New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default She-Hulk on Disney+

Just out:

Looks like they're leaning hard into the MCU snark on this one. Overall vibe seems fun.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: She-Hulk on Disney+

I’ll echo what everyone else is saying right now: oof, that CGI seems dodgy.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

That didn't look too bad at all. The "Superhero Law" bit had a Damage Control vibe (spoiler: I thought the Damage Control miniseries was hilarious), but I don't know enough about the other comics to say how well it was adapted.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Didn't the comics recently make She-Hulk's physique more in line with that of her cousin? Then again, the current MCU Hulk is a green hot professor.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Didn't the comics recently make She-Hulk's physique more in line with that of her cousin? Then again, the current MCU Hulk is a green hot professor.
    That was in 2018, and it went away.

The Russians tried to nuke with a Gamma Bomb, Jen ate it it, overloaded, and burnt off all of her excess Gamma by channeling it into the body od dead celestial that the Avengers have been living in, which either removed the power up that made her super bulky or stabilized it so it no longer had a visual effect. Not sure yet.

Currently she's back in her own series but also has a guest spot int he current arc of Fantastic Four.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

I've always wanted a She Hulk series or movie, so I'm looking forward to seeing this! Seems like they're aiming for something lighthearted and I think we could use that brevity after the recent MCU films. ^^
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Good, this seems to be channeling that great snarky energy of the original. I hope we go full blown fourth wall breaking hilarity before the end. Some of the jokes fell a bit flat though, and the CGI looks good but I hope it flows better outside of the trailers. Cautiously optimistic despite every MCU TV show being kind of pants in some way.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

We're overdue for another low-stakes comedy. FATWS started off solid but got preachy and dull towards the end when the Karli Morgenthau stuff got more into focus. Loki and Moon Knight were funny but the stakes were almost blockbuster-level for both.

I *really* want her to represent/be friends with Jessica Jones/Luke Cage like she does in the comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

So do we seem to be getting these thematic clusters in the MCU?

• Cosmic and dimensional stuff: Loki, Eternals, Dr Strange, Thor, GG, Fantastic Four
    • Earth and sociopolitical issues: Captain America, Eternals, Black Panther, the Marvels,
    • Mysticism and "horror": WandaVision, Moon Knight, (Dr Strange), Werewolf by Night, House of Harkness, Blade, Black Knight
    • City life as a superhero: Hawkeye, Ms Marvel, She-hulk, Daredevil, Jessica Jones etc.
    Last edited by Clertar; 2022-05-18 at 09:29 AM.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Yeah. I do hope they fix that up before the show, it seemed...not ideal.

Also, question, while it's been a minute since I've read She-hulk, I was 90% sure that she didn't shift, but was always green. Got it from a Hulk blood transfusion or something? Am I misremembering, or is this show swapping all that around?

I want this to be good, but so far the signs are...rough.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Also, question, while it's been a minute since I've read She-hulk, I was 90% sure that she didn't shift, but was always green. Got it from a Hulk blood transfusion or something? Am I misremembering, or is this show swapping all that around?
    She does, but she keeps control when she's changed and she's not two separate people like Hulk and Banner, so she is much more comfortable just living as She-Hulk most of the time.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    She does, but she keeps control when she's changed and she's not two separate people like Hulk and Banner, so she is much more comfortable just living as She-Hulk most of the time.
    Makes sense. It is the form that is tall, strong, attractive, confident and famous. And there is weirder than being green in a Marvel world.

I wonder if the show will reveal that her cousin has been doing the same, now that he can be Hulk and Banner at the same time. Did he ever say that he was stuck like this?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Concur with this.

Also, is that a Power Ranger at 1:23??? (I’m pretty sure the answer is ‘no’ but I’m not familiar with She Hulk and her supporting cast. I only recognize Abomination because he’s showed up before. )

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    I wonder if the show will reveal that her cousin has been doing the same, now that he can be Hulk and Banner at the same time. Did he ever say that he was stuck like this?
    I don’t think so, but it’s unclear. IIRC he told Scott during Endgame that he’d gotten to Prof. Hulk format by experimenting for a year or so and made a comment about being ‘the best of both worlds.’

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga
    IIRC he told Scott during Endgame that he’d gotten to Prof. Hulk format by experimenting for a year or so and made a comment about being ‘the best of both worlds.’
    “For years I’ve been treating the Hulk like he’s some kind of disease, something to get rid of. But then I started looking at him as the cure. Eighteen months in the gamma lab, I put the brains and the brawn together—and now look at me. Best of both worlds.”

This is all the explanation we get in Endgame. Sounds as if MCU Banner made a decision to stop fighting Hulk and encourage him, which led him to some sort of reconciliation.

When I first saw this in the theater, I misheard “gamma lab” as “gamelan,” and for a while I was assuming that Banner went on some sort of spiritual odyssey mediated by Eastern musical traditions. I actually like that more than the gamma lab version.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    We're overdue for another low-stakes comedy. FATWS started off solid but got preachy and dull towards the end when the Karli Morgenthau stuff got more into focus. Loki and Moon Knight were funny but the stakes were almost blockbuster-level for both.

I *really* want her to represent/be friends with Jessica Jones/Luke Cage like she does in the comics.
    Since she's a lawyer, I would be surprised if She-Hulk didn't interact with Matt Murdock at some point in her series.

Likewise, I haven't finished Jessica Jones S3, but one of the main characters of her series was also a lawyer, Hogarth.

Seems like a pretty easy way to connect up the Netflix MCU with Disney+ MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    “For years I’ve been treating the Hulk like he’s some kind of disease, something to get rid of. But then I started looking at him as the cure. Eighteen months in the gamma lab, I put the brains and the brawn together—and now look at me. Best of both worlds.”

This is all the explanation we get in Endgame. Sounds as if MCU Banner made a decision to stop fighting Hulk and encourage him, which led him to some sort of reconciliation.

When I first saw this in the theater, I misheard “gamma lab” as “gamelan,” and for a while I was assuming that Banner went on some sort of spiritual odyssey mediated by Eastern musical traditions. I actually like that more than the gamma lab version.
    Weird that in Shang-Chi post-credits, Banner shows up not-green.

P.S. Design of She-Hulk is weird, she has gigantic hands (CHUN-LI HANDS), but not a lot of muscular definition. I hope they can figure out the CGI a little better, because I like the fun tone of She-Hulk.
    Last edited by Joran; 2022-05-18 at 01:33 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

I believe the second half of the series title is making promises that Disney doesn't have any intent to keep. While the character can easily pull of an absurdist comedy satirizing the modern world in the context of popular and nostalgic media... I really don't think the mouse wants to do that because of branding purposes.

In fact, come on Disney. Pull the trigger on at least one of your comedy characters. Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, MCU Deadpool, SOMETHING
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by MCerberus
    Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, MCU Deadpool, SOMETHING
    …You do know there’s a Ms. Marvel series up next, right?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I’ve heard rumors of Deadpool 3 also.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, MCU Deadpool, SOMETHING
    I believe Squirrel Girl was part of a TV project...but one that got axed in 2021. So, uh, they tried, kind of. But no delivery, so I get the disappointment.

More Deadpool is likely to happen so long as Ryan Reynolds is on board. The first two were quite well liked, and the mouse is not shy about cashing in on profitable sequels.

20. - Top - End - #20

Completely lost track of the marvel schedule some time during the lockdown. What I saw with MODOK and the attempts at prestige series (Which especially WandaVision I thought fell flat) I decided to stop reading the tea leaves and just see what they actually produce. I honestly thought this series got the axe after the last piece of the big Inhumans push (the Squeenix game) faltered.

I believe Squirrel Girl was part of a TV project...but one that got axed in 2021. So, uh, they tried, kind of. But no delivery, so I get the disappointment.

More Deadpool is likely to happen so long as Ryan Reynolds is on board. The first two were quite well liked, and the mouse is not shy about cashing in on profitable sequels.
    I wouldn't really expect Disney to be okay with Deadpool when Deadpool works, but oddly then Chip 'n' Dale movie gives me hope because they aren't afraid to look at the meta around their IP and business practices. If you haven't seen the trailer, that movie looks like it's going to get weird.

But with the success of what Amazon is doing, why not GLA?
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

If they do the Great Lakes Avengers I want Coulson to be the MCU’s version of Mr. Immortal.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Also, is that a Power Ranger at 1:23???
    That is Titania, a recurring nemesis of She-Hulk in the comics. She’s being played by Jameela Jamil. (The news broke about this a while ago.)

There were actually two villainesses called Titania - an evil super-strong lady and another who was a wrestler that eventually got super-lust powers. (Think Poison Ivy.) They might have combined the two characters, which is why the Titania in the trailer has a funny costume - she’s a super-strong wrestler.

I wouldn’t be surprised if one episode is based on the She-Hulk story where Jen is trying to argue against the Mutant Registration Act in the Supreme Court and Titania keeps causing destruction outside the courthouse, prompting Jen to repeatedly have to ask for recesses to fight her.

Eventually time runs out to make oral arguments and Jen gets so mad she pounds the tar out of Titania, who meekly agrees to go to jail and stop bothering her.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2022-05-18 at 04:46 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't really expect Disney to be okay with Deadpool when Deadpool works, but oddly then Chip 'n' Dale movie gives me hope because they aren't afraid to look at the meta around their IP and business practices. If you haven't seen the trailer, that movie looks like it's going to get weird.

Well they don’t have to slap the Disney logo on it. Deadpool they can keep the fox logo on it and stick it on you Hulu instead of Disney Plus. Where you can find Deadpool 1&2 and Logan.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Milana Vayntrub sadly didn't get to do her live action Squirrel Girl, but for the past few weeks she's been doing a Squirrel Girl audio series written by Ryan North that's been a good consolation prize. She's pitch perfect in the role.

It's on Sirius, but I've been getting it through Amazon Music.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

This is actually the first MCU thing I've been super interested in since Endgame came out, so I'm kinda hyped. I was saying to my brother months ago that if they decided to make a She-Hulk courtroom dramedy I'd be all-in for it.

Might force me to actually sign up for Disney+, in which case I could watch the couple of other things I have a vague interest in too (mostly Shang-Chi).

It's too bad the CG looks spotty. I'm honestly not sure why they couldn't use practical effects and camera tricks for She-Hulk, would probably fit the TV budget better, and shouldn't be too big an issue since I assume the action will be pretty low overall. Maybe didn't want to put stress on the actress to achieve the unrealistic physique She-Hulk has?
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2022-05-18 at 07:23 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    I believe Squirrel Girl was part of a TV project...but one that got axed in 2021.
    This was Marvel Rising, which is on Disney+.

It’s an odd mishmash, with Squirrel Girl, Spider-Gwen, Kamala Khan, America Chavez and a couple others, plus a guest appearance by Daisy Johnson, voiced by Chloe Bennett from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. It seemed to be an attempt to bring together a number of these characters into one continuity, but it was very lightweight.

Originally Posted by Rynjin
    Maybe didn't want to put stress on the actress to achieve the unrealistic physique She-Hulk has?
    So far as I know, they didn’t require Mark Ruffalo to put on any physical mass, so no reason why they should try that for Tatiana Maslany.

As for the CGI quality, trailers aren’t always precise matches to the final product, so I’m not too concerned. (For a Hulk-related example, see the trailers for Infinity War.)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

So far as I know, they didn’t require Mark Ruffalo to put on any physical mass, so no reason why they should try that for Tatiana Maslany.
    I meant in the hypothetical scenario that they just put her in green paint and filmed to make her look taller, rather than using CG.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That is Titania, a recurring nemesis of She-Hulk in the comics. She’s being played by Jameela Jamil. (The news broke about this a while ago.)

There were actually two villainesses called Titania - an evil super-strong lady and another who was a wrestler that eventually got super-lust powers. (Think Poison Ivy.) They might have combined the two characters, which is why the Titania in the trailer has a funny costume - she’s a super-strong wrestler.

I wouldn’t be surprised if one episode is based on the She-Hulk story where Jen is trying to argue against the Mutant Registration Act in the Supreme Court and Titania keeps causing destruction outside the courthouse, prompting Jen to repeatedly have to ask for recesses to fight her.

Eventually time runs out to make oral arguments and Jen gets so mad she pounds the tar out of Titania, who meekly agrees to go to jail and stop bothering her.
    Yeah, original Titania was given her powers by Dr. Doom during the original Secret Wars back in the 80s. Her and the Wrecking Crew nearly beat She Hulk to death.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I meant in the hypothetical scenario that they just put her in green paint and filmed to make her look taller, rather than using CG.
    Presumably there would be problems with having her shift form between the more normal human physique and her super form.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Presumably there would be problems with having her shift form between the more normal human physique and her super form.
    Isn't She-Hulk almost permanently "Hulked"?