New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Untraceable Messages

IF YOUR PC'S NAME IS OLIVER, LUCIUS OR FOUR, PLEASE DON'T READ THIS THREAD.

If you were a 17th level Arcana Cleric in Sharn (Eberron) and needed to anonymously and untraceably communicate a 1-2 sentence message to someone, how would you do it? Assume they trust you and you're in regular contact, but *nobody* must know you're the sender.
    EDIT: The message also needs to be private (i.e. not a booming voice that anyone can hear, or written on a wall in a public space).
    Last edited by NecessaryWeevil; 2022-05-25 at 11:47 AM.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Untraceable Messages

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    If you were a 17th level Arcana Cleric in Sharn (Eberron) and needed to anonymously and untraceably communicate a 1-2 sentence message to someone, how would you do it? Assume they trust you and you're in regular contact, but *nobody* must know you're the sender.
    EDIT: The message also needs to be private (i.e. not a booming voice that anyone can hear, or written on a wall in a public space).
    Sending might do it. Though the target does know you sent it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Dream.
    10 char
    Hacks!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

By nobody, I assume that you don't even want the recipient to know that you sent the message?

5. - Top - End - #5

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mjp1050 View Post
    By nobody, I assume that you don't even want the recipient to know that you sent the message?
    Correct.

Thanks Corran, I think Dream will do nicely. It's actually kind of a signature spell of another PC, so that's even better.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Galder's speedy courier (dnd beyond) can also work. Depending on how you rule on the target knowing the content, you could theoritically place small objects in the shape of letters (ie alphabet) inside the box. This way the target doesn't need to open the box, so essentially the box wont be opened at all (since anyone who is not the target cannot open it). If the message is not long then constructing the message could be doable by just knowing the letters.

Edit: Of course there's always the risk of the recipient opening the box, or writing down the letters in a parchment or something. Maybe filling it with poison would prevent opening it, though how you would warn the recipient not to note anything down is a bit more tricky.
    Last edited by Corran; 2022-05-17 at 05:54 PM.
    Hacks!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

If you can disguise your voice, animal messenger may also work, but if you have access to dream, that should do what you need.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Write it on a little piece of paper, tie it to a bird's leg, and then cast Animal Messenger and just don't record any audio.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

9. - Top - End - #9

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Write it on a little piece of paper, tie it to a bird's leg, and then cast Animal Messenger and just don't record any audio.
    Yeah, I'm just worried that associating myself with any sort of item that's going to end up in the recipient's hands, may make me easier to trace.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Yeah, I'm just worried that associating myself with any sort of item that's going to end up in the recipient's hands, may make me easier to trace.
    So have someone else write it while you tell them what to write.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

TomeLock invocation Far Scribe allows the use of Sending to a number of folks (equal to your proficiency bonus) who have written their names in your book.

Basically unlimited uses; they hear the message and can respond, but you have to write it. So it may not be heard in your voice in case someone is reading their mind.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

12. - Top - End - #12

PaladinGuy

Unfortunately both of the above suggestions result in someone knowing that I'm the sender. one of these suggestions results in the sender knowing I sent it, and the other in a third party knowing the content of the note, that it comes from me, and that I'm probably sending it to *somebody*.
    Last edited by NecessaryWeevil; 2022-05-19 at 05:15 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Could you not have some sort of code that only the person you are sending the message to would understand that its from you? Perhaps one intentionally misspelled word.

Also a pseudonym comes to mind, that seems pretty simple actually.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Unfortunately both of the above suggestions result in someone knowing that I'm the sender. one of these suggestions results in the sender knowing I sent it, and the other in a third party knowing the content of the note, that it comes from me, and that I'm probably sending it to *somebody*.
    All you need to do is add more proxies (7 is the traditional number). For instance, you can have the message accumulated from a series of much smaller, fragmentary messages, each one passing through a different chain of people and sources.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

If you want to be TOTALLY untraceable, you might benefit from something like nondetection, mind blank, or mordenkainen's private sanctum. This leans on a DM call, but this might even stop divination spells from proving who sent the message after the fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    Could you not have some sort of code that only the person you are sending the message to would understand that its from you? Perhaps one intentionally misspelled word.

Also a pseudonym comes to mind, that seems pretty simple actually.
    Illusory script does this for you. A message written in code (I think there’s a background that explicitly grants this but anyone can do it) and also written using illusory script would be even better. You can even teleport the letter directly to the destination I believe.

The issue with all the physical object ones is there is a route back to the source. Like… the paper it is written on can provide a teleport right back to where it came from potentially. Oops.

Dream is definitely the top option I think. There are a LOT of lesser options though.

Typically the level of effort depends on the resources of the people trying to counter you. Maybe more detail about that could provide options other than dream that will work.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Closed Account

Phantasmal Force is a great candidate for clandestine and covert communication.
    Last edited by Thunderous Mojo; 2022-05-19 at 10:15 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

PaladinGuy

Hmm, yeah, Phantasmal Force could work, though the drawbacks are A) the saving throw and B) the 60-foot range. Being out of line of sight while casting is definitely preferable. Yeah, Dream is still the top contender.

As for animorte's code word suggestion, I don't want anyone to know it's from me.

Regarding the resources of those trying to counter me, they're pretty substantial. I don't know whether my fellow players read this forum, so...

I'm basically sort-of betraying two sides at once. One has the resources of a nation-state, including a pretty impressive intelligence organization. The other one has access to a handful of high-level adventurers and could probably pay a moderate sum of money for more assistance. Although the latter side is also the one I'm sending the message to, and they may not want to be public about its contents; if the former side gets wind of its contents, then the message become much less helpful to its recipient.
    Last edited by NecessaryWeevil; 2022-05-21 at 10:27 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

You could use one of the Trasha summon spells as a messenger. Sure, there will be a creature delivering the message, but so what? It cease to exist the moment you drop concentration. There's nobody to ask for any details concerning the casters, unlike normal summons where there's a miniscule chance someone else may summon them. Alternatively, anything that can't speak... tiny servants, animated objects, even random corpses raised as undead.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Modify memory on the recipient has some potential too, if you get the opportunity to ever cast it on them. It can be easily removed if someone suspects it, though how easy or difficult it would be for someone to suspect it is hard to say for someone who doesn't play at your table. The upside to the increased risk you are taking and to the increased difficulty of putting it into effect, is that you could potentially use it to make the recipient more likely to believe and act on the information you want them to (as a modified memory can be far more difficult to dismiss than something like a dream, due to raising less suspicion for the targeted individual because the recipient is far less likely to question it after it have landed successfully than say, a dream spell which could very well be a trick in the eyes of someone who is familiar enough with the workings of magic). Probably better suited for a long con with a well timed trigger than if you just want to force/trick a certain one time action at any random given point from someone though.
    Last edited by Corran; 2022-05-22 at 08:43 AM.
    Hacks!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

I would summon an otherworldly servitor to deliver the message of course.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    This, or honestly just a courier and disguise magic (no idea if Arcana Clerics get any, but it's nowhere near impossible to get your hands on it at 17th level).

Keep your message as short and direct as possible to avoid your writing style from showing or intentionally adopt a different style. Print it instead of writing it to stop handwriting from being an issue, and use new ink and paper to minimise the effectiveness of magical tracing. To make tracing even harder send it as slowly as you can afford to.

It's not perfect, but it's likely good enough. Any more secure and you're potentially losing range or clarity.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    This, or honestly just a courier and disguise magic (no idea if Arcana Clerics get any, but it's nowhere near impossible to get your hands on it at 17th level).

Keep your message as short and direct as possible to avoid your writing style from showing or intentionally adopt a different style. Print it instead of writing it to stop handwriting from being an issue, and use new ink and paper to minimise the effectiveness of magical tracing. To make tracing even harder send it as slowly as you can afford to.

It's not perfect, but it's likely good enough. Any more secure and you're potentially losing range or clarity.
    Make sure the paper isn’t from an incriminating location though. Teleport with an “associated item” takes you straight there. I hope you didn’t write your message in your study…

Dream is still the winner. Nation state and high level adventurers pretty much crushes any other option.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willowhelm View Post
    Make sure the paper isn’t from an incriminating location though. Teleport with an “associated item” takes you straight there. I hope you didn’t write your message in your study…
    Put on hat and false beard. Buy paper and ink. Go to cafe. Write letter.

That's not really a hard barrier to overcome. If your letter ends up.spanning multiple pages you could always write each in a different location.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Put on hat and false beard. Buy paper and ink. Go to cafe. Write letter.

That's not really a hard barrier to overcome. If your letter ends up.spanning multiple pages you could always write each in a different location.
    Sure. Just make sure you do.

And that the messenger can get to this guy, and not accidentally give it to someone else with the same description, and isn’t seen running from you to them, and they’re in range… and they don’t let it go and scry it on its return and and and and…

Or just use an option with no way to trace it (except through DM fiat). Like dream.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Or just use an option with no way to trace it (except through DM fiat). Like dream.
    Not that I dont agree that dream is better than delivering the message by a note (however cleverly one might go about it), but dream is not untraceable either. Commune could do the trick if you are asking an entity for whom it would be plaussible to know the answer (eg the cleric's deity, or a deity with the appropriate domain, such as dreams/nightmares or lies). Not too likely, and certainly there's DM dependence there, but I would not necessarily call it DM fiat just like I might do if someone attempted to do the same with something like a contarct other plane, since commune is made for these sort of things if you are lucky enough to have access to an an entity like the aforementioned ones.
    Hacks!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Not that I dont agree that dream is better than delivering the message by a note (however cleverly one might go about it), but dream is not untraceable either. Commune could do the trick if you are asking an entity for whom it would be plaussible to know the answer (eg the cleric's deity, or a deity with the appropriate domain, such as dreams/nightmares or lies). Not too likely, and certainly there's DM dependence there, but I would not necessarily call it DM fiat just like I might do if someone attempted to do the same with something like a contarct other plane, since commune is made for these sort of things if you are lucky enough to have access to an an entity like the aforementioned ones.
    Especially in Eberron, anything dream-related should be suspect.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Sure. Just make sure you do.

And that the messenger can get to this guy, and not accidentally give it to someone else with the same description, and isn’t seen running from you to them, and they’re in range… and they don’t let it go and scry it on its return and and and and…
    If we're intentionally trying to make a physical message untraceable then it's easy enough to ensure that it's not linked to you in any significant way.

Plus a courier likely to give it to the wrong person is not a courier who gets asked to deliver letters. This is Everton, get an address and send it with an actual business

Which, RAW, gives you a choice between appearing as yourself (and the target gets perfect recall) or monstrous enough to limit you to ten words and cause a nightmare.

Yes you can create images and change the landscape, but going by the text of the spell you're either appearing as you or causing nightmares. I'm sure you can use 'create objects/images' to give them a letter or put your message in mile tall flaming letters carved into a mountain, but then you're running the risk of them not paying attention.

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

There's always the old trope of paying a street urchin to deliver it.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Plus a courier likely to give it to the wrong person is not a courier who gets asked to deliver letters. This is Everton, get an address and send it with an actual business

Which, RAW, gives you a choice between appearing as yourself (and the target gets perfect recall) or monstrous enough to limit you to ten words and cause a nightmare.

Yes you can create images and change the landscape, but going by the text of the spell you're either appearing as you or causing nightmares. I'm sure you can use 'create objects/images' to give them a letter or put your message in mile tall flaming letters carved into a mountain, but then you're running the risk of them not paying attention.
    I believe animal messenger specifically says you give a description of the person. This isn’t a human courier who is going to a business address. (That’s an even more easily traced option)

When I’ve played with dream it’s like holodeck. You can shape the whole environment any way you like. That includes concealing yourself (even if you have to look like yourself).