New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: What the heck is with Shadar-Kai

Quote Originally Posted by strangebloke View Post
    I feel like saying "you're not a charisma class you should never talk" is kind of a bad attitude to bring to a table.
    I didn't say "should never talk", I said "shouldn't be doing the talking," i.e. the Party Face role specifically. The difference is subtle but material.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Haven't looked at the changes yet. But if it's not a spell can it be used while wild shaped? Because if so I'm imagining a very angry teleporting grizzly bear.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

Shadar-Kai are really strong picks for elves. They’re not busted though. They don’t have resourceless flight so they’re automatically disqualified from absolute top tier. They don’t get level 1 feats like vuman and CL so playing a martial Shadar Kai is shooting yourself in the foot. Usual obligatory disclaimers apply, play what you like, you’re not a bad player or person for picking an option for flavor, etc.

They’re definitely in the fray with other nice but solidly mid-tier options like harengon, dhampir, etc. I’d honestly like most options to be as strong to be honest? Elven accuracy is cool but best of 3 advantage runs into diminishing returns hard compared to best of 2 and if you’re making attack rolls using it to maximize your attacks you’ll probably want to grab crossbow expert and sharpshooter first anyways, pushing EA way back anyhow.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I didn't say "should never talk", I said "shouldn't be doing the talking," i.e. the Party Face role specifically. The difference is subtle but material.
    I mean 5e lets you use alternate ability scores for skills if you can convince a DM that it’s reasonable. I’d let a Monk with proficiency use Wisdom for persuasion, for example. Yeah I know not every table would but i’m just saying 5es skills have some built in wiggle room there.
    Last edited by Jervis; 2022-05-21 at 01:19 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Man, I remember when Half-Elf was one of the stronger races
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #66

Meh. Monk just needs +Wis-mod Ki per short rest, and it's fixed. Wanna make it MAD? Fine, give it a payoff for doing so. Really nice on the bottom end, where they feel weak other than a few builds, and helps out immensely in tier2-3 as well, so they can excel. 2-3 extra Ki/Sr sorts the entire problem.
    Hell, be a bawler DM and let them choose any stat other than Dex/Con, and they get that much +Ki per short rest. It really opens up some fun builds and concepts. It can be MAD, but it can be MAD how you want it to be. You can be smart or charismatic or strong, and be awesome at Monk'ing 🙂

So, back to Shadar-Kai....
    Nah, not as broken as other stuff has been, just very strong. And this is from a druid player. Lol
    Last edited by sambojin; 2022-05-21 at 02:21 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67

DrowGirl

I can see what people are saying about the strong vs broken distinction, and yah, I agree.

TCL is kinda broken.

Shadar-Kai is just inexplicably good for "any" (i.e., generic) build.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post

Plus tongue of sun and moon lets your voice be out of sink with your lip movements like a cheesy martial arts movie. And that’s just cool
    Aha! I've always wondered since 3E why monks get this. I never understood the connection. I know this is a joke, but if it is/was a hidden injoke all along about film dubbing I'm floored.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.