1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: IC Thread: Behave and Beheld [5E]

Spoiler: Brak'ma Xis
    Show
    Brak'ma Xis, splatter painter extraordinaire
    Lawful Evil Beheld barbarian, path of the battlerager /
    STR 17, DEX 15, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 8, CHA 8/
    AC 15, HP 35/35, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 11, Investigation 11, Insight 9
    Save :STR +5, DEX +2, CON +5, INT -1, WIS -1, CHA -1/
    Special : ADV on save vs spells and magical effect; ADV on dex vs effects that i can see (while not blind/deaf/incapacitated)
    Rage : 3/3 (activation : Bonus action/ Reset on long rest)

Are you sure? My blade went through them, surely we can just run through them?

2. - Top - End - #62

NecromancerGuy

Rex hears his orders and automatically falls into place, his time in the military allowing him to do so without thinking. He moves away from the gate and towards the gap but not without taking the chance to see if he could blast one of these new enemies. He took in the closest one and blasted a ray from his eye towards it.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

B'Xli called to Braxma as he began to summon the Wildfire Spirit:

"They wouldn't block the gate like that if they didn't have a way to enforce it. It may mean that they drain us as they pass or just chase us. Hopefully, they don't chase us out the other exit."

4. - Top - End - #64

Show
    AC 15, HP 35/35, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 11, Investigation 11, Insight 9
    Special : ADV on save vs spells and magical effect; ADV on dex vs effects that i can see (while not blind/deaf/incapacitated)

Oh, that's a smart thinking!
    Brak'ma race toward his companions for the escape.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dash

5. - Top - End - #65

DruidGirl

As Brak'ma races away, B'Xli finishes summoning the wildfire spirit, and a burst of flame cremates a couple of the guard corpses and destroys the injured spectre.

Although all four of the survivors were scorched by the burst of flames, they seem to have only grown more solid and dangerous in the time since they were summoned.

Two of them glide away towards Rex and Brak'ma, passing through the gatehouse and along the fence to stand between you and the woods. The other two zoom towards B'Xli and attack with their chilly immaterial touch.

The door into the warehouse opens and the pilot of the cutter, woken from his sleep upstairs by a Message spell and finally having struggled into his uniform and found his weapon, staggers blearily outside. He looks at Rex, B'Xli and Ma'lax, suspiciously, then past them to the smoky spectral warriors and screams, dropping his firearm.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2022-05-31 at 01:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: Statblock
    Show
    B'Xli, Shipwright
    Chaotic Neutral Beheld Wildfire Druid
    STR 12, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 12, WIS 16, CHA 8/
    AC 15, HP 0/13, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 15, Investigation 11, Insight 13
    Save :STR +1, DEX +2, CON +2, INT 3, WIS 5, CHA -1/
    Special : ADV on save vs spells and magical effects
    One Failed Death Save
    Wild Shape/Wildfire Spirit: 20/20 HP activation : Action/

B'Xli looked up in concern as the shadows raced towards him then his expression turned to horror as the first one's cold touch gripped him. He staggered as he glanced at the wildfire spirit and opened his mouth to speak...but collapsed as the second one also plunged its icy ghostly hands into his heart.

As he fell, the wildfire spirit darted along the ground until it stood just behind the spectres. It then vanished in a small sheet of flame but reappeared almost at the gate of the fence.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    He failed his Death Save. Wildfire moves to I13 then teleports to I16 forcing both of them to make a DC 13 dex save or take 4 (halved to 2) fire damage.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

M'alax swivels some eyestalks around and watches B'Xli crumple beneath the literally withering assault of the spectres, and every muscle in his sphere clenches with urgency. Gotta crack it, gotta break in, beheld are counting on... YES! With a single barking laugh of triumph, the loading bar reaches 100%. The ship was his. He hopes.

"Uh, can you carry him? Drag him onboard?" He shouts towards Agzear. Those N'ban were good at lifting and moving things, right? Was that racist? Probably. But Agzear did look pretty large and imposing. "I'll try to help."

One eyestalk blinks at the screaming pilot. Another watches the firearm slowly topple to the ground. I mean, it's just sitting there, right? A quick snatch of telekinesis yoinks it away from the ground beneath the pilot and into M'alax's orbit. Oh wow, that actually worked.
    Last edited by Seramus; 2022-05-31 at 02:56 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sure, but I don't have much to help if these things try to keep attacking us." Ag'zear expends the resources to shift B'Xli onto the cutter, and takes up a position next to the unconscious ally.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Action used for Telekinetic Movement and Ag'zear boards the cutter if able. Hopefully we can get away before everyone goes down.

9. - Top - End - #69

NecromancerGuy

Rex smiled. The spectre could be hurt like anything else, just maybe not with weapons. Add they closed in on him he retreated back carefully set up his shot and blasted the spectre with a well aimed blast. That one had to hurt.

As Malax moved the cutter to meet him, Rex climbed up with the rest of them. "Thanks for the ride. You're right on time"

10. - Top - End - #70

Show

Brak'ma get its speed on toward the Cutter. Jumping on it, it looked back, saddened.
    My caneva... couldn't put those thing that by blade passed through.

11. - Top - End - #71

DruidGirl

The spectres eye the escaping cutter furiously and shriek.

The two beyond the fence plunge into the woods, perhaps looking for your vehicle or any accomplices; the three still within the compound surround the wildfire spirit and extinguish it.

Momentarily spared, the pilot yelps and dives back inside the depot.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

Show
    B'Xli, Shipwright
    AC 15, HP 0/13, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 15, Investigation 11, Insight 13
    One Failed Death Save, One success
    One Wild Shape used

The wildfire spirit vanished under the combined attacks of three reinforced spectres while about the ship, B'Xli moaned briefly as he continued to shallowly gasp for breath and twitch convulsively.

Spoiler: Situation
    Show
    One fail, one success. Otherwise, will be sitting this one out and observing until healing happens.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

M'alax shouts back to the collected rebellion operatives, "Anyone able to take control? You just need to press UP and FORWARD on the eyepad, unless you actually know how to pilot this thing. I can look after the fallen."

And, if anyone is willing to accept the EyePad hacking device from him, he swishes across the cutter's deck and locks several eyestalks on the wounded B'Xli. One of them does nothing but scrutinize the injury, another judges his appearance and finds him lacking natural beauty, while a third pulses with a soft violet glow that induces a metabolic stasis - stabilizing the wounded.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spare the Dying Eyebeam on B'Xli.

14. - Top - End - #74

Show

Nothing i can do at this distance, i'll take on piloting.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not much use at range either." Ag'zear gives a loud sign of relief when M'alax stabilizes B'Xli.

"Shame the pilot got away." He turns to M'alax and continues, "You manage to ruin much of it?"

16. - Top - End - #76

NecromancerGuy

"I guess that's my cue." Rex moved to the hardpoint in anticipation. He had never gotten to fire one of these before, but how hard could it be. He liked up his shot planning on finishing off the weakened spectre. Ready, aim and fire!

He was thrown back by the unexpected recoil impact. He landed a direct hit but it wouldn't have mattered if he didn't. The spectre was obliterated along with everything around it. "Hot damn!" he shouts out. "I think I'm in love"

17. - Top - End - #77

DruidGirl

The two remaining spectres below hiss and dart towards the depot, vanishing through the walls. The field around the warehouse is empty, except for the dead guards and the huge cargo ship parked nearby. You know, however, that there still remains one spectre, heading into the woods towards the beast-drawn cart you took here. It is hidden now behind the foliage.

The sunrise is beginning glow muddily around the cloudy horizon.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Most of it. We did a good job spoiling things, and then discovered... some kind of magic thing. A crystal sphere with a beheld skull inside. I think we pissed it off, because it belched out all those ghosts!"

M'alax begins floating about, sideways, upside down, checking all over the ship for any medical supplies. Wasn't some basic stuff standard issue on these cutters?

"And yeah, I smashed it really hard, but it didn't even make a scratch. Not that my TK is especially strong."

His large central eye was starting to look a little bloodshot concentrating on the Pass Without Trace.

"Never uh muffled an entire ship before. This is rough."

‐----------------------------------------------------------
    Spoiler
    Show
    16 on Investigation w/advantage to find the First Aid Kit.

After rummaging through poorly secured fire extinguishers, reflective triangles, a road flare, and discarded candy wrappers, M'alax emerges with a dirty white box with a red beheld heart drawn on it.

"Aha! I almost forgot where they hide them, since new officers like to sell them for extra credits."

He pops it open and pulls out a large, intimidating syringe full of sloshing red fluid. Then he plunges it straight through a gap in B'Xili's carapace like an adrenaline injection!
    Last edited by Seramus; 2022-06-04 at 10:14 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Show
    B'Xli, Shipwright
    AC 15, HP 10/13, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 15, Investigation 11, Insight 13
    One Wild Shape used. 1/4 LVL 1 slots used.

B'Xli moaned as the spectral fingers reached out to grasp him again...only this time instead of freezing him they poked him...hard.

"Ghosts with bones to pick with me?"

Shaking himself he opened three eyelids and saw M'alax bending over him with the needle.

"Where are the...Are we in a...Who is flying it?"

Crossing and uncrossing five of his eyestalks allowed him to see: no spectres, what appeared to be the inside of a cutter, and someone else nursing it along in zeroth gear. Shaking a little, he focused and focused as much of his adrenaline inwards as he could till he felt the familiar burn of some of his wounds closing. He then tried to hop into the pilot's seat and start steering it over the woods.

"Any port in a storm...Any other port in a storm that is."

He frantically tried to pull it out of the port biased downward slide he had started then asked in the general direction of the others:

"Where did we decide to go and are we keeping this or ditching it?"

Spoiler: Situation
    Show
    Cure Wounds for 5 HP. Potion for 5 HP. Piloting check at 9 for a very poor result. Pending GM decision on how poor it is.
    Last edited by Thrasymedes; 2022-06-04 at 04:08 PM. Reason: HP Update

20. - Top - End - #80

NecromancerGuy

"Oh this is a keeper" Rex insists. "I aint never felt love like I did today shooting this thing" He checks the sights again trying to spot a live target before resigning himself to experiencing it again another time. "Could come in handy on missions too" he states supporting his position.
    Last edited by clash; 2022-06-05 at 12:18 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81

DruidGirl

You rocket away, getting a blurred impression of your cart and the remaining spectre as you streak over the woods.

You have gotten away, although not absolutely clean -- they will certainly know the base was attacked, and there is no plausible argument to think you were frightened away without reaching the supplies. They also have your cart, which hopefully can't be traced back to anyone!

Your path did not bring you in exactly the right direction; but the city still lowers on the dawn horizon, it can't be that hard to navigate back.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Nobody is... well, I suppose you are flying it! As for ditching this thing, we probably should. I can look around the system for electronic GPS, but the big eye in the sky probably keeps hard trackers, and cutters are not exactly hard to see when the rain and clouds break."

M'alax has had a busy day. Infiltration, sabotage, necrotic enlightenment, resuscitation, hacking, what's digging around a mostly unfamiliar system looking for spyware? So, with just a hint of being entirely out of his depth and paygrade, M'alax gets back to his electronic EyePad and starts rooting around. Who knows, maybe they bought their tracking software from some big company with an obvious name and install location.

After several long minutes of manipulating the electronic hacking software, he gives a suspicious glance around the ship.

"Alright, I managed to disable the obvious anti-virus and tracking software. I didn't find anything physical on the ship, but we should still probably be cautious about it."
    Last edited by Seramus; 2022-06-05 at 01:54 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Frantically stabilizing the ship, B'Xli brought it to a hover then turned to the others:

"M'alax, if you think you disabled the tracker, I am inclined to try to keep this but at a location away from the warehouse. If anyone has an idea where to stash this, please let me know. Additionally, they are going to know that we made it in, so I think we need to give them a different story. If all of you like the idea, I propose we go back right now with me and Rex in this as overwatch since it can handle everything yet encountered easily if needed. I can take over the camouflage on the ship to let you rest from that while Brakma, Agzear and possibly you go in and grab 1-2 of the power cylinders and take them away in the cart we came in. You return to the warehouse with those so it appears we just came to steal things. Meanwhile, Rex and I take the ship and stash it somewhere. If none of you have any ideas, can the hardpoint be used to boost the range of your mind speech Rex so we can fly to the vicinity of the warehouse without revealing it and ask for recommendations from our contact? Speaking of which, what all can the hardpoint boost? Can it boost Mage Hand or spells like Scorching Ray?"

Taking several breaths after this long explanation, he paused and readied himself to take over the camouflage role and then operate the ship to take it wherever the party decided.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    He is prepared to cast Pass Without Trace to give M'alax a break and will make a piloting check to fly the ship as soon as it is decided where to take it. If leveled spells can be cast he may suggest opening the main access door at D6-10 to really make a mess with it.

24. - Top - End - #84

NecromancerGuy

"Whoa slow down. No need to talk like a full speed craft. Let me get a word in" Rex waits a breath to ensure B'xli is listening. "The hardpoint will work for all of that but it's taxing on the power. Can't say how much. All stuff we learned in the academy."

Rex stats sizing up the ship size to answer his other question. Where could they stash this? Rex knew how place couldn't be used discreetly. Ever since his court martial they had been keeping a distant eye on him. "Good call on the resistance. Probably our best hope for stashing this"

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

M'alax thinks back over his time working as a Watcher for the Panoptica, and how long it took for police cutters to respond whenever someone needed them to come. He knew they didn't have long. You don't become an oppressive police state without the police doing some effective oppressing. But he gives a quick nod to the plan.

"A couple power cylinders would be useful if we plan on keeping the cutter."

He wondered if the phantoms were still lurking about. Or if the pilot he saw was still alive.

"Let's do it."

26. - Top - End - #86

DruidGirl

Getting the hang of the controls, B'Xli navigates back to the depot without issue. Flying over the woods outside you see your cart still hidden in the woods and your beast injured but still standing, with no sign of the spectre. Tough beast.

There is no sign of the pilot or the spectres outside the depot. The bodies still lie where you left them. The big-bellied cargo ship that was parked here is gone now, but they couldn't have had much time to load it.

27. - Top - End - #87

Show

Brak'ma get ready to disembark as the cutter comes back to the depot
    So, we rush in, steal some power cylinder and come back with those so it seems we only came to steal the cutter and supply. Got it.
    As soon as they land, Brak'ma rush straight to the depot, open the door and get in.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

Show
    B'Xli, Shipwright
    AC 15, HP 9/13, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 15, Investigation 11, Insight 13
    3/4 Lvl 1 Slots, 1/2 Lvl 2 Slots
    One Wild Shape used

B'xli having gotten a much better feel for the controls brought the cutter in towards the location, pausing briefly by the cart in case anyone wished to get out and bring it closer. Once he was satisfied anyone exiting had done so he brought it up to about 30 feet from the entrance and set it down with the hardpoint aligned to fire through the vehicle access door if necessary.

"Safely down. If you need help, open the vehicle access door so Rex can cover you...or just shout really loudly and duck really fast.

Oh, if you want us to bring it closer to make it easier to get the cylinders to the other location, I can."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hmm, injured but not down?" Ag'zear exits by the cart, and decides to take a look for any damage or new tracers there. He slows down when approaching to try to keep the beast from panicking.

30. - Top - End - #90

DruidGirl

Entering the depot, you do not immediately see any spectres. It is not hard to find power cylinders or dollies, either.

You do find the body of the pilot.

And the crystal orb is gone.