Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default IC Thread: Behave and Beheld [5E]

[OOC]

Spoiler: Context
    Show
    B'Xenon has always thought itself advanced; There are spelljammer-style ships that move between the planets, wireless communication, entertainment broadcasts and factories. They have recently made contact with the wider multiverse, and there is some culture shock happening. Magic was ubiquitous but not that important -- it used to be that the sun produced an anti-magic field during the day (for planets that weren't tidally locked), but that ended when the capsule was punctured. Everything is changing.

Traditionally, B'Xenon was atheistic, with a fervent, xenophobic belief in Oblivion. Now there are new local gods (the deified outsiders who punctured the capsule around the world) and a bit of a landrush of gods with a multiversal presence trying to get a foot in the door. So far, Bahamut has the lead, but fey presences are spreading everywhere, like mildew under the tiles.

Once B'Xenon bristled with police forces, none of them trusting each other, their goals in conflict, each claiming absolute authority but actually wielding exactly as much power as they could scrape together. Now it's the same, except with revolutionary sects.

There's the worshipful dragonknights, the soft-hearted Illarians, the ruthless grease-goblins, the libertines of the Satyr League, and a million nameless groups of suddenly-empowered Beheld trying to figure out who to trust and how to exercise their powers. Many of them are caught and viciously suppressed, but the military is shattered, the police are overextended, and every dead revolutionary seems to birth ten more.

It rains all the time on B'Nxam. It didn't use to; people used to pray for cloudy skies, to hide them from the prying eyes of the Panoptica scrying down from their bases on the moon. It's just that some time recently, those prayers started being answered. Concealment rains down, greasy with fey magic. Intermittently the scarred face of the moon peeps through, and the traffic in the streets freezes or dives under cover, hiding from the moonlight.

At the end of this street is a warehouse; a repository where the endless paperwork of the bureaucratic state goes to rot. But tonight this papercrypt is the temporary home of yet another revolutionary cell: yours.

Knock on the door. Present the password. Pray this isn't another trap or another social club for cowards who like to talk and never do. The revolution has been going on for months now. But for you... the revolution begins tonight, in the pouring rain.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2022-05-16 at 10:15 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: IC Thread: Behave and Beheld [5E]

M'alax the Silent glides "casually" beneath the pergola of the warehouse, pressing as close to the door as possible to escape the chilling rain driving down upon him. The rapid thump, thump, thump of telekinesis sounds against the door, and his lipless maw puts together the password he was taught two days ago.

"Violet eyes see violent ends."

That was the password, right? Some other beheld are floating down the street. Keep it cool. They might be here for the same reason as you, or just going about their business. What's taking so long? Did he need to say it louder?

He hangs there awkwardly, his (armless) black trenchcoat guiding most of the rain around his pale orb, until the water gathers together and drips beneath him like a dog wetting itself. A flesh-tone pink chitin brow scrunches down in consternation, even as his eyestocks droop down to keep the water out of them.

"...Anybody home?"
    Last edited by Seramus; 2022-05-17 at 03:04 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

B'Xli glanced up then continued floating directly down the center of the street as the rain began to fall. He knew that his backpack would prevent his tools from rusting and aside from that, the rain posed no threat to him.

So I should have kept the coat on top after all. Oh well, new area new rules. It won't undue my being wet so no reason to change it now. Next time I will attach it to my pack so it is available or just worn it.

As he approached the door while becoming increasingly soaked, he saw another beheld lurking next to it:

Is he one of the arrangers? An informer? An organizer.

Lacking any other option he "casually" approached the door next to the trench-coated other and "knocked" firmly with his Mage Hand while commenting loudly:

"You may want to work on that blush, I have always felt that Crimson expressions mask crinkled eyes.

Inwardly, he braced himself for the consequences and immediately began studying the awning to see if there were any leaks, or visible joints in a desperate attempt to keep the foremost thought in his mind something other than:

Well, now I find out how on the level this was.

4. - Top - End - #4

Spoiler: Brak'ma Xis
    Show
    Brak'ma Xis, splatter painter extraordinaire
    Lawful Evil Beheld barbarian, path of the battlerager /
    STR 17, DEX 15, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 8, CHA 8/
    AC 15, HP 35/35, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 11, Investigation 11, Insight 9
    Save :STR +5, DEX +2, CON +5, INT -1, WIS -1, CHA -1/
    Special : ADV on save vs spells and magical effect; ADV on dex vs effects that i can see (while not blind/deaf/incapacitated)
    Rage : 3/3 (activation : Bonus action/ Reset on long rest)

Stealthy! Stealth was his only thought as he wasn't one for subtility.
    Of course his smooth purple skin alone clashed with the decor, but his weapons tingling on every hard surface wasn't helping.
    Every inches of his being was as quiet as a rusty door being opened for the first time in centuries.
    Brak'ma arrived in front of the rendez-vous building but realised something and mumbled "What was I suppose to do once i got here?"
    He stayed right in front of the door for a good minute without budging, at least this time noise wasn't a problem for his stealth. Brak'ma smiled at the thought.
    "Screw the password"
    He started knocking violently on the door so someone would answer anyway.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

M'alax slowly spins around in the air until he faces B'Xli, and the thunderously loud Brak'ma. Was that a different password, or was this person offering makeup advice? Well, he should play along just in case. So, with a kind of masculine stoicism, he utters the words...

"I was worried too much foundation would ruin in all this rain, but it's good advice. Thank you."

Wow. That guy was really going to town on the door!
    Last edited by Seramus; 2022-05-17 at 08:32 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

DruidGirl

The door is wrenched open violently by a green Beheld with an irritated expression; at least, the slice of expression through the door is irritated, The rest of it is probably similar.

"Keep it down, will ya!?" His eye rolls from right to left. "Well, one of you three knew the password, so if one of you is a traitor we're already screwed. Just get in here and keep it down."

He pulls away from the door and allows you to enter. In addition to his green skin he has tiny little horns, hinting at mixed N'ban and N'Xenian heritage... a little bit of cranky from the greasegoblin side, a little bit of drama from the Dreamer side.

"I'm W'zwzxi. We're waiting for a couple of others, hopefully..."

7. - Top - End - #7

Show
    AC 15, HP 35/35, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 11, Investigation 11, Insight 9
    Special : ADV on save vs spells and magical effect; ADV on dex vs effects that i can see (while not blind/deaf/incapacitated)

Seemingly happy that the door opened, Brak'ma entered "Do not be flustered my friend W'xi, there was a door in the way, it isn't anymore. What do you want kept down? I can help you with that"
    Brak'ma took a moment of reflexion "That's not it, W'grri..." It slapped its cheek, its turn to be flustered "I'll call you Xi instead, you talked about a traitor? You found it, I thought I was here because I'm a traitor to the police, no?"
    Thinking again and with a thunderous laugh it continued while going furthur inside "I'll leave the thinking to others, too much trouble, hurt the head you see!"

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGuy

"Hold the door" Red calls out gliding towards the group. "I don't want to miss out on all the fun" Rex is large for a beheld hovering at least 6 inches above the others.

He quickly shuffles up to the door. "Um password, password. Would you believe I left it in my other suit?" he asks shrugging.
    Last edited by clash; 2022-05-17 at 11:54 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

B'Xli shuddered in response to the initial Beheld.

How do I continue a conversation I know absolutely nothing about?!

Fortunately he was saved from having to answer by the interruption of the door being opened but the statements by their host flummoxed him yet more:

Was my recruiter the traitor? Was this a test? I have no way of knowing now but will have to be more observant in future...perhaps refrain from analyzing the construction of the table since it may be possible I misremembered it...or not.

"Xi...yes, that will be my name. I see that the door is now open."

He quickly followed the garrulous painter inside and away from prying ears.

"I find I did not catch your name (or anyone else's), how do you wish to be addressed, Spiky One?"

Upon hearing the inquiry from red he stopped in shock then continued while reminding himself.

I am in over my head...all of my possible companions are so skilled at appearing incompetent they must be masters of deception. I will have to improve my efforts.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

M'alax floats in through the door with the rest of the crowd, using a bit of telekinesis to rustle his trenchcoat and shed some of the water once they were all inside and out of the rain. A quick spin sends fabric and droplets fluttering!

"Sooo... I think most of us are here to discuss The Truth. And do something about it. Am I right?"

A simple question, but he gives each of these strange fellows a scrutinizing eyeball. The new guy left his password in his other suit? Can he be trusted with sensitive information in the future? No matter. He had to trust somebody eventually. He had tried going it alone for a while, and it just didn't work. He needed people. Maybe them. Let's give it a shot.

11. - Top - End - #11

NecromancerGuy

Rex takes in the others with mild interest. If these were to be his team then he should at least try to get to know them. Honestly though he just wanted to know when he could start shooting.

"The name's Rex. Can't say I really care about discussing the truth so much as doing something about it. I've been itching to get to work since I had my... Let's call it a disagreement with the military"

12. - Top - End - #12

Show

Brak'ma started juggling with its doublescimitar, its attention seeming elsewhere though it answered "You can call me Brak'ma my little appetizer and as Rex just said, doing something about it is what i'm here for. Chaos is only beautiful on a canvas, i'm tired of it in real life and though not that bright i may be, i'm not stupid enough to think i can change anything alone"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

A beheld watches the others walk up from an alley across the street. When they appear to have been let in safely he checks some paperwork before floating up. Shrugging, he puts it away, then knocks. "Was told 'Scarlet splatters leave no Sight,' but I think someone's been running me for a joke. 'Cided I might as well show up; who with connections stoops to this stuff?"

14. - Top - End - #14

DruidGirl

As soon as Ag'zear arrives, W'zwzxi shuts and bolts the door with his telekinesis, showing the long-distance fine control characteristic of N'bu.

"All right, that's everybody we were expecting," he says. "So. You guys are interested in doing what you can to stick a finger in the eye of the Panoptica. Great."

"I've got a mission looking for guys just like that. All the way from the top -- from Commander M'Ta himself." He speaks the name of a Beheld commander who turned against the government when their plan to bomb the afterlife turned sideways and almost killed everyone, then assisted the Outsiders in shattering the capsule around the system. He's become a bit of a legend as a revolutionary leader, operating from his command ship, moving around the system like a shadow.

(You can make an insight check to determine if this guy has ever been in quinting distance of Commander M'Ta.)

15. - Top - End - #15

Show

Brak'ma looked behind, curious at the door. You're not getting the better of me next time!

"I'm certainly not one for waiting, my brushes are going to paint the way toward a better future!"

Brak'ma stormed toward the door but stop a few feet from it, coming back where it was. "Forgot the mission... what was it already mr Xi?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

This Wizwizni figure doesn't seem to be lying. At least, he seems to think he's telling the truth. Does that mean... could that mean... A small explosion of joy swells up inside the equally small M'qa, and he blurts out a little too eagerly.

"Commander M'Ta? They... they're a legend! And yes, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to stop the people who... lied to me for so long. If this mission is important to M'Ta, then it's important to me."

The trenchcoat wearing ball of chitin utters this with the determination of someone who might have something personal at stake. Then he slowly spins in place, his eyestalks searching the expressions of those that came in the door with him. Were they willing to do what it takes?
    Last edited by Seramus; 2022-05-18 at 03:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

NecromancerGuy

Rex was looking the sounds of this. A mission from the legendary commander M'Ta. From what he knew of M'Ta that guy knew how to have fun. He could use a mission of that scale. "So what kind of mission do does the commander have for us? Who do we get to gun down? My eyeball had been itching for action"

He could feel the anticipation rising. He just needed a target and he was ready to go.
    Last edited by clash; 2022-05-18 at 04:50 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

B'Xli winced when W'zwzxi named Commander M'Ta. He had already decided he was in and names being dropped just made them more vulnerable and himself more of a target.

He turned to Brak'ma (who fortunately had not yet opened the door) and frantically searched for a way to keep him occupied and not in the street...of course.

"Good sir, he has not yet given us the mission. I believe he is giving you the opportunity to immortalize this first missions award in a painting (with faces suitably obscured)."

Returning his attention to W'Zwzxi he focused on him closely:

"I would also welcome the opportunity to get engaged. Where and when do we need to go?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Ag'zear grimaces. "Hey; if the Panoptica is willing to stick it in our eye then fair's fair. If we could get the details sorted out?"

20. - Top - End - #20

Show

Spoiler: Quick note :
    Show
    Yes, Brak'ma is eventually going to call everyone Xi, its not going to try pronouncing Xli, but if you insist, its going to try

Giddy, Brak'ma took its place a little furthur to get a good picture for future painting. "You're absolutly right! I need to focus and immortalize this moment!"

21. - Top - End - #21

DruidGirl

W'zwzxi looks around the room at his troops. "Okay. As you may have heard, B'nxam is under an interdict by the Rebel Navy. That means their power center on the moon is being supplied strictly from the surface."

"We've been able to identify one of their major supply depots, not far outside of the city, and a big shipment is scheduled soon. If we can destroy or compromise these supplies, it would be a huge coup for us. We can starve the bastards out -- they can't spy on us from up there without food, water, air... and there is technical equipment they use for their scrying, too. Not to mention the spelljammer shuttles, those are expensive to replace or repair."

"It would be best if we could infiltrate the depot and secretly damage or ruin the supplies. That way they waste the time and fuel taking useless crates up to the lunar base and can't replace them until it's too late. But outright destroying the supplies is a good consolation prize."

"I recommend the less stealthy folks start a decoy attack -- draw attention away from the supplies so the sneaks can get inside, then 'retreat.' But if things get out of hand," he bobs slightly, a Beheld shrug. "Kill 'em all and burn it down."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: Quick note for Sirithhyando
    Show
    No worries. He actually prefers to be addressed as Mr. Xi since it means that he is less likely to be accidentally identified in front of someone else who survives and could turn him in.

B'Xli aka Mr Xi (aka the great poohbar) grinned as his eyestalks began twitching:

"What types of supplies are we discussing? Food? Fuel? Parts? Munitions? Items?"

He visibly tried to calm himself then continued:

"This is going to be fun. Do you have a map or any other information about the depot? How far it is from here, how many guards have been seen there, if there is any equipment that we should borrow etc?

He glanced around and shrugged at the observation regarding stealth:

"As near as I can tell, two of us look fairly stealthy and only one looks decidedly not so. Also, I may be able to assist some with that aspect if we can wait until tomorrow...depending on how soon the supplies will be sent."

23. - Top - End - #23

Show

Brak'ma positionned itself upright its eyestalk saluting "Yes sir! It shall be destroyed!"
    It turned toward the door and rushed at it, turning toward the others "Hum... just so i'm sure i understand, I'm the stealth and you're the diversion, right? And who would take the lead in this operation? Xl...Li...XL..." sigh "Mr. Xi already seems to know what he's doing, i'm not sure i would've thought of asking where the warehouse is, he's brilliant!"
    Last edited by Sirithhyando; 2022-05-19 at 09:58 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

M'alax floats around beside B'Xli as they rattle off their questions, and he nods along intently.

"I don't know anything about spoiling munitions or parts, but I can help spoil the food and air supplies. We can put something in several of the foodstuffs, and break the sterilization for the rest. That way some of them get sick, and they get real paranoid about the rest also making them sick. They won't know what's been tampered with, and might have to waste weeks sorting it out!"

He spins around slowly, eyestalks staring into empty space the way anyone does when they are deep in thought.

"We'll need a pressure pump to put things in the air. Completely empty some, and put sulfur stink in the rest? Same idea. Oh, and we can use a little paintbrush and paint the dials to look like they still have air in them."
    Last edited by Seramus; 2022-05-19 at 03:27 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

NecromancerGuy

Rex mulled over the plan a bit in his head. He had done stealth missions for the military I'm his training and he wasn't bad at it. They tended not too see very much action though. If they intended to get in and out without being noticed then he could count action out entirely.

"I volunteer for the diversion team. I can do stealth if you really need it just seems kinda dry to me."

He shrugged Honestly, he was good at following orders... Until he didn't.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: B'Xli Statblock
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    , Shipwright
    Chaotic Neutral Beheld Wildfire Druid
    STR 12, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 12, WIS 16, CHA 8/
    AC 15, HP 24/24, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 15, Investigation 11, Insight 13
    Save :STR +1, DEX +2, CON +2, INT 3, WIS 5, CHA -1/
    Special : ADV on save vs spells and magical effects
    Wild Shape/Wildfire Spirit: 2/2 activation : Action/

The druid pauses at the responses of the monk and warlock then responds appearing to try and force himself to pause and consider as he speaks:

"Those are aspects I had not even considered Shadowy Malicious One...Mal I guess and suspect would be very effective."

Turning to Rex he continued:

"I was inclined towards trying to avoid all need for a diversion as anytime you cause trouble, guards come fairly soon thereafter to check limiting time available. I had hoped to utilize members' knowledge of shipping practices, knowledge of government practices, ability to camouflage the group, ability to insert toxins while mending tears, ability to forge swap and repaint labels to swap destinations or contents, ability to spoil using heat and other skills."

He scans across the group as he names off these desired features then bobs in a shrug:

"So that is my vote. It appears that Shooter? is voting for a diversion squad and an entry team. If we do a split team, I would ask to be on the entry team, likely with Mal. Oh, I can also go by Xi if desired as it is close enough to my name or Sparky if you prefer."

27. - Top - End - #27

DruidGirl

W'zwzxi replies to the questions each in turn:

"What types of supplies are we discussing? Food? Fuel? Parts? Munitions? Items?"
    "A little bit of everything. This is their monthly supply run, so it should be mostly routine re-stocks of the essentials. They've had to hold off the blockade, so there should be munitions for the surface-to-space cannon in there; any needed parts or fuel for their scrying magitek; and of course food, water and air."

"This is going to be fun. Do you have a map or any other information about the depot? How far it is from here, how many guards have been seen there, if there is any equipment that we should borrow etc?
    "Yes, other cells have done that information gathering work already. The depot isn't that complex, it's mostly a big warehouse with a small shuttlepad attached to one side. It looks like no more than five guards patrol the grounds. I can supply transport to take you there."

"Also, I may be able to assist some with that aspect if we can wait until tomorrow...depending on how soon the supplies will be sent."
    "We have a little time, but not a lot... I recommend you gather your supplies and make any arrangements you need to tonight, then act tomorrow."

"And who would take the lead in this operation?"
    "You can assign whoever you want the lead within your cell. Our goal is a less hierarchical world, we don't want to micromanage your affairs."

"I was inclined towards trying to avoid all need for a diversion as anytime you cause trouble, guards come fairly soon thereafter to check limiting time available. I had hoped to utilize members' knowledge of shipping practices, knowledge of government practices, ability to camouflage the group, ability to insert toxins while mending tears, ability to forge swap and repaint labels to swap destinations or contents, ability to spoil using heat and other skills."
    "You're not wrong. But if you bet it all on a stealth mission and the guards do find you, then they definitely know we've tampered with their goods. A diversion allows them to feel like they repulsed the attack, but they never find out about the stealth group. It's a way of hedging your bets. It's up to you."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

At the mention of painting on dials, Ag'zear bobs himself. "If we know what the dials look like, preprepared covers will be quicker to apply and look better than paint. I ask because I might be able to whip some up. But count me in the diversion team when we start acting."

After a moment's pause he continues. "I wish we did have time to swap out some of the supplies and find a...poor family...we could offer the food too. Oh well, I suppose."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

M'alax allows a broad toothy smile to fill his torso as Ag'zear offers an even better idea.

"That's perfect. And who knows, maybe we can swap some shipping manifests and send junk to the moon and needed supplies somewhere else where they can be easily taken. I dont know if they even ship to multiple places, or just to the moon, but we can do it if the opportunity presents!"

"I'm ready to start prepping if everyone else is."

The little beheld was, perhaps, overly optimistic.
    Last edited by Seramus; 2022-05-20 at 12:57 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: B'Xli Statblock
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    , Shipwright
    Chaotic Neutral Beheld Wildfire Druid
    STR 12, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 12, WIS 16, CHA 8/
    AC 15, HP 24/24, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 15, Investigation 11, Insight 13
    Save :STR +1, DEX +2, CON +2, INT 3, WIS 5, CHA -1/
    Special : ADV on save vs spells and magical effects
    Wild Shape/Wildfire Spirit: 2/2 activation : Action/

"It sounds like we are planning on a split party then with three on infiltration and two on diversion. If you have any vials or areas to secure them I am looking to stock up on about 10 to take with me along with some oil and possibly pitons. Other than that, I will need to get some rest and desire to pay a final visit to the sewers before we go in the morning to collect some samples. Other than that, I am ready. Do any of you wish to visit the site this evening to view it in advance and or prepare such forged items and misdirection as discussed? Otherwise, I would suggest we go in in the early morning around 4-5 AM so the on shift guard is exhausted."

With a final look at W'zwzxi he bobbed his head at M'Alax:

"I am also inclined to start preparing. If anyone desires, I can give a list of what spells I am and am not preparing for input or planning."

Spoiler: Spell Plans
    Show
    He intrinsically has Cure Wounds, Burning Hands, Flaming Sphere and Scorching Ray.
    I can prepare 6 spells and am planning on: Pass Without Trace (Stealth), Detect Poison and Disease (find sabotage agents in sewer), Jump (for entry if needed), Fog Cloud (for escape), Create and Destroy Water (for sabotage) and probably Entangle to hinder movement.