New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Sunny's Pictures

I guess this has been discussed already, but noone has started a thread on it.

1257 gives us new detail of Sunny's pictures.

The one on the top-left we can now see as a homely family picture.

The one on the top-right looks like a generic adventurer versus dragon fight. I guess it could be foreshadowing of characters we are yet to meet, but somehow I doubt that. I strongly suspect that this is an archetypal hero versus villains picture where the dragon is the hero.

The one on the bottom simply looks like the Snarl. That has to be the most intriguing point.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Sunny's Pictures

The dragon drawing most likely depicts Kraagor and Serini in an unknown adventure or encounter.
    ungelic is us

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    The dragon drawing most likely depicts Kraagor and Serini in an unknown adventure or encounter.
    Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    The one on the bottom simply looks like the Snarl. That has to be the most intriguing point.
    Why? It's consistent with everyone's story about the Snarl.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The colour of the dragon suggests a red dragon They are considered always Chaotic Evil, therefore unlikely to be fit for allies guarding the final layers of gate's defense. Then again, neither are Eye Tyrants, and this may well be a twist and a foreshadowing.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

5. - Top - End - #5

Flumph

The dragon has a broken horn. It's curious that Sunny has information anout how Kraagor and the Snarl looks like. Can Sunny see Serini's memories?
    Last edited by Precure; 2022-05-20 at 05:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    It's curious that Sunny has information anout how Kraagor and the Snarl looks like. Can Sunny see Serini's memories?
    Um, Kraagor hasd a literal statue not far from where Sunny lives. All Serini had to tell 'em was the colour of his hair. As for the Snarl, "tangle of blue and purple lines with two floating red eyes" is not as difficult to render in crayon as you make it sound.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The dragon has a broken horn. It's curious that Sunny has information anout how Kraagor and the Snarl looks like. Can Sunny see Serini's memories?
    They're stick figures.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #8

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    They're stick figures.
    I don't think they're supposed to be stick figures.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

She showed him how he looks like, Sunny filled in the details with his imagination. Then all the details were removed because they're stick figures
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think they're supposed to be stick figures.
    They're stick figures.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-05-21 at 10:00 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Um, Kraagor hasd a literal statue not far from where Sunny lives. All Serini had to tell 'em was the colour of his hair. As for the Snarl, "tangle of blue and purple lines with two floating red eyes" is not as difficult to render in crayon as you make it sound.
    "Mom, what color was Kraagor's hair?" -something Sunny probably said while drawing

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hey, now that you've pointed out the broken horn I'm convinced the dragon will appear at some point of the comic. It does not make sense to include it if the aim was to depict a random heroic tale, and it's not a reference to any other existing character as far as I know. The Giant is very good at subtle hints like that.
    Last edited by Mike Havran; 2022-05-22 at 01:06 AM.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Havran View Post
    It does not make sense to include it if the aim was to depict a random heroic tale
    Why not? ??????filler characters
    ungelic is us

14. - Top - End - #14

Hey, now that you've pointed out the broken horn I'm convinced the dragon will appear at some point of the comic. It does not make sense to include it if the aim was to depict a random heroic tale, and it's not a reference to any other existing character as far as I know. The Giant is very good at subtle hints like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I love the certainty expressed here. The fun part is that Sunken Valley PM'd me to come back him up on this thread, and he is totally and utterly wrong.

The lizardfolk details are world-building, not foreshadowing. It's the first clue that in part of this world (the part that the Oracle hails from), lizardfolk can be civilized businesspeople engaged in long-term contracts, as opposed to most D&D worlds where they run around in swamps with crude spears. It's a sneak peak at what the Western Continent will look like when we get there: half human, half reptilian. That's it.

The Oracle says, "Say hello to your boss for me," because it's small talk, and he's being friendly. Given that the Oracle is usually a jackass, this in turn reveals something about his personality: He is friendly and jovial to fellow reptilians, but not to mammals.

In other words, Conservation of Detail is overrated.
    It makes perfect sense of the aim of world building.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Default iRe: Sunny's Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I think it could go either way. If the scribblers knew about the World-Within, then their past adventures could become relevant, in turn meaning this drawing could be foreshadowing.

BUT it could also be that The Giant wanted Sunny to draw something random for variety's sake and he put in Serini and Kraagor meeting a dragon with a broken horn because why not? Hell, giving the dragon a broken horn might have been a way to avoid theorizing along the lines of "Serini is working with the Empress of Blood" or whatnot.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #16
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: iRe: Sunny's Pictures

... Hell, giving the dragon a broken horn might have been a way to avoid theorizing along the lines of "Serini is working with the Empress of Blood" or whatnot.
    Are you suggesting it might be... anti-foreshadowing?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: iRe: Sunny's Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Foreshadowon't.
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Why not? ??????filler characters
    Because if it is a heroic tale that will not affect the story forward in any way, the dragon needs no distinguishing feature. Whereas if the dragon will play a part in the story in the future, it's convenient to give it a distinguishing feature so the story feels more interconnected when it happens.

I'm uncertain how, in case the dragon itself does not appear again.

Hell, giving the dragon a broken horn might have been a way to avoid theorizing along the lines of "Serini is working with the Empress of Blood" or whatnot.
    As if there was a way to stop wild theories from cropping up on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Backshadowing.
    Last edited by Mike Havran; 2022-05-22 at 03:17 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Because if it is a heroic tale that will not affect the story forward in any way, the dragon needs no distinguishing feature. Whereas if the dragon will play a part in the story in the future, it's convenient to give it a distinguishing feature so the story feels more interconnected when it happens.

because it gives a sense of Serini having had adventures that are unrelated to th emain plot, thus making the wold seem more lived in? Introducing elements that have no explaantions but could be explained in a many ways is a frequent writing trick.

For example I still remember that in the second (I think? might be third) Eragon book, there's a random guard with premature white hair. Why and how this random dude's hair turned five decades in advance is never explained and he never really matters to the story, but it helps giving a sensation of depth to the world.
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

The mother of one of my childhood friends had basically all white hair from her twenties. It happens to some people.

21. - Top - End - #21

Allow me to paraphrase.

The lizardfolk dragon with the broken horn details are world-building, not foreshadowing. It's the first a clue that in part of this world (the part that the Oracle Order of the Scribble hails from), lizardfolk can be civilized businesspeople engaged in long-term contracts, as opposed to most D&D worlds where they run around in swamps with crude spears adventurers fight monsters. It's a sneak peak at what the Western Continent will look like when we get there: half human, half reptilian Order of the Scribble used to do. That's it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    The mother of one of my childhood friends had basically all white hair from her twenties. It happens to some people.
    Yes, I know.
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, the dracocentaur, the half-dragon with the world's smallest tower shield, the robed half-dragon mage, the four sexist adventurers in the Inn, the warlock, the soulknife and the monk in the Sunrise Bloody Sunrise, Sir Francois's murderhobo companions, that guy who tries to buy polearms from Jiminy, the female monsters in Dorukan's Bathroom &c. &c. all look pretty distinctive to me.

24. - Top - End - #24

Flumph

They are all real people, whereas dragon with broken horn is something Sunny drawn.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

They are all real people, whereas dragon with broken horn is something Sunny drawn.
    What difference does that make?
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #26

Flumph

What difference does that make?
    There is three drawings: one is of their family, other is of the thing they vow to protect world from, third one is the dragon with broken horn. It has to have some emotional impact on Sunny, or else they wouldn't put it there.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

There is three drawings: one is of their family, other is of the thing they vow to protect world from, third one is the dragon with broken horn. It has to have some emotional impact on Sunny, or else they wouldn't put it there.
    Yes, but that emotional impact could very well have been satisfaction with a really good drawing of a dragon.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

It appears to show Serini and Kraagor fighting or talking with that dragon. This lay simply be Sunny's favorite bed time story from Mum's old adventuring days.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #29

Flumph

It appears to show Serini and Kraagor fighting or talking with that dragon. This lay simply be Sunny's favorite bed time story from Mum's old adventuring days.
    And hopefully we'll see that story's details.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Allow me to paraphrase.

The lizardfolk dragon with the broken horn details are world-building, not foreshadowing. It's the first a clue that in part of this world (the part that the Oracle Order of the Scribble hails from), lizardfolk can be civilized businesspeople engaged in long-term contracts, as opposed to most D&D worlds where they run around in swamps with crude spears adventurers fight monsters. It's a sneak peak at what the Western Continent will look like when we get there: half human, half reptilian Order of the Scribble used to do. That's it.

Well, what more can I say? I believe the broken horn is significant and a foreshadowing, you think it's an insignificant worldbuilding detail. We'll see.