New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Default Re: OOTS #1257 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Ah yes, the only man known to curse.
    One of the only actors I know whom this is their trademark.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

You know, on first read Roy's reaction felt pretty extreme to me. Not necessarily that he would be mad, but just how intensely he reacted and the language he's clearly using behind those telepathy-bubbles. It's jarring to think about main characters in OotS dropping anything spicier than a "goddammit" in conversation, even if I cuss pretty regularly in my own life. I think Kazumi's the only other one we've seen audibly swearing like this, and back then her text was just bleeped out with special characters, which felt a lot tamer.

This is not really that surprising or terrible of a setback, so the reaction seems disproportionate. Watching Miko kill Shojo, dying, Girard's deception in the desert, the Draketooths' deaths, Durkon's death, Durkon's betrayal at the Godsmoot, losing his sword in the pass, Durkon's rogue cleric summit with Redcloak...we've seen Roy react to all of these (much worse) events with more or less stoic grace even if he got a bit sad or angry. I'm not really used to seeing Roy swear like this so it's jarring.

But as I think more about it, I like it more and more. Roy's got to be feeling the stress of all of this. The quest has been an unending conga line of changing priorities and near-impossible odds. Every new development comes with a complication, every victory feels mixed or like it's just delaying the inevitable. The Order really can't catch a break. And now that they've finally spent a whole ton of resources and argument and headaches to broker an alliance with one of the original Scribblers, Roy is hoping to strike while the iron's hot and take maybe their best chance ever at killing Xykon. And then the window closes.

I've been in that position a lot, recently even more so. So tightly wound and stressed out that you bottle it up and then lose it at something that really shouldn't have been the breaking point. It feels very human, very relatable, and I really like the moment. I'd be interested in a bit more of a peek at Roy's psyche here, if the story chooses to go that way for a bit - I feel like there's a valuable exploration there of how being the Straight Man leading the plucky misfits who are saving the world would put an unbelievable amount of pressure on a person. Though I imagine it wouldn't linger there because unpacking the topics of stress and anger can get dark/unfunny quickly.

Maybe this just made a good punchline. Either way, I really enjoyed this strip on a variety of levels!

And yeah, Roy's curses being covered up by the telepathy bubbles is a terribly clever narrative trick. Great pacing in that punchline.
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2022-05-13 at 01:42 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BriarHobbit View Post
    His stress levels are going to go up when the Three Fiends's hit team bypasses Serini's defenses. Of course, with V acting as a spy camera for the Three Fiends, they have no incentive to unleash their team prematurely.
    heh, I like your take on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Shock twist. All the crayon art in the books is actually done by Sunny. Who is the narrator of our tale.
    But he calls the story "My Favorite OoTS" (just as Bilbo called The Hobbit "There and Back Again" ...)
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Same, Roy. Same.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    I've been in that position a lot, recently even more so. So tightly wound and stressed out that you bottle it up and then lose it at something that really shouldn't have been the breaking point. It feels very human, very relatable, and I really like the moment. I'd be interested in a bit more of a peek at Roy's psyche here, if the story chooses to go that way for a bit - I feel like there's a valuable exploration there of how being the Straight Man leading the plucky misfits who are saving the world would put an unbelievable amount of pressure on a person. Though I imagine it wouldn't linger there because unpacking the topics of stress and anger can get dark/unfunny quickly.
    Imagine what being part of, if not leading, the Scribblers did to Soon. I get the feeling they made Elan's hijinks look like 3D chess thoughtful teamwork.
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2022-05-13 at 02:40 PM. Reason: correcting a poorly-thought-through comparison
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

So it seems like the optimal tactic would be to disable the switchovers and fight Xykon alone. For people that know 3.5e well, I have some questions.

If they don't have Sunny, would Xykon be able to just fly away if he thinks he might lose?

Without Sunny, would Xykon be able to render Roy useless by flying?

I'm guessing V would cast dimensional anchor on Xykon to prevent him teleporting away. Is that a sure thing if V isn't exhausted? I'd assume it's easily dispel-able, but Xykon may not have two rounds to escape (or three if V reapplies it immediately after the dispel).

If Sunny is there, Xykon would be able to walk outside the antimagic cone, and cast any spell with a standard action (almost all) before Sunny can move the cone?

If Xykon figures out the spell splitter thing, could he start each turn by walking out of Roy's threatened area (taking an AoO), but then cast unmolested?
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

7. - Top - End - #67

Lizardfolk

Honestly i can see Xykon leaving being almost a good thing, now they can potentially get the jump on the less powerful members of team evil, 'Don't split the party' is a game that works both ways.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by Coppercloud View Post
    Yep! In #1221, after going through the dungeon that they thought the dwarves were in, Redcloak pointed out that "the only logical conclusion is that the door was marked in error somehow" because they were active monsters in there. Then, he said "we need more data to determine the scale of the error with regard to the door marks. If we have the Dark One's luck with us, it'll be a one-off."

Now, they know it isn't. Which might lead to bad consequences for the MitD...
    Oh yeah I forgot that but, it’s been a year since that comic came out so my memory is getting fuzzy.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    One of the only actors I know whom this is their trademark.
    ....you wanna put money on that?

ETA: sorry, didn't see "that I know". Suffice it to say, there are a lot of others.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-05-13 at 04:32 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #70

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Yxylu View Post
    So… for those of us working in transcriptions, what is Roy saying there? I can figure out some of it, and, oh boy. NSFW.
    I see some cluster bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    Honestly i can see Xykon leaving being almost a good thing, now they can potentially get the jump on the less powerful members of team evil, 'Don't split the party' is a game that works both ways.
    Oona will be replacing Redcloak as the Crimson Mantle.
    Last edited by JonahFalcon; 2022-05-13 at 04:28 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'd just like to point out that even though we the readers know that Xykon is separated from his group, Blackwing didn't mention it, and as such the characters wouldn't know about it.
    I like heated water, not heated arguments.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

....you wanna put money on that?
    It's not an unreasonable joke. Samuel L. Jackson is widely known for playing roles where he's a potty mouth - something about having had enough with certain snakes on certain planes comes to mind, for starters.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowhere View Post
    why is xykon going out so bad?
    they will return tomorrow, and can be ambushed again. it will give time to the other to rest, because they also spent many resources in this fight.

yes, ok, I know narrative causality will cause something else to happen.But Roy don't.
    Roy swear for a good reason!
    He might now rationally know it, but just few pages away, there are two junior Sherlock Holmes who are going to get some XPs;

We're going to witness the same secret, kept for 50 years, defeated for the second time in just one hour.
    Reddy, Oona and Grumpydoggo, might in fact spot a suspicious explosion stain on the floor, oddly, precisely cut in half.
    And if you inspect closely what is cutting in half that explosion leftover, you'll spot a tiny line of runes inscribed by a younger Serini.

For our perceptions, instead, it looks like this:

Talky man, deep inside of his, knows it.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rinazina View Post
    Grumpydoggo
    That would be Greyview, amigo.
    You get no treat.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-05-13 at 05:52 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    Who is that crayon-drawn dragon standing next to I assume Kraagor and Serini?
    Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    I assume Serini has told Sunny stories about her adventures, and sometimes you like to draw stuff from stories you've enjoyed.
    Yeah, I figure it's probably something like that. Not everything has to have a hidden meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Roy is officially voiced by Samuel L. Jackson.
    It probably would be odd to have a 73-year-old actor voice a 29-year-old character.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

It's not an unreasonable joke. Samuel L. Jackson is widely known for playing roles where he's a potty mouth - something about having had enough with certain snakes on certain planes comes to mind, for starters.
    Not really? Imean, sure, he's memes about it a lot, but he's hardly the only one, or even the most prolific one (which is impressive, since he's not terribly picky about his roles, to the point that there's a joke in Hollywood - How do you get Sam Jackson to be in one of your movies? You ask him".)

It's like watching someone do martial arts and then saying "well, it's official, Chuck Norris is that person's voice". Sure, he's known for that and has a lot of memes about it, but he's hardly alone.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    If they don't have Sunny, would Xykon be able to just fly away if he thinks he might lose?

Without Sunny, would Xykon be able to render Roy useless by flying?
    Absent Sunny's antimagic ability, Xykon could fly away. However, Haley has a wand of fly, which if she thinks to cast it on the Order would make them faster and more maneuverable than Xykon, who I believe typically uses overland flight due to its longer duration.

I'm guessing V would cast dimensional anchor on Xykon to prevent him teleporting away. Is that a sure thing if V isn't exhausted? I'd assume it's easily dispel-able, but Xykon may not have two rounds to escape (or three if V reapplies it immediately after the dispel).
    We don't really have a good sense for what Xykon's touch AC is like, but I'd guess there's at least a 50% chance of V hitting him with dimensional anchor. However, Xykon is capable of casting either quickened dispel magic (if he knows the spell) or quickened greater teleport, either of which would allow him to escape in a single round should he feel the need.

If Sunny is there, Xykon would be able to walk outside the antimagic cone, and cast any spell with a standard action (almost all) before Sunny can move the cone?
    That depends on how close to Xykon Sunny is. Cones in D&D are a quarter-circle with a radius of a given size; for a beholder's antimagic cone, the radius is 150 feet. If Sunny stays far enough away from Xykon, the edges of the cone will be more than 30 feet away from him, so he won't be able to move outside in a single turn.

If Xykon figures out the spell splitter thing, could he start each turn by walking out of Roy's threatened area (taking an AoO), but then cast unmolested?
    The Spellsplinter Maneuver is something the Giant made up for the comic, so we can't speak with certainty about its mechanics. It's possible that Xykon could move out of Roy's threatened area, either through normal movement or by taking a 5-foot step; on the other hand, there may be some aspect of the Spellsplinter Maneuver feat that allows Roy to move to keep up with Xykon. We won't know until we see it in action.
    Last edited by InvisibleBison; 2022-05-13 at 06:38 PM.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

18. - Top - End - #78

I think we've all been in this moment in a campaign where the party is starting to come up with a solid plan and the DM just casually goes "well, actually..." and derails everything they were thinking of like the players have been derailing the DM's plot.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    I think we've all been in this moment in a campaign where the party is starting to come up with a solid plan and the DM just casually goes "well, actually..." and derails everything they were thinking of like the players have been derailing the DM's plot.
    If this was an actual game, which quite fortunately it’s not, the DM must be a total ass.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Unlikely plot twist: all the crayon drawings in the entire comic are by Sunny.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    If this was an actual game, which quite fortunately it’s not, the DM must be a total ass.
    That kind of depends on whether it's because the DM has just come up with something arbitrary, to spite the players or to keep things on the rails, or if there are factors that the DM had already determined which make that plan infeasible.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Serini had to ruin a good thing. The Order of the Stick's bad luck strikes again.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ha, we were wondering if Senri would ever actually help the party.
    Now that she's on their side Roy just had to get screwed over by timing and now he will blame Senri Sunny and the rest of the party for wasting time.

ALSO SNARL DRAWING
    @Patt

Spoiler: Bleep bloop!
    Show
    "People are ideas." :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, RIP Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling-wordpress-com

T_P_T

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Roy swore! Awesome!

Oh, uh, good strip too I guess.
    Shh! I'm hiding.

25. - Top - End - #85

DrowGuy

Roy completely losing his **** is both refreshing and disturbing, but also equally hilarious.
    The Siggy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tsriel's Characters
    NONE! -

Tsriel's Game(s) DMing
    NONE! -

Tsriel's Private Reserve

26. - Top - End - #86
    Halfling in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

You mean the most popular actor whose most iconic style happens to match Roy's (insofar as Roy has style, or defining features), pulls off convincing combat scenes with two-handed blades (that glow), and has over a dozen appearances playing the straight-faced leader who alternates between corralling chaotic teams and snarking at the absurdity that surrounds him (and even dies fighting the villain, but not directly by their hand, then comes back to life after the remaining party members go on a quest)?

Doesn't sound like Roy. Roy curses a lot. Roy should be played by Jonah Hill. He's the record-holder, after all.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Did you notice when they use the microwave, they hit the "snake" button?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Yeah, I figure it's probably something like that. Not everything has to have a hidden meaning.

It probably would be odd to have a 73-year-old actor voice a 29-year-old character.
    Why not, pretty sure he voiced Afro Samurai. A guy whose primary line is "Shut up."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

You know, on first read Roy's reaction felt pretty extreme to me. Not necessarily that he would be mad, but just how intensely he reacted and the language he's clearly using behind those telepathy-bubbles.
    Roy has spent his life dealing with a problem he didn't create, and he was less than fifteen minutes away from completing his quest. How much longer will he have to wait to get as good a chance again?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    (Masterful storycrafting here, and much more powerful than simple blue language rants or "censored" stamps would have been.)
    Agreed! It's rare that this medium gives opportunities of communication to the audience/reader that simply can't happen in others. (Or rather, it gives those opportunities all the time, but it's rare that the creator takes such skillful advantage of it.)

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    That kind of depends on whether it's because the DM has just come up with something arbitrary, to spite the players or to keep things on the rails, or if there are factors that the DM had already determined which make that plan infeasible.
    I was thinking about stuff like uh, the entirety of the DStP arc for one.

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Roy has spent his life dealing with a problem he didn't create, and he was less than fifteen minutes away from completing his quest. How much longer will he have to wait to get as good a chance again?
    Which is what they literally mentioned right AFTER that part you quoted?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.