New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The LA Assignment Thread XII: the LA-bors of Heracles

Hmm... and that charge damage doubling should stack with Combat Brute and Shock Trooper as well. And of course Power Attack. Think there's some Tiger Claw maneuvers that synergize with having a bunch of attacks as well.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Gravbeast sounds as +2 for me.
    Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

Ice for all and let no one be forgotten!
    Welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLIV: Ice-IX

Competition's medals.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    Don't snakes eat baby birds? I would've though this would be the source of your dislike of cats.
    Some snakes will sometimes do that, sadly, and I'm not happy about that as such, but y'see, snakes are at least respectable predators about them. They have lower populations, slower metabolism, less of a penchant for surplus killing and no single species of them is an invasive pest thst's just freaking everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Lamia was a demon.
    Which, especially in a classical context, is about as meaningful and tight an umbrella term as "animal" or "monster".

Nosferatu was a vampire.
    Nope. Originally, it is a corrupted form for an alleged name of a class of beings.

Fenrir/the Fenris Wolf was a wolf.
    Okay, so?

Coatls (or whatever a given story calls them—I'm pretty sure I saw one that called them quetzals) are plumed serpents, or feathered serpents, or ampitheres.
    The Couatl is named after a singular entity, and clearly based on it. There is no good species name available for it. Amphipteres are superficially similar, but of an entirely different origin, and more dragon-type animals than powerful Outsiders.

The Barghest was a black dog, or a hellhound if you're feeling poetic.
    I could go on. I could also list examples like Empusa, where we can observe the transition from individual to kind in the historical record.
    Okay, thank you. That is a second example besides Medusa, if a somewhat more obscure one. That's still not a "well-established pattern", nevertheless.

I'm sure you can invent a specific enough rule that includes all the individual-as-species examples you like and excludes all the ones you don't. Who cares? Words aren't used based on complicated definitions. We invent complicated definitions for words to explain how they're used.
    I'll repeat it once more: I'm not coming up with a series of increasingly complicated definitions. I specified one criterion: whether there is a quasi-species or there isn't and applied that one criterion consistently. And the default convention seems to be "if it has a species-type name, that name is used; if it's a singular entity, its name can be generalized". A couple instances of sloppiness will not make me think sloppiness is a good idea, and certainly not by simple virtue of "some guy thought it might as well go".

4. - Top - End - #934
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Good stats (literally better than the displacer beast in every way) with bonuses where it needs them, massive pouncing capabilities, and weird gravity powers. Weird gravity powers, especially, are much better for a PC knowing what they do than for a monster in battle. Falling upwards over enemy fortifications is one thing, but it can technically bring everyone with it since it can cast levitate at will. Grappling and other combat maneuvers are nice (especially Trip, since it can spread it with each claw), but I wonder especially what happens exactly when it activates Personal Gravity. Can it instantly, with no action, go up 450ft (the distance one falls in one round)? Can it Pounce while falling down?
    I find it extremely cool to imagine a fighter going for the kill on the Gravbeast, but it seems to jump just before the hit connects, goes up several hundred feet, then comes crashing back down, mauling the poor fighter, but I don't know it it is mechanically feasible.
    Anyway, 6 claw attacks (2d6+Str, or even 5d6+Str if you take Powerful Charge, which you should) is plenty, and enough to remain competitive even much later in your progression. More concerningly, using something like Battle Leader's Charge to add 10 damage on each attack becomes extremely dangerous. I'm unclear on how doubling damage works with charging maneuvers. Does the bonus damage apply to each hit or just the first? Does it get doubled or is it only the damage from the claws?

All in all, despite the bad body type, I can agree on LA+2, and could be convinced to +3 depending on the answers to the above questions.

It's interesting to see that the gravbeast also hates blink dogs. It might be because blink dogs mistake them for displacer beasts and attack them on sight, or it might be for the same reason blink dogs and displacer beasts hate each other : their supernatural abilities interfere with each other. For the displacer beast, displacement and blink work in similar way, warping space at short range to scatter light and go through the Ethereal (in 2e, Phase Trap, which was a spell meant to prevent ethereal travel, could prevent a displacer beast's displacement, which means it even had something to do with the boundary between the two planes). And for the Gravbeast, since high amounts of gravity can warp space, to the point of creating wormholes (see the Umbral Blot), it probably interacts weirdly with a blink dogs natural Dimension Door, thus attracting the blink dog's wrath as well.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: A Monster is Born! Come judge miraculous entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

Or it might just be a cat vs. dog thing.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Or it might just be a cat vs. dog thing.
    Oh, that's definitely the real-life origin, but it cannot be the in-universe explanation, or blink dogs would go around slaughtering lions, housecats, hellcats, sphinxes and (hahahahahahaha) sea cats, instead of specifically being out for displacer beast blood.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2024-02-12 at 10:32 AM.

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: A Monster is Born! Come judge miraculous entries!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Troll in the Playground

Continued discussion of the names thing.
    As I've already said, take it to its own thread at this point.
    Last edited by Debatra; 2024-02-12 at 02:20 PM.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Which, especially in a classical context, is about as meaningful and tight an umbrella term as "animal" or "monster".
    See, this is what I was saying about making up more specific rules to include examples you like and exclude ones you don't.

Nope. Originally, it is a corrupted form for an alleged name of a class of beings.
    Mea culpa.

Okay, so?
    "Fenrir," "fenris wolf," and other Fenrir derivatives are sometimes used to refer to various kinds of wolf monsters.

The Couatl is named after a singular entity, and clearly based on it.
    What do you mean, the coatl? There are plenty of fantasy works where coatls are a whole species of winged serpents, including D&D!

Okay, thank you. That is a second example besides Medusa, if a somewhat more obscure one. That's still not a "well-established pattern", nevertheless.
    How many examples will you demand I show you? How much BS will you throw at me to discredit them?

I'll repeat it once more: I'm not coming up with a series of increasingly complicated definitions. I specified one criterion: whether there is a quasi-species or there isn't and applied that one criterion consistently.
    I didn't say it was something you had done, just something you could do, as a rhetorical segue into the next sentences. That said, you have already done that when you said "It has to be a category that I, subjectively, think is narrow and meaningful".
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Troll in the Playground

Don't get me wrong; it's an interesting discussion, but it's somewhat derailing to the thread, especially since we've moved on to the next entry.

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamgaic Mod: two points, everyone.

1. Let's stay on topic. If everyone just ignored off-topic tangents, they would stop being a problem.
    2. Don't tell people where to post, even if you mean well, even if you think you're being helpful. Report all violations to the moderators and then ignore them.

Thanks, everyone.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

11. - Top - End - #941
    Troll in the Playground

Anyway, trying to get back on topic.

Only Beni and loky have voted so far, both for +2. But I don't want to call it yet.

Show

12. - Top - End - #942
    Titan in the Playground

What’s the closest comparison?

Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    What’s the closest comparison?
    A big bruiser with Pounce? Pretty obviously barbarian (Bear Warrior? Frenzied Berzerker?).

14. - Top - End - #944
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    Don't get me wrong; it's an interesting discussion, but it's somewhat derailing to the thread, especially since we've moved on to the next entry.
    Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]Metamgaic Mod: two points, everyone.

1. Let's stay on topic. If everyone just ignored off-topic tangents, they would stop being a problem.
    Copy that and sorry.