New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Serpent's Skull: City of Seven Spears [IC]

Okay ......

What went wrong?
    What went right?

Are you intending to show up the following day or giving any soft time, or do you think it's better to "strike while the iron is hot" (if it is)?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Clearly they seemed to accept the spearheads so that worked in our favour. Not being prepared with the spells we were going to use did not... I suggest we wait a day and return with another gift. Diplomacy is a process very different from combat in that it can take a lot longer... Thoughts?" says Book.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Xhanfaerd nods.

"I agree. I, though, do wonder if the gruesome displays are part of their funerary practices, or a way to show off their trophies, which would mean something else. What kind of gift can we afford this time ? Maybe some food to share with them ?"

He plans to look through the inventory to look for another potential gift.
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Book agrees, searches his gear for gift ideas and approaches the head of the camp, explaining what happened thus far, and asking for suggestions for other gifts to make more inroads.
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2024-03-26 at 11:45 PM.

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

After what looks like second thoughts, Xhanfaerd adds.

"I fear they only accepted it because it was convenient, but it implies nothing for them, they won't see us in any other way than potential prey... and proving to them that we aren't would involve some show of force. Which likely would work, still."
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

6. - Top - End - #966

Aron nods her head, though Sersheelda seems chipper as the route of violence is usually her preference.

"Thank you for your insight, Xhanfaerd," says Amivor. "So, the next thing is to determine if you are going to attempt a strike against them, which seems disingenuous ... because we are still ourselves, and need not be like them. Or, if we choose another target, or keep exploring?"
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"I'm not in favour of all-out attacking them. Especially since we have made the effort at peaceful contact. We were not fully prepared when we approached them last. Let us try one more time and then move on. If they attack, we defend ourselves with the full might of righteousness behind our actions. WHat have we observed they have been eating?"

8. - Top - End - #968

Though generally simian in appearance, with their bows they are definitely hunters, and they seem more carnivorous than omnivorous like most primates.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Book then suggests we do a hunt and take fresh kill to them and see if we can determine what they say in response.

10. - Top - End - #970

By lack of response, it seems that the group is behind Book's plan.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Book sets up a few rigs to see if he can catch any maroles. Failing that he’ll ask the camp hunters if they can nab some game and when the crew is ready, proceed back to the simian camp, spells prepped, etc.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

While the hunting party gets ready, Xhanfaerd realises something.

"Maybe we could pick a prey that will prove to them we are approaching them nicely because we can, not because we fear them ? Well, wouldn't they fear the giant crocodile we killed at a great cost already ? Is there still some prey that would work as well ? I think we should see them with proof of our earlier successful hunt if we can."

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Book agrees with that idea.

14. - Top - End - #974

Aron nods at Xhanfaerd and then asks, "And how would we do that?"
    Show

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"Well, the first obvious solution would be to look for the corpse of the crocodile and make a proper trophy out of it. We left it to rot, and are likely able to dispatch any scavenger that would have tried to claim the carcass. We just need the skull anyway, I'd say ? If it fails, well, we could seek another big game in the jungle ? I'm sure there still is some."

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Book nods in agreement and says, ”Lets make it happen!”

17. - Top - End - #977

So, the above are words.

What is the first thing that you do?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Book organises a small party to head to the croc corpse collection place (CCCP). As leader of the group, he designates himself chairman. ”Comrades! For the good of the party and the people! Let us march!” and when everyone is ready, they’ll set out.

19. - Top - End - #979

The party gets to the sight of where the sarcosuchus was dispatched. Its remains in the hot, humid, swamp are horrendous. It was killed on the 25th of Calistril and now it is nearly two weeks later. Even carrion birds got their dig on the monster. Now, necrophagic insects are having their way with what is left of the corpse. Mind you, that which is completely missing is its head. That's not accidental or likely natural, but probably the act of an intelligent third party.

What do you do?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Looking at the others, then at the scene, Xhanfaerd asks.

"Anyone able to get clues from here that could point somewhat in the direction of those that took the skull ?"

21. - Top - End - #981

The group searches the massive remains of the carcass. It seems that many different types of animal and humanoid footprints have come this way, with enough traffic and time lapsed that there is nothing inconclusive.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Okay... This has gotten out of hand. I feel this has become a massive distraction from our main project. Is there any reason we cannot bypass the simian camp and just proceed? Honestly? I've forgotten why became so obsessed with them to begin with?" Book says after a sigh of exasperation.
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2024-04-18 at 05:31 AM.

23. - Top - End - #983

Aron gives you her perspective via the collective...
    Spoiler: Aron >>> Collective
    Show

"Our job is vanguard exploration. We're the 'first' archaeologists and explorers on site, but we won't be the last. We are trying not just to explore Saventh-Yhi, but to pacify regions of it to make it safe for future Pathfinders, and for any explorers that may come, but right now as one of several external factions in Saventh-Yhi (ourselves, the Free Captains, likely the Aspis Consortium, and even the Sargavan government forces), we have to protect our organization's interests.

"To do that, we have to find the main powers of each ancient district. Maybe one group lords over an entire district, or not, we don't know yet. But in this district - the one that seems to have once been the Mercantile District - seems factionalized by powers both monstrous and savage. This dire croc was such a powerful beast, that it seems that unwittingly it was one of the major powers. The flying simians are another, but a bit more intelligent. Likely for the same reason as fear in driving away competition, that strange flooded tower with undead is probably another.

"So, our job is to either make these powers our friends, or to vanquish or chase them off so that we may then 'plant our flag,' so to speak to make the district safe not only for ourselves, but those who come after."

Show

24. - Top - End - #984
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Right... Right... So the Croc skull as a gift should not only help establish friendship, per se, but also show them that we are not to be trifled with. So I think we need to use our best to try to investigate the various tracks and recover it... Thoughts and ideas?" replies Book.

25. - Top - End - #985

Sersheelda blinks and looks at Book. "Cannot. Tracks a mess, and boggy wetness shlump agether. No good tracks. In-con-lucive."
    Show

26. - Top - End - #986
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Book sighs... If Fronaldo were here...

"I'm sorry then, team. I'm at a loss as to how to proceed."

27. - Top - End - #987

Gelik says, "We should go back, and confer with Amivor, I think."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2024-04-22 at 11:16 AM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #988
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Book nods his agreement with that assessment and turns to head back to see Amivor with the group in tow.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Xhanfaerd nods.

"Well, the next target could be the undead tower, but that would mean we'll need spells to go underwater. I can cast a few of those, but that will limit us to short moves underwater. We might be able to get a trophy there, or we go by force against the simians. I don't really like this idea, especially because of they are sentient... but it still is a possibility."

30. - Top - End - #990

The party returns back to Amivor to confer.

And ... go.
    Show