New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default "Prone" in Midair?

Basic question: can you shove "prone" a target in midair?

I don't see anything in the RAW which specifically prohibits it (admittedly, my search was cursory at best) if you simply use the Shove mechanics. But I'm wondering if there's any interaction of the rules which I've missed.

I'm particularly interested in whether you can hold "prone" a grappled creature while you're flying (via expending an attack to shove that grappled creature, not automatically). Presumably, this would be more like holding the creature in a manner which is particularly disadvantageous to it.

What say you?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: "Prone" in Midair?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Lombard-O View Post
    What say you?
    If the target can't hover, it falls sixty feet. I don't know why sixty, but the expectation is the flier can spread their wings after a couple seconds.

If the target can hover, knocking it prone in midair has no effect.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: "Prone" in Midair?

If I recall, Creatures that can’t hover fall if their speed is reduced to 0, so grappling a flying creature will generally make them prone in short order.

The only falling rules/rulings I’ve heard of in 5e is you fall up to 500 ft at the end of the turn you are made to fall. IE, an ally that wants to help needs to have a reaction available to do anything (grab a rope or your flailing limb etc).
    Last edited by BerzerkerUnit; 2022-05-22 at 04:55 PM.