New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Looking for any more "Forum Stories" about OotS-verse from The Giant

I recently stumbled across an old debate about Dwarven Honor and found this exquisite little prose story that Rich wrote as part of his argument:

https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...4&postcount=36

It moved me to tears and really deepened my appreciation for that element of the OotS worldbuilding.

Are there any other stories like this elsewhere? I'm familiar with the short followup story of the gnome cleric who got dominated in Tinkertown as well, but that's all I can think of. The worldbuilding is very fun in them, and I like Rich's prose style -- it doesn't really show up in the comic strip format of the main story.
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2022-05-16 at 12:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for any more "Forum Stories" about OotS-verse from The Giant

I particularly like "either that, or the Snarl destroys the world in a week or two"
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Looking for any more "Forum Stories" about OotS-verse from The Giant

There was a writeup of how the second Miko vs. Order fight could reasonably have gone for Miko to win.

Here

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

"I shoulda stayed at home" old dwarf murmured to himself, "By Odin's balls, I shoulda stayed at home!" It's been five years since that terrible winter season, that accursed day he decided to leave his home to acquire utilities his family and clan needed. Little did he know of dangers standing in front of them back then. Worst thing he could imagine back then was giving his life on a just cause, leaving behind his descendants someone they could proud of. Sadly that wasn't the case, as he knew very little of how human world works, how despicable they can be. Life wasn't fair to Tyrone Stonecutter. After leaving his homeland with his old buddies from the army, their company was ambushed by an army of Druids and Wood elementals, who were seeking revenge on dwarven lands for their massacre of trees. Few of Tyrone's company survived the elementals' swift and painful attacks: branch swords, leaf shurikens, trunk slams. By the end of day, Tyrone and five of his companions were prisoners of a war they weren't even expecting to fight that day. "Cowards!" He yelled to them, "finish the job you started! Kill me immediately!" But his teasing words were destined to fell on deaf ears. His dead body would be no use to Druid confederacy on their holy war against dwarves. Tyrone and his companions sold on a auction, some to be used as slaves, some as forced mercenaries, but not Tyrone. He was the unluckiest one: He was too old to work on some dirt farm, too old to fight on western lands. They sold him into a circus so he can work as a freak. For five long years since that damned winter, he's been working on this circus as the star of some freak show, humiliated by viewers, showcased as the circus master's prized possession. "Ladies and gentlecooks, look and bemused by this freak of nature, the famous bearded lady from the northern lands!" Announcer would yell to the crowds, much to the amusement of them. Sometimes one of them yell back, "That's just a dwarf woman!" unbeknowst to the truth that he's just a man on drag. After one of those busy days, the circus master visited Tyrone, with a smirk behind his bushy mustache. "You've done a good job again, dwarf. I want to pay you some favor. What would you want? Food? Entertainment? Ask and it shall be done!" Old dwarf looked at the circus master with curious but resentful eyes. The dwarf looked beneath to his own bony hands as they were holdind the knees of his bony legs. Tears began to appear on dwarf's weary eyes. His lips began to move as they were cracking. "Kill me" he said, "kill me or leave me. Give me either liberty or death!" As he was talking, he was also moving his body wildly, trying to free himself from the bandages that tied his arms, legs and abdomen to a steel chair. Ironically, it was a dwarven made chair, one of his clan's finest merchandise. Circus' mustachioed owner was looking into the dwarf with puzzled eyes. "Oh la la? That's out of question, master dwarf. You're too important to both me and my franchise. Sorry but I can't give you up. You'll be part of this circus until you'll be dead, till you die from old age." After these last mocking words, circus master left the dwarf alone. Tyrone looked up the sky, gleaming moon and sparkling stars. He thinks of his daughter and grandkids, wondering whatever happened to them after his failure. After that he began to think about his own future. All of his life he was hoping to give up his life to an honorable death. Now he was cursed to live rest of his life as part of a freakshow until his final destination unto Hel's cold bosoms. "I shoulda stayed at home" the dwarf murmured again, to a cold and silent night, just as cold as the place waiting for him after his death.
    Last edited by Precure; 2022-05-16 at 03:09 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I particularly like "either that, or the Snarl destroys the world in a week or two"
    Ah yes, a heartwarming tale, until the punchline.

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    <really depressing fan fiction>
    Geez, way to be a downer.
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2022-05-16 at 09:02 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    snip
    Are you doing okay, Precure?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Wasn't there a post about Hinjo being colorblind?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Satohika View Post
    It is a tale beautifully told:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Hinjo is red-green colorblind. CANON.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Satohika View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It is a tale beautifully told:
    I can only imagine all those reds and greens of Azure City that Hinjo must have been missing all those years.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    I can only imagine all those reds and greens of Azure City that Hinjo must have been missing all those years.
    Now I'm imagining Azure City as being like Oz in the book. Rather than coloring everything blue, they simply require everyone to wear unremovable blue-tinted glasses on, with the excuse that without the glasses the brilliant blue light blind them.