New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Untraceable Messages

Quote Originally Posted by Willowhelm View Post
    I believe animal messenger specifically says you give a description of the person. This isn’t a human courier who is going to a business address. (That’s an even more easily traced option)

When I’ve played with dream it’s like holodeck. You can shape the whole environment any way you like. That includes concealing yourself (even if you have to look like yourself).
    And you don't have to look like yourself. Even if you argue the polite form of the spell doesn't give you the option not to, the nightmare version explicitly lets you look like some sort of hideous monster-creature.

As long as you don't mind afflicting your target with 3d6 psychic damage and a lack of a good night's sleep, you can deliver the message as a nightmare-horror rather than yourself.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    And you don't have to look like yourself. Even if you argue the polite form of the spell doesn't give you the option not to, the nightmare version explicitly lets you look like some sort of hideous monster-creature.

As long as you don't mind afflicting your target with 3d6 psychic damage and a lack of a good night's sleep, you can deliver the message as a nightmare-horror rather than yourself.
    Especially amusing given that my message was basically "So-and-so knows all your plans. I'm doing you a favour and I'm on your side."
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    Especially amusing given that my message was basically "So-and-so knows all your plans. I'm doing you a favour and I'm on your side."
    Again, this is Eberron. There's an entire plane full of literal nightmare monsters who pull that kind of stuff all the time. Anyone who knows about the Quori probably wouldn't be very inclined to trust such message.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    If you're on his side, and he already trusts you, why do you need to hide your identity as the message-sender from him?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    Again, this is Eberron. There's an entire plane full of literal nightmare monsters who pull that kind of stuff all the time. Anyone who knows about the Quori probably wouldn't be very inclined to trust such message.
    Ah, this makes sense now, thanks for clarifying.
    Hacks!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    If you're on his side, and he already trusts you, why do you need to hide your identity as the message-sender from him?
    Just so I'm not wasting anyone's time, I've already gone with the Dream option (yes, I hear the Quori thing, we'll see what the DM does with that).

Might as well tell you the whole story, since it's easier and it's pretty cool.

IF YOUR PC'S NAME IS OLIVER, LUCIUS, OR FOUR, STOP READING NOW!!

Right. So I'm playing the eldest son of a Karrnathi noble family, the former masters of the city of Atur, now exiled in Sharn for opposing the Treaty of Thronehold. We've ended up working for Greykell ir'Ryc, and (I think) the DM's custom NPC named Relena. Through various adventures, we've acquired data that reveal the cause of the Mourning and, Relena thinks, also a possibility of reversing it. So we're preparing for a mission into Cyre - very secret because Relena fears interference or competition from other nations.
    A few weeks ago (in game time) King Kaius of Karrnath offered to reinstate my family if we pledged renewed allegiance to him and publicly renounced the Blood of Vol, and, crucially, I agreed to spy on Relena and Greykell for him. My character's major theme is family loyalty and noblesse oblige, so I agreed.
    I've been feeding him everything, but I also think reversing the Mourning is a Good Thing, and I've come to see that not all Cyrans are murderous warmongers. Oh, and I worry that Kaius might interfere in a way that endangers my friends or myself. But if Kaius knows I've betrayed him, or he learns that my cover is blown, then I'm worthless or less than worthless to him and the deal is quite likely off. That's why I want to give Relena a warning that her plans are known (at least until we lift off and further dead drops become impossible) in a way that doesn't point back to me and hopefully discourages her from searching for the leak.
    Last edited by NecessaryWeevil; 2022-05-25 at 11:58 AM.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.