Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 33
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2007

    Default The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    I was browsing the Monster Manual 5 yesterday, and came across the entry on the Kuo-Tua. I figured it was just examples of the base race with some classes added, but upon closer inspection, they show 2 interesting new types of kuo-tua, specialty feats that make a very interesting kuo-tua monk build (or fighter build) and some new equipment/tactics for the last, not to mention giving off a certain 'Deep One' feel.

    Throughout all this, the Exalted kua-tua (forget the full name) follows a deity called 'Blipdoolpoolp' (sp?). They only give a tiny bit info (two of its domains: water and destruction) for this oddly named deity and nothing else. Was he/she/it ever printed anywhere? If so, which book?

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    York, England

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    In the Underdark sourccebook for Forgotten Realms.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2007

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    Thanks for the info! I'll have to look into getting that book. So Blip's just an FR deity?

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Manila, PH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    Blipdoolpoolp has been mentioned in MM1, without the new domains of course.
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2007

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    Is it under the Kuo-Tua section? I'll have to re-re-read it again.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Keld Denar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    Blipdoolpoolp recieves mention in the 2nd edition boxed set "A Night Below". She is the patron diety of Kuo-tua, and a bamf herself. Her favored weapon is the pincer staff, a pretty neat weapon in its own right. Large statues of her exist all over the City of the Glass Pool, a large Kuo-tua city stated out in that suppliment. Since "A Night Below" is a generic boxed adventure generic across several campaigns (FR, Greyhawk, Mystara), it can be safe to assume that she is one of the cross-setting dieties much the same way Moradin, Garl, Grumsh, Corellon, and most non-human dieties are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!
    _________________________________
    A beholder’s favorite foods include small live mammals, exotic mushrooms and other fungi, gnomes, beef, pork, colorful leafy vegetables, leaves, flower petals, insects, and birds.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Darrin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeFightwicky View Post
    Was he/she/it ever printed anywhere? If so, which book?
    Blipdoolpoolp has been in D&D since the 1st Edition. She first appeared in "D2 - Shrine of the Kuo Toa", which has been reprinted a couple times... "D1-2: Descent into the Depths of the Earth", for example, and I think there was a D1-3 at one point. Blipdoolpoolp was a Gary Gygax creation, named most likely to get a laugh out of his players, although Kuo-Toa were essentially H.P. Lovecraft's Deep Ones with the serial numbers filed off. She's not tied to any particular campaign world, so wherever you have Kuo-Toa, you'd have Blipdoolpoolp worshipped.

    As far as her stats, I don't believe those have ever been printed, but assuming Kuo-Toa = Deep Ones, you could probably use Cthulhu as a model (either the 1st Ed. Deities & Demigods version of the Cthulhu D20 version).

    For worship details, the Nonhuman Deities table on page 124 in Complete Divine lists her domains and favored weapon.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    He got 2 or 3 pages in 2E "Monster Mythology". Actually a nice book :)

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned
     
    Mr. Friendly's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Blipdoolpoolp has been in D&D since the 1st Edition. She first appeared in "D2 - Shrine of the Kuo Toa", which has been reprinted a couple times... "D1-2: Descent into the Depths of the Earth", for example, and I think there was a D1-3 at one point. Blipdoolpoolp was a Gary Gygax creation, named most likely to get a laugh out of his players, although Kuo-Toa were essentially H.P. Lovecraft's Deep Ones with the serial numbers filed off. She's not tied to any particular campaign world, so wherever you have Kuo-Toa, you'd have Blipdoolpoolp worshipped.

    As far as her stats, I don't believe those have ever been printed, but assuming Kuo-Toa = Deep Ones, you could probably use Cthulhu as a model (either the 1st Ed. Deities & Demigods version of the Cthulhu D20 version).

    For worship details, the Nonhuman Deities table on page 124 in Complete Divine lists her domains and favored weapon.
    I know she had stats in the Original 1st Edition Deities and Demigods and later (also 1e) Legends and Lore. I am trying to find some stats now..

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Shire of Glaedenfeld

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    She also has a little bit of information in Complete Divine in the "monster deities" table.
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!" -- Conan, on what is best in life

    "A good plan, executed violently now, is better than a perfect plan next week." -- George S. Patton, Jr.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned
     
    Rachel Lorelei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Rhine
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    Blipdoolpoolp is the best possible name for a water-type deity EVAR. C'mon, just say it out lout! Blipdoolpoolp!

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RTGoodman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    Ah, Blipdoolpoolp - possibly my favorite D&D deity. And definitely the one with the best name. (Which, in my opinion, is supposed to be not only a silly name, but sort of mimic the sound of dripping water, which is appropriate for a deity like the Sea Mother).

    I think somewhere I read quite a bit about here, but I'm not sure where. I just looked through my Living Greyhawk stuff, but to no avail. Maybe it was just in the Underdark book, which I've only looked through once.

    Oh, by the way, I'm pretty sure she's the only deity (besides the Divine Pseudonatural Paragon Damn Crab found elsewhere on this board) that grants the Watery Death domain, which is easily one of the coolest domains.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

    Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    i bet he got made fun of when he was growing up.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    Quote Originally Posted by the_tick_rules View Post
    i bet he got made fun of when he was growing up.
    Yeah, specially after that sex change. You know, being female and all.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

    Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

    Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    AslanCross's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Metro Manila, Philippines
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    What I always found strange about Blipdoolpoolp is that she looks nothing like the Kuo-Toa. While the Kuo-Toa are fish/frogmen, the Sea Mother looks like a human with the head and pincers of a lobster, last I checked.


    Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

    "I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    What a dumb name.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Ganurath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Under the Iron Gauntlet
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    Quote Originally Posted by Deepblue706 View Post
    What a dumb name.
    Try saying a smart one underwater.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    The 2E AD&D book Monster Mythology also had a writeup on Blip..., including stats for her avatar. Yell if you want me to look it up.
    "I had thought - I had been told - that a 'funny' thing is a thing of goodness. It isn't. Not ever is it funny to the person it happens to. Like that sheriff without his pants. The goodness is in the laughing. I grok it is a bravery... and a sharing... against pain and sorrow and defeat."

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SoD's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    Quote Originally Posted by Deepblue706 View Post
    What a dumb name.
    Blipdoolpoolp? A dumb name? Bah, Blipdoolpoolp is one of the better named deities in my opinion.

    Blipdoolpoolp, to me conjures up water dripping onto stone in a dark cave. And it's a great thing to say at any time! Blipdoolpoolp! It works great in chants as well. BlipdoolpoolpblipdoolpoolplipdoolpoolpBlipdoolpool pblipdoolpoolplipdoolpoolpBlipdoolpoolpblipdoolpoo lplipdoolpoolp
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

    Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

    Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.


    Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Closet_Skeleton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ēast Seaxna rīc
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    What I always found strange about Blipdoolpoolp is that she looks nothing like the Kuo-Toa. While the Kuo-Toa are fish/frogmen, the Sea Mother looks like a human with the head and pincers of a lobster, last I checked.
    Maybe that appearance is the human interpretation of her.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

    When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.


  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Neon Knight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    Quote Originally Posted by Premier View Post
    The 2E AD&D book Monster Mythology also had a writeup on Blip..., including stats for her avatar. Yell if you want me to look it up.
    Yell! Shout! Indication of interest!

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2007

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    I checked up Blippey in the MM under Kuo-Tua, and sure as sugar, she has a small paragraph under the entry. Evil, Desctruction and Water domains = sweetness! I haven't checked Complete Divine yet.

    I'm pretty sure I found a new favorite aquatic monster, displacing sahuagins and aboleths. After all, anything that worships something called 'Blipdoolpoolp' must mean business.

    As for the claw staff (the Exalted whips use them), are they statted anywhere? They're mentioned in the MM and shown in MM V, but the mechanics behind the grapple ability are not. All we need is to add Dagon to Kuo-Tua society (if he's not already part of it... I'll have to re-read his entry in FC I) and it'll be Lovecraftian gold.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned
     
    Mr. Friendly's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeFightwicky View Post
    I checked up Blippey in the MM under Kuo-Tua, and sure as sugar, she has a small paragraph under the entry. Evil, Desctruction and Water domains = sweetness! I haven't checked Complete Divine yet.

    I'm pretty sure I found a new favorite aquatic monster, displacing sahuagins and aboleths. After all, anything that worships something called 'Blipdoolpoolp' must mean business.

    As for the claw staff (the Exalted whips use them), are they statted anywhere? They're mentioned in the MM and shown in MM V, but the mechanics behind the grapple ability are not. All we need is to add Dagon to Kuo-Tua society (if he's not already part of it... I'll have to re-read his entry in FC I) and it'll be Lovecraftian gold.
    I know for sure that Underdark has the stats for the claw staff. I believe it is also listed in Savage Species. The version from Underdark does good damage, has reach and can do grapples.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Keld Denar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeFightwicky View Post
    I'm pretty sure I found a new favorite aquatic monster, displacing sahuagins and aboleths. After all, anything that worships something called 'Blipdoolpoolp' must mean business.
    Its worth noting that often, Kuo-tua are often allied with Abolith, if not in direct service of their more powerful underdark neighbors. Abolith often employ Kuo-Tua as slavers, venturing surfaceward to capture slaves for the abolith to either dominate using their vast mental manipulation powers, or convert into loyal skum forces.

    That said, Kuo-Tua are very very very very (very) chaotic. Only through strict (and often violent) control do the clergy and leaders keep control over an established society. Much fun can be had by players by infiltrating Kuo-Tua societ and inciting riots by assassinating key control figures, desecrating Kuo-Tua religious sites, destroying hatcheries, and otherwise causing chaotic beings to behave more chaotically than normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!
    _________________________________
    A beholder’s favorite foods include small live mammals, exotic mushrooms and other fungi, gnomes, beef, pork, colorful leafy vegetables, leaves, flower petals, insects, and birds.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SoD's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    However, I can see my players enjoying making fun of Blipdoolpoolp.

    ''Cap'n, there a big Blip on the radar! In fact, it's more than a Blip, it's a Blipdoolpoolp!''

    Aha. Ha. Not funny.

    ''The Kuo-toa worship a God(ess?) called Blipdoolpoolp.''
    ''So...they're fish-people who aren't mermaids who worship someone called Blipedyblop?''
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

    Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

    Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.


    Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    Try saying a smart one underwater.
    It's not so hard!

    I honestly think the name came about because somebody was trying to be funny. But, I suppose I should be more surprised about someone writing background information for D&D and NOT think it's absolutely sucktastic, rather than act so alarmed when seeing just another prime example of crap.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-11-27 at 02:01 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground
     
    nobodylovesyou4's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    around...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    actually, blipdoolpoolp is mentioned in Lords of Madness, under the Mindflayer section, in the premade adventure. the lair of the mindflayer used to be a temple to bilpdoolpoolp. thats where i first heard about cthu- i mean, blipdoolpoolp.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2007

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    Quote Originally Posted by lussmanj View Post
    Its worth noting that often, Kuo-tua are often allied with Abolith, if not in direct service of their more powerful underdark neighbors. Abolith often employ Kuo-Tua as slavers, venturing surfaceward to capture slaves for the abolith to either dominate using their vast mental manipulation powers, or convert into loyal skum forces.

    That said, Kuo-Tua are very very very very (very) chaotic. Only through strict (and often violent) control do the clergy and leaders keep control over an established society. Much fun can be had by players by infiltrating Kuo-Tua societ and inciting riots by assassinating key control figures, desecrating Kuo-Tua religious sites, destroying hatcheries, and otherwise causing chaotic beings to behave more chaotically than normal.
    That actually sounds like a neat adventure, and some underwater activities would be a cool switch from the ordinary. Time to get those creative thoughts flowing!

    Lords of Madness - check! Seems like she's had cameos in a ton of books of I've read through before...

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    Deep Ones don't worship Cthulhu.

    They worship Mother Hydra and Father Dagon.

    I'm just saying...
    Stoic (and apparently only) member of the Fanclub.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuckets View Post
    And then the Rock totally sneaks up and impales them both on an American flag.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Neon Knight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas

    Default Re: The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

    Quote Originally Posted by .... View Post
    Deep Ones don't worship Cthulhu.

    They worship Mother Hydra and Father Dagon.

    I'm just saying...
    They also worship Cthulhu. Father Dagon and Mother Hydra seem to be Cthulhu's lieutenants. In some sources, Mother Hydra is just a really big Deep One. There have been various interpretations over the years, but even in the most original Lovercraft sources it appears as if Father Dagon and Mother Hydra serve Cthulhu. Worshiping them is the same as worshiping him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •