New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: IC Thread: Behave and Beheld [5E]

"T'lah Spacefield Tower, I copy loud and clear. This is sergeant V'sarius. We ran into navigational errors and are looking to land to refuel. I acknowledge our authority will not be recognized and we're not looking to cause any trouble. Just let us land and purchase fuel cells and we'll be on our way. Over. Rex responds in his easily recalled military protocol and waitress for further direction.

2. - Top - End - #122

DruidGirl

"Roger, cruiser. Reminder that our independence is enforced by antiaircraft weapons. Enjoy your stay in the free city."
    The voice on the radio is dry and skeptical, but does not challenge you.

You descend to a busy and disorganized spacedock in the city of T'lah, full of ships and people from across the system. Unlike the city you departed from and despite the ceiling of green mist, the weather here is hot and dry. It's day on this side of the planet, but under the smog, the light is dim and low even at noon; the neon signs on the towers of T'lah sizzle in the desert air. There are fountains, expensive and beautiful, but in the collapse of the empire the water no longer flows.

All the art and music and illicit pleasures of T'lah lie before you. More pragmatically, you can also buy power cells and a variety of grey-market ship equipment here at the spaceport; a ship graveyard lies in the shadow of the antiaircraft guns, and scavengers pick the bones and sell their finds in booths along the perimeter.

You also have the address of a cafe where you can find a contact who knows where to find Xl'va.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2022-06-18 at 08:40 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

"Finally here and I do apologize for taking the scenic route. Does anyone wish to go get the fuel? Do we want to only have some of us go to find the general and buy supplies while myself and maybe another wait here? It would mean they are less likely to notice too many disembarking and may permit us to come in and help if we absolutely need to although I DO NOT want to test the AA defenses unless there is no choice."

The druid appeared slightly embarassed as he spoke and it seemed likely he really was slightly downcast over his piloting failure. As he looked at the others preparing to all get out he flicked his eyestalks and agreed:

"Also, safety in numbers. Oh...before I forget."

He rummaged through his pockets and pulled out a wad of bills and handed them to Rex.

"We are going to need to get fuel and I would like to get some navigating tools but since I am terrible at negotiation I would request you to handle the actual purchases if you would."

As the party left the ship, he checked to ensure it was locked and then set out towards the pile of crashed ships he had seen on the way in. As he entered it he found his eyes nictating rapidly at all of the desirable features he saw and found himself noting several for acquiring after their next payday. Meanwhile he kept scanning the crowd until he saw what he was looking for.

Set up in the stove in side of a crashed Caravel he spotted a table manned by what appeared to be a middle aged beheld complete with several pieces from various ships systems including the Dextant he needed and...an astral waves scanner? These were essential items. As he approached he waved off the Beheld's introduction of himself as T'zche and the attempt to upsell the capabilities of the various instruments as he proceeded to pick up, examine and poke and pry in every conceivable way the pieces in question. After satisfying himself of their capabilities he turned to look for the warlock:

"I think these will assist in ensuring we find the quickest possible routes in the future. Do you think we can purchase them out of ship funds? Then we will just have to find a good source for fuel."

Relying on his companion's negotiating skills as he heard T'Zche's begin discussing how he had nothing but the best fuel grades including Premium as well as some ethically sourced alternatives for the more discerning buyer, B'Xli began studying the various mods available to see what they should look into once they had a few more funds under their belts. He was fairly confident that ultimately they would pay fairly close to a reasonable price but suspected if he had relied on his own skills, he would have paid far too much (based on numerous memories he didn't like to revisit)
    Last edited by Thrasymedes; 2022-06-18 at 09:02 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

M'alax quickly produces the credits necessary to contribute to the purchase of fuel and navigation tools. In truth, he barely seems to be aware that he had money in the first place, and may not be entirely aware of how much he is giving away.

"Sure, it sounds like some of those tools will make things easier in the long run. Getting lost after a dogfight in the sky could be... a very bad thing. Especially now that those massive things are floating around in Panopticon Space. While many of them are beautiful, they are probably even more dangerous."

Once they are out of the cutter, he is immediately assaulted by the miserable heat of the place. Even with his chitin, being a fairly pale M'qa meant that he burned easily. He swaddles his trenchcoat tighter, then floats straight up and high into the air to get a better view of things and orient himself. Urrrgh, the smog was so much worse than back home.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just looking around to help us avoid getting lost, and make it easier to find the address.
    Last edited by Seramus; 2022-06-18 at 10:17 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Ag'zear carefully counts out his portion of the cost for the navigation equipment--both pieces. "For saving fuel on the return journey," he notes, assuming that was part of the plan anyway. "Now lets find our contact; the heat must be bad enough without a metal coat. Anyone see a guide or a map?"

6. - Top - End - #126

DruidGirl

Ag'zear and M'alax, looking around for transport, you see that on the edge of the space port, more vendors in various degrees of ragtag have options for you: beast-drawn carriages (with or without drivers), individual accelerator headbands that can be hired, and telekinetic rickshaws pulled by locals, mostly kids. If you want a guide, you should probably hire a coach with a driver, or one of the rickshaws.

M'alax, your slightly higher perception also picks out the local militia. They are not in uniforms, but have a common shade of makeup on one side of their heads showing a stylized goat's head.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2022-06-20 at 08:59 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127

NecromancerGuy

After having paid to fuel the cutter Rex find himself somewhat eager to improve their navigation. Perhaps too much so as he settled on a price above what he thought the tools would normally cost. Maybe it was the atmosphere though, or the heat. Whichever, the price was still within reason so he let it be. He was eager to get back on track for why they were traveling to begin with.

"We have the address for the cafe. We should see if we can find what we need without causing trouble" he meant what he said but that didn't stop the font in his eye. He had long since come down from his high of the last mission and was hoping there would be a fight getting during the extraction but he wasn't looking to cause trouble just yet.

Rex approaches one of the beast drawn coaches with a driver at random. "Me and my men are looking for transportation to a local cafe. We heard it has the best coffee on the planet. What can you do for us?" He asks giving the driver the address.

8. - Top - End - #128

DruidGirl

The driver recognizes the address, and for $5 you hire him to take you. The traffic jam on the major streets is horrible, but once you reach the smaller neighborhood of narrower alleys where the cafe is, things move more smoothly. The driver parks his vehicle illegally and lets you off in front of the Cafe Du L'œil. A spoken word poet is working on stage.

You spot your contact, based on the description you were giving; he is the only B'nxamite you see in the room. He is drinking coffee with a N'Xenian Beheld with a single horn and a wispy goatee, and a scar that crosses his eye.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

M'alax piles out of the coach and does his best to look casual as they head into the cafe. He wasn't good at casual, and always looks a little nervous, but that was a good survival skill. His eyestalks wander around the room, making note of the people who watch them come in, and try to mark the ones who keep looking instead of going back to their normal business.

He whispers to the group, "Are we gliding right in like we mean business, scattering to different tables, or going for a distraction while someone talks to our contact?"

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

"I recommend most of us taking tables and watching while covering Rex's back."

B'Xli whispered back then proceeded into the Cafe where he ordered a Cappucino Latte and a pastry, sat himself down about three tables away from the contact and tried to keep an eye on who else in the cafe might be observing their contact or reacting to his party.

Unfortunately, as he took a drink from his Latte, he twitched a little as Rex arrived and managed to scald half the front of his face with the drink (perhaps a little overheated). He promptly began trying to cool his mouth and face down while trying to flag down a server for another order and wipe himself down. Unfortunately, warmish pastries, fresh from the over are not the most effective at treating a scorched tongue. Between all his actions, he suspected he might be serving as a distraction but definitely not as the backup he had hoped to be.

11. - Top - End - #131

Spoiler: Brak'ma Xis
    Show
    Brak'ma Xis, splatter painter extraordinaire
    Lawful Evil Beheld barbarian, path of the battlerager /
    STR 18, DEX 15, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 8, CHA 8/
    AC 16, HP 45/45, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 11, Investigation 11, Insight 9
    Save :STR +6, DEX +2, CON +5, INT -1, WIS -1, CHA -1/
    Special : ADV on save vs spells and magical effect; ADV on dex vs effects that i can see (while not blind/deaf/incapacitated)
    Rage : 3/3 (activation : Bonus action/ Reset on long rest)

Silent'ma followed the group as much as it could. Though its attention wasn't on any task he was or not suppose to do. Brak'ma found a little shop on the way that seems to sell some paint, and Brak'ma was getting low on supplies. Can we please stop in that shop when we get back? A pleading face was looking at whoever humored the Beheld.

As they got to the café, the plan was made by the others. The name of the café caught too much of Brak'ma attention who mostly understood the description of the contact.

As they got in, some went their own way to play it "stealthy". Brak'ma went straight to the contact. That scar suits you well, i'm in need of a model for my next painting. You'd be riding a goat with that goatee of yours. Or you could play cards with my friends, around the table, having a discussion in a cute café, that would be wonderful setting. What do you say?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Ag'zear files in quickly, taking a spot at the nearest empty table to the B'nxamite. He gets himself a red eye, grumbling the trip into the city took longer than expected (although he doesn't specify from where) then goes back to checking the same papers he'd been going over in the shuttle. Now, though, three of his eyestalks take quick glances around the room to search for anything that might mean a trap or other threat.

13. - Top - End - #133

NecromancerGuy

Rex approaches the table where their context is sitting. "A man with a scar is a man with a story." Rex comments with a smile. "don't Don't let the uniforms fool you. I believe we have a mutual friend, W'zwzxi" he offers.

They weren't given any code for making contact so the name drop would have to do.

14. - Top - End - #134

DruidGirl

The B'nxamite looks up at the two of you consideringly, and seems to like what he sees. The revolutionary vibe between you is incredibly strong in this moment, and although your conversation is surface level, you understand each other perfectly.

(22 Persuasion and Nat 20 Insight)

"Yes, he's a good friend. You can call me... Caleb." Some of the more dedicated admirers of the Outsiders have started adopting outlandish names like this. "This is another friend of mine, a local cartoonist. He's always wanted to see B'Nxam."

Spoiler: Subtext!
    Show
    The local with the scar and the wispy goatee is Xl'va.

The other Beheld addresses Brak'ma. "I'd love to meet your asociates, but perhaps in a more intimate setting. It's quite crowded here. I have a place."
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2022-06-22 at 08:02 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

M'alax orders a couple of fruity drinks. You don't just sit down at a cafe and not order anything, it was rude. He slides a couple credits to pay, and a modest tip, then pretends to listen to the open Mike night while keeping an eye on... did B'Xli spill his drink on himself? Hahaha.

16. - Top - End - #136

NecromancerGuy

Rex points first at Malax then Axgear whispering a message to convey the plan to them. This could be a trap but the contact knew what he was supposed to say least. He'd played worse odds and to be honest this was already taking too long. "Lead the way"

17. - Top - End - #137

DruidGirl

"Your place... is also crowded," points out Caleb.

"Yes, but the people there are my friends," says Xl'va.

"You don't know that," protests Caleb. It's clear this is a long-standing argument.

"I trust them. They are seekers after truth." There is a little bit of pious confidence around Xl'va that you would guess someone might pick up if they come back from the dead. "And our new friends can rest there."

"They don't need to rest if you just get on the ship and leave with them," Caleb says in a frustrated whisper.

"I won't leave without X'htd," declares Xl'va. "And now the Lord of Dragons has sent these fine fellows to help us rescue him."

It sounds like Xl'va has some ideas of his own about this mission.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2022-06-23 at 02:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

B'Xli continued wiping himself off and then glanced at the table where the others were talking. It looked like they were still talking...a little loudly for his taste but not loud enough for him to understand them. He took the time to order a second drink (iced this time) while paying his bill and readying himself to follow the others once they finally moved. He would give them a few minutes before interrupting them if he needed to do so.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

M'alax had keen earholes, trained to eavesdrop on the people he had to follow. A figurative lightbulb goes off over his head when he hears the discussion happening over at the bar. X'htd? Another one of the reborn? And he wasn't going to leave without the other person? That... might be good for the Resistance. He didn't know. If one Palimsest was worth saving, two might be twice as good!

He picks up a fruity drink with one eyestalk and casually wanders over to the same table as B'Xli. With a very low whisper, he explains "That guy wants us to save someone else. Another reborn, just like them."

He lingers just long enough to hear any reply from B'Xli, then takes his fruity drink and wanders over to Ag'zear, repeating the same message. "That guy wants us to save someone else. Another reborn, just like them."

Once again, he waits just long enough to hear any reply from Ag'zear, and then continues to wander around and asks completely unrelated people different questions like who was doing stand up tonight, and other awkward small talk to cover up his initial messages.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

B'xli nodded to M'alax:

"If both are ready to go we can fit them in. Let's do it if it can be done quickly. We can go with our contact to his friend and then leave with or without the second if he refuses. I can go hail another taxi."

As he finished responding, B'xli went over to pay his bill then prepared to head outside and flag down another vehicle (or two) to transport them.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, no plan survives contact, and all that. Let's see what we can get done." After a few minutes he finishes his drink and packs his stuff. "A good place to take stock and reorganize," he mentions to the staff as he pays.

Soon he's outside, keeping eyes on the rest of the party from a inconspicuous distance.

22. - Top - End - #142

NecromancerGuy

"two for the price of one" Rex concedes and heads outside with the others waiting for their contacts expectantly.

23. - Top - End - #143

DruidGirl

Xl'va comes out onto the sidewalk, trailing Brak'ma and Rex, and picking up the rest of you as he goes; Caleb mutters his apologies and splits off, his work here done. The rest of you trail after the revolutionary as he leads you through some winding streets to an abandoned house where what looks like a permanent house party is happening.

"This is where it happened!" he booms, and the Beheld in the yard cheer raggedly. "This is where the Exarch struck me down with his own blade, his memory gone, his soul corrupted!"

It appears that he has taken over this house and made it into a sort of makeshift shrine to the Three Palimpsests / museum to himself and his briefly-fallen comrades. The vibe of the crowd is strange; some seem reverent, others interested, and it seems like some of them are just here for the drinks.

"Come inside and I will explain..." He leads you to his bedroom, although he has to chase out a pair of Beheld who were in here sharing dreams in his bed. "There is no discipline and no respect on this planet." He wags himself wearily. "I will be glad to leave, although I celebrate my chance to bring the teachings of Bahamut here."

"X'htd has been taken by a former agent of the Dragnet, P'qma" he explains. "The man is disgraced... he believes if he can deliver us to his superiors, he will win back his former honors. He is waiting because he knows I will not leave my friend in his clutches, and he hopes to deliver both of us. I was prepared to fight him alone.... but the King of Dragons has sent me aid in my hour of need! The God is good!"
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2022-06-26 at 09:07 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144

Spoiler: Brak'ma Xis
    Show
    Brak'ma Xis, splatter painter extraordinaire
    Lawful Evil Beheld barbarian, path of the battlerager /
    STR 18, DEX 15, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 8, CHA 8/
    AC 16, HP 45/45, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 11, Investigation 11, Insight 9
    Save :STR +6, DEX +2, CON +5, INT -1, WIS -1, CHA -1/
    Special : ADV on save vs spells and magical effect; ADV on dex vs effects that i can see (while not blind/deaf/incapacitated)
    Rage : 3/3 (activation : Bonus action/ Reset on long rest)

Brak'ma followed up until they got to Xl'va bedroom and stopped Look, i know you said you wanted a more intimate settings, but that might be too intimate don't you think? Thinking a moment, Brak'ma added Well, i might be persuaded if you pay a little extra for the painting.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Yes! Brak'ma is totally oblivious and still thinking of painting.

Brak'ma listened to Xl'va story, perplexed Wait, a king sent us? It looked around at the others The one who sent us was a king? Should've told me, i might've washed around the stalk a little better, i think there was still food around there.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

M'alax floats outside along with everyone else once he could do so without drawing attention. Then he checks out the new apartment this dragon worshipper leads them to.

"So, what's it like having everyone listen to you? Hanging on your every word? You have so much power over them, how do you know you're doing the right thing?"

"And what did this Dragnet person do to get shamed and dishonored?"

There were plenty more questions to ask the Palimpsest, but these were a good start.

Meanwhile, M'alax also spares a few eyestalks to check Brak'ma for bits of food. Hounds could follow their trail more easily if he had food on him.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Ag'zear motions an eyestalk to Brak'ma. "I believe he means the new god everyone is talking about." Focusing back on Xl'va, he continues "we were sent here for you specifically, and weren't aware of the situation on the ground. Can you give us any detail on the situation? It'll be a bit hard to give this P'qma a 'visit' if we can't find him and a bit hard to rescue your friend without knowing where he is."

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

B'xli nodded at the questions of the others while raising an eyebrow at Brak'ma. Turning to Xl'va he then sought to follow up on Ag'zear's words:

"Does Pl'kma have any companions or subordinates who might get involved or is he the only one guarding your friend? Is there a chance he could involve guards or Panopticon forces? If we try this without knowing who we face and what they have prepared none of us will be able to leave the planet and there will be no hope for others such as you and he could bring."

28. - Top - End - #148

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Seramus View Post
    M'alax floats outside along with everyone else once he could do so without drawing attention. Then he checks out the new apartment this dragon worshipper leads them to.

"So, what's it like having everyone listen to you? Hanging on your every word? You have so much power over them, how do you know you're doing the right thing?"

"And what did this Dragnet person do to get shamed and dishonored?"

There were plenty more questions to ask the Palimpsest, but these were a good start.

Meanwhile, M'alax also spares a few eyestalks to check Brak'ma for bits of food. Hounds could follow their trail more easily if he had food on him.
    "It is... a high honor. Not something I ever expected, when it was just the four of us and the Box. But it is my duty to tell people what I saw on the Other Side."

"P'qma was a commander in the Dragnet. He assembled the taskforce of police that came here to retrieve the box from us. But he didn't know--no one knew--the three officers he assembled were the Palimpsests themselves -- the Exarch, the Tactician and the Lover themselves. They were reborn on this world, their memories removed and hidden inside the Box."

"He had a fated part to play in their restoration, despite his ill-intentions. Naturally, the Panoptica punished him for that."

Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    Ag'zear motions an eyestalk to Brak'ma. "I believe he means the new god everyone is talking about." Focusing back on Xl'va, he continues "we were sent here for you specifically, and weren't aware of the situation on the ground. Can you give us any detail on the situation? It'll be a bit hard to give this P'qma a 'visit' if we can't find him and a bit hard to rescue your friend without knowing where he is."
    "I know exactly where he is. He wants me to come for my friend. It's a trap, of course, but I cannot leave X'htd there and he knows it."

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymedes View Post
    B'xli nodded at the questions of the others while raising an eyebrow at Brak'ma. Turning to Xl'va he then sought to follow up on Ag'zear's words:

"Does Pl'kma have any companions or subordinates who might get involved or is he the only one guarding your friend? Is there a chance he could involve guards or Panopticon forces? If we try this without knowing who we face and what they have prepared none of us will be able to leave the planet and there will be no hope for others such as you and he could bring."
    "He no longer has official resources to draw on, but he has support from counterrevolutionaries. The wild and wanton methods of the Satyr League have left many ordinary Beheld wary of the new world before us... they want to go back to a more predictable experience."

"He could call in the Dragnet at any time, of course, tell him he has one of the Reborn... but he would rather have us both before he makes that call."

29. - Top - End - #149

NecromancerGuy

Rex smiles. This kept getting better and better. "If it's a trap then let us spring it. He won't be expecting us and I've been itched for a bit of action. If we occupy the ambush, your should be able to sneak by and rescue him, and if you can't, we'll get you both out once the trap is dealt with."

Rex looked to his companions to see what they thought of his plan. It wasn't much of one, but he prefers not too work with to many details. Tended not too work out how you planned anyways.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

M'alax floats around the room for a moment, eyestalks peering around and every nook and cranny of the bedroom. Something about the whole situation didn't feel right, and the vague answers from Xl'va were not helping. But he had to trust the Resistance wanted better things for the people of this place than the Panopticon did, so he nods along with Rex.

"I'm fine with springing the trap also. We can even try to keep some of us hidden, to spring out and trap the trappers. I feel bad he god duped and shamed for it, but maybe we can even talk this fellow into working for us. It's worth a try.'