New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Question Spearfishing Mechanics

So in the future of a campaign, I am running for my family, I have an area where they will have to option to spearfish. While I have an idea how the mechanics might work, I wanted to check and see if anyone else has done this before.

My thought is that the players have to roll a perception check to see the fish, before making a dex (maybe str as well) attack to hit the fish with the spear. What do you all think?

Is there a better way to go about this?
    Shy Tentacle Monster in the Playground... It's not as bad as it sounds, I swear.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Spearfishing Mechanics

May feel anticlimactic, but this seems to me like a simple Wisdom (Survival) proficiency check with higher numbers indicating greater degrees of sucess.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

How in depth do you want it to be?

Depth 3:
    You could ask each PC about their strategy/technique and then assign something based on that.

Default is Wisdom(Survival) but:
    Dexterity(Perception) might represent holding steady and striking as fast as possible when a fish is in line.
    Intelligence(Nature) with a +2 DC might represent striking in places you know fish hide.
    Dexterity(Deception) might represent feinting one direction and then striking where you diverted the fish.
    Charisma(Sleight of Hand) might represent cheating instead of fishing.

Depth 2:
    You could just use Wisdom(Survival) for each PC. Or some other consistent metric.

Depth 1:
    You could just use unmodified 1d20 for each PC.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2022-05-21 at 04:36 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Like downtime?

Make two checks of your choice from the following plus an attack roll using a javelin against random DCs (5 +2d10): Athletics, Nature, Perception, Survival. If you have the extra attack feature you can reroll one check or attack.
    No failures: Catch 3dX rations worth fish
    One failure: Catch 2dX rations worth fish with a complication (equipment failure, poisonous fish, accidental injury, etc)
    Two failures: Catch 1dX rations worth fish
    Three failures: Catch no fish and a complication
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImproperJustice View Post
    May feel anticlimactic, but this seems to me like a simple Wisdom (Survival) proficiency check with higher numbers indicating greater degrees of sucess.
    I could also see making a Wisdom (spear) check as well, likely the player's choice.

But I honestly wouldn't go past one check unless it becomes a big thing. Like 'challenging the village priest to competitive spear fishing' big. At which point you probably want a Wisdom (Perception) check to grant advantage to the first to spot a good catch and then a Dexterity (Spear) check, and then repeat this for a few rounds.

Do not compete against lizardfolk, their artificers specifically make spears for this eventuality.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

I suppose a Survival check could work.
    Shy Tentacle Monster in the Playground... It's not as bad as it sounds, I swear.