New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Jumping over an enemy?

I am playing an Oath of Glory Paladin. This class has the option to increase the characters long- and high-jump distance by 10 ft for 10 minutes. So my 18 str Paladin can jump 17 ft up and 28 ft long (when he moves 10 ft before jumping). Could I jump over an enemy? I know that you can’t move through a hostile creatures space, but what if I jump more than 5ft high over the enemies head? And: is it even possible to combine long and high jumps?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Jumping over an enemy?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Carlos View Post
    I am playing an Oath of Glory Paladin. This class has the option to increase the characters long- and high-jump distance by 10 ft for 10 minutes. So my 18 str Paladin can jump 17 ft up and 28 ft long (when he moves 10 ft before jumping). Could I jump over an enemy? I know that you can’t move through a hostile creatures space, but what if I jump more than 5ft high over the enemies head? And: is it even possible to combine long and high jumps?
    If you can himp high enough, then yeah, consider though, that unless you land within its threatened area you would generate an attack of opportunity since you are leaving a threatened area.
    Last edited by Rukelnikov; 2022-05-17 at 07:04 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Going above the space a creature control is not moving through their space, so you can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukelnikov View Post
    If you can himp high enough, then yeah, consider though, that unless you land within its threatened area you would generate an attack of opportunity since you are leaving a threatened area.
    Indeed.

Also note that if you start in/get into the space they control and get out of said space while you jump (ex, if you jump 10ft above their head), it also triggers an opportunity attack.

Or in other words: Anakin and Obi-Wan, on Mustafar.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

There is one exception to the OA rule here. It's possible to jump high enough to actually fall into a enemies reach. Of course then you have that damage and the possible prone to contend with.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    There is one exception to the OA rule here. It's possible to jump high enough to actually fall into a enemies reach. Of course then you have that damage and the possible prone to contend with.
    Well you can also fall directly on the enemy, strictly speaking, which means they share the damage and the prone condition with you.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

The high jump, though, is jumping up, not really up and also fifteen feet forward. This would need heavy DM approval.
    I'd definitely require a check and, because jump distance comes out of movement, to avoid opportunity attacks (from a medium enemy), you'd move ten feet to get full jump distance and you'd need to start your jump ten feet from the enemy and land ten feet passed them, including the 5ft square they occupy. So, that's 25ft of lateral movement, plus 15ft of vertical (I won't count the 15ft of downward vertical as movement). It seems to me that you're moving about 40ft, but I'm not able to sketch a parabola and do the measurements right now (because I don't know how.)

Anybody better at geometry wanna confirm or deny the distance of this jump.

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Well you can also fall directly on the enemy, strictly speaking, which means they share the damage and the prone condition with you.
    Why would the enemy share that? You fall prone for landing in difficult terrain (an occupied space). The enemy didn't land anywhere.
    Last edited by Burley; 2022-05-17 at 07:43 AM.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Burley View Post
    Why would the enemy share that? You fall prone for landing in difficult terrain (an occupied space). The enemy didn't land anywhere.
    If you fall onto a creature, enemy or otherwise, they need to make a dex save or take half the fall damage from your goomba stomp.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    If you fall onto a creature, enemy or otherwise, they need to make a dex save or take half the fall damage from your goomba stomp.
    Where's that rule? All I can find is:
    "A fall from a great height is one of the most common hazards facing an adventurer. At the end of a fall, a creature takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage for every 10 feet it fell, to a maximum of 20d6. The creature lands prone, unless it avoids taking damage from the fall."

Not callin' you a liar. I just can't find that.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

I mean, I'd allow it with a DC 15 Acrobatics check, but I'm not your DM. Check with them first to get the procedure nailed down.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Where's that rule? All I can find is:
    "A fall from a great height is one of the most common hazards facing an adventurer. At the end of a fall, a creature takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage for every 10 feet it fell, to a maximum of 20d6. The creature lands prone, unless it avoids taking damage from the fall."

Not callin' you a liar. I just can't find that.
    It's Tasha's, pg. 170

FALLING ONTO A CREATURE
    If a creature falls into the space of a second creature and neither of them is Tiny, the second creature must succeed on a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or be impacted by the falling creature, and any damage resulting from the fall is divided evenly between them. The impacted creature is also knocked prone, unless it is two or more sizes larger than the falling creature.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    It's Tasha's, pg. 170
    Argh! Tasha's new rules gettin' me again.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

The high jump, though, is jumping up, not really up and also fifteen feet forward. This would need heavy DM approval.
    That is why I asked if you can combine the high jump and the long jump. it seems odd, that you can't jump up and forward. Any thoughts on why it is that way?

13. - Top - End - #13

You can. Under the rules for horizontal jump, it says you can clear a vertical obstacle equal to one quarter the distance you are jumping. So if you are jumping 20ft across you can clear a height of 5ft along the way.

The issue is getting a high jump distance and a higher speed to clear it. But technically someone jumping 40ft can clear a 10ft wall.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It's Tasha's, pg. 170
    Ohhhh...nice. Didn't know that one.

I think my flying, 20 Str Rune Knight grappler is going to start using that Hill Rune to drop victims from height and then super-slam land on them!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    You can. Under the rules for horizontal jump, it says you can clear a vertical obstacle equal to one quarter the distance you are jumping. So if you are jumping 20ft across you can clear a height of 5ft along the way.

The issue is getting a high jump distance and a higher speed to clear it. But technically someone jumping 40ft can clear a 10ft wall.
    Man, I am dumb, xD. I somehow missed that rule. Thanks! So that means I can make a dc10 Athletics check, to jump over a 7 ft obstacle while jumping forward. IF I really jump 28 ft. Hm. should be enough to jump over a medium creature, right?
    Last edited by Sir-Carlos; 2022-05-17 at 08:58 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Man, I am dumb, xD. I somehow missed that rule. Thanks! So that means I can make a dc10 Athletics check, to jump over a 7 ft obstacle while jumping forward. IF I really jump 28 ft. Hm. should be enough to jump over a medium creature, right?
    I don't think anyone is aware of this rule lol.

And that's correct, but bear in mind it would be up to the DM to allow this, as per the PHB.

It would depend on the height of the creature. If they are under 7ft, you clear them. The space they threaten is a different story :).

17. - Top - End - #17

Argh! Tasha's new rules gettin' me again.
    I mean do you really need the rules to explicitly state this? Dropping on an enemy from above is about as tropish as you can get.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    I mean do you really need the rules to explicitly state this? Dropping on an enemy from above is about as tropish as you can get.
    Need? No.

Want? So as to avoid having to argue it to your DM and possibly sound like you're cheesing something? I mean...yeah.
    Last edited by Guy Lombard-O; 2022-05-17 at 11:43 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    It would depend on the height of the creature. If they are under 7ft, you clear them. The space they threaten is a different story :).
    Note that disengaging as your action, even all the way over at your starting location, means they very likely won't get an opportunity attack.

I've just started playing a Harengon Glory Paladin myself, so I've thought about this a decent amount. My GM decided for some reason that the racial hop ability wasn't enough to really sell 'good at jumping' so he decided to double my long/high jump distances - it should be interesting. I'm going to have to take advantage of Enhance Ability: Cat's Grace to avoid taking fall damage for some really big jumps.

I've been meaning to play a character that is good at this for a while, so I'm pretty excited.

20. - Top - End - #20

SamuraiGuy

It's Tasha's, pg. 170
    I'm amazed that someone needs a rule for that. By that logic dropping a rock on someone's head should only damage the rock.
    Optimizing vs Roleplay
    If the worlds greatest optimizer makes a character and hands it to the worlds greatest roleplayer who roleplays the character. What will happen? Will the Universe implode?

Roleplaying vs Fun
    If roleplaying is no fun then stop doing it. Unless of course you are roleplaying at gunpoint then you should roleplay like your life depended on it.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Lombard-O View Post
    Need? No.

Want? So as to avoid having to argue it to your DM and possibly sound like you're cheesing something? I mean...yeah.
    Eh. 90% of time if someone is using very specific rules to try to pull something off they're more likely trying to cheese something out compared to somebody who just asked the dm if they can do a thing. I could see if it's a particularly odd request but this one's really straightforward.

22. - Top - End - #22

Goomba stomping people is actually a pretty low key effective way to knock prone for no action cost, if you can get enough jump distance.

If you're a Glory Paladin, Harengon or have jump enhancing magic and take Athlete, you have enough movement to initiate a full distance jump and then stand up after you've knocked them prone.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by solidork View Post
    Note that disengaging as your action, even all the way over at your starting location, means they very likely won't get an opportunity attack.
    True, but it depends on the jump optimization and speed. If you're moving 10ft to jump 28ft, you've already moved 38ft. So chances are Dash might be a better option than Disengage, unless your speed is 40ft.
    I've just started playing a Harengon Glory Paladin myself, so I've thought about this a decent amount. My GM decided for some reason that the racial hop ability wasn't enough to really sell 'good at jumping' so he decided to double my long/high jump distances - it should be interesting. I'm going to have to take advantage of Enhance Ability: Cat's Grace to avoid taking fall damage for some really big jumps.

I've been meaning to play a character that is good at this for a while, so I'm pretty excited.
    That's awesome!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RazorChain View Post
    I'm amazed that someone needs a rule for that. By that logic dropping a rock on someone's head should only damage the rock.
    Its nice to have it codified at least. "What happens when you throw somebody at somebody else" is a pretty regular question at my table.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #25

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Or in other words: Anakin and Obi-Wan, on Mustafar.
    Is that both Star Wars AND Star Trek reference at once? Is that even allowed?
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    Must not be allowed, because I think that's just a star wars reference.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So a high level monk could fall at terminal velocity, take no damage and add 10d6 to his attack and possibly knock prone his opponent before even taking an attack action?

Sounds fun.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fumble View Post
    So a high level monk could fall at terminal velocity, take no damage and add 10d6 to his attack and possibly knock prone his opponent before even taking an attack action?

Sounds fun.
    Personally I think I would rule that using safe fall also prevents damage to the target (ie you're reducing it before it gets split, not after) but would still knock them prone. And I wouldn't begrudge somebody ruling it differently.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    Must not be allowed, because I think that's just a star wars reference.
    Obi-Wan, in the Jedi Archives.

Obi-Wan on Kamino.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2022-05-17 at 06:42 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Personally I think I would rule that using safe fall also prevents damage to the target (ie you're reducing it before it gets split, not after) but would still knock them prone. And I wouldn't begrudge somebody ruling it differently.
    Same. Slow fall is pretty much what it says on the tin.