the conclusion that shows like Doctor Who will "chug on" as long as the owners can make a profit from them. The continuation of the show in no way suggests that it hasn't been ruined. The Simpsons is still making new episodes, and they are distorted caricatures of the show's glory days.
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chibnall's writing is so boring I didn't watch Flux.
    Wait, is Flux important? I got the impression it was some kind of collection of YouTube-sized shorts or similar, so I haven't bothered looking at it.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    Wait, is Flux important? I got the impression it was some kind of collection of YouTube-sized shorts or similar, so I haven't bothered looking at it.
    No, no it's six full episodes making a season. It's supposed to be one big epic story broken down into several sub-adventures like the Key to Time arc or the Trial of a Time Lord arc from the classic show. It doubles down on the whole Timeless Child thing and is overall the high point of Chibnall's run so far. Which is not saying muxh because it exemplifies some of his worst tendencies. The end resultnis a bloated, confusing, self-important mess that notheless contains several genuinely clever ideas and, surprise of all surprise, interesting and well-portrayed supporting characters (several of whom are in the trailer for the centenary special). This all makes for a very frustrating watch as many things aren't properly explained, the consequences of others are ignored are very bizarre creative choices were made.

Many people apparently thought the villains' designs were nice but I found them overdesigned eyesores tacked on one-dimensional characters.

So in short several wasted good characters and a few good ideas lost in a confusing mire.

It's will probably be required to have watched it to follow the centennary special, so my advice is to watch it with a friends or two so you can make snide remarks along the way.
    Forum Wisdom

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly at this point I'd just like information on how The Division relates to the Celestial Integration Agency. Because seriously, as far as I can tell they're basically just the super special Chibnall version of the CIA.

Show

25. - Top - End - #115

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post

Here
    's what Cartmel thinks about the Timeless Child and how it relates to his Caramel Marzipan.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    To be fair I'm fairly certain that the 'masterplan' was never really detailed, and more about adding mystery by implying links with the founders.

Notably the eventual resolution, while in a disliked novel, is relatively mundane and opens up another mystery: the Doctor just happened to be a perfect genetic copy of the forgotten founder. It's unlikely to the extreme but on a universal scale it'll probably happen to many people, and if it's not just coincidence then why.

Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

After watching the scene I honestly came to the conclusion that he hadn't picked an alias and Ian and Barbara just settled on 'Doctor' for convenience.
    Having rewatched it, you are right that The Doctor does not introduce himself as such (or at all), but, back at Coal Hill School, Barbara called Susan's grandfather a doctor, so it's likely what Susan told them. Whether or not she made it up (like the Foreman surname from the junkyard gates) or he was already calling himself that isn't clear.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Notably the eventual resolution, while in a disliked novel, is relatively mundane and opens up another mystery: the Doctor just happened to be a perfect genetic copy of the forgotten founder. It's unlikely to the extreme but on a universal scale it'll probably happen to many people, and if it's not just coincidence then why.
    Oh, god, the Jupiter Ascending plot. I can imagine why the novel was disliked.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Having rewatched it, you are right that The Doctor does not introduce himself as such (or at all), but, back at Coal Hill School, Barbara called Susan's grandfather a doctor, so it's likely what Susan told them. Whether or not she made it up (like the Foreman surname from the junkyard gates) or he was already calling himself that isn't clear.
    It might be one of those things where there was an idea at the time, and different idea now, and they lead to two somewhat different interpretations. I think the intended implication is that he's literally a doctor (of physics or something) from the future, instead of having an ego so large he took 'the highly educated one' as his moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Oh, god, the Jupiter Ascending plot. I can imagine why the novel was disliked.
    Jupiter Ascending has Looms?

Show