New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Gargantuan isn't really that big

Quote Originally Posted by pothocboots View Post
    Yes, good. Happens a bit more than 1 in 400.
    Edit: Doing some math. There are 3 rolls the kraken can fail when the spider rolls 20.
    2 when the spider rolls 19, 1 when the spider rolls 18. so 6/400
    1.5% if ties go to the defender
    2.5% if ties got to the attacker

This is what bounded accuracy was meant to maintain I thought. Even the smallest and weakest foe can still cause difficulties.
    The kraken still has the option of killing the spider and then moving.
    Bounded accuracy is about maintaining relevance across levels more than across sizes. 5e is full of absolute cutoffs to close the gaps created by bounded accuracy.

Note, though, that I was mostly just finding amusement in that. I would expect that no DM is going to let the spider even roll, for the same reason that he doesn't feel the need to grant a DC 30 Strength (Athletics) check to let a bog standard human flap his arms and fly.

I'm also not saying that you should stick to the two size category difference max, if you don't want to. I'm all for it when you've got a believable narrative as to why it works. I was deliberately being ridiculous because it amused me. (That it also highlights a reason for the existing rules is a bonus, but not an argument that says the existing rules cannot be altered.)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Gargantuan isn't really that big

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    I was deliberately being ridiculous because it amused me. (That it also highlights a reason for the existing rules is a bonus, but not an argument that says the existing rules cannot be altered.)
    It amused me as well. And is a good illustration, I'll likely use it in future session zeros to help set what the tone should be.