New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Spell to Power Psion ACF

Spell to Power

Your training has included basic magical theory as well as the usual psionic training.

Replaces: You lose your 5th-level bonus feat.

Benefit: You add Spellcraft to your class skill list at 1st-level, which allows you to learn about arcane spells. Once you reach 5th-level you trade in your bonus feat to get the Spell to Power class feature, which allows you to attempt to convert an arcane spell into a power.

Special: Researching the arcane comes at the cost of slightly slowing your Maximum Power Level Known for your normal psionic powers. Your Maximum Power Level Known is one level behind other Psions, although your Powers Known and Power Points Per Day remain the same. See the class table for your Maximum Power Level Known.

Spell-powers

Each spell costs a certain number of power points to manifest. The higher the level of the spell, the more power points it costs. The table on the left describes each spell's cost.

Code:
    Spell Level Power Point Cost
    0	0*
    1st	1
    2nd	3
    3rd	5
    4th	7
    5th	9
    6th	11
    7th	13
    8th	15
    9th	17
    * 0-level spells cost no power points to manifest. Instead, you may manifest a number of 0-level spells each day equal to the ability score modifier for your manifesting class. 0-level spell-powers do not count against your unique spell-powers per day.

You use your manifester level for determining the effects of the spell being manifested, with one significant exception. Spells that deal a number of dice of damage based on caster level (such as magic missile, searing light, or lightning bolt) deal damage as if cast by a character of the minimum level of the class capable of casting the spell. Spells whose damage is partially based on caster level, but that don't deal a number of dice of damage based on caster level (such as produce flame or an inflict spell) use your normal manifester level to determine damage. Use your normal manifester level for all other effects, including range and duration.

For example, a fireball deals a number of dice of damage based on your manifester level, so when manifested it deals 5d6 points of damage (as if cast by a 5th-level wizard, which is the minimum level of wizard capable of casting fireball).

You can pay additional power points to augment the dice of damage dealt by a spell. Every 1 extra power point spent at the time of manifesting increases the spell's effective caster level by 1 for purposes of dealing damage. The damage-dealing spell's caster level cannot be increased above the your manifester level, or above the normal maximum allowed by the spell.

For example, even at 7th level, your lightning bolts deal only 5d6 points of damage (just like a 5th-level wizard) unless you spend extra power points. If you spend 1 extra power point (making the lightning bolt cost 6 points rather than 5), the spell deals 6d6 points of damage. A second extra power point would increase the damage to 7d6 points, but you can't spend more points than this, since your manifester level is only 7th. Were you 10th level or higher, you could spend a maximum of 5 extra power points on this spell, raising the damage up to 10d6, the maximum allowed for a lightning bolt spell.

Similarly, your magic missile spell shoots only one missile unless she spends extra power points. An extra 2 power points increases the caster level from 1st to 3rd, granting her one additional missile. You can spend a maximum of 6 additional power points in this manner, increasing your effective caster level to 7th for damage purposes and granting you a total of four missiles. If you were 9th level or higher, you could spend a maximum of 8 extra power points, granting you five missiles (just like a 9th-level caster).

Spells that allow a character to recall or recast a spell cannot be learned.

Because the spells are now effectively psionic powers, they are no longer affected by metamagic feats. However, metapsionic feats can affect them as they would a psionic power.

As with casting a spell, manifesting a spell may require certain components. Some of the components remain unchanged, such as verbal, somatic, and XP cost. Spells with expensive material components (non-negligible) require you to spend an additional 2 power points when manifesting the spell in lieu of the material components. If you happen to have the material components, no additional power point cost is assessed. Spells with a focus are treated the same as those with a material component. If the spell has an expensive material component and a focus, the additional power point cost would be 4.

Converting a Spell to Power

You can learn arcane spells as psionic powers through arcane scrolls.

To learn a spell as a power through a scroll you must study the scroll for one hour per level the spell on the scroll. At the end of the period of study, you must make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell’s level). If the Spellcraft check is successful then the spell is learned as a power, and the scroll is consumed (the spell disappears from the parchment).

Once the spell-power is successfully learned, the Psion must pay a cost in XP equal to 20 XP times the level of the spell (10 XP for a 0-level spell).

If the Spellcraft check is failed, then you have failed to convert the spell on the scroll to a power, and the spell on the scroll does not vanish. You cannot attempt to learn or copy that spell again until you gain another rank in the Spellcraft skill.

The maximum level of spell-power that you can manifest equals half your manifester level minus 2 (round down). Therefore a 5th-level Psion could manifest up to 1st level spells into powers. You can attempt to convert a spell to power of any level but cannot manifest the spell-power until you are capable of manifesting spell-powers of that level.

Only scrolls can be used to learn spells as powers. Spellbooks may not be used for this purpose, nor can spell-powers be transferred to other creatures by any method, such as psychic chirurgery.

Unique Spell-Powers Per Day

Using spell-powers is more taxing on the Psion than normal psionic powers. You may manifest a number of unique spell-powers per day equal to 1 plus one third your manifester level (round down). For example, a Psion with 10 ML could manifest 4 unique spell-powers per day, even manifesting these powers multiple times per day.

Feat

Spell-Power Preparation

Type: Psionic

You prepare some spell-powers in a manner somewhat like the Wizards you attempt to emulate.

Prerequisite: Possess the unique spell-powers per day class ability.

Benefit: Each day you may select 2 spell-powers to prepare like a Wizard prepares spells. Instead of reading a spellbook, you must spend one hour in meditation to prepare your spell-powers using this feat. You can now freely manifest these 2 spell-powers without expending uses of unique spell-powers per day.

Special: You can take this feat multiple times. Each time you take this feat, the number of spell-powers that you can prepare increases by 2.

I am pretty happy with this. The unified table should give all the information needed to understand exactly what the trade-offs are for this ACF. Given that this ACF is always behind, I consider it impossible that they could break a game at the level of opponents that they encounter.
    Last edited by redking; 2022-05-13 at 12:08 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Chimera

Default Re: Spell to Power Psion ACF

The main issue I can see is that you’re expanding the Psion’s powers known by half level and letting them sub in whatever spells they want Erudite style. As written this seems stronger than a erudite. I like it but I personally recommend changing this from a ACF to a feat that enables you to swap out powers known for spells. Probably a improved Psychic Reformation related feat that lets you sun out powers from anything you could pick instead of just redoing a choice to achieve a similar result. Then add a second feat with that prerequisite that lets you yoink arcane spells and add them to your power list, not directly to your powers known and instead just letting you pick them as a known power or for a choice to swap out with PR. Hates the powerful interactions off for a while and stops the spontaneity that makes Erudite hard to DM for.

Good work otherwise. I appreciate using the unreleased errata for erudite.
    Last edited by Jervis; 2022-05-11 at 12:13 AM.
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

3. - Top - End - #3

Yes. It's supposed to be better than the Erudite. The Erudite is limited to 11 unique powers per day at level 20. Compared to that, it's the difference between heaven and earth.

In terms of swapping out powers for spell-powers, it's a bit redundant because of the way Psions can learn new powers through Psychic Chirurgery. I could put verbiage in there to prevent that, but the more complicated it gets the more it's bogged down with fine detail.

For most of normal play, it's a pretty minor boost in utility. At 7th level, the StP Psion gets 3 unique powers to use daily. The only thing I can see that is potentially problematic is the PP to components, which is a carry-over from the Erudite. But since it was in the official rules, I don't feel pressed to correct it.

I suppose I could tighten the unique uses per day to 1+ 1/3 of manifester level round down. At 20th level that would be 7 unique uses per day instead of 10.

I prefer to keep it simple rather than issuing mechanics that mess with the rest of the class. A bolt-on rather than reworking.

Here is a feat I made for this ACF.

Spell-Power Preparation

Type: Psionic

You prepare some spell-powers in a manner somewhat like the Wizards you attempt to emulate.

Prerequisite: Possess the unique spell-powers per day class ability.

Benefit: Each day you may select 2 spell-powers to prepare like a Wizard prepares spells. Instead of reading a spellbook, you must spend one hour in meditation to prepare your spell-powers using this feat. You can now freely manifest these 2 spell-powers without expending uses of unique spell-powers per day.

Special: You can take this feat multiple times. Each time you take this feat, the number of spell-powers that you can prepare increases by 2.

Edit: I made the following revisions.

Unique Spell-Powers Per Day
    Using spell-powers is more taxing on the Psion than normal psionic powers. You may manifest a number of unique spell-powers per day equal to 1 plus one third your manifester level (round down). For example, a Psion with 10 ML could manifest 4 unique spell-powers per day, even manifesting these powers multiple times per day.

Converting a Spell to Power
    The maximum level of spell that you can convert to power equals half your manifester level minus 2 (round down). Therefore a 4th level Psion could convert up to 1st level spells into powers.

Zero level spells: * 0-level spells cost no power points to manifest. Instead, you may manifest a number of 0-level spells each day equal to the ability score modifier for your manifesting class. 0-level spell-powers do not count against your unique spell-powers per day.

That should make it somewhat more stringent. I still think its a better deal than Erudite.

EDIT #2: Updated with tables for ease of understanding.

EDIT #3: Another clean-up and clarification. I am starting to think that this works better as a feat that could be taken at 5 CL. Or that the ACF starts at 5th level of Psion (don't really want to force it, though). Maybe something like:

Convert Spell to Power

Your training has included basic magical theory as well as the usual psionic training.

Prerequisites: Manifester level 5. Psicraft 8 ranks. Spellcraft 1 rank.

Benefit: You add Spellcraft to your class skill list, which allows you to attempt to convert an arcane spell into a power you can add to your repertoire.

Special: Researching the arcane comes at the cost of slightly slowing your Maximum Power Level Known for your normal psionic powers. Your Maximum Power Level Known is one level behind other Psions, although your Powers Known and Power Points Per Day remain the same. You increase your Maximum Power Level Known at the following levels:

Code:
    Psion Level	Maximum Power Level Known
    5	3rd
    6	3rd
    7	3rd
    8	4th
    9	4th
    10	5th
    11	5th
    12	6th
    13	6th
    14	7th
    15	7th
    16	8th
    17	8th
    18	9th
    19	9th
    20	9th
    EDIT #4: I've made changes to the main post. Whether an ACF or a feat, I feel that the changes I have made no longer make it certain that someone must take this option. With Erudites, its Spell to Power or nothing. If not StP, no one will play them. The give and take with what I have here means that people will really have to think being doing this. I still think it is slightly advantageous, but not by much.
    Last edited by redking; 2022-05-11 at 10:28 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I am frankly against this because STP Erudite is broken even at the interpretation that they should only have 11 unique powers per day. The concept is somewhat broken and Psion is already a really strong class, giving them this super ACF doesn't seem like it is a good idea.

Do remember that RAW Erudite get 11 Unique Powers PER power level not total. It's a reasonable interpretation that they are supposed to only have 11 but that is not RAW.
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2022-05-12 at 12:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

5. - Top - End - #5

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    I am frankly against this because STP Erudite is broken even at the interpretation that they should only have 11 unique powers per day. The concept is somewhat broken and Psion is already a really strong class, giving them this super ACF doesn't seem like it is a good idea.

Do remember that RAW Erudite get 11 Unique Powers PER power level not total. It's a reasonable interpretation that they are supposed to only have 11 but that is not RAW.
    Side note. I’ve been tinkering with a Ardent variant with a ACF that does divine spells instead of arcane ones. Broken? Maybe but 3.5 is broken and I like doing made science. Class is based on the idea of the Akashic Record and collective unconscious.

So far it doesn’t have as many mantles but it can swap them out. Basically instead of primary and secondary mantles you get two primary mantles and their granted powers, but no secondary mantles. You can swap powers known via a process that takes several hours and a autohypnosis check, you also need at least half of your powers from your primary mantles as normal. Note the rules for this say that you can have fewer than your normal powers known if you just haven’t identified enough.

For powers not in your primary mantles you can grab them via a process similar to a mix between Sha’ir and Erudite, needing to encounter someone who can use it and make a autohypnosis check. On a success that spell is learnable if it’s on any of the ardent mantles. Ones not and mantles require the same as above in addition to erudite XP spending rules having their minimum ML/PP cost increased by 2.

ACF is based around Fearune lore and requires that you worship Auppenser, it lets you treat cleric domains as mantles and grab divine spells like a Erudite grabs arcane ones, treating divine spells not from one of auppenser’s domains as off list. You also need to pick the Mentalism domain as one of your mantles and can pick Auppenser’s domains as primary mantles.

Probably not balanced but does it sound interesting?

I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.

6. - Top - End - #6

What you say is true, but in this version the spell-power ACF Psion is getting first level arcane spell-powers at 4th level. At 5th level they still only have 1st level spell-powers. Furthermore, they are a level behind other psions in terms of maximum psionic power level. The trade-off is very significant. I don't think you'd see a situation where people say "you MUST take this ACF". There are plenty of good reasons not to take it.

For the above reasons, I don't see how it could break a game. This ACF trades firepower for a bit of extra utility.

I updated the main post.
    Last edited by redking; 2022-05-12 at 04:16 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by redking View Post
    What you say is true, but in this version the spell-power ACF Psion is getting first level arcane spell-powers at 4th level. At 5th level they still only have 1st level spell-powers. Furthermore, they are a level behind other psions in terms of maximum psionic power level. The trade-off is very significant. I don't think you'd see a situation where people say "you MUST take this ACF". There are plenty of good reasons not to take it.

For the above reasons, I don't see how it could break a game. This ACF trades firepower for a bit of extra utility.

I updated the main post.
    It is a massive boost in power and utility for the cost of a bonus feat. Even low level spells can become obscenely powerful. Mirror image functions fully for just 3 power points, so does glitter dust, heroics and heroism. All of which are great second level spells which are easily worth knowing for the cost of a feat.

Also you need to confirm right now whether artificer scrolls work. You specified that they need to learn arcane spells and learn from scrolls but you didn't specify the scrolls need to be arcane. A bit of semantics as the intent is obviously arcane only but I have a couple super literal players so I tend to notice that stuff
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2022-05-12 at 09:13 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

It is a massive boost in power and utility for the cost of a bonus feat.
    Anything Spell to Power will have that. But note, its not only the cost of a bonus feat, but the maximum power level progression (for their regular psionic powers) is nerfed as well, putting the StP Psion a level behind all other psions (like a sorcerer is behind a wizard). Being a level behind in maximum power level is huge.

Even low level spells can become obscenely powerful. Mirror image functions fully for just 3 power points, so does glitter dust, heroics and heroism. All of which are great second level spells which are easily worth knowing for the cost of a feat.
    Mirror Image, which they get at level 6 instead of level 3 when a Wizard gets it, at which point they can manifest 2 such spell-powers a day.

Also you need to confirm right now whether artificer scrolls work. You specified that they need to learn arcane spells and learn from scrolls but you didn't specify the scrolls need to be arcane. A bit of semantics as the intent is obviously arcane only but I have a couple super literal players so I tend to notice that stuff
    I don't know how I can be clearer.

You can learn arcane spells as psionic powers through scrolls.
    Artificer scrolls are neither arcane nor divine. I thought of many things that I could put in the text, actually, but it would get so bogged down and look like a legal document. I assume that most DMs are going to be sane, and already looking askance at this ACF and so won't let players get away with any tomfoolery. Its crazy to me that players try this stuff (although, I have only seen it on this forum, not IRL) because at the end the DM will just ban whatever class, feat or spell they are trying to exploit.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know how I can be clearer.

Artificer scrolls are neither arcane nor divine. I thought of many things that I could put in the text, actually, but it would get so bogged down and look like a legal document. I assume that most DMs are going to be sane, and already looking askance at this ACF and so won't let players get away with any tomfoolery. Its crazy to me that players try this stuff (although, I have only seen it on this forum, not IRL) because at the end the DM will just ban whatever class, feat or spell they are trying to exploit.
    Sorry for not being precise. I meant you change the wording from "You can learn arcane spells as psionic powers through scrolls." to "You can learn arcane spells as psionic powers through arcane scrolls."

You don't technically specify that the scrolls have to be arcane. An artificer scroll of mirror image could realistically be argued that it is an arcane spell (Mirror image is an arcane spell) on a scroll. Like I said this is just because I deal with players who are super literal on a day to day basis and this is certainly something that they would bring up.
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2022-05-12 at 02:06 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

You don't technically specify that the scrolls have to be arcane. An artificer scroll of mirror image could realistically be argued that it is an arcane spell (Mirror image is an arcane spell) on a scroll. Like I said this is just because I deal with players who are super literal on a day to day basis and this is certainly something that they would bring up.
    Sure, I'll make the change.

Is the reason why they want an Artificer as the maker of the scroll because the Artificer can just whip up a scroll with any kind of spell with ease? So then they can have a scroll crafting buddy or cohort that can give them the entire spell list in the game?

11. - Top - End - #11

Chimera

Sure, I'll make the change.

Is the reason why they want an Artificer as the maker of the scroll because the Artificer can just whip up a scroll with any kind of spell with ease? So then they can have a scroll crafting buddy or cohort that can give them the entire spell list in the game?
    Yeah. Any spell of any level several levels earlier than anyone else. Artificers are busted for other reasons (they get miracle and Wish scrolls at Lv 7 for example) but as spellbook expanders they would be great if it wasn’t for the neither arcane or divine clause.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Yeah. Any spell of any level several levels earlier than anyone else. Artificers are busted for other reasons (they get miracle and Wish scrolls at Lv 7 for example) but as spellbook expanders they would be great if it wasn’t for the neither arcane or divine clause.
    They can still get a Warlock Imbue Item having buddy I guess.