New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: She-Hulk on Disney+

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Indeed. So they should be able to have a better she-hulk than they do.
    Second this. CGI and practical effects can both be done well. The issue is, this CGI wasn’t done well. If they did practical effects instead but it was bad practical effects, I’d still be complaining.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga
    The issue is, this CGI wasn’t done well.
    I’ll wait to judge until I see the final product, which is still three months away.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I’ll wait to judge until I see the final product, which is still three months away.
    Every Marvel TV show with CGI is 3 months away!

I kid, I kid for I know what you mean and I just went there for a joke. But seriously what Palanan said! In anime (not the same thing) it is quite common for what airs on television is not the same final product as what is sold on Blu-Ray with more cgi / special effects added on and 2D quickly drawn panels to be fixed if there were obvious errors.

Not saying this is going to happen with MCU shows, but I would not be surprised if the trailer does not match the show. Afterall with WandaVision scenes were cut from the final for they were doing CGI until the last week prior to airing the finale. Likewise they re-released one of the post credit scenes due to cgi that was tied to the Multiverse of Madness. I do not expect this to happen again, but the beauty (I mean horror), of just in time compile we can finish a tv show or a movie they day prior to release
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2022-05-20 at 05:12 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

I've been burned by this attitude too much recently to buy into it again.

"Oh the Wheel of Time show will be better than the trailers!"

"Oh the Halo show will be better than the trailers!"

I'm just gonna accept the CG will suck and hope everything else is good when I watch it.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I mean, they fixed the Sonic CGI after enough people complained. Who's to say they won't rebuild Shulk?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I mean, they fixed the Sonic CGI after enough people complained. Who's to say they won't rebuild Shulk?
    Didn't they also have to delay the movie by like half a year and do some serious crunch to manage even that?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

And yet Mark Ruffalo is only 5’8”, not exactly bulked, and he did a convincing job playing an 8’2” character.
    TV budget, folks. They could just use the existing high end model from the movies for Hulk, She Hulk has to be created from scratch. Has there been any other similar shows with a large shapeshiftiing character? What effects did they use? And how did it look?

If your benchmark is Hobbiton, that won't be met, because this production is nowhere near that scale. And the automatic assumption that practical = better is very suspect.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    This is why I complain now rather than wait. After the show comes out == too late for meaningful fixes.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

This is why I complain now rather than wait. After the show comes out == too late for meaningful fixes.
    But you’re assuming they’re not working on it now, and won’t be working on it for the next three months.

It would help to know what their workflow is like and just how close to release date they continue working. Unless people are contractually obligated to stop work at some point, I'd assume they can continue until shortly before the 15th.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Didn't they also have to delay the movie by like half a year and do some serious crunch to manage even that?
    Yep and the animators' reward was to be immediately laid off once it was done.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

But you’re assuming they’re not working on it now, and won’t be working on it for the next three months.
    I am not. I am assuming that complaining about the bad CGI isn’t going to stop them if they’re already working on it, and if they’re not it might get them back on it, ergo there are no downsides from my perspective. From Disney/Marvel’s perspective 1.) that’s what they get for putting out a trailer with bad CGI and 2.) they’ll survive a little bad press.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

That was changing a character model and having to re edit a film to fit the newchanges to the design. This is just adding textures and doing more rendering. Remember the only reason we're seeing the early CG is because of a shareholder event, and trailers have to be released to coincide with them. Even when effects aren't complete.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Remember the only reason we're seeing the early CG is because of a shareholder event, and trailers have to be released to coincide with them. Even when effects aren't complete.
    That explains it; for some reason I was thinking their shareholder stuff was in the fall.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The CGI s awful... Hopefully it gets better, but I'm not holding my breath. That wouldn't be enough to turn me away from the show... But given Marvel's recent productions... I'm expecting She-Hulk to be mediocre at best.

We'll see...
    Homebrew Stuff:

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

I am assuming that complaining about the bad CGI isn’t going to stop them if they’re already working on it, and if they’re not it might get them back on it....
    I always appreciate your comments, but I’m not sure that comments in this thread will have any effect on workflow decisions at Disney+.

…for some reason I was thinking their shareholder stuff was in the fall.
    The Disney Investor Day and Disney Plus Day have been in November and December the past couple years, but it varies.

Originally Posted by Lemmy
    But given Marvel's recent productions... I'm expecting She-Hulk to be mediocre at best.
    I wouldn’t have given it a second thought if it weren’t for Tatiana Maslany. She’s phenomenal. If anyone can make this show a layered and hilarious ride, it’s her.

Last edited by Palanan; 2022-05-21 at 05:58 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

The Disney Investor Day and Disney Plus Day have been in November and December the past couple years, but it varies.

Disney had their Quarterly Earnings released on the 11th and their digital media summit on the 18th. So it's no coincidence that they'd want a big trailer to drop between those two days.

AKA
    We don't care if it's done or not, get it out before the 18th.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I wouldn’t have given it a second thought if it weren’t for Tatiana Maslany. She’s phenomenal. If anyone can make this show a layered and hilarious ride, it’s her..
    Sadly, even great actors and actresses can't save a bad script... And I've seen too many instances of good actors giving crappy performances on action/superhero movies.

I mean, I hope you're right and the series turns out to be good... She-hulk used to be one of my favorite Marvel characters when I still cared about Marvel comics... But based on recent precedents, I wouldn't bet on it.
    Homebrew Stuff:

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

It was certainly costly to fix Sonic, but was definitely for the best. It ended up being a pretty decent movie which led to a pretty decent sequel. Otherwise, it would have been panned badly and failed.

Fixing it was absolutely the right call.

There are probably cases where listening to fans is not practical or too costly, but generally, if a massive portion of your prospective audience is complaining, its probably worth at least running the numbers.

Now, alone, yeah, we're just a handful of people, but if everyone watching is having this basic conversation, as kind of was the case with Sonic, that....should indeed be something the Mouse cares about.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    It was certainly costly to fix Sonic, but was definitely for the best. It ended up being a pretty decent movie which led to a pretty decent sequel. Otherwise, it would have been panned badly and failed.

Fixing it was absolutely the right call.

There are probably cases where listening to fans is not practical or too costly, but generally, if a massive portion of your prospective audience is complaining, its probably worth at least running the numbers.

Now, alone, yeah, we're just a handful of people, but if everyone watching is having this basic conversation, as kind of was the case with Sonic, that....should indeed be something the Mouse cares about.
    What really pushed them to change it wasn't fans being upset, it's the general audiences being upset. No one cares about " The Fans " Because they make up such a small minority of the movie going audience.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Someone give me Sex Space and the City, with Thor-Portman, Valkyrie, She-Hulk, and Loki.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep and the animators' reward was to be immediately laid off once it was done.
    Perhaps fandom needs to be more attentive to CG artists if we want them to improve. If we knew more about them and who was doing good work in the industry without abusing their employees, maybe some of them could get enough clout to make abusive practices more difficult. Put fandom influence to good use for once.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard
    Perhaps fandom needs to be more attentive to CG artists if we want them to improve. If we knew more about them and who was doing good work in the industry without abusing their employees, maybe some of them could get enough clout to make abusive practices more difficult. Put fandom influence to good use for once.
    Best thing said in this thread so far.