New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Sisters' Chronicles Thread 3: Those Nerds

It's scary but also kinda cool.

With Taddeus speaking for them, the group was let in by the two graveguards at the door- heavily armored minotaur-looking creatures, with massive halberds in their hands.

When they entered, they were able to take a better look. There seemed to be a long line of stalls as far as the eye went, which sold clothes, food, equipment for adventuring including potions and scrolls, reagents, toys and so on. Shops were open at this hour- jewelry shops, clothing stores which seemed to be selling higher-end clothing compared to what was available in the main market, bakeries and so on- essentially, the city seemed to be fully open at night.

Which was probably the truth, as many undeads couldn't get around well during the sun. Speaking of which, them and the living mingled about just fine- there were shopkeepers of either kind of creature, and you could see them joke together and laugh. The non-sentient undeads nobody cared about as they kept doing their work, but there were many vampires, mummies, ghouls, ghosts and so on that enjoyed the nightly life.

There were no undead kids, perhaps luckily. At least none that looked undead.

A flameskull was making magic shows for the audience, making people laugh, and on another stage banshees sang people to tears.

Some people even waved to Taddeus.
    "I'm surprised that people aren't afraid of... You know..." Ethrindae let the sentence trail as she looked at a vampire entering what looked like the equivalent of a brothel.
    "Well, there are laws in place. You're going to be much less scared of your neighbors if you know that they'll disappear forever if they do anything bad, and when the punishment for most foul crimes is being turned into a brainless soldier and your soul tortured... Well, the crime rate drops. Of course, this does mean we're in part ruled by fear and only undeads can do jobs that put them in positions of power" Taddeus looked around fondly.

"But it works well enough, as long as we have a ruler that doesn't condone abusing one's power"

Kat looked thoughtful.
    "No living among the guards or nobles then?"
    "Nope. The Lich Queen can enforce her control over all her undeads- she wouldn't be able to do the same with living beings, so they can't do anything of the kind. You can still be well-off" he gestured towards a clothing store that sold long dresses with corsets and spider-y decorations. Its owner, a drider that looked healthy enough to probably be a living being, waved and blew a kiss at Taddeus, making him giggle.

"We used to date. Before the whole vampirization-to-become-a-noble matter"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

"Why should that stop you? She seems still up for it, you seem to like her." Alifa shrugged. "Heck, you own your own estate you could invite her to stay at. Are nobles forbidden from dating for some reason?"
    Boots held Ethrindae tight.
    "Every cell in my body feels personally insulted by this place," she whispered.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

"Being undead is not conductive to relationships" Taddeus said. He took a deep breath.

"It is... Hard to talk to people while wondering wether what you feel is real or if you just remember what it's meant to be. Like what I just did. There's no point to me breathing in before a sentence if my lungs don't work" his voice seemed mournful, but his face was completely neutral.

"Which is why most of us don't" the vampire gestured to all the various happy-looking undeads "We simply try to not get too attached, lest we find out that after all that is not attachment and just habit. The only ones that can be sure they have feelings are ghosts and their kind, as most of them are born by the strenght of said feeling. Even if..." he glanced at two banshees singing a duet.

The bride walked to the hill
    Flowers in her hair, her sister made a crown
    White dress, it belonged to her mother

To marry her sweetheart
    She walked up the hill
    But nobody was there
    She had been left alone

Crying, she turned back
    And it was then she could see
    Her lovely little home
    Darkness descended over it

Monsters snatched family
    Darkness crawling from within
    Love turned to pain
    Destroy, Devour, Darken

That's the darklings' creed
    'Beware, beware the darkness'
    The last warning of the bride
    Before she jumped off the hill.

"...it is hardly ever an happy one"

Boots felt Ethrindae cling to her, her wife burying her face into Boots. But she could feel the tears.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2022-05-18 at 09:09 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Boots held her wife tight. Alifa pulled off to one side to purchase a pair of empty books.
    "I’m hoping to put my research assistant to work in Serendipity’s library while we’re busy with recruitment," she explained.

Neither of them tried to change Tad’s mind about love.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2022-05-18 at 09:50 AM.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

"Assistant researcher...?" Kat looked around, then at Peter, then back at Alifa.
    "Me?"

Peter started waving his legs indignantly at being discarded like that.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Any other shopping you wanna do?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

"No, neither of you," Alifa said. She started casting a spell coyly as they continued.

"Oooh, she's being all mysterious. That means she has something cool to show off. Don't worry, these surprises rarely explode."
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Peter teleported away moping.

"Isn't one of her favorite tactics conjuring a swarm of exploding creatures?"

After about twenty minutes (the city was big and they couldn't go fast without running people over) they came into view of Serendipity's mansion.

Compared to the rest of the city, her home gave an ominous feeling- while the city was made to be accomodating, the building the group stared at was spectral and completely devoid of light, and even with darkvision they could barely make out the outlines of the spiked walls. Atop the gates and the walls demonic-looking statues seemed to stare at the newcomers, and a raised bridge didn't make it possible to walk across- there was moat, the water in it moving lightly from unseen creatures lurking beneath.

Taddeus waved.
    "I, Taddeus Parsimmon Vassimius Emerhet the III, bring renowned guests and friends of the Lich Queen! I beseech passage!"

There was silence, then the bridge started lowering. On the other side, a man clad in black robes with long black hair and a villanious mustache advanced, flanked by four graveguards.

"Taddeus"
    "Parsimmon Vassimius Emerhet the III" Taddeus corrected him.
    "Still hung up on that? It's been years"
    "Why, you got any love for your maker?"
    The man frowned and turned to the group.

"My name's Parsimmon Vassimius Emerhet the II, but please just call me Parsimmon. Or Emerhet"
    "Should take more pride on your noble name"
    "Who are you? Reason for your visit?" Parsimmon pulled out a leather bound book, waiting for the replies. On it a list of names and stuff was written, and they could see him write down Taddeus Parsimmon Vassimius Emerhet the III, to annoy the gatekeeper probably. Also chaperoning some living.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Clephesia brought Tilly forward.
    "Clephesia Elevenyenn, Scion Unseelie, Princess Heir to the Winter Court. Ethrindae Elevenyenn, Princess Consort to the Winter Court. Tilly of the Prismatic Wings, Royal Steed to Her Majesty Princess Clephesia. Alifa..."
    Clephesia paused a moment as Alifa, still casting her spell, sent her a telepathic message.
    "...The Abyss Scar, Princess to the Winter Court. Kathleyîënis. Serendipity knows us, we are allies against the Darkrot here to give her information and seek advice as to our next steps."
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Parsimmon stared, and then wrote down Clephesia Elevenyenn, Ethrindae Elevenyenn, Alifa, Kathleyîënis. To exchange military information with Her Majesty.

"By all means follow me in a straight line. I will take no responsability if you stray off the path"
    "He's kidding, it's just a tactic to make sure people don't try to wander of"

Either way, Parsimmon started heading away. Peter teleported back to Alifa's shoulder. He was still sulking.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2022-05-19 at 08:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Alifa snatched him up and gave him scritches and petsies while she cast and followed.
    Boots brought Tilly up to ride next to Parsimmon.
    "So what was your life like back when you were alive?"
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Peter felt loved again.

Taddeus briefly looked around, frowned, then shrugged and kept going.

"I was a son of merchants- naturally got instructed in the subjects that would let me take over the family business" Parsimmon said "So... Well off, I'd say. But not enough. When there was a trial for a work place in the Lich Queen's mansion of course I joined" he closed his book.

"There is no better purpose then to serve our undying Queen eternally and loyally, while my family enjoyes the prestige I as an undead bring them"

Ethrindae shrugged, now feeling better after the banshee's song.
    "I... Guess he's also doing it with his family in mind?"
    Last edited by Valmark; 2022-05-21 at 07:04 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

"This whole country is weird as heck," Boots said to Ethrindae, not whispering.
    "But it’s also the best defense against the darkrot that’s cropped up."

They rode on.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

"Most living beings are too petty to be able to work together" the vampire sighed "Unless you find a way to stuff their faces into the problem"

Neither of the two elves seemed willing or capable to contradict that.

The entrance was completely dark, but luckily basically all of the group could see in darkness. Except Tilly, so Boots had to carefully steer her through the place unless somebody turned on a light.

The walls were completely devoid of decoration- in fact, there didn't seem to be anything in that castle that was there without a practical purpose. No armors exposed, no carpets, no pictures, no nothing. It didn't look like a place creatures lived in.
    Which perhaps was fitting.

"We do have stables for living mounts" the vampire told them "Otherwise no one will care if you bring your pets inside"

I'm not a pet! Tilly nigghied And please, don't leave me alone in here.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Boots caused her wings to glow (Light Cantrip) to shine the way.
    Plus she wanted to lean into her "forest angel paladin" look as much as possible in this city to annoy Serendipity.

"Tilly comes inside," Boots answered the vampire, petting her mane. "So I can give her all the hugs she deserves."

Clephesia's bizarre chanting continued... her veins were turning black.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

"Living" the vampire scoffed when Boots started pouring light on her surroundings.
    "Is your friend fine?"

"Yes, it's just a spell. I hope"

"Uh. Well, alright then" and with that, trusting in the fact that Taddeus vouched for Alifa, he let the matter drop.

The absolute lack of decor followed them inside, where perhaps predictably undead servitors hurried along the corridors paying them no attention. The entrance opened on a large central room with a spacious staircase they went up, the Steeds and Tilly not particularly struggling with climbing stairs, and noticed that the second floor was an almost mirrored copy of the first. A large room, a big staircase that led up, various doors that led to other parts of the palace.

It was when they got to the third floor that they found themselves in the trone room. Well, it was more correct to call it an audience room- there was a long table with many chairs where people could sit, but no throne or really nothing else dedicated to the Lich Queen, or even to her vassals for that matter.

"She should have already been warned of you entering her castle, the Queen shall join us briefly. Anything I can help you with or get you?"

Show
    Unless for some reason you'd like to postpone that, let's say Alifa can finish her spell before Serendipity comes to talk.

Can we trust things here to be edible? asked Tilly Undeads can't have good taste, right?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Boots passed Tilly a goodberry in answer.

Could I possibly see the library? Alifa asked with telepathy. Even meet Serendipity there?

Spoiler
    Show
    I kinda want to release my monster in the library
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

"Mmm..."
    "She's a fellow wizard, she wouldn't damage books" Taddeus offered "Same for Kathleyîënis"

Kat just smiled, bronze faced.

"Very well. The two of you can follow Taddeus, then" Parsimmon sat at the table where he could keep an eye on Boots, Ethrindae and Tilly.

Show
    Assuming they go with Taddeus...

A short while later, on the same floor, Taddeus led them to the library.
    "This floor has pretty much everything the Lich Queen makes use of frequently. Including the library"

This may have been the only part of the castle that was lit. Since darkvision was good to travel around but not great to see details, white fires hanged low from the ceiling within braizers- they cast an eerie glow, but otherwise worked well.

An old-looking mummy was putting a book in its place as they entered.
    "Yyyyyyyeeeeesssss?" The mummy spoke slowly, dragging the words out in a gravely voice. Didn't seem to be doing it on purpose.
    "Aguelinda! Such a long time!" the vampire swooped in and hugged the mummy carefully, before turning to Alifa and Kat.
    "She's kinda a grandmother to most undeads when they... Struggle with getting accustomed to their new nature"
    "Wwwweeeellllccccoooommmmmeeeee Ttttaaaaadddeeeeuuuusssss" the mummy slowly patted his head, barely reaching it.
    "Aaaaaannnnnddddd wwwweeeellllccccoooommmmmeeeee tttttooooo yyyyyooooouuuu aaaaaallllllll.... Yyyyyyooooouuuu sssseeeeeemmmmm aaaaaallllliiiiivvvvveeeee"

Show
    I will stop writing it like that because it's annoying, but Miriam's gonna keep talking like that.

Basically sounds like an old person with slurred speech.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Alifa's jewel-covered dagger came out and cut into her hand. The blood came out thick and black and churning into a... creature? Of black ooze on the floor. Alifa bent down and pet it.
    "Everyone, say hello to Eddie... my homunculus. Blood of the Abyss Scar. And my research assistant." She took out the journals she'd just bought.
    "While we're on our adventure, Eddie here is going to be researching the Darkrot, Serendipity's party, and the Emotion Primordials. As long as we're on the same plane of existence, I'll know what Eddie knows... in other words, I can be in two places at once." She pet the goo being.
    "Want to say hello to Eddie, Kat?"

Boots found a chair and pulled Ethrindae into her lap. "What do you think our castle should look like?" Boots asked.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

I live Eddie stated in Alifa's mind, and... Gurgled proudly? It couldn't do much more.
    And I'm eager to begin.

Without hesitation, Kat reached out to pet Eddie- she giggled a little when her fingers poked through the goo.
    Hey that tickles!

Taddeus gasped.
    "Marvelous spell. You grew in power and knowledge even more, did you not?"

"Though... Eddie might not be able to research the... 'Emotion Primordials'" Kat said "There's just no information about the Crimson Smile, and that's the only one that is even known"

Ethrindae stroked the forest on Boots' armor.
    "I'm not sure... But I'd like it to be in some lush forest. Where we can live in peace with nature... Maybe a few villages, grown in accordance with druidic costumes?" she proposed.
    "Not that I pretend you to be a vegetarian"

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

"The cult of Abadaius then," Alifa said. "There's plenty of knowledge to be found, Eddie. But wait until we have permission from the mistress of this castle. Until then, let me explain to you everything I already know..." and Alifa filled Eddie, and Kat, in on what Wrath had told her, and on Abadaius.

"You bet we will. The Unseelie will love the change in venue... heck, between me and Verenestra, I bet we could unite the courts again and make a new capital somewhere on Aurora." Boots kissed her. "Why, are druids vegetarian? Lala isn't."
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Alifa noticed that Taddeus was completely out of it, and even Kat struggled to focus and follow her words as she talked about what Wrath revealed to her.

Eddie just soaked everything in.

Spoiler: Don't mind this
    Show
    (1d20)[3]

"Most of us. It's just hard to eat creatures we've been caring for the day before- especially for those that can speak to them. Even if I don't tecnically take power from the nature of this world, I still respect that"

Serendipity teleported into the room. She briefly looked at Boots, then shook her head.
    "Wrong sister"

Then she walked away.

Serendipity barged into the library.
    "My liege" Taddeus bowed, and so did Aguelinda.
    "Welcome, Alifa" Serendipity said with a smile, ignoring the rest of the present people "I trust your travels have been fruitful?"

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Boots frowned after her. "We don't get along," she explained. "Some of my aunts are vegetarian, but I guess I never thought about it. I think you're the only person I'm super close to who doesn't eat meat."

Alifa bowed... shallowly, but there was a bow. She smiled and nodded at Eddie. "They were indeed. I have brought my homunculus here, asking you permission to have him research while I am away. We have... a lot of information on potential allies." She reached into the Portable Hole and pulled out the Ice Giant sword. "What do you know about the frost giants?"
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

"I believe you should observe your sister's next meal of choice more carefully" Ethrindae chuckled shifting on Boots' lap.

"Should we follow the Queen or...?"

"If she hasn't expressed a desire to speak with you, I don't think so. But my job is only to make sure you don't break nor steal anything" Parsimmon stated.

"Savages" Serendipity said "There are traces of a once great society of giants, but it's believed something happened and all those left went mad. At least those that I know of" the Lich Queen mused "I will be honest, I don't know much about giants as a whole, not just frost giants. It is my understanding that Fiamma employs some fire ones"
    Last edited by Valmark; 2022-05-24 at 06:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

"What do you mean?" Boots asked, referring to her statement about Alifa.

"We recently fought with an ally of Abadaius who seems to have had a hand in betraying the Frost Giants' kingdom... and this sword might help us unite them again. I also learned of a demon uprising against Benoth... I believe we would recruit many demons if we overthrew the tyrant. Any factions I haven't mentioned, Kat?"
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

"Your sister is a vegetarian" Ethrindae stated explicitely "She never eats meat and frowns when you talk about eating animals and similar"

Kat shook her head.
    "This is great news" Serendipity laced her fingers together in deep thought "About the frost giants, not the demons. Do you know what's the sword supposed to do?" she stated "Sure, Benoth's a pretty famous demon lord that many would like dead, but that doesn't mean demons would give us their time. And devils and demons would never work together anyway- they hate each other's guts too much. Or do you know something I don't?"

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Boots looked stunned, straight ahead, not speaking. For a good few seconds.

Alifa explained. "This is the sword of the winterlands. The blade was forged to be used by the chief of the ice giants, Rutgert. When Kana was taken over by the agent we were fighting, it was used to seal the entrance to the Winterlands. The Ice Giants lay there frozen, awaiting their hope... and no, I don't know anything you don't about the rebellion against Benoth... But I can introduce someone who might."
    And calling upon her armor, Alifa summoned a single Paladin.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

"Did I say something I shouldn't have?" Ethrindae asked perplexed. It didn't seem like a big deal to her.

Meanwhile Boots felt the presence of a Fiend somewhere.

In the library, Alifa's armor burst open- before it latched close again, a mounted knight burst forth and roughly landed on the ground, the wild mount trashing around.

The knight wore bronze looking armor, with an helmet that seemed to bleed from the holes at the top- it didn't protect his mouth, which presented rows upon rows of lethal teeth and a long, sharp tongue. He wielded two blades and rode atop a wolf-looking large white beast with a bone tail, a deer skull as a cranium with blood dripping from the forehead and demonic horns. The blood wrapped around the beast, trailing after it whenever it moved.

He then looked around.

"Captain Rikrerkoth" the knight dismounted speaking in Abyssal, and made a curt nod towards Alifa keeping his blades close to his chest "Leader of the Third Squad of the Freedom Fighters. This ain't a battlefield, correct?"

"It is not" Serendipity clapped her hands to attract his attention "You're in the library of the Lich Queen. Have you heard about me?"
    "Uuuuuuhm..." He lifted his blades "Would it make you an enemy if I hadn't?" "No" "Then no, sorry. Knowledge of people outside of my plane isn't exactly important"

"Then... What's this about a rebellion against Ben-" "Now THAT I know of" the demon spit on the ground acid saliva, much to Serendipity's evident displeasure "Ever since the great Cykkkrimerix led us in the first uprising, we've been opposing Benoth- we are the voice of the weak, of the downtrodden, the rebellious souls that will forever fuel the fires of freedom!"
    "And... Would you care about helping us?"
    "Of course... As soon as we can call our Ring our home again" Rikrerkoth said "We don't have enough strenght to help others significantly right now"

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

"I just thought she told me everything," Boots said quietly.

"What if it meant fighting alongside devils?" Alifa asked in Abyssal. "We are looking for every ally we can get in a war to end the Darkrot… the corruption of souls seeking to sweep over every plane. I want to help you, but I don’t have the time to spare to run around fixing everything when that might not help our goal."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

"Maybe she thought you knew?" Ethrindae suggested "Or that you'd worry about your own food if you thought it would bother her?"

The deer-wolf growled, and Rikrerkoth sheated a blade -sliding it into his leg, seemingly painless- and soothed it stroking its mane.
    "Calm down, Beris. But you're right" he turned back to Alifa "It's their fault if we're even in this situation! Their fault our ancestral home was torn to pieces! No self-respecting demon would ever side with a devil- there is no such thing as an alliance with those monsters!"
    "The same thing devils say about demons"
    "Lies! There is no way our ancestors would have rebelled had it not been for a worthy cause!"
    "Yes, because all demons are staunch champions of freedom and peace" Serendipity tried to not be too sarcastic.

Kathleyîënis picked a book and started reading, since she was understanding absolutely nothing of the conversation.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah, maybe," Boots still looked disturbed. "Would she hide bigger things from me, you think?"

"Alright. I'd like to help you, but if the devils are willing to aid us without me fighting a war for them I'm going to accept their aid instead," Alifa said flatly. "We won't keep you anymore, you can return home."
    She let the demon go and looked to Serendipity. "Where do you think me and Boots would be most useful? Going after the frost giants? Or recruiting the devils?"
    Show