New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Default Ideas for Dhampir Battlemaster

So the situation is we're starting at level 3. I decided on a Dhampir and went Str-based Fighter (Battlemaster) (attr Str>Con>Wis>Dex>Int>Cha). The basic character concept is a trained Mountaineer who externally is exasperated with citified folk getting themselves into trouble but internally a protector/caretaker and thrives on getting peoples teakettles out of the fire.

Rest of the party is
    Lizardfolk archery-focused Ranger (potentially diverting into Druid at some point)
    Drow wizard (unsure on mechanical specifics, but players always eventually slides into blaster mage)
    Half-elf rogue-wizard (enchanter).
    Campaign is FR, set in Miribar in the north -- lots of dwarves, plenty of tunnel/cave/maybe even actual dungeons to explore.

Anyways, I suspect I will be the front-liner much of the time. Dhampir bite seems pretty minor unless you hyperfocus on it. I suspect the wall-walking will have more impact, although that remains to be seen.

Does anyone have any ideas (either highly effective or highly fun) for what to do with this character in this situation? I could always just go sentinel+PAM+GWM with precise and tripping maneuvers and call it a day. Or something like grappling strike and pick up expertise in athletics and work that angle. The lack of healing means either Healer feat or dipping Life Cleric would be immensely useful (possibly with feats like resilient:wis and fey-touched [hex; misty step] to bump up the Wisdom). A battlemaster just as-is is pretty strong (provided I cajole people into short rests), so I can probably choose so sub-optimal feats for flavor if I want to.

Anyways, I'm just wondering aloud and asking if anyone has a suggestion. Thanks greatly!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Ideas for Dhampir Battlemaster

How long do you expect this one to run? I think that's a big question. No point in doing, say, a complicated multiclass situation if you're gonna be done by like 6 or 8.

For a longer game I could see going the PAM/sentinel route for control and then, with your half-decent WIS, sliding into Cleric for five levels to grab Spirit Guardians to make it even harder for things to get past you. (GWM optional--I suspect your party's gonna be fine on damage.) Life or Twilight makes sense for partywide survivability.

On the other hand, if you'd rather stay honed in on beating things with a stick, I'd aim for Fighter 6/Barb 4 or Fighter 8/Barb 3 to get the three feats plus Reckless Attacks. The barb side of things gives you survivability via rage, an easy source of advantage via Reckless, and a subclass feature (consider Ancestral to help keep your teammates out of harm's way).

I think Ranger also sounds like a flavorful option if you can make the stats work.

If your campaign is gonna be on the shorter end, stick to straight Fighter.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

I love a 1 lvl cleric dip for fighters - it's very handy even if it isn't optimal. I'd be very tempted to go Twilight for the initiative boost and dark vision.

I'm a huge fan of spider climb - my dhampir dexadin uses it all the time (even when there was no reason to) and only bit rarely. Grapple, drag up a wall, and drop for a little damage and prone can be handy too (especially if there are environmental hazards).

If you aren't dead set on BM, a pali might be a better fit for this party ... otherwise talk your ranger into goodberry.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Dalinar View Post
    How long do you expect this one to run? I think that's a big question. No point in doing, say, a complicated multiclass situation if you're gonna be done by like 6 or 8.
    It is hard to say. We have a tendency to run out of steam before, say, 13th level. Beyond that, I don't know. This is one of our alternate DMs (we have one guy who usually DMs; I sometimes do but not often because I already DM for an adult group and a kids group; and then this guy also sometimes tries his hand at it), so it really will depend on how long his interest/energy keeps going.

For a longer game I could see going the PAM/sentinel route for control and then, with your half-decent WIS, sliding into Cleric for five levels to grab Spirit Guardians to make it even harder for things to get past you. (GWM optional--I suspect your party's gonna be fine on damage.) Life or Twilight makes sense for partywide survivability.
    Battlemaster really likes getting to 7 or 8 (some of the other fighters 5 or 6 is fine), and cleric needs 5 for SG. That's unlikely to come up. a 1-3 level dip into life cleric for some healing, Shield of faith, Bless, and the rituals... that is more likely.

On the other hand, if you'd rather stay honed in on beating things with a stick,
    What I would like would be a few straightforward ways to be good at fighting (as you say, the party will damage things just fine) and then flesh out the ways I can be helpful however that goes. Battlemaster maneuvers in general are combat-changing. Add in PAM or sentinel or GWM (just for damage) or even martial adept just to have more situations to utilize the superiority dice probably will be enough. The question then becomes how to expand outward -- feats, dips, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    If you aren't dead set on BM, a pali might be a better fit for this party ... otherwise talk your ranger into goodberry.
    Thematic mismatch. Otherwise, yes that is a good other option.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

You could always go the Frightened route to try and lock down enemies from getting to your backline. Dipping Undead Warlock could be very thematic and works well with BM. There are some pretty decent spells for you including Bane which should synergize well with your party and helps you land your maneuvers.

If going the PAM route then Frighten can sort of substitute as Sentinel which frees up the feat for something else.

EDIT: If going this route it's probably a good idea to grab the Rally maneuver, it's not a replacement for healing but it will no doubt find use.
    Last edited by Sorinth; 2022-05-25 at 01:21 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

It is a nice thought. I don't have a 13 Cha, though.

Either Sentinel or PAM alone (or neither) might be enough. I think the DM wants this to be an RP-heavy game, and the survivability sliders might rise and lower to match that of which people are capable.