New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default 4th Ed: Races, Classes, UPDATED!

UPDATED 11/28/07

There's a pretty solid rumor that the final 4th ed race will be Dragonborn.

There's also the possibility of other classes beyond the Fighter, Paladin, Rogue, Ranger, Cleric, Warlord, Wizard, and Warlock. Specifically, "druids, barbarians, swordmages." I'm guessing the swordmage is a Duskblade. UPDATE: Swordmages are arcane defenders. See my post below for details if you're interested.

According to a Peter Schaefer, "Each race works best with two or three classes, thanks to a stat bonus or other feature, and none suck at any class."

In addition, we have a lot more information from EN World via this thread on the WotC forum.

So our current line-up, based on mostly rumor and my best guesses, are:

Race: Homeland: Favored Class: Class Role: Class Power Source

Human: Plains: Anything
    Dwarf: Mountains: Fighter: Defender: Martial
    Eladrin: Feywild: Wizard: Controller: Arcane
    Elf: Forests: Ranger: Striker: Martial/Divine
    Dragonborn: Dessert: Warlord: Leader: Martial
    Halfling: Rivers: Rogue: Striker: Martial
    Tiefling: Shadowfell: Warlock: Striker: Arcane
    ?: ?: Cleric: Leader: Divine
    ?: ?: Paladin: Defender: Divine
    ?: ?: Swordmage: Defender: Arcane
    ?: ?: Barbarian: Striker: Martial
    ?: ?: Druid: Controller?: Divine
    ?: ?: Bard!: Controller/Leader?: Divine WTF?
    ?: ?: Monk!: Striker: Martial
    ?: ?: Sorcerer!: Striker: Arcane

Other non-core races that were mentioned are gnome, drow, celestial (aasimar) and warforged. They'll most likely be published as playable races in early supplements.

As I've posted before, its seems as if WotC has quickly abandoned any niche protection. 4th Ed seems to be transforming into a "best of 3.5, but newer" without any systematic effort to balance the classes.

Discuss.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: 4th Ed: Races, Classes, and Dragonborn

We can probably take humans out of the "Good at two or three classes" picture. Humans have always been good at everything, so I'd be VEEEEERY suprised if that changed. 'Sides, which classes would they be good for? Fighters? Nah, nothing remarkable there. Casters? Unremarkable. Leaders? Could be. Skillmonkeys? Could be. But none would be really set for a human.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say elf for warlock bvecause they're being set up for a nature vibe and warlocks can apparently make pacts with "feral" creatures.
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I really hope those "dragonborn" are either false or on secondary race.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

... we know they aren't "false." You've read Races of the Dragon, right?

EDIT: As for being a "secondary race": if they're in the PHB, how would that work?
    Last edited by Inyssius Tor; 2007-11-26 at 12:53 PM.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I wouldn't be surprised if it was core. Everything they're spewing out seems to be whatever happens to be in vogue on the gleemax forums.

When they release 4e we'll all be here talking about our Half-Dragon (or is that Dragonborn?) Warforged Warblades (oops, I mean Fighters), and how many maneuvers they can pull off in one round.

If the Swordmage is true, I am very disappointed. I always thought the Duskblade was a poor gish. True gish afficianados would scoff at just 6th level spells. Also, the loss of the sorcerer is a bummer to me. Hopefully the warlock got his stuff, without the lame fiendish pact thing.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inyssius Tor View Post
    ... we know they aren't "false." You've read Races of the Dragon, right?
    No, I haven't read Races of the Dragon. As for they being "false", I meant that I hope the rumors about them being core race are false, not that I hope the race doesn't exist. It's just that if they aren't core, I'll have an easier time ignoring them.

EDIT: As for being a "secondary race": if they're in the PHB, how would that work?
    Well, I hope they won't be in PHB.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-11-26 at 01:27 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

8. - Top - End - #8

not to sound stupid, but when does 4th ED happen?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

My only reaction to this race is
    Spoiler
    Show
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! FURRY!

But seriously, it looks convincing, alas. I mean, I'm fine with the new planetouched, but couldn't we have had a Zenthyr/Tulahadara/Chaond instead of something that's so limiting? It would mean more opportunities to explore alignment,
    Avatar shamelessly looted from Amotis, and thus from Kuja.girl

Habeeb it?

10. - Top - End - #10

I'm generally against any new race (I happen to like the current line-up) but if a new one must be core, then at least let it be some kind of Lizard-man, Rat-man, or Cat/Lion-man, which I have at least grown accustomed to from other RPGs in recent years.

Humans are probably going to be good all-around, or at least moderate all-around.

I am also thinking Druids (or something similar) are a sure bet. Unless the new race is a kind of changeling or fey that can Wildshape.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Looks good.

I'd like it if they made the Humans the jack-of-all-classes-master-of-none that they were probably intended to be in 3'rd edition, before everyone realized how potent an extra feat and skill point per level was (making them a jack-of-all-classes-and-still-master-of-a-bunch-of-them).

And the more classes, and the more diverse they are, the better, in my opinion.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    There's also the possibility of other classes beyond the Fighter, Paladin, Rogue, Ranger, Cleric, Warlord, Wizard, and Warlock. Specifically, "druids, barbarians, swordmages." I'm guessing the swordmage is a Duskblade.
    Can you tell us where that quote comes from? Not that I'm doubting you or anything, I just want to know how solid of a "possibility" it is. I'd also like to know how solidly you're convinced that Swordmage = Duskblade...because just the quote you posted here indicates to me that it might be a Sorcerer or (more likely) Warmage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    not to sound stupid, but when does 4th ED happen?
    The Player's Handbook is set to be available in May 2008, IIRC.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zentei's Law
    1. As an online discussion on the Order of the Stick forum grows longer, the probability of Miko Myazaki being mentioned approaches unity.
    2. He who mentions her in a disparaging way when irrelevant to the thread topic loses the argument.
    Fanclubbery list:

Miko fanclub.

Roy fanclub.

Hinjo fanclub.

The Chief fanclub.

The Xykon fanclub. Because Evil is just that cool.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Swordmage was talked about a few months back.

It is a new class: while similar to Duskblade; it was not the same (or at least not hinted).
    I think it will be a Swordsage with arcane adaptation variant in ToB. But, we won't know till it is done.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Can you tell us where that quote comes from? Not that I'm doubting you or anything, I just want to know how solid of a "possibility" it is. I'd also like to know how solidly you're convinced that Swordmage = Duskblade...because just the quote you posted here indicates to me that it might be a Sorcerer or (more likely) Warmage.
    If you follow my link through the WotC forum, you'll find that it was posted on EN World, which does a much better job of organizing 4th ed information then the official WotC site.

Virtually every book written by Americans is printed overseas, because the cost of producing paper and running a factory is much cheaper in countries without environmental or labor laws. Once printed, they are then shipped directly to the book sellers across the world. It often gets to foreign countries (or on the shelves of local stores in the producing country) before it gets to the US because of proximity. And international booksellers often ignore official release dates, because they don't have a close relationship with American publishers, unlike Barnes and Noble et al. In this case, the Races & Classes preview was found by some gamer in Hungry, who glanced through the book and then posted about it on the boards.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anon. and on View Post
    My only reaction to this race is
    Spoiler
    Show
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! FURRY!

But seriously, it looks convincing, alas. I mean, I'm fine with the new planetouched, but couldn't we have had a Zenthyr/Tulahadara/Chaond instead of something that's so limiting? It would mean more opportunities to explore alignment,
    I think that would be more like ...

Spoiler
    Show
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! SCALEY!

17. - Top - End - #17

SwashbucklerGuy

I already miss gnomes.
    Stoic (and apparently only) member of the Fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuckets View Post
    And then the Rock totally sneaks up and impales them both on an American flag.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

The Player's Handbook is set to be available in May 2008, IIRC.
    No, they changed their plans. Now all three core books are set for release in June '08.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

So is Dragonborn taking the place of Half-Orc?

Also I would expect that Humans would still be the 'jack of all trades master of none' race for all the classes.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    If you follow my link through the WotC forum, you'll find that it was posted on EN World, which does a much better job of organizing 4th ed information then the official WotC site.

Virtually every book written by Americans is printed overseas, because the cost of producing paper and running a factory is much cheaper in countries without environmental or labor laws. Once printed, they are then shipped directly to the book sellers across the world. It often gets to foreign countries (or on the shelves of local stores in the producing country) before it gets to the US because of proximity. And international booksellers often ignore official release dates, because they don't have a close relationship with American publishers, unlike Barnes and Noble et al. In this case, the Races & Classes preview was found by some gamer in Hungry, who glanced through the book and then posted about it on the boards.
    Oh. Right.

Sorry, brain is still fried from class
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Dausuul View Post
    No, they changed their plans. Now all three core books are set for release in June '08.
    Ah. Well, it's only one more month to wait.

And as an aside, I concur with .... on gnomes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zentei's Law
    1. As an online discussion on the Order of the Stick forum grows longer, the probability of Miko Myazaki being mentioned approaches unity.
    2. He who mentions her in a disparaging way when irrelevant to the thread topic loses the argument.
    Fanclubbery list:

Miko fanclub.

Roy fanclub.

Hinjo fanclub.

The Chief fanclub.

The Xykon fanclub. Because Evil is just that cool.

22. - Top - End - #22

The Swordmage has been mentioned before; it's supposedly an Arcane Defender, and there weren't any plans (at the time) to try to cram it into the first PHB. That implies that it's not that similar to the Duskblade, as the Duskblade is about as Striker as you get.
    Merlin the Tuna

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by .... View Post
    I already miss gnomes.
    Indeed, how in the world can they drop the gnome’s? HOW? Its not like we all know that the first homebrew thing we will see for 4E is the gnome, it will be annoying that there will be no standard place for gnomes in campaign settings now.

Anyhow, the rumor seems to be plausible but not rock solid. Dragonborn probably has the first place on my list of possible mystery races.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Indeed, how in the world can they drop the gnome’s? HOW? Its not like we all know that the first homebrew thing we will see for 4E is the gnome, it will be annoying that there will be no standard place for gnomes in campaign settings now.
    Thing is, gnomes didn't really have a standard place in campaign settings anyway. That's why they're getting dropped. Their self-identity confusion (we're prankster illusionists! ... no, we're little peaceful burrowing folk who hang out with bunnies and sing songs! ... no, we're tinkerers who are geniuses at building all kinds of mechanical contraptions!) was at least as bad as the elves' (everything about us says we should have favored class Ranger, but somehow we're still all obsessed with being Wizards). But at least the elves were an integral part of most worlds' histories; gnomes rarely had any major kingdoms or even territories, or any major influence on the world. Their ecology didn't make sense ... they were rarely non-combatant NPCs ...
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Thing is, gnomes didn't really have a standard place in campaign settings anyway. That's why they're getting dropped. Their self-identity confusion (we're prankster illusionists! ... no, we're little peaceful burrowing folk who hang out with bunnies and sing songs! ... no, we're tinkerers who are geniuses at building all kinds of mechanical contraptions!) was at least as bad as the elves' (everything about us says we should have favored class Ranger, but somehow we're still all obsessed with being Wizards). But at least the elves were an integral part of most worlds' histories; gnomes rarely had any major kingdoms or even territories, or any major influence on the world. Their ecology didn't make sense ... they were rarely non-combatant NPCs ...
    So how can you justify dragonborn and tieflings then? I highly doubt there will be dragonboarn kingdoms or a unified identiy to the tiefling race.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin the Tuna View Post
    The Swordmage has been mentioned before; it's supposedly an Arcane Defender, and there weren't any plans (at the time) to try to cram it into the first PHB. That implies that it's not that similar to the Duskblade, as the Duskblade is about as Striker as you get.
    Whoops. Right you are.

Money quote:
    Spoiler
    Show

Good morning, everybody! Today, I can talk a little bit about the swordmage.

First, let me say a few words about the origin of the class. Some of you have already observed that the "grid" created by lining up power sources on one axis and character role on another axis is a natural first place to look for class ideas. We don't intend to meticulously fill in each possible combination, or even limit ourselves to one class per cubbyhole, but it's an interesting place to start. The swordmage appeared about 15 months ago when we asked ourselves, "Say, what would an arcane defender look like?"

We liked the idea well enough that at one point the swordmage was well on his way to being included in the Player's Handbook. But for various reasons we decided to go with a slightly different mix of character classes, and so the swordmage is going to wait for a while. It's a class we are going to design and publish someday, but it probably won't be in 2008... with one key exception: I'm featuring a swordmage named Geran Hulmaster as the protagonist in my upcoming Forgotten Realms trilogy, beginning with the aptly-titled novel "Swordmage." It'll be out in May.

Naturally, I needed to know a lot about how the class ticks in order to write about one. Since I don't have a mechanical design to base my Geran's abilities on, I've thought long and hard about what the swordmage class should do, how it looks, and how it feels. So here are a few things I know about the swordmage, based on what I've done for my novel:

* Swordmages aren't "gishes" or bladesingers. Someone over on EN World made an uncannily accurate prediction about the class, which I can confirm here: A swordmage is a warrior who uses magic to fight better.

* Swordmages use spells of armorning and protection instead of wearing heavy armor. At the most basic level, it's something along the lines of an always-on mage armor spell, renewed each morning. Since they're defenders, they need hit points and AC comparable to fighters, and swordmages get there by using persistent magic effects.I think there are other persistent wards in play too, spells that provide some energy resistance, mental defense, things of that sort.

* Swordmages have lots of room for fun, combat-focused "immediate" spells and "move" spells. For example, my character Geran makes use of a few short-range teleports and transpositions, as well as instant shield-like effects. The movement effects will work great for a defender--what better way to get the troll to stop beating on the wizard than to simply trade places with your unarmored friend?

* Swordmages have room for fun attack powers, too. For example, I have Geran make use of a short-duration, self-only strength spell, as well as another one that wreathes his sword in magical flames. There are a few others I touched on in my novel, but I don't want to give any more away 'cause I don't want to spoil things.

Anyway, there you go! Someday you'll be able to play a character like that if you've got the inclination to.

Rich said that it won't be in the core rules, but apparently its in the core rules preview. Maybe they liked it so much during playtesting it was included? Or they're previewing supplements? We'll have to wait and see.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vectner View Post
    So how can you justify dragonborn and tieflings then? I highly doubt there will be dragonboarn kingdoms or a unified identiy to the tiefling race.
    Well, tieflings are descendants of humans and otherworldly beings. They aren't the same kind of race as elves or humans. They aren't supposed to have political and cultural structures.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dumbass
    * Swordmages aren't "gishes" or bladesingers. Someone over on EN World made an uncannily accurate prediction about the class, which I can confirm here: A swordmage is a warrior who uses magic to fight better.

* Swordmages use spells of armorning and protection instead of wearing heavy armor. At the most basic level, it's something along the lines of an always-on mage armor spell, renewed each morning. Since they're defenders, they need hit points and AC comparable to fighters, and swordmages get there by using persistent magic effects.I think there are other persistent wards in play too, spells that provide some energy resistance, mental defense, things of that sort.

* Swordmages have lots of room for fun, combat-focused "immediate" spells and "move" spells. For example, my character Geran makes use of a few short-range teleports and transpositions, as well as instant shield-like effects. The movement effects will work great for a defender--what better way to get the troll to stop beating on the wizard than to simply trade places with your unarmored friend?

* Swordmages have room for fun attack powers, too. For example, I have Geran make use of a short-duration, self-only strength spell, as well as another one that wreathes his sword in magical flames. There are a few others I touched on in my novel, but I don't want to give any more away 'cause I don't want to spoil things.
    Would somebody please enlighten me as to how in the F-ing hell that is not a gish?

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

29. - Top - End - #29

And the dragonborn I know are members of another race who transformed into a sort of halfdragon following Bahamut. Though it could be used with just about any dragon god.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Would somebody please enlighten me as to how in the F-ing hell that is not a gish?
    From the sound of it, just change the M to an S in Swordmage to get a good idea of what they'll be like.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.