New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Plane shift vs force cage for hexblade

I am playing a human, HB warlock. I should be leveling to 13 the next time I play him. I’m trying to figure out what 7th mystic arcanum I want for him. I’m a front liner usually but at times I take the caster role if no one is filling it that day. I am looking at force cage for obvious reasons and because it can combo with concentration spells (ie sickening radiance).
    I am also looking at plane shift for its utility and versatility. It is also one of the few true save or sucks in the game. The offensive use is not the main focus though as it is single target, requires attack and save, and legendary resistance is a thing at this level.
    I like the No save/no concentration of force cage and the fact that I can cast into it if I use the cage version. It’s not the best on casters but it can sure nullify, and kill when comboed, brutes or anything that lacks teleportation and spells.
    I like the versatility of planar shift. I can generally go anywhere I want in the “multiverse”. That opens up a lot of options. It can also save the entire party from impending doom if things start going south. So I’m not sure. Both seem great to me and warlocks, being pseudo full casters, only ever pick one 7th level spells. So any thoughts or insights? Things I’m overlooking or may have gotten something wrong?
    Thx!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Plane shift vs force cage for hexblade

Plane Shift's power will depend a lot on the availability of the relevant tuning forks, since you need a different fork for each plane you want to hop to (including one for the Material if you ever want to get home, so two minimum).

The cost in gold is probably not a big deal at your level, but being able to obtain them is another matter. Check with your DM first about how tuning forks can be acquired in their setting and how difficult it will be to get them. If it seems like there's any doubt about how you can get them, I'd probably grab force cage - 1500gp in ruby dust is likely more easy to find than specially attuned planar forks.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Its going to heavily depend on three things:

1: Are ther other casters in the party with access to either spell

2: Are you guys traveling the planes a lot

3: Can your party teleport any other way

If you don't have any other spells that allow for long distance travel, and your adventure takes you off the material plane a lot, then you really want Plane Shift. If not, go for Forcecage.
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Forcecage is is really powerful and effective, but I'm personally at the point where I think immediately winning fights with no chance of failure or danger is sort of self defeating. Wheres the fun in that?

Obviously you can still get into fights where Forcecage doesn't even help much, but there are a lot of potentially interesting enemies that just completely shut down.