New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Totem Barbarian Reskin Help

I would like to tap the creativity and knowledge of the gamer here for suggestions. I am building a new PC for an upcoming game. I have played a number of classes in 5e, but haven't played a Barbarian yet. Normally I prefer to default to Human, Variant. Normally being the only human in the party and only character without Darkvision. However, I enjoy having some drawbacks in character.

I've decided to switch it up for this new game and play a Kobold instead. I enjoy the idea of a fierce raging Kobold attacking his enemies. I decided to select the Totem Barbarian but I am going to reskin it. Since it did not make sense thematically to me for a Kobold to channel the essence of mammals and birds and deciding to reskin them as Dragons or draconic creatures instead.

I'm looking for suggestions / help to fill in the gaps, maybe suggest better alternatives; since my knowledge of D&D draconic creatures is limited. Here is what I kind of have so far.

Bear - Dragon Turtle/Tortoise
    Eagle
    Elk
    Tiger - Ambush drake???
    Wolf - Ambush drake???

Still working on selection since I do not know if someone is going to be building a tank build or not.

If Tank - Bear, Tiger, Elk
    If Pure Melee - Wolf, Unsure, Elk/Wolf/Tiger
    If Skirmisher - Eagle, Tiger, Elk/Eagle/Tiger

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Totem Barbarian Reskin Help

What about making them different colors of true dragons, as kobolds may perceive them? You may even look at the abilities and switch the color for what fits, instead of simply doing animal = color replacement.

Black: Eagle, Wolf, Bear. Black dragon are sneaky and like to terrify their victims before they kill them.
    Blue: Wolf, Elk, Eagle. Blue dragons like having minions around, and those totems help the party.
    Green: Elk, Eagle, Tiger. Green dragons like to observe their targets from a distance before going for a decisive strike
    Red: Bear, Bear, Elk. Strongest and toughest of the dragon makes natural fit for the toughest and strongest totems.
    White: Tiger, Tiger, Wolf. White dragons are best hunters around, and have the most movement modes out of all dragons.
    Last edited by JackPhoenix; 2022-05-15 at 10:05 AM.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I think you're onto a winner on the first response.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

You could probably reskin the animals as different dinosaurs from Chult?

I don't know of that's the precise theme you want but the idea of channeling a t-rex spirit is... extremely appealing to me.

However I do agree the dragon refluff sounds pretty darn ideal.
    It's time for a preemptive retaliatory strike.

Original online work - I've Been Reborn as a Dungeon Monster?
    Tvtropes

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SociopathFriend View Post
    You could probably reskin the animals as different dinosaurs from Chult?

I don't know of that's the precise theme you want but the idea of channeling a t-rex spirit is... extremely appealing to me.

However I do agree the dragon refluff sounds pretty darn ideal.
    Thanks for the idea. Yea. Not exactly what I'm looking for but a good idea for a Totem Warrior from Chult concept.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    What about making them different colors of true dragons, as kobolds may perceive them? You may even look at the abilities and switch the color for what fits, instead of simply doing animal = color replacement.

Black: Eagle, Wolf, Bear. Black dragon are sneaky and like to terrify their victims before they kill them.
    Blue: Wolf, Elk, Eagle. Blue dragons like having minions around, and those totems help the party.
    Green: Elk, Eagle, Tiger. Green dragons like to observe their targets from a distance before going for a decisive strike
    Red: Bear, Bear, Elk. Strongest and toughest of the dragon makes natural fit for the toughest and strongest totems.
    White: Tiger, Tiger, Wolf. White dragons are best hunters around, and have the most movement modes out of all dragons.
    I like this idea. Though it seems to emulate after being level 14 and making the selections. Do you think the color theme would work as Red Dragon being the replacement for Bear. Green for Elk. White for Tiger.

7. - Top - End - #7

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by metalith View Post
    I like this idea. Though it seems to emulate after being level 14 and making the selections. Do you think the color theme would work as Red Dragon being the replacement for Bear. Green for Elk. White for Tiger.
    Sure. That was the original idea. Blue for eagle. But as I was reading through the totem abilities, I felt mixing it up fits better, and I had harder time to match wolf/elk with black and green.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Velociraptor for Wolf?

Aligator for Tiger (all about the lunge-attack, right?)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sure. That was the original idea. Blue for eagle. But as I was reading through the totem abilities, I felt mixing it up fits better, and I had harder time to match wolf/elk with black and green.
    Gotcha. I get what you mean now. I misread your intent in the way you wrote it. I'm not sure my dm will allow me to mix and match the different animals at each teir but I'll see.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Velociraptor for Wolf?

Aligator for Tiger (all about the lunge-attack, right?)
    LOL. I can see about a dinosaur themes reskined totem warrior using that. Puts idea into bank for a later pc.

11. - Top - End - #11

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by metalith View Post
    Gotcha. I get what you mean now. I misread your intent in the way you wrote it. I'm not sure my dm will allow me to mix and match the different animals at each teir but I'll see.
    For what it's worth, you don't have to pick the same animal across the levels per RAW.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

For what it's worth, you don't have to pick the same animal across the levels per RAW.
    I understand. The description I put at the bottom of my original posting was if I was playing a tank I would take bear at 3, tiger at 6 and elk at 14.