New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Looking for a rogue-lite game with inheritance features

Something where your characters death is permanent, but something carries over to your new character, be it gold to buy better gear with, or some kind of stat increases, just something that makes starting over a little less difficult each time. Bonus points if it's available on android, but I'm fine if it's just something on Steam or similar platforms.

The only game that doesn't need to be suggested is Hades, as that's what has me wanting something else :).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for a rogue-lite game with inheritance features

Rogue Legacy 1 and 2 may be up your alley. I hated the first one, the second one is apparently an improvement. Still not for me.
    Risk of Rain 2 might also fit the bill?
    Enter the Gungeon is one of my favorites but you sort of need to like bullet hells to really get the full experience.
    Dead Cells, I'm told, is really good. I have it and played a few hours but it really wants for a controller so really need to pick it up on a console.
    I've seen Children of Morta suggested every time I've seen someone saying "I want more Hades, but not Hades".
    Monster Train is a deck builder but I've heard really positive things.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Into the breach is a turn based rogue-lite;
    you command a squad of mechs to defeat kaiju. When you win or lose a game, you get to keep 1 pilot with their unlocked skills. This makes subsequent playthroughs easier since you'll have additional stats or specific bonuses available from the start. You'll also unlock different pilots as you play increasing the pool you can draw from, different pilots benefit certain mech composition better than others.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I found Into the Breach to, much like FTL before it, be way too easy on the regular difficulty and an un-fun RNG slog on anything beyond. Into the Breach is even worse, and also like FTL...I found most of the options I was unlocking to not be very fun or even preferable to the play style I'd already found and enjoyed. None were different enough to make me feel like it was a change in tactics but none were the same enough to make me feel like I could switch without losing a ton.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Hand of Fate has a metaprogression system (that progresses on both all wins and most losses) as one of the most prominent features, though it's not anywhere near as straightforward as "keep all your gold" and it doesn't inherently make things easier (but it does tend to).

I'd recommend the second one over the first.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

6. - Top - End - #6

DwarfClericGuy

I'll also toss out a mention for Warhammer Vermintide 2 chaos waste mode. You play through a series of connected missions, getting bonuses and upgrades for you character as you advance. When you finish or lose you keep 20% of your currency up to 200 for the next round which is enough to let you grab an early weapon upgrade or boon
    Last edited by Thomas Cardew; 2022-05-15 at 10:20 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Outside of the traditional box....Gunfire Reborn for a good FPS roguelight, or The Last Spell for a good tactical one. Slay the Spire is a deckbuilder that's available on android. None of these play anything like Hades though. Hades is pretty much in a league of its own as far as quality goes.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll throw Sunless Sea and Sunless Skies into the ring. Not your regular Roguelike gameplay and aesthetic, but fits the bill nontheless, and they are gorgeous games with a thick atmosphere.

If you die there you can choose difrerent things to pass on to the next character, and you can retire your character voluntarily and pass stuff over.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I play a lot of Roguelites and looking through my list I'm rather surprised by how few meet the criteria here. Roguelites generally give you more options without making you directly stronger. Games like Slay the Spire gives you more advanced cards as you unlock things but don't provide definitive stat upgrades.

Really your best bet for that style is Rogue Legacy 1 and 2. Permanent stat and equipment upgrades that are just straight upgrades and not "here's a different way to play the game".

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

ZHP: Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman is this. Despite the name, it's a roguelike in the same style as Nethack. Each time you enter a dungeon, you do so at level 1, but the levels you have when you die/finish one are stored to make you marginally more powerful over time. There's also a Hero Modification system that lets you influence your base stats (which in turn influence what you gain when you level up). Was a psp game that finally came out on Steam. The humor is a bit zany at times, and also it gets pretty dark. It's by Nippon Ichi Software and it shows.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

On Android there's Otherworld Legends. I've only done a few runs, but it seems pretty good so far.

It's by the same company that made Soul Knight, which I'm told is an Enter the Gungeon clone.

12. - Top - End - #12

There's always Desktop Dungeons. The commercial version has a super in-depth permanent progression metagame thing.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Sands of Salzaar is mostly like this. You have a hero who unlocks various new abilities and bonuses at the end of each run through 'legacy points.' There's not permanent death, but a few defeats in battle will utterly deplete your squad and put you far enough behind the growth curve that you might as well restart. The endgame's kind of weak, but it's an otherwise solid title.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

14. - Top - End - #14

NinjaGuy

If you're still looking, I highly suggest Griftlands. It's like Slay the Spire, a card-battling rogue-like. However, it's a lot more rpg-ish, with a story, branching choices, npcs relationship systems, and of course, a permanent progression system which offers permanent stat upgrades and also perks.

It's a lot of fun, and has some really funny dialogue.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Khay View Post
    There's always Desktop Dungeons. The commercial version has a super in-depth permanent progression metagame thing.
    I tried to download the free trial for this but the link doesn't work for me. You know if they have an alternate site somewhere?