New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Create trap and undead

So, logic tells me that most traps are piercing and slashing but they dont actually say?

Create trap creates specific traps;

<quote Common create trap spell use>
    <quote Scything Blade Trap>

CR 1; mechanical; location trigger; automatic reset; Atk +8 melee (1d8/×3);
    Search DC 21; Disable Device DC 20. Market Price: 1,700 gp. </quote>

<quote Fusillade of Darts>

CR 1; mechanical; location trigger; manual reset; Atk +10 ranged
    (1d4+1, dart); multiple targets (fires 1d4 darts at each target in
    two adjacent 5-ft. squares); Search DC 14; Disable Device DC 20.
    Market Price: 500 gp. </quote>

<quote Spear Trap>

CR 1; mechanical; location trigger; manual reset; Atk +12 ranged
    (1d8/×3, spear); Search DC 20; Disable Device DC 20. Note: 200-ft.
    max range, target determined randomly from those in its path.
    Market Price: 1,200 gp. </quote>

<quote Basic Arrow Trap>

CR 1; mechanical; proximity trigger; manual reset; Atk +10 ranged
    (1d6/×3, arrow); Search DC 20; Disable Device DC 20. Market Price: 2,000 gp.
    </quote>
    </quote>

I'm probably going to favor the scything blade trap but its probably not going to be very effective against skeletons... ya?

I mean, it doesnt say a damage type.
    Last edited by Shinoskay; 2022-05-28 at 12:15 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Create trap and undead

Quote Originally Posted by Shinoskay View Post
    So, logic tells me that most traps are piercing and slashing but they dont actually say?

Create trap creates specific traps;

Quote Originally Posted by Common create trap spell use
    Quote Originally Posted by Scything Blade Trap

CR 1; mechanical; location trigger; automatic reset; Atk +8 melee (1d8/×3);
    Search DC 21; Disable Device DC 20. Market Price: 1,700 gp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusillade of Darts

CR 1; mechanical; location trigger; manual reset; Atk +10 ranged
    (1d4+1, dart); multiple targets (fires 1d4 darts at each target in
    two adjacent 5-ft. squares); Search DC 14; Disable Device DC 20.
    Market Price: 500 gp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spear Trap

CR 1; mechanical; location trigger; manual reset; Atk +12 ranged
    (1d8/×3, spear); Search DC 20; Disable Device DC 20. Note: 200-ft.
    max range, target determined randomly from those in its path.
    Market Price: 1,200 gp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic Arrow Trap

CR 1; mechanical; proximity trigger; manual reset; Atk +10 ranged
    (1d6/×3, arrow); Search DC 20; Disable Device DC 20. Market Price: 2,000 gp.
    I'm probably going to favor the scything blade trap but its probably not going to be very effective against skeletons... ya?

I mean, it doesnt say a damage type.

you need square brackets (rather than triangular) in your quote code, and equals signs if there's a heading.

(Although for something like this I would just put it in quotation marks as this forum has a tendency to lose pieces of the post code if you try to quote something that already has a quote in it)
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DMG p.69-70 says that Ranged and Melee Attack Traps "deal the same damage as the weapons they 'wield'".

The Basic Arrow Trap is (1d6/x3, arrow), the Fussilade of Darts is (1d4+1, dart) (but 1d4 darts total, natch), the Scything Blade Trap is (1d8/x3), and the Spear Trap is (1d8/x3).

The damage types here are pretty self-explanatory from the names of the traps, but we can cross-reference with the Player's Handbook to double-check.

Arrows deal 1d8/x3 piercing. Spears do 1d8/x3 piercing, so right on.
    1d4/x2 piercing damage is, in fact, what a dart does. The +1 is presumably just added to bring the average up a bit, but the trap CR rules are loose enough to allow that. (8.75 damage is +1CR, search DC 14 is -1CR.)

The Scything Blade Trap is presumably slashing (or, well, scything), and while 1d8/x3 isn't featured on any sword it could just as well be a battleaxe. (Note that it's not an actual scythe - that honor goes to the Wall Blade Trap, which deals (2d4/x4, scythe).)

Really, the thing you should be doing is worrying less about the damage type (it's fairly obvious) and more about the automatic reset time on the scything blade trap. Can you expect it to deal 1d8 damage per round to an unfortunately placed enemy, or is the automatic reset on a timer? Ask your DM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini476 View Post
    Really, the thing you should be doing is worrying less about the damage type (it's fairly obvious) and more about the automatic reset time on the scything blade trap. Can you expect it to deal 1d8 damage per round to an unfortunately placed enemy, or is the automatic reset on a timer? Ask your DM.
    Well, either way doesnt quite matter, once a round or to each enemy that passes each time they pass. doesnt matter. that auto reset is the whole point. I can lure enemies into a dead end, teleport out. meaning they potentially get hit twice by the trap. Personally, I think its instant but I'm making sure to plan for if it isnt. A lone little level 1 wizard lost out in the woods and there are potentially baddy orcs and potentially undead. I can probably handle an orc or two with the arsenal I've picked up... made sure to get abrupt jaunt, sadly my int only lets me do it twice. but thats potentially 2 hits avoided.
    I've found myself an uncovered funnel with near unclimbable 10 feet high walls and only 1 real way in. So i've got an escape plan, but i'd like to try to kill one or two threats with that escape plan. Not much I can do against undead though, not at level 1. Unless the trap is deemed magical somehow, like if it's untyped by raw, or something.

Currently working on crafting stealth gear.

Really great display of understanding behind the mechanics by the way. I enjoyed reading the logic of your post and appreciate your perspective.